SM OU SD Mega-Pinsir + Magnezone Core

Favorite SuMo tier

• Total voters

Introduction: This is a team I built around one of my favorite cores; Mega-Pinsir and Magnezone.

The Team

Mega-Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sword Dance
- Frustration
- Quick Attack
- Earthquake

Mega-Pinsir is a force to be reckoned with. It has incredible wall breaking and sweeping potential . EVs and nature are self explanatory. SD is used for sweeping, Frustration for raw power, and Quick Attack for priority. Earthquake is chosen over Close Combat due to the fact that Magnezone traps most of Close Combat's targets and Earthquake hitting Pokemon such as Jirachi harder than Close Combat.

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 116 HP / 252 SpA / 140 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power Fire

Magnezone eliminates various Steel-types that give Pinsir trouble, particularly Skarmory. Magnezone also appreciates Pinisr eliminating Pokemon such as Amoongus. Thunderbolt and Flash Cannon are for STAB. Hidden Power Fire is used to hit Ferrothorn and Scizor. Volt Switch is used for momentum. Pinsir also likes being brought in with a slow Volt Switch. The spread is max SpA with a Modest nature for power, enough Spe to outspeed Mega-Scizor that are Speed creeped to outspeed Adament Alolan-Marowak, and the rest is put into HP for added bulk.

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 192 Def / 16 SpD / 52 Spe
Calm Nature
- Defog
- Taunt
- Moonblast
- Nature's Madness

Since Pinsir is very weak to Stealth Rocks and both Pinsir and Magnezone are weak to Fire, I added Tapu Fini to combat those weaknesses. Defog removes hazards. Taunt prevents hazards, recovery moves, and set up moves. Nature's Madness allows Fini to stallbreak more reliably. Moonbleast is a STAB attack that hits various Fairy weak Pokemon, most notably Ash-Greninja. The spread is the standard Fini spread meant to take on Ash-Greninja.

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 28 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Next I wanted a Rocker who could weaken opposing Landorus and remove Shed Shell from Skarmory.
EQ is for STAB, Knock Off to remove Shed Shells, and HP Ice to weaken opposing Lando-T for Pinsir. Stealth Rock is for residual damage. The EV spread is the standard Defensive Lando-T spread.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball

Next I wanted an Electric check who could also set up Spikes. Spikes are for residual damage, Leech Seed for recovery and more damage, and Power Whip and Gyro Ball are for STAB. The EV spread is the standard spread.

Greninja @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- Rock Slide
- U-turn
- Low Kick

For the last Pokemon I wanted a revenge killer. I picked Scarf Greninja since due to its diverse movepool and Protean, I could customize it to beat whatever I wanted. Ice Beam is for Dragons. Rock Slide is for Volcarona and Zard-Y. U-turn is for momentum. I originally had Gunk Shot for Tapu Lele and Tapu Koko, but since the team is weak to Heatran I changed it to a Low Kick. Since this set is mostly physical the EV spread is max Atk and Spe with the remaining 4 EVs put into SpA.

Conclusion
This is a team I greatly enjoyed. Its main weaknesses are Protean Greninja and Heatran. Other weaknesses include Gengar and Bronzong.

Original team Import
https://pastebin.com/mLu9ZD2j
Import with Ktütverde's changes
https://pastebin.com/8r91z786

Last edited:
I would really appreciate replacements for Greninja for when it gets banned.
Also on the poll at the top, even though SuMo NU and PU aren't out yet, I still included them that way people who view this thread when they are out can pick them if they want to.

Ktütverde

of course
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
Hi man cool team!
Knock off lando is deadly vs stall teams without zapdos or tangrowth and is a really clever choice!

I've been working on the magnezone-pinsir core for weeks so I would like to make some suggestions.
Ferrothorn is a really good mon but few builds manage to pair it with pinsir: indeed, most of these builds don't use pinsir as their central mon and don't rly mind if rocks are up. But it is obviously not the case since you are trying to support a pinsir-magnezone core. That's why I suggest you getting rid of ferro and add pretty much whatever you want. Oh, well not exactly.

Let's have a closer look to pinsir's effectiveness in OU:
-magnezone deals with tapu koko, skarmory, ferrothorn and celesteela making pinsir's sweeps easier. Volt switching on tangrowth means a kill or a big hole in the opponent's team thanks to the flying power of aerilate.
-However your core and team is extremely weak to zapdos: so running either kyuremB, weavile, tyranitar, nihilego is mandatory in a pinsir team.
-Scarf nihilego is extremely good when paired with magnezone, and allows you to run specs ash-greninja which is one of the best pokemons in the tier, and enjoys pinsir switching freely on tangrowth.
-Even tho koko is awesome in OU, don't slap ferrothorn too quickly and remember that a fast paced team leaves little room for koko to mess up your team, all the more so as most koko builds don't have ferrothorn or skarm, meaning you can use magnezone as a pivot vs koko, and use it with nihilego and landorus to gain your momentum back.

I have watched some good battles with pinsirs and played pinsir a lot, so I hope you'll give a try to these small changes. If needed I can save replays to show this synergy changes work, as long as you ask. I use a very similar team and it's really effective. Your knock off lando is a great addition too. Here are the new sets and importable:

Nihilego @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Power Gem
- Sludge Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunderbolt

Greninja-Ash @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Hydro Pump
- Water Shuriken
- U-turn

Pinsir-Mega (M) @ Pinsirite
Shiny: Yes
Happiness: 0
Jolly Nature
- Quick Attack
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Frustration

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Defog
- Taunt
- Nature's Madness
- Moonblast

Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Nihilego @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Power Gem
- Sludge Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunderbolt

Greninja (M) @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- U-turn
- Water Shuriken

Hi man cool team!
Knock off lando is deadly vs stall teams without zapdos or tangrowth and is a really clever choice!

I've been working on the magnezone-pinsir core for weeks so I would like to make some suggestions.
Ferrothorn is a really good mon but few builds manage to pair it with pinsir: indeed, most of these builds don't use pinsir as their central mon and don't rly mind if rocks are up. But it is obviously not the case since you are trying to support a pinsir-magnezone core. That's why I suggest you getting rid of ferro and add pretty much whatever you want. Oh, well not exactly.

Let's have a closer look to pinsir's effectiveness in OU:
-magnezone deals with tapu koko, skarmory, ferrothorn and celesteela making pinsir's sweeps easier. Volt switching on tangrowth means a kill or a big hole in the opponent's team thanks to the flying power of aerilate.
-However your core and team is extremely weak to zapdos: so running either kyuremB, weavile, tyranitar, nihilego is mandatory in a pinsir team.
-Scarf nihilego is extremely good when paired with magnezone, and allows you to run specs ash-greninja which is one of the best pokemons in the tier, and enjoys pinsir switching freely on tangrowth.
-Even tho koko is awesome in OU, don't slap ferrothorn too quickly and remember that a fast paced team leaves little room for koko to mess up your team, all the more so as most koko builds don't have ferrothorn or skarm, meaning you can use magnezone as a pivot vs koko, and use it with nihilego and landorus to gain your momentum back.

I have watched some good battles with pinsirs and played pinsir a lot, so I hope you'll give a try to these small changes. If needed I can save replays to show this synergy changes work, as long as you ask. I use a very similar team and it's really effective. Your knock off lando is a great addition too. Here are the new sets and importable:

Nihilego @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Power Gem
- Sludge Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunderbolt

Greninja-Ash @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Hydro Pump
- Water Shuriken
- U-turn

Pinsir-Mega (M) @ Pinsirite
Shiny: Yes
Happiness: 0
Jolly Nature
- Quick Attack
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Frustration

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Defog
- Taunt
- Nature's Madness
- Moonblast

Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Nihilego @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Power Gem
- Sludge Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunderbolt

Greninja (M) @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- U-turn
- Water Shuriken
I really like those ideas. I'll try those next time I play OU. Do you have any ideas for a Greninja replacement for when it gets banned? If so I would really like to hear your opinion.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)