Senate Declares U.S. to be a "Battleground"

You're the troll.

Could it be simply possible for someone to post his opinion, no matter how conflictual with yours and that of the majority, without being called a troll?
Veedrock is either a troll or deluded, Outlaw is just giving him the benefit of the doubt.

There's no way I'm going to answer to all of this, so I'll just pick and choose some fun parts:
This is true, and I suppose the complacence is why I have no inherent problem with it. The problem I'm seeing and why I brought it up is that the Patriot Act passed 10 years ago, and was actually renewed this year. Nobody cared then. But this bill comes along and suddenly people are set off. I don't get it.
You clearly have a very short term memory. There are a LOT of people who were angry that congress renewed the patriot act. Those are the same people who are getting angry about this new bill. Not everyone is as complacent or ignorant as you.

Slippery slope means that if something can happen, we have to assume it will happen; if something can be taken to the extreme, it will. I don't find that argument valid in the slightest because the reality is that you can stop. I really hate it when its brought up in Smogon policy, because god forbid we say "no" if somebody goes down that slope.
The patriot act allowed indefinite detention of suspected criminals before a trial, we're now considering locking up terrorists with no trail whatsoever. We're already at the second stage of the slope, and this is over 10 years after the attack occurred. Slippery slope exists because the legal system follows precedents: if we're allowed to lock up terrorists without a trial for this specific event, it is very possible this law will enable no trial for future terrorist attacks. All that we need now is to generalise 'terrorist.'

Whether it will be abused or not is beside the point. It is the fact that it can. Ex: When Toyota had all the problems with their supposed sticking accelerator, did it kill ever victim? No. I know it didn't because it happened to me, and I managed to shift the car into neutral, and turn the car off. But it was still something that should never have happened because of the POTENTIAL harm it could have caused.

Same thing. Whether or not it ever results in a mistake of putting someone in prison who isn't a terrorist, btw please come up with a solid definition of that Mr. Uncle Sam Sir, there is a possibility it could. As for this compounding with The Patriot Act, between that piece of deeply flawed legislation and this(if it is passed, i haven't actually checked that yet)we have now given the U.S. military the exact same powers of the KGB's 2nd Chief Directorate.

There's also the fact that it probably WILL screw over a few people and make headlines and such. I mean, yeah, realistically, it may not become a significant figure. But having even one person go through years of foot-dragging and indecision is not cool.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)