Setting up the Dragons, OU RMT

Hello. This would be my second RMT. After trying a few variations I finally found a team I am like, so to iron out its flaws and make a better team, I'll post it. The team is a bit standard, but hey.

Goal: To set up either Latias or Salamence.

The Team:

Lead:

Azelf@Focus Sash
16 Hp/240 Atk/252 Spe
Jolly
~Stealth Rock
~Taunt
~U-Turn
~Explosion

Standard but effective. Azelf effectively stops SR from most but Aerodactyl, breaks sashed with U-Turn, and can later jump back in and explode. Exploding is risky, as many have rotom in the wings, so U-Turn helps me there. I am wondering if I can invest more in HP and still be able to KO stuff with explosion. Taunt is my main goal, to stop SR.

Set Up Support:

Metagross@Leftovers
252 HP/244 Def/12 Spe
Impish
~Meteor Mash
~Earthquake
~Light Screen
~Ice Punch/Reflect/Explosion

It's tank metagross. Metagross helps set up mence with light screen to help against mean old ice moves. This thing also stops lucario, and the best part is that they always stay in with their cool little +2 attack, then they stare in shock as CC only does 80% at most and they lose their hero to EQ. Meteor mash is the STAB of choice, EQ has great coverage, ice punch takes out zapdos, flygon, and gliscor. I am considering reflect for latias. Explosion is there because it is cool, but I'd rather keep meta alive.

Scout:

Scizor@Choice Band
200 HP/252 Atk/58 Spe
Adamant
~Iron Head. kidding, Bullet Punch
~U-Turn
~Superpower
~Pursuit

Standard scizor. Scouts well with U-turn, kills stuff with powerful priority not to mention revenging stuff even scarfers can't outspeed. Bullet punch is that 90 base priority which might be good, u-turn punches holes in the other team while scouting. Superpower stops steels and others like heatran, magnezone, and tyranitar. Pursuit can trap annoying ghosts and psychics like locked rotom, azelf, gengar, latias and more. The team (since rotom will be going defensive or there will be a defensive starmie) benefits from a revenge killer and scouter.

Oven:

Rotom@Choice Scarf
36 HP/216 SpA/252 Spe
Timid
~Shadow Ball
~Thunderbolt
~Overheat
~Hidden Power Grass

Rotom is nice for stopping Gyrados, Latias, Scizor, Lucario, and Swampert as well as others that I am forgetting. All standard except HP Grass, which does 60% to unsuspecting non high SpD Swampert who are very annoying. Rotom is extremely useful for this team, stopping many threats with its speed. Scizor handles Tyranitar which pursuits this thing to death.

Offensives:

Latias@Life Orb
6 HP/252 SpA/252 Spe
Timid
~Calm Mind
~Dragon Pulse
~Surf/Thunderbolt/Grass Knot
~Recover

Latias is plain awesome. Once Tyranitar and Scizor are cleared, Latias can really set up and cause some trouble. With 130 SpD, even ice beams are doing 15% after a calm mind. Dragon + Water is fine, but covering gyrados would be nice too. Recover is a must for longevity. The other attacking options are ok, but dragon pulse and surf are only stopped by Empoleon, who I wall. Even with ice beam. Oh, sheddy too, but I don't see them much.

Salamence@Leftovers
252 HP/180 Def/76 Spe
Jolly
~Dragon Dance
~Dragon Claw
~Earthquake
~Roost

The other setter upper of the team. With screen support from meta, and physical bulk, not to mention that somewhat useful intimidate, this thing can set up after the ice shard spammers are gone. CB scizor does 25% with max attack, (with intimidate. Without is 40%) Easily roost stalling and setting up DDs. I wish I had room for flamethrower, but I cannot miss out on roost or other attack moves. Dragon claw is over outrage because I want to not be revenge killed by unsuspecting ice sharders.

Problems: Cursers, cursers, cursers. Cursepert and Cursetar, with their insane SpD can stop my team and are a pain to take out.

Also considering: Making Rotom very bulky for more screen support and WOW support. Metagross can counter luke already, and bulky rotom can hopefully take a +1 waterfall from gyrados.

Going to test:

-Dual screen magnezone/sub HP grass magnezone over metagross.
-Merits of a bulkier rotom or possible starmie.

Thanks for reading!

Interesting team. I don't really have much input except for Rotom/Latias. I wouldn't use HP Grass on Rotom-A's. I would rather use HP Ice or Trick. For Latias, I would use Surf or Thunderbolt out of those 3 options. Grass Knot would probably be mostly for Perts anyways, and CM LO Dragon Pulses will be doing a lot to them.

Ok, I am running surf for sure, but I really need a way to bring down swampert quickly, ie with a grass move.

The key to taking down Swampert is just smacking it around. When he switches in on Metagross, you should consider just attacking. If you wear it down enough, he won't be able to stop Salamence lategame. Additionally, Latias should be able to beat Swampert with screen support.

The key to taking down Swampert is just smacking it around. When he switches in on Metagross, you should consider just attacking. If you wear it down enough, he won't be able to stop Salamence lategame. Additionally, Latias should be able to beat Swampert with screen support.
latias can beat swampert without screen support, as long as he does not carry roar, and even then if you predict accordingly he takes a big hit before roaring you away.

anyways, this is a pretty cool team, and I think I have a cool way to make it more efficient. I think you should try a really defensive starmie over rotom. I'd probably have it run a moveset of either surf/thunderbolt/recover/reflect or surf/thunderbolt/recover/rapid spin. if you're really feeling creative, you could even try thunder wave over thunderbolt so that you can be set up fodder for less stuff while still being able to cripple gyarados (and hit it with metagross, on whom I would put thunderpunch as gyarados often tries to switch in on him anyways). the main reason I want you to try starmie is that with the last slot, you can use a number of support moves, all of which help you sweep with your dragons. bulky rotom can do this too, but starmie has access to recover and natural cure, which both go a long way towards keeping it around (as well as better natural bulk iirc), as well as speed. it also provides you with a great switchin to fire attacks early game, as you don't want to reveal your dragons, but you don't want metagross to die either. the resist and bulk allows starmie to start doing what it loves to do. should you choose reflect over rapid spin, you become much less scared of pursuit, and you can even beat pursuit tar with reflect, surf, and recover.

just something to try, your stuff looks good here overall. i especially like that you have a set purpose and you work towards that purpose but at the same time you have lots of backup plans. good luck =)

Thanks for the rates.

I really like the starmie idea for running spin support for salamence, with rapid spin/ reflect, recover surf, and thunderbolt. I'll give it a spin.

Definatly change it up a bit,
Ice can take out all your Pokémon but, Metagross and, Scizor, and usually its a Magnezone that has plenty of Sp Attack to do so, and not only that but if it is Modest nature with 252 Sp Attack / 252 Speed EVz it will outrun everyone on your team for the most part and if it does get it down to MGROSS and Scizor Magnet Pull will pick them off one by one especially since Thunderbolt will 2HKO Scizor and skizor wont be able to damage Magnezone all that well with bug types especially since Magnezone is above average defense for sweepers
then metagross sounds like a contestant for killing a steel electric pokemon sure earthquake right? not bust your bubble but Magnet rise fixes that problem then it all comes down to x1 attacks Magnezone is sure to use explosion (if its not last pokemon) or spam thunderbolt ..... other than that i cant see another pokemon besides maybe gyarados that can 6-0 your team well gengar might but ony if tyranitr mance stop them

Well to start, two to three of my team has an ice resist (starmie is being tested)
Weavile is a laugh for metagross and scizor. I tend to use this U-turn, which is pretty cool in that it scouts for magezone, who are promptly set up on by latias. Ice beams that are unstabbed and unboosted are entirely walled by latias (from empoleon/blissey and the like) Rotom essentially stops gyrados in its tracks. Surf + Thunder Bolt defensive starmie as well. Magnet rise is rare because it takes a moveslot and it means that magenzone is not choiced, meaning it can't outspeed much and is KO'd by salamence, set up on by latias, overheated by rotom, ect.

bulky rotom can do this too, but starmie has access to recover and natural cure, which both go a long way towards keeping it around (as well as better natural bulk iirc),
Nope, rotom's 50/107/107 defenses are statistically better than starmies 60/85/85

giving azelf 16HP, 240 Atk, and 252 Spe (Jolly) lets it KO Swampert 100% of the time and also take max 98% from metagross' meteor mash

Nice Team, again one that tries to set up Salamence for a sweep.
And that can become your problem: Salamence is obviously the pokemon your team is built around (also looking at your teams name), but I simply don't see how it should go for a sweep. Your selected moves on Mence mean it lives longer with roost but there are many pokes it just can't hit, for example Bronzong, Forretress, Skarmory. Add Swampert,Gyarados and Hippowdon to the list and you see many common pokes that will easily stop your sweep. In order to sweep you will have to weaken/ kill those counters. But how does your team want to do that? You absolutely need one pokemon and it's always the same for Mence: Magnezone
Magnezone@Leftovers
Timid-252SpAtk,216Spe,40HP
-Thunderbolt
-Substitute
-HP Grass
-Magnet Rise/Explosion
This Zone easily traps Skarmory, Scizor and Forretress (provided no Shed Shell) and Bronzong and kills them with TBolt. It also kills Swampert with HP Grass and with Magnet Rise it also fares well against Hippowdon.
I would most likely replace Metagross, because all it does for your team can also be done by another member.
The other things which can stop your sweep are Scarf revenge killers. You will have to wear them down before sweeping (or pursuit in case of Latias).

Good Luck with your team.

august

you’re a voice that never sings
is a Community Leaderis a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis the 8th Smogon Classic Winnerwon the 5th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Five-Time Past WCoP Champion
OGC Leader
Please expand your Scizor description or this will be locked.

Scizor was fixed.

Nice Team, again one that tries to set up Salamence for a sweep.
And that can become your problem: Salamence is obviously the pokemon your team is built around (also looking at your teams name), but I simply don't see how it should go for a sweep. Your selected moves on Mence mean it lives longer with roost but there are many pokes it just can't hit, for example Bronzong, Forretress, Skarmory. Add Swampert,Gyarados and Hippowdon to the list and you see many common pokes that will easily stop your sweep. In order to sweep you will have to weaken/ kill those counters. But how does your team want to do that? You absolutely need one pokemon and it's always the same for Mence: Magnezone
Magnezone@Leftovers
Timid-252SpAtk,216Spe,40HP
-Thunderbolt
-Substitute
-HP Grass
-Magnet Rise/Explosion
This Zone easily traps Skarmory, Scizor and Forretress (provided no Shed Shell) and Bronzong and kills them with TBolt. It also kills Swampert with HP Grass and with Magnet Rise it also fares well against Hippowdon.
I would most likely replace Metagross, because all it does for your team can also be done by another member.
The other things which can stop your sweep are Scarf revenge killers. You will have to wear them down before sweeping (or pursuit in case of Latias).

Good Luck with your team.
Ok, I really like this idea, but metagross is important in that he sets up screens. Would a set with Dual screens, thunderbolt and HP grass fulfill the same role to a lesser extent and set up the screens?

First of all I'm glad my suggestions helped.
Theoretically Magneton could use Dual screens but then its steel killing abilities would suffer. Many Forretress, Bronzong and all Swampert carry Earthquake and if they hit you for 2hko (after Reflect) your zone won't get rid of them. However I think your team provides the possibility of including Screens elsewhere:
You could for example use a dual screen Azelf as your lead. It quickly and reliably sets up Screens early and can still Stealth Rock and Taunt.
Azelf@Light Clay
Timid-252HP,252Spe,4Def
-Light Screen
-Reflect
-Taunt/Explosion/U-Turn
-Stealth Rock
If you feel this is too much to do for Azelf and/or if you will want your screener to set up more than once (or max. twice) during the match you can also change either your Latias set to the Screener or distribute the screens between Rotom and Latias or whatever.
You can try out Zone with screens but I fear it won't kill steels well then.
I think Lead Azelf is good with screens. You'll only lose Explosion.
If you think it's too frail to set up both screens+Stealth Rock you can also use Screen Uxie as your lead:
Uxie@Light Clay
Timid-252HP, 216Spe, 40Def
-Light Screen
-Reflect
-Stealth Rock
-U-Turn
This Uxie loses the ability to taunt the foe but is very bulky and will most likely be able to set up screens more than once.

You can try out what works best but I'd definitely use Magnezone.

Good Luck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)