Shadow of a Doubt, Part 1 - Berserker Lord vs. plaforkeeps123

((
I'd like to propose something a little different; if it's not within my bounds to do something like this, I'll gladly step down and forget about it should a mod tell me to. Anyway, what I'd like to propose is a chain of battles, all with the same participants, linked together by a common RP plot. I'm thinking 3 battles, because nobody's done something like this and I'd like to start fairly small. If it works out and the participants enjoy, the chain can be lengthened, or we can start a new one with a longer one in mind. I will be the 'ref' of these 3 matches, moderating the battles and controlling any NPCs that may feature prominently (hint hint). Again, in order to start simple, it'll be a series of matches featuring only 2 trainers. If you're interested, you should also be interested in roleplaying; your trainer character should have some sort of personality worked out. Backstory or anything extensive isn't necessary (although you're certainly welcome), just an interest in and willingness to RP. You'll be encouraged to interact with/react to the other trainer beyond just giving your commands in battle or throwing in the occasional taunt -- regular paragraph format is also highly encouraged. Here's the hook that I have in mind:

-----

"It's true!" insisted the barkeep, "I saw 'im with my own two eyes!"

"Oi Tom, anybody tell ya you shouldn't drink on the job?" The jibe had come from one of the patrons of the sparsely populated pub. Relative to Tom, he was at the far end of the bar, nursing an empty glass. He was hunched over and ragged-looking, but his speech was clear, so the night was still young.

The joint they were in looked like exactly the kind of place eccentric individuals would gather and tell outlandish tales in -- it was cared for, but aged in ways that made it look shabby. The tables, chairs and bar were all made of wood, and a whispy layer of smoke hung about the space due to all of the smokers.

His walrus-like mustache bristling in indignation, Tom continued. "I don't need any of yer guff tonight, Sam -- it was a shiny Absol, plain as that empty glass in yer hand. Need a refill, by the way?"

Sam waved his cup in the air and nodded. "And what's that supposed to mean, anyway? 'Shiny'?"

"Well some Pokemon, they're funny lookin' -- different colors, you know." The barkeep's eyes widened as he filled his patron's glass. "This Absol, it had kinda pink fur, and it's horn and tail were bright red."

Sam's eyebrow raised so high, it was in danger of flying right off his face. He took a swig of his drink before rambling, "Uh-huh. So let's say you really saw this 'shiny' Absol." Tom nodded vigorously as Sam continued, clearly unaware that he was being mocked, "What, you just happened to be trekking out in the foothills, and then you happened upon some creepy, run-down ruins, and in these ruins, you just happened to see a bright pink Absol."

Tom's face was practically gleaming with stupid, childlike wonder. Sam could tell that, no matter how crazy it sounded, the barkeep believed it with all his heart.

"Sounds like a Pokemon Trainer's dream, if ya ask me." Sam drained the remainder of his glass and tapped it on the table. At the gesture, Tom turned around to retrieve the bottle as he suggested, "I wouldn't be so sure. Somethin' about that Absol... I tell ya, somethin' was off."

"Off? Besides it being fabulously pink? Or an Absol, for that matter?"

"Only superstitious buffoons believe in all that nonsense about Absol bein' a bad omen and all that. But this one. I tell ya, he looked at me and sent shivers down my spine. Felt like I was never gonna be happy again."

Sam chuckled into his drink, "Well, I'll let all of the 'superstitious buffoons' know that there's an especially evil Absol on the loose. Although, if you're that worried about it... you could always sick Bruiser on him, really give 'im a piece of your mind."

At the mention of 'Bruiser', Sam turned around and tilted his glass toward a grossly obese Stoutland, sleeping on his back in a natty dog bed in the corner of the bar.

Tom absently began to clean a glass, his eyes widening and his voice going low in ominous reverie. "I was quite the trainer in my day... but even then, I'd leave that Absol well enough alone. Some Pokemon are just... bad eggs, if you ask me. And he was one of 'em. Ain't nothin' good can come to anybody that picks a fight with him."

-----

So for any interested RPers out there, there's your hook; the idea is that somehow, you overheard this conversation, and you're headed to the ruins to try and capture this rare Absol. For any mods reading, no I do not intend to hand out Pokemon in any capacity. This is strictly a roleplaying hook, and without spoiling too much, nobody is going to be capturing any Pokemon. Here are the battle specs:

Arena - Mountain Ruins

Nestled deep within some craggy foothills, the trainers have come upon a set of ominous ruins. The ruins themselves are nestled in a small valley, with cliffs rising to the north, east and west. It took our trainers all day to get here, and the sun will be going down soon -- the use of Sunny Day will be ineffective.

The battlefield appears to have once been a courtyard of some sort, with fallen marble pillars and statues of legendary Pokemon littering the area. Toward the far end of the courtyard rises a sheer cliff-face -- set within the cliff is a grandiose archway leading into the ruins below, but we won't be headed down there (yet). In the center of the couryard is a pool of still water that is deep enough to be swam in (why is it filled, I wonder...?). The trainers will eventually encounter Shiny Absol, who will observe, and sometimes alter the battle...

3v3 Singles
All Abilities
No Items
DQ Time - 3 Days
5 Chills/1 Recovery/3 Partial Recoveries

As I said, I will act as the ref for these battles, so the next step is for two RP-willing combatants to step up. This should be fun, and you'll be able to say that you got to participate in the first experimental RP of CAP ASB -- you know you want to!

Remember to keep in mind the RP aspect, as the whole point of this little 'experiment' is to see if there's room for story and roleplaying in CAP ASB. I would suggest that you don't even need to dive right into the battle, if you don't want to -- RP out the pre-battle angst, the challenge, etc.... or not. I leave it in your hands! You are the players, and I'm just the facilitator -- so have fun with it!))

The sun was setting, bathing the ruins in a pleasant orange-pink haze. The light played brilliantly upon the white columns and statues which lay strewn about the ancient courtyard. Nestled within a craggy valley far from any hint of civilization, these ruins had lain undisturbed by man or Pokemon for years -- perhaps even centuries. However, as if to foretell the turmoil that was soon to come, the reflecting pool in the center of the courtyard broke it's stillness.

An Absol peered into the water, pawing at it with his foreleg. This Absol was unlike others of his species, his coloration sharing more in common with the sunset than with the norm. His red horn quivered slightly -- it was often said by the superstitious that Absols used their horns to predict disaster. Disaster or not, he did sense a presence. Two humans, approaching the valley from the south. He sensed others -- energies held in captivity. The Absol felt a sting of hatred, but it was tempered as he remembered his own master. Master, who was so kind. Kind, yes... but intolerant of disobedience. However, the humans had come, just as Master said they would.

Absol had done well. He had obeyed.

((Berserker, you have the first action; if you want to dive straight into the battle, I'm sure playforkeeps wouldn't mind if you 'noticed' him and challenged him. However, I leave it up to your discretion.))

Walking up the steep hills, my mind wanders back to my last battle. I wouldn't have accepted the battle with that girl if I had known that it would take place right where my formor gang members were hanging out. For some reason though, they hadn't recognized me at all, but I saw that they recognized who Eyes was right away. I didn't really expect them to remember me, having left them 4 years ago when my temper finally got the better of me and I had to flee. I decided then to fight until I had the strength to finally destroy the gang once and for all!

Reaching the top of the hill, I saw that the ruins were not that far away. My thoughts then went back to the conversation between the barkeep and the patron. To be honest, I thought that Tom was just making the story up in hopes of attracting people to the bar, but I thought that it was worth a look just for the sake of it. As I got closer to the ruins, I felt like something was watching me and wanted me to turn back. Ignoring this, I pressed on.

Finally reaching the ruins, I decided to rest for a minute due to the harshness of the trail. However, when I was just getting comfy, someone else appeared to my right. He looked around the same age as me, but much more laid back. I called out to him and demanded that we fight over who shall find the shiny Absol, and he accepts.

"Ok Tippy, lets get this done quickly." I say as my Syclar is released from his Pokeball. Tippy immeaditley tries to go after the other trainer, but I stop him, not wanting to hurt him incase he was well known.

"Lets start this off with an Icy Wind to slow that Ralts down, then Swords Dance to boost your attack, then rush up to the Rlats and Bug Bite him!

(Will actually issue commands tomorrow)

(I hope it's ok to post some RP before his actual actions. If not, delete this Ducklett. :P

I trekked up the beaten path through the hills. "How far are can these ruins be from the bar?" I gasped at Edge, my Ralts. He, as per usual, said nothing to me. I could see the faintest trace of a smile forming on his mouth, however. In an instant, he was at top of the highest hill, and after a flash of light, he was once again at my side. "Oh har dee har dee har," I said to him. "Thanks for reminding me why you're useful in my line of work. Now get me up there." He nodded as I grabbed his tiny hand and felt my molecules displacing.

Surprisingly, you have a lot of time to think while teleporting. If the action really was instantaneous, there would be no way to think through your actions. I was a detective. A pretty young and laid back detective, but a detective nonetheless. Despite being laid back, however, I was dead serious about my work and my battling. All the members of my team were useful. Edge could teleport me and slow down suspects with psychic attacks, Blitz the Treeko could put them to sleep with Grasswhistle, and Blade the Pawniard could stop them cold when they reached a dark area.

As for the reason I was tiring myself walking up hills? A "shiny" Absol was spotted here by a local bartender by the name of Tom. I was hired to search for it, though I probably still would have gone regardless of pay or not. Sounded interesting. Very interesting.

Finally, I felt my physical self reforming. When I opened my eyes, we were already in front of the ruins. "Let's get searching." But before I could start, I felt an uneasy presence. Like something was watching me, expecting me. So when I heard something calling to me, you could imagine I was very surprised. At first I thought it was some wild Pokemon, but I could make out that it was distinctly human. I looked to my left. A serious looking Pokemon trainer was sitting on a fallen column, calling to me.

"I suppose you're here for the Absol," I said to him. He nodded in response. I stretched. "Well," I said, scratching the back of my neck. "I'm afraid I'm here for it. It's going to be mine."

The Trainer stood. "Well then, let's have a battle. Whoever wins gets to proceed into the ruins."

"Can't argue with that," I said, grinning. Edge shifted restlessly. He was ready to fight. "I'll give you the courtesy of first pick." I could feel the other pokeballs in my pocket shaking. Blitz and Blade wanted in too.

The Pokemon Trainer reached to his belt and pulled a pokeball. "Go! Tippy!" In a flash of light, a Scylar sat in front of me, raring to battle.

((Feel free to RP as much or as little as you both want; preferably more so though, because that's one of the primary purposes of this thread :P Also, I would avoid RPing each other's actions from here on; I know I sort of forced it on you both by allowing Berserker to start the battle, and I apologize for that. But RPing is a lot like acting in that a lot of the fun comes from reacting to one-another. So give each other room to react!))

I could see the Sylar in front of me getting ready to fire off his first attack. "Sorry, bud," I muttered at Edge. "This one's for blade," I said, tossing out my Pawniard. I could feel the air chilling around me. I had to act fast. The speed drop from Icy Wind could be to our advantage, however. "Go! Tank this breeze and use Swords Dance! Then, slash him with a high powered Metal Claw and finish up by dodging and retaliating with Faint Attack!"

(BTW I should be at +4 because of Defiant)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)