Second LC Smogcast

prem

failed abortion
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
hey so we are gonna have a second smogcast in the near future to talk about the new metagame, but before we pick a day to do it, we need to know who can participate and what everyone wants to talk about. theres no tentative date because honestly i havent planned that far ahead, but hopefully in the next 2 or 3 weeks it will happen

If you'd like to be a panelist on our second Smogcast, please pm me the following application within the next couple of weeks:

Smogon username:
Time Zone:
Availability on within the next 2 or 3 weeks:
Why should you be a panelist (few sentences):

outside of that give us questions or topics to talk about like how the metagame and new stuff. or hype corner. idk honestly just stuff you want to see us talk about and we will probably get to it :)

What things will likely (or have) come in to take the place of Gligar, particularly its roles as a general fighting-type check (offensively and defensively) and as a SR layer/defogger?

Is Knock Off really as good as it's hyped up to be, and why?

Perhaps elaborate on why Meditite is so good all of a sudden, and fighting-types in general (I already know, but for the less informed viewers).

chimp

Go Bananas
is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
What became of Sun after Tangela?
How much Knock Off should a team use? (I've seen teams with up to 4 knock offers)
Best Defoggers now that Gligar is gone?
Discussing Meditite and its amazingness

QUESTIONS:

Do you think Gen 6 LC will look like Gen 5 LC if we keep on banning things (mainly Meditite and Berry Juice)?

What 4 moves do you use on meditite? (I'm sure each LC'er has their signature combination)

Is SturdyJuice broken?

Is Torchic Pass dead now that Gligar has been banned?

HYPE CORNER:

Trubbish (cmon prem you can't skip this one)

Honedge (fk meditite)

Houndour (2hko everything)

Can stall be used effectively now that two monsters are gone from the meta? (Gligar and swirlix).

Theory mon hype anyone?

How important are entry hazards? Is Defog worth running on any given team?
Discussion on bulky fire types!
How big of a role do regen cores play in the meta? What is your way of dealing with them outside of Knock Off spam?
Why is Berry Juice not banned (some people probably want this explained by the top players), how much does it add to the game in your opinion?
Purrloin>Cottonee y/n?

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
What's the biggest impact of Gen VI on LC, whether it's the unbanning of certain mons like Meditite, Berry Juice, the new type chart, or just some new mons?
What do you guys personally do when you want to find the "next big thing" since the top players tend to run stuff that isn't as popular?

Also, I dare you guys to discuss something along the lines of Briyella's setup thread. Or just discuss what she did. :)

Do entry hazards matter in LC?
How has the new typing changed the LC gameplay?
How do you see the game changing in the future (new bans/unbans, movestyles, etc.)

• Discuss new top-tier threats that have arisen, maybe not arisen, but are more prevalent, without Swirlicute+Gligar: Meditite, Misdreavus, Murkrow, Pawniard, SturdyJuicers
  • Discuss how ugly Carvanha is and how it should be banned for being so ugly
  • Discuss new gimmicks arising in the tier: Trubbish, Skorupi, Stunky, Wynaut, etc. (though Wynaut really isn't a gimmick, as it is a solid answer to Meditite, and arguably the best tbh)
  • Discuss how overhyped Knock Off is, and if it is really worth it to run multiple Knock Offers on the same team, also mention how Trubbish is a complete stop to many common Knock Offers in the tier. (Including Pawniard, Timburr, Mienfoo, Vullaby, etc.)
  • Discuss if Bunnelby is really as good as its viability placement suggests. (I mostly want this to be talked about because I personally do not understand why it is in A-tier)
  • Discuss how much Swirlicute and Gligar are missed
  • Is Stealth Rock Pawniard a good choice for SR? (Mention how it's a great core with Spritzee+Trubbish)
  • The use of Cubone on Torchic Pass now that Gligar is banned.
  • Is Spike stacking really worth it?
HYPE
  • TRUBBISH!!! Really phenomenal Spike stacker, and great partner to Stealth Rock Pawniard
  • Mention how Pawniard and Misdreavus should be in S-rank on viability due to being amazing.

Last edited:
Should Knock Off be used more as a tactical move (used for its effects, like Body Slam or Scald) or as a strong, common Dark-type move?

Will Berry Juice stay unbanned this gen?

Questions
  • First off, and most obviously, Berry Juice. How has it impacted the meta? Could it be considered unhealthy for the meta (and if so, in which situations)? I personally like the variety and new strategies that berry juice brings a lot, but discuss away
  • Prankster+Confusion: How much do you enjoy losing to teams of Cottonee, Murkrow, Riolu, etc. using this complex, top-tier strategy? lol but seriously, why is it as common as it is?
  • What are the best ways to deal with Knock Off? (switch-ins, abilities, etc)
HYPE HYPE HYPE!
  • Discuss why Spritzee is currently the best thing ever! It's the master of Wish+Aromatherapy support since it can't be taunted, and it has Calm Mind to become an offensive/defensive threat. Plus, it's a great answer to nearly every fighting type in the tier.
  • Snover guys! It got like 2.65% usage last month (below stuff like Cubone and Aron) and I'm not entirely sure why. Scarf Snover still does Blizzspam pretty well, there is priority working against it and whatnot, but that was there last gen too...
  • trubbish new meta imo

-A lot of the major threats in this meta are cockblocked by Chinchou. What's the best way to get around this top-tier defensive threat?

-Fletchling: Bulky or speedy? Both have their benefits.

Hype: Why is HEAD SMASH Archen so good?

Questions:

How effective are hazards now since the best hazard remover is gone?

Why are fighters so freaking amazing, and how does Pawniard hold its ground as one of the best pokes in the meta?

What is up with all the new sets? (ResTalk Chinchou, Thief Murkrow, etc.)

What happened to Torchic Passing?

Hype:

With the rise of Fighters and Fairies, does Trubbish deserve the hype its getting? (it does)
Does Honedge deserve hype?

Edit: I has most likes, you must discuss these things

Last edited:
Questions:
How do you deal with Meditite currently? As quite possibly the most dominant force in this current meta, what strategies are effective in dealing with this massive threat?

With Gligar now banned, how have hazards been effected? Would you say they are currently useful, or still not as good as they once were?

Fighters in general have been on the rise lately. What, in your opinions, has contributed to this? Have Fighters returned to their original roles of Bulky sweepers, or do they still fit more comfortably in the archtype of support/pivots?

If you could ban/unban/change any one thing in the current Little Cup metagame, what would it be?

HYPE:
Why has Snubbull not been hyped? It has a pretty easy time dealing with Meditite in my personal experience, and is a pretty dang good pokemon currently. (All arguments about Pawniard switching in and getting boosts are ludicrous and hogwash >:I)

Scarfed Magnemite isn't getting the respect it deserves! The thing is a monster in this current meta! The ability to outspeed and escape common fighters with Volt Switch is pretty awesome, and a Modest Flash Cannon does a pretty good chunk to standard Spritzee (I think it was like 73%, killed the damn thing :0)

Lastly, let me jump aboard the Trubbish hype train. Doesn't lose an item to Knock Off, decently bulky, access to Drain Punch and the Gunk Shot make this majestic bag of trash a pretty cool mon.

Questions:
Will Meditite be banned eventually?
Are psychic types absolutely not viable because of the abundance of knock off? (Why do I never see any psychic types)
Is Pawniard broken?
Should knock off be banned due to most mons dependence on evio?

Hype:
- Riolu
- Helioptile

Star

is a Tournament Directoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Past SPL Championis the defending RU Circuit Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OGC & Tour Head
Questions:

Is this meta stale and just become more stale if we continue to ban pokemon like Meditite?
What should we use on Meditite (The god damn 4MSS)?
How good are hazards with the Gligar (the best defogger) ban? Are they worth using or worth running Defog for?

Hype

TRUBBISH (Fighting and Fairies are rampant and this boy is solid)

Honedge (Honestly screw Meditite)

CHINCHOU (this guy shits on so many offensive threats it just needs some special attention)

Edit: I was more or less completely ninjad by everybody above me .-.

Anthiese

formerly Jac
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
incoming mad about how hard i was ninja'd but getting over it NOW

I wanna talk the following things:

-how the Kalos pokemon are fitting in this new generation
-Fairy typing's changes on the meta
-How move changes (ie knock off, crit mechanics changes) changed our metagame

• Why Chic pass is the most annoying thing ever
  • How much would Pawniard still be used if Knock Off was banned?
  • Is Sturdy + Juice broken? SS Tirt + SS Dwebble?
Hype Q's
  • Why is Murkrow not used to every team
  • 1 hour segment analyzing Bunny's cuteness
  • Seriously, why isn't Krow on every team?
  • KROWLING DOUBLE BIRD OFFENSE

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
talk about ways round the most common, 'broken' mons like krow, missy, tite etc...
hyping of cool cores/teambuilding advice is always good

how the meta game would change if knock off is banned
versatile pokemon with knock off like vullaby (i personally im scared when i see it :p )
strong fight pokemon
bunnelby... ._.
mienfoo = u-turn+ regenarator + HJK + knock off
fat cows and when i say fat cows i mean versatile mons like vullaby,spritzee chinchou
murkrow <3 wallbreaker heat wave/brave bird/suckerpunch/roost totally walled and checked by chinchou ._.
Phantump lum berry+harvest+rest a check for mienfoo <3
also spritzee <3

hype
banning knock off and the consequences, as an example recycle+berry juice being overused by surdy mons like magnamite or without like trubbish or psychic would shine again?
switching on powerful knock off user's

also post it on youtube please so i can watch it even if i miss the pod cast <3 thanks...ban lupponynite

Last edited:
The only thing i want... IS FOR CLEFFA TO LEARN COSMIC POWER!!! ~ Eviolite + defensive stat boosts are so ridiculous, a Clefairy in the OU tier can pull it off! Also, Clefairy gets Moonlight, but Cleffa cant! >:[

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Why don't people use Flash cottonee?
Why don't people use Flash Purrloin?
How bad is dcae on a regular basis?
Why is Bunnelby so good?
What would happen if Berry Juice was banned?
Is the metagame slowly turning into BW LC?
Why does Lunatic Lies suck?
Why isn't Fletchling used more? How much better would it be if it learned Brave Bird???

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)