ORAS OU Semi-Balanced Bulky Offensive Team

So, I wanted to get into the more balanced play style (used HO mostly previously). This is the team I created and I would like some pointers on how to improve it.

Mega Scizor
Nature : Adamant
Item : Scizorite
Ability : Technician
EV'S : 252 Attack/248 Health/8 SdDef
Moves : Bullet Punch, Knock Off, Roost, Swords Dance
Fairly standard set-up Scizor became the base of this team. It's favorite pokemon and I have experience using it, plus it works well as a bulky sweeper. Seemed like perfect start for a more bulky based balance kind of team I was aiming for. Bullet is used as it's Scizor's best attack with SD and Roost for sustain and set-up combination. Of course knock off is standard to deal with multiple threats like non-speed invested Heatran although I'm think maybe quick attack would be better as I has priority and technician boost (pursuit doesn't really make sense on set-up Scizor imo). Or maybe there is just a better move for that 4th slot I'm not thinking of.

Thundurus Therain
Nature : Timid
Item : Choice Scarf
Ability : Volt Absorb
EV'S : 252 SpAtt/252 Speed/4 SdDef
Moves : Thunderbolt, FocusBlast, HP Ice, U-turn
I know it's odd choice for a more bulky offensive team build but I needed a fast powerful special pokemon. I juggled between AV Torn-T and Scarf Thun-T and I felt as though Thundurus was the better choice as I needed more raw power. U-turn for switching and momentum gaining, you know stuff like that, Thunderbolt as it's Thundurus's most powerful electric stab (with 100% accuracy), with FocusBlast and HiddenPower-Ice for coverage moves. Basically this set and Scizor's earlier mentioned set are the sweepers for this team.

Azumarill
Nature : Adamant
Item : Lum Berry
Ability : Huge Power
EV'S : 252 Attack/248 HP/8 SdDef
Moves : PlayRough, Waterfall, Aqua Jet, Superpower
Again, an odd set. My team struggled with Mega-Sableye so a lum Azumarill against an obvious M-Sable lead beats the priority willo-wisp with the lum and Playrough ohko's. Lum is also just a nice utility to keep up offensive pressure without needing to swap into a heal bell user. Waterfall and Aqua Jet are just nice stab moves for damage and Superpower is to catch Ferrothorns off guard. ( I know superpower doesn't KO but it cripples the bulky wall so it still serves a purpose).

Goodra
Nature : Modest
EV'S : 252 SpAtt/248 HP/8 Def
Item : Assault Vest
Ability : Sap Sipper
Moves : Ice Beam, Flamethrower, Dragon Pulse, Sludge Wave
Bulky offensive mon with ice beam and flamethrower coverage for very common mons. Lando,Chomp,Gliscor,Ferro,Scizor,etc. With dragon pulse for stab, I picked D-pulse over D-meteor as Goodra's main purpose is to poke holes into enemy in order to set-up a sweep as opposed to straight up Ko'ing and the SpAtt drop would prevent the consecutive attacks that makes Goodra preform as a hole puncher. SludgeWave over T-bolt was a solid choice with all the fairy-types running around in OU. As Clefable is a common switch-in to Goodra sludge wave can 2 shot the Physically Defensive Calm Mind version of Clef. Basically Azumarill and Goodra serve the purpose of hole puncher suicide pokemon that set up the sweep for Scizor or Thundurus. Not to mention their types work well together synergy wise.

Hippowdon
Nature : Bold
EV'S : 252 Def/248 HP/ 8 SdDef
Item : Rocky Helmet
Ability : Sand Stream
Moves : Stealth Rock, Whirlwind, Slack Off, Yawn
This pokemon is the Physical Wall meant to soak up physical damage, recover it off, and deal damage to contact move users with rocky helmet and sandstorm combo. Stealth rock for passive damage as the opponent switches, whirlwind to phase ( removing the stats of opposing wall breakers ) and rack up SR damage, slack off for healing, and yawn to force more switches or put a pokemon in a position to be KO'ed or set-up on by Scizor.

Chansey
Nature : Bold
EV'S : 252 Def/248 HP/ 8 SdDef
Item : Eviolite
Ability Natural Cure
Moves : Thunder Wave, Toxic, Soft Boiled, Aromatherapy
And finally the Special wall. I chose Chansey as it preforms as one of the best special walls in OU. Dual status in toxic and T-wave to stop sweepers that try to set-up on Chansey or just in general cripple the opposition. Soft boiled is for sustain. Aromatherapy is for clearing the team of status. Fairly self-explanatory.

So this is my team. I know it has flaws and room for improvement, that's why I'm here. So please offer your advice. It would be much appreciated.

Sobi

Banned deucer.
Hey there, DeadBolt1911! Welcome to Smogon. You've got a decent team here, though I feel that it is slightly semi-stall / balanced, and not necessarily bulky offense, due to the choice of mons. Moreover, after playing with the team on the ladder, I came to the conclusion that some of your Pokemon were too passive to do what they needed to do effectively, and just ended up as set-up fodder for the opposing Pokemon. Chansey and Hippowdon are both susceptible to Taunt, which completely breaks them down, forcing you to either click 'Struggle', or break momentum by hard-switching into one of your other Pokemon, which can prove fatal if entry hazards are down, seeing as you lack any form of hazard removal. Mega Scizor's EV spread doesn't match the role you gave it, which is why I would recommend you a spread of 248 HP / 44 Atk / 16 Def / 200 SpD with an Impish nature as it avoids the OHKO from Clefable's Fire Blast, as well as Landorus-T's Earthquake. The Special Defense EVs are fairly crucial, as your Scizor kept dying to super effective Fire-types moves, so investing more EVs in SpDef helps against that problem.
Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Atk / 16 Def / 200 SpD
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off

My next recommendation is to go with Bulk Up Talonflame > Goodra as this helps against opposing bulky Scizor and Charizard Y. Furthermore, Goodra doesn't bring anything to the team, except for a special attacker, and doesn't patch up any primary weaknesses of your own, but rather brings more. Bulk Up Talonflame also provides a check to Mega Gardevoir, Venusaur, and Heracross. It also gives you a nice win-con, as you can successfully sweep after a boost or two from Bulk Up.
Talonflame
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Acrobatics
- Roost
- Bulk Up
- Will-O-Wisp

Now, I suggest going for Clefable > Thundurus-T. Clefable has the defensive and offensive capabilities to withstand hits (unlike Thundurus-T), and, in return, can deal a lot of damage to the foe, whether it be from running an offensive set, or from setting up with Calm Mind. Clefable also helps against set-up sweepers, thanks to Unaware, improving its matchup against Slowbro, SubCalm Keldeo, and Suicune, as well as some others. However, if you feel that the type synergy is crucial, go for Raikou instead! It's fast and powerful, has access to some hard-hitting STAB moves, and can pivot out of the field with Volt Switch. Whether you choose Clefable or Raikou is totally up to you!
Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Moonlight
- Heal Bell

Raikou @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice
- Volt Switch

With Azumarill, I highly suggest you go for the Choice Band set because it's one of your team's primary wallbreakers, and it needs to be able to hit as hard as possible. The difference in damage between the current set, and the Choice Band is noteworthy, and can score you some extra KO's, which is what you generally want to aim for.
Azumarill @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Superpower

Hippowdon's set is fine, but I think you should tweak the current spread and moveset a bit. Whilst you do want Hippowdon to be a physical wall, I think a mixed wall would be much more appropriate, as there are equally as many special attackers as there are physical attackers in the tier, and if you focus on Hippowdon being a physical wall, special attackers such as Starmie can come in, and wreck Hippowdon, so a mixed wall spread would be better. The spread is 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD. I also think you should go for Earthquake / Stone Edge > Yawn. Like I said earlier on, Talonflame or any other Pokemon can come in, and Taunt Hippowdon, meaning that it is stuck as it has no attacking moves. This meant I had to use Struggle or hard-switch out, which is generally not what you want to do. Earthquake hits Ice-types like Weavile for decent damage, and Stone Edge hits Talonflame and other Flying-type Pokemon.
Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off
- Stone Edge

Finally, you should try Latios > Chansey. Latios provides your team with some offensive presence, while also being a good Scald switch-in, allowing Azumarill to run a Choice Band / Belly Drum set successfully without having to worry about bulky Waters too much. Chansey didn't bring anything to the team, beside a slow cleric, and it was also Taunt bait. The reason I chose Latios is because it provides your team with Defog support, easing the pressure off Talonflame, and allowing it to carry out its role effectively. Latios can also hit hard, so there's no worry of passivity, unlike Chansey.
Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost
- Defog

• [set]
  • >
  • /
    >
  • [set]
  • >

Last edited:
Thank you for taking the time to rate my team. I'll might make these changes but I do have a concerns.

Overall I fell like most of the changes are great for my team. Altough on the subject of Hippowdon, wouldn't I be better off switching it out for T-tar? I mean it has reasonable bulk and the SdDef boost in a sandstorm. Plus if I end up going Clef over Raikou then I have a more reliable counter to opposing Talonflame and T-tar can tank non-super effective moves fairly well with sandstorm up.

Sobi

Banned deucer.
Thank you for taking the time to rate my team. I'll might make these changes but I do have a concerns.

Overall I fell like most of the changes are great for my team. Altough on the subject of Hippowdon, wouldn't I be better off switching it out for T-tar? I mean it has reasonable bulk and the SdDef boost in a sandstorm. Plus if I end up going Clef over Raikou then I have a more reliable counter to opposing Talonflame and T-tar can tank non-super effective moves fairly well with sandstorm up.
No problem n_n
Tyranitar does seem like a good pokemon to use - you can run Chople Berry on it to survive a Focus Blast from Gengar and Alakazam. Tyranitar also has better offensive stats as well, so that's something to consider!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)