Semi-Stall Hail Team

This is my first RMT and indeed my first post on these forums so if I've done something wrong I apologise. Anyway.

My Hail Team

Introduction

It was snowing in Canada where I live and therefore I decided to make a hail team. Plus I hadn't seen many and wanted to see if it could be done well. Anyway, this team is kind of a semi-stall team using hail, Toxic, Stealth Rock and burn to inflict damage. The offence I've got comes mostly courtesy of Alakazam and Blizzard spam. Slowbro does his best as well. I've had a decent amount of success with this team and I win a good portion of the time. However I'm eager to see what the community thinks and what suggestions they have for me. This team has undergone considerable changes since its inception as it's now labelled Hail Team 1.6 (1.0 originally), unfortunately I can't remember the changes I've made in any detail so I won't be able to do a team building section.

In-depth

Abomasnow (Obamasnow) @ Leftovers
Ability: Snow Warning
Calm Nature (-Atk/+SpDef)
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 Sp
Leech Seed
Substitute
Protect
Blizzard

Well it wouldn't be much of a hail team without this guy would it? He's your standard SubSeed set and I've found him quite valuable for my team. I originally ran a scarfed set and found it utterly useless. He's often my go to guy against water or electric Pokemon (like the horribly annoying Rotom W), and Leech Seed with Hail up in conjunction with Protect often allows him to take his opponents down to just over half health if he seeds them when they switch in before he's forced to switch out. Blizzard is there to allow him to do some decent damage against a wide range of opponents. However I'm not entirely happy with Substitute. I find that often when I put up a sub the opponent simply switches to something else that sets up all over this guy and I usually switch out to avoid losing then and there, wasting it. I'm considering switching Substitute to Giga Drain so that he's able to do more reliable damage to water Pokemon like Politoad who loves to switch in and remove my hail. I'm also up for suggestions on his EV spread as I'm no good at them and often just use the standard Smogon set. I'm honestly not sure why his speed is where it is and I'm considering putting that into special defence for extra bulk.

Slowbro (D+) @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
Bold Nature (-Atk/+Def)
EVs: 216 HP / 252 Def / 42 SpAtk
Scald
Blizzard
Slack Off
Flamethrower

Full credit goes to kalamadude for this set. I pretty much took it directly from his Sanctuary team which I was playing around with before building this team. All I did was replace Ice Beam with Blizzard because what's the point of a hail team if you can't spam 100% accurate Blizzards all over the place? I really like this Pokemon, he's got great coverage and Flamethrower has good surprise value, plus he's so easy to keep alive with Regenerator. Although I haven't found Flamethrower as useful on this team as it was on Sanctuary so I'm considering replacing it with possibly Thunderwave or Trick/Choice Specs in order to cripple more Pokemon. I use him basically as a physical wall to sponge powerful hits from scary dragon Pokemon and other strong sweepers and retaliate with Blizzard, then switch out and regain some health. Regenerator also allows him to stay quite healthy throughout the battle despite the hail cancelling out the leftovers.

Alakazam (Flashy) @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
Timid Nature (-Atk/+Sp)
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpAtk / 252 Sp
Psyshock
Shadow Ball
Focus Blast
Substitute

Named after Harry Paget Flashman from George MacDonald Fraser's Flashman series for the exquisite facial hair they both sport, Alakazam is my main sweeper and revenge killer. He's extremely quick and powerful and takes no damage from hail or entry hazards which is a blessing for this team. He's got great coverage (although Focus Blast's accuracy leaves something to be desired but that can't be helped) and often scares out opposing Pokemon letting him set up a sub for free and go on a little bit of a sweep, often taking out Pokemon that he wouldn't be able to OHKO. He's scared of both scarfers and Scizor so I keep him away from the metal bug, and play him extremely cautiously when I suspect someone's scarfed. Otherwise he's probably my MVP. Or at least most dangerous player.

Gliscor (S. Harper) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Toxic Heal
Impish Nature (-SpAtk/+Def)
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Sp
Earthquake
Toxic
Protect
Taunt

Named after our glorious Prime Minister as they're both overgrown malevolent bats, Gliscor is another of my physical walls and often I lead with him as I feel that putting out Abomasnow first is usually too predictable. However it all depends on what the other team is packing. Taunt is useful against walls or baton passers, while I can Toxic on the switch. Or just Protect if I'm not sure what the opponent is going to do, allowing my Toxic Orb to activate. Protect is also useful when I'm trying to stall out a Pokemon as hail and toxic can add up very quickly. Plus he still gains health in hail due to Toxic Heal.

Tentacruel (No Name) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Rain Dish
Bold Nature (-Atk/+Def)
EVs: 204 HP / 208 Def / 96 Sp
Rapid Spin
Toxic Spikes
Scald
Blizzard

Probably the Pokemon I'm least happy with on this team and therefore undeserving of a proper nickname, Tentacruel is my spinner. However I've not found that he is living up to what he's supposed to do. I often seem to have trouble spinning, and pretty much never have time to set up both layers of Toxic Spikes. Maybe I'm just bad at playing this game. However he is often useful against rain teams. The set is pretty much self explanatory, Scald is there for the burns, Blizzard is there to be spammed as usual. I find he has a lot of overlap in defensive coverage with Slowbro and I'm beginning to think that one of them needs to go, at least temporarily. Suggestions are very much appreciated.

Heatran (Fire Tick) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
Calm Nature (-Atk/+SpDef)
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpDef / 8 Sp
Lava Plume
Stealth Rock
Roar
Will-O-Wisp

Heatran fulfils multiple roles on the team. He's my phazer, hazard setter and another special wall. Will-O-Wisp is there over Toxic as I already have two Pokemon to spread poison and to cripple physical attackers while Lava Plume is my only attack. I would love to run Air Balloon on him but he and Hail don't get along without Leftovers so that's out of the question. Heatran is my best counter to sun teams, aside from those with Volcarona running HP Ground, but I have no idea how to counter that monster short of Blissey. However recently I've felt that something might need to change for Heatran too as in the last few days he hasn't seemed to effective. I'd kind of like to put Earth Power on him but I don't know what to lose to get it. Possibly Will-O-Wisp? It does make nervous not being able to reliably burn things though.

Possible Changes

I really would like a cleric for this team to make it a bit more durable so I'm considering dropping Tentacruel for a Vaporeon with Wish, Protect, Heal Bell and Scald. Celebi has also crossed my mind as a possibility for using Heal Bell, plus then I could have Thunderwave on him as well which would be useful. Unfortunately this leaves me without any spinner at all which isn't good. I've thought about using a Forretress with Overcoat but I'm not sure who I should drop in that case. Anyway, please rate and give suggestions!

Nice hail team! First off, it looks like LO Sheer Force Landorus is a huge threat to this team. He can outspeed & OHKO almost everything on your team with Earth Power & HP Ice. Alakazam can heavily damage it, but will be OHKO'd in return and if hes dead and if Slowbro is in KO range, its game over. LO Sheer Force Nidoking does the same, except its outspeed & OHKO'd by Alakazam. I therefore would recommend a physical Abomasnow set consisting of Ice Shard in order to check Landorus. Wood Hammer could also be used to hit Politoed & T-Tar to help win weather wars, and it could still be a defensive pivot.

Secondly, Trick Room Reuncluis can set up on almost all of your team and wreck havoc. I think Focus Sash over Life Orb on your Alakazam could help you. It guarantees you get at least one SE Shadow Ball off, and can help you get at least two hits on slower, non-priority users. Thanks to Magic Guard, weather & status won't break his sash. If you choose to do this, I'd replace Substitute (since it defeats the purpose of a sash) with a coverage move like HP Ice/Fire

This team looks like it can work but it's just a matter of if the other team doesn't have a cert ant poke and you cannot rely on that. teams need to atleast cover the top ladder poke and check a few along the way and have room for some more, can never be too comfy when constructing a team cuz when i look here i see lack of recovery and those stealth rocks and such will destroy you.

Honus

magna carta
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hey man, cool team, not a bad first post either

Anyways Landorus has the potential to be a huge dick to this team, given that it can OHKO Gliscor and Abomasnow, while outspeeding and 2HKOing the rest of the team with Earth Power. I'm gonna just be honest and say Landorus has very few counters [Cress and Gyarados] and either would sort of prove detrimental to this team. Despite not having a hard counter, I think you can take a few steps to mitigate the threat of Landorus a bit. One of these would be to run an Offensive Abomasnow with Ice Shard rather than the current one that you're running. In my opinion Offensive Abomasnow is one reason why hail is so potent, it has a variety of attacks and its typing makes it hard for any Pokemon to really be a great stop to; Abomasnow is able to hit Scizor, Heatran, p much anything while Ice Shard provides great priority STAB. Another Pokemon that looks annoying for this team is Rotom-W; he's able to hit 4 team members super-effectively and Abomasnow is really your only check [a smart player could force it in while SR is up, though, spelling problems for your team], Alakazam has a hard time switching it, taking a nice 83.73% - 99.21% from 252 modest Hydro Pump, and 45.24% - 53.57% timid Volt Switch, so it can probably only come in once. Aside from Offensive Abomasnow, I think you could maybe try a SubCM Latias>Alakazam to use as the team's sweeper, as it is a nice check to both Keldeo and Rotom-W. SubCM Latias is a poke that really works excellent with Toxic Spikes, allowing it to beat stuff like Blissey, Hippowdon and Jellicent; Tyranitar hates Tspikes too so you can wear it down.

Abomasnow (M) @ Expert Belt
Trait: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 Atk / 112 SAtk / 144 Spd
Lonely Nature (+Atk, -Def)
- Wood Hammer
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake

Latias (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Substitute
- Roost
- Dragon Pulse

Thanks for the advice Honus and i Darky, I'll try your suggestions and see how they go. And I have found Landorus difficult to deal with in the past.

akuto, do you have any specific Pokemon you're talking about beyond the ones the others mentioned?

And if anyone has advice on a spinner for me, or thinks I should just keep Tentacruel as it is I'd appreciate it.

I wonder why you are not playing Walrein he is a beast under hail and with toxic spikes on tentacruel
he will stall for days ^_^. Another thing is that u should try a different set on aboma

Walrein @leftovers
trait:icy body
nature:calm

252Hp/252SpD /4SpA

Substitute
billzard
surf
protect

And

Abomasnow (M) @ Life orb
Trait: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 Atk/252speed/4Hp
Hard Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Swordsdance
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake

I would take out slowbro for walrein

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)