Serperior

...I hadn't even thought of screens. guess i didn't see them on his movelist. *headdesk* why not Light Clay as the item?
Cause Leftover Recovery is really useful and there is no other recovery move here Jarlorda has on this set. If it carried Giga Drain/Leech Seed then I probably would have (but offensive doesn't have room for it and screens) but this is a blending of offense and defense, not a defensive wall. However, being able to survive opposing Jalorda, Ditto, Dragonite, etc is very helpful (sadly, special defensive Dragonite can survive +2 Hp Ice even without Multi-Scale if over 90% and can paralyze/phaze you/Fire Punch you).

On a Light Clay set I'd probably do
-Reflect
-Light Screen
-Giga Drain
-Leech Seed

And no one would ever expect a defensive Jalorda but it'd be pretty tough to kill with 75 base hp/95 defenses behind screens. This is probably the set I'd run without Peversity and if I choose it ingame (probably won't for the first one because I am so getting that adorable Otter Pokemon starter and Daikenki is really awesome).

Coil Up, I'd say.

You get better accuracy for moves like Leech Seed and Dragon Tail and Glare. Plus, Leaf Blade is physical, and quite strong.

And using Calm Mind... well, if you want to use Special attacks, you'd be better off with using Contrarian, anyway.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
On the subject of non-Antagonist Serperior, is Calm Mind or Coil Up a better option?
Physical movepool, excluding Grass and Normal moves:
Aerial Ace (meh power, but probably one of the better options)
Dragon Tail (better used on a phazing set)
Rock Smash (lol)
Iron Tail (redundant coverage unless you're fighting a lot of ice types, and poor base accuracy if you can't set up)
Pursuit (doesn't have the unboosted Attack to abuse this)

You're walled by steels no matter what you choose. I'd go with a special set, just because it needs the better coverage Hidden Power gives. Its useful non-attacking moves are pretty accurate anyway, so that's not much of an issue.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
However, Coil Up lets you use Leech Seed reliably, which works on any Steel short of Ferrothorn.
Better on a SubSeed set, certainly, but I don't think that's what he was going for. Also, considering Nattorei's popularity, that's definitely something you should be taking into consideration regardless.

Better on a SubSeed set, certainly, but I don't think that's what he was going for. Also, considering Nattorei's popularity, that's definitely something you should be taking into consideration regardless.
I posted a set in the Original Movesets thread (well, Subseed on a Serperior is original, compared to yet another Leaf Storm set), where his fourth move is Dragon Tail, which is his main way of dealing with Ferrothorns. Best used with Spikes support, of course.

I'm envisioning something like this:
Serperior @ Leftovers
Modest/Timid, Antagonist
252 Speed, 252 Sp.Att, 4 HP
-Leaf Storm
-HP Fire/Ground/Rock/Ice
-Giga Drain
-Glare/Substitute/Leech Seed/Filler
I feel like, due to Leaf Storm's potential PP issues, Giga Drain is a worthwhile option. Once boosted, it'll do some damage and allow for some HP restoration. Just a thought, he doesn't have any useful coverage besides what you see.
Finally gave this a test drive on the servers. Ran HP Rock and Glare for the slashes. Holy hell. Giga Drain has actually come in surprsingly handy on multiple occasions, and the coverage of Rock and Grass has been fine, especially when the Antagonist boosts allow you to plow through resists anyway. Glare is really nice, I hope it ends up legal with Antagonist. If not Toxic or some other filler option would be fine.
Man, I had been happy with Serperior even with Overgrow. I can't wait till Snivy is released through DW so I can actually get one on my game!

Jaroda is a tremendous, fearsome Pokemon. It was made for its Dream World ability. I am definitely picking this Pokemon as my starter Pokemon.

I guess its up to personal preference, ive always liked starting with fire types and i like emboar's stats and movepool, Hihidaruma doesnt have the movepool or the Spec Attack that Emboar does. also, having a good water type never has been very important to me.

Actually the water starter is the best one as Emboar could be replaced by Hihidaruma and there is no usable water type before the E4.
I think Burungeru rox as an early game water type. Emboar is outclassed by Hihidaruma. Jaroda is the way to go, with or without Contrarian.

In game, Emboar isnt really outclassed by Hihidaruma because its special attack is much, much higher and it can use moves like grass knot and boiling water

In game, Emboar isnt really outclassed by Hihidaruma because its special attack is much, much higher and it can use moves like grass knot and boiling water
Boiling water? You mad?

Anyway, I've found that Ulgamoth is a pretty safe switch-in to Contrarian Jaroda. It scoffs at even +2 Leaf Storms and can take the opportunity to setup Butterfly Dances or just kill it with a Fire move.

Also, it looks the coolest. All serious trainers should be concerned with style.
QFT. Serperior is designed specifically with the intent of being the classiest bastard around. And he pulls it off very nicely. A fine Pokemon ingame, a great one competitively, and an all-around good-lookin' guy.
guanlong said:
Anyway, I've found that Ulgamoth is a pretty safe switch-in to Contrarian Jaroda. It scoffs at even +2 Leaf Storms and can take the opportunity to setup Butterfly Dances or just kill it with a Fire move.
HP Rock is my HP of choice. Handles a lot of key Pokemon, notably Fire and Flying Types, as well as Bugs. I've had Volcorona try to stop my Serperior before, and HP Rock takes care of that.

also, HP rock hits key steel types like scizor and skarmory for neutral. fire moth was a big one though.

with hp rock, you gain the most coverage, except obscure types such as pure steels and toxicroak

Oh.... However, most of the Jarodae (?) I've seen are scarf variants, so they're setup bait for Mothra.
Ah. I see what you mean. Yes, obviously locked-in Serperior is going to have trouble with incoming Volcorona. That's one of the downsides of commiting to a Grass move like that, even if it does boost. That's why I personally prefer keeping my options open and having a handy Hidden Power available.

Jaroda is really not suited for choice scarf or even specs. Choice users usually want to be able to use 4 good attacking moves. Jaroda has leaf storm and hidden power.

It also psynergizes really poorly with perversity as you end up either using leaf storm on one of the common 4x resisters, or you use an unboosted hidden power which is weak. It's way more threatening when it can switch its moves and use a boosted hidden power for coverage on pokemon like nattorei or skarmory as well as subseed annoying anything it can't really kill like heatran due to its trollish speed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)