Second Attempt at OU

Second Attempt at OU

This is my second attempt at an OU team, in which I tried using pokemon that I had not touched up to this point.

Machamp (M) @ Lum Berry
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 240 HP/248 Atk/4 Spd/16 SDef
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Bullet Punch
- Dynamicpunch
- Ice Punch
- Payback
This is a standard anti-lead set. I like the idea of being able to throw off opposing leads. This set has always been reliable for me on Shoddy Battle. Payback is extremely useful when I predict a switch into a Psychic-type or Gengar. It may need some adjustments, as I am often forced to switch into Skarm/Bliss, however, if I do this, neither Skarm nor Blissey is harmed much, and it allows me to status or set up spikes, and later on I have a bulky attacker with good coverage. Fire Punch was replaced with Ice Punch to provide better coverage. Thanks to Bloo for the suggestion.

Blissey (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Softboiled
- Seismic Toss
- Aromatherapy
- Toxic
I chose a cleric set and since I hope to draw out some time with SkarmBliss, I believe that Toxic is the most crippling status move that I could give this Blissey. Seismic Toss is there to hit low HP switch ins that expect a special move. After Seismic toss, I switch either to Skarmory or an appropriate sweeper.​

Skarmory (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 Spd Thank you to Bloo for noticing the lack of EVs on Skarmory, which explains a lot about why it was dying on Shoddy when it shouldn't have died.
Impish nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Roost
- Brave Bird
- Spikes
- Whirlwind
Brave Bird for a powerful STAB hit. This is my Phazer. I hope to set up spikes with this guy since my lead doesn't throw down SR or Spikes. Between him and Blissey, I hope to draw out how long he is in the game with Roost.​

Gengar (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt
This is one of my favorite pokemon in general and I began the team by building it around him. This has been the most reliable set for Gengar that I have played. I am open to experimenting with him a little. Set up a substitute if possible. Then with Ghost and Fighting type neutral coverage, and Thunderbolt for water and flying types, you can hopefully hit the opponent's pokemon well.​

Flygon (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Atk/252 Spd/4 SDef
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
Flygon has a very good STAB move in Earthquake, that makes enemy Steel types think twic. Since it is the scarf set, it can take out opposing Flygons. Also, as a result U-Turn is very useful for scouting out Flygon counters early in the game and also works very well for mind-games. This is intended to be a late game sweeper after its counters or pokemon that can hit it hard with an ice attack have been taken out.

Sceptile (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 28 HP/228 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast
I needed to round out some weaknesses in the team and as a result chose this guy. It sports HP Ice to take out flying and dragon types. Grass Knot for Swampert and Energy Ball for reliable STAB. I am not too happy with putting Focus Blast on the set, but I couldn't think of a better option. This is something I am very willing to change. So far, this set has worked wonders for me, since very few people can read which set Sceptile is using. If enemy Swamperts stay in hoping to live through an Energy Ball, they are surprised by Grass Knot. Grass Knot was replaced with Leaf Storm. Dragon Pulse in place of HP Ice for htting dragon types was added, making room for HP Fire.

Feel offer any criticisms and suggestion that you have. I am a bit new to the metagame, so I am looking to improve how I build teams. Thanks.​

Bloo

Banned deucer.
You've forgotten to include an EV spread on Skarmory. Please add one at your earliest convenience :). I also have a few small suggestions that will hopefully work out better for you! Use Ice Punch over Fire Punch on Machamp. Ice Punch is the favorable move over Fire Punch because it allows Machamp to handle lead Gliscor, Roserade, and Dragonite. It also scores a super effective hit on Flygon. Ice Punch in conjunction with Bullet Punch also allows you to take down lead Aerodactyl's without having to waste DynamicPunch's PP. The only benefit Fire Punch has is that it nails a super effective hit on Steel-types like Scizor, Skarmory, and Forretress, all of which are hit relatively hard by DynamicPunch. Ice Punch's benefits outweigh Fire Punch's use, so I'd recommend giving it a try!

Also, Grass Knot + Energy Ball on Sceptile is superfluous. You don't need two Grass-type moves. One of those move slots could be used to acquire more coverage. I recommend ditching Grass Knot in favor of Leaf Storm. Sceptile is a frail, powerful sweeper. It's meant to come in and dish out as much damage as possible. Leaf Storm allows you to do just that, seeing as Leaf Storm is the strongest Grass-type move Sceptile has in its arsenal. Leaf Storm is significantly stronger than Grass Knot and will allow you to deal some serious damage to your opponent. The only downside is the special attack drop; however, you're probably going to be switching out with Sceptile after you attack, so it shouldn't be a big deal.

If you decide to go with Leaf Storm, replace Energy Ball with Dragon Pulse. Dragon Pulse allows you to do what HP Ice is currently doing: eliminate Dragon-types. With Dragon Pulse, you don't need HP Ice, so replace it with HP Fire. It will allow you to hit the Steel-types that would otherwise wall you. This means you will be able to hit Pokémon like Skarmory super effectively and kill any Scizor foolish enough to switch-in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)