Shaymin - The Hedgehog [RMT]

Shaymin - The Hedgehog

As the title suggests this team is based around the
Grass legendary Hedgehog.

However unlike most teams involving it, this one is
a OU team. Rather than the Uber equvalent.

Now onto the team.

---
Lead

Crobat (F) @ Wide Lens
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 6 Atk/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Hasty nature (+Spd, -Def)
- Air Slash
- Heat Wave
- Hypnosis
- U-turn

I'm a big fan of Crobat, an extremely fast and powerful user of
Hypnosis.
Unlike you standard Crobat this one is Sp.Atk based, giving it the
suprise factor.

I've loved the addition in Platimium of
Heat Wave to it's movepool.

Now too explain the set.
Nature - Hasty
- Max out speed without the compramise onU-Turns power

Slot #1 - Air Slash
- Crobats best STAB Sp.Atk move, with a chance of Flinching

Slot #2 - Heat Wave
- Covers most leads, along with Air Slash and U-Turn.
(Most notably Scizor, Forretress, and Metagross)

Slot #3 - Hypnosis
- Highly useful utility move, helps to set-up Shaymin for the sweep.

Slot #4 – U-Turn
- This is used for scouting, often directly after Hypnosis is use, unless the opposing
lead is Scizor/Forretress/Metagross/Roserade/Skarmory, Some of the most dangerous
leads in OU.

---
Sp.Wall – Multi Stat

Snorlax (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP/58 Atk/200 Def
Impish nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Amnesia
- Curse
- Return
- Earthquake/Crunch

A rather unorthodox Snorlax, aims too take hits, then attack when needed.

Slot #1/#2 – Amnesia + Curse
- When people see a Snorlax they expect Curse, and after two curses they often switch in a Sp.Sweeper when their Physical sweeper isn’t hitting hard enough. So Amnesia prevents any considerable damage from the Sp.Side

Slot #3 – Return
- Nice Powerful STAB move, only hindered by the abundance of Skarmory, Forretress, and Scizor.

Slot #4 – Earthquake/Crunch
- I currently use Earthquake, as I’ve found Heatran too be more of a threat too my team than Gengar. Crunch is my other option with it’s nice power, and coverage of Ghosts.

---
Physical Wall/Utility

Forretress (F) @ Shed Shell
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP/144 Def/114 SDef
Relaxed nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Rapid Spin
- Gyro Ball
- Spikes
- Stealth Rock

Ok, this is a variant on the Physically Defensive Smogon set for Forretress.
Moving the Attack EVs too Sp.Def and changing Earthquake too Stealth Rocks.

Slot #1 – Rapid Spin
- The usual Utility move for Forretress, spins away the entry hazards.

Slot #2 – Gyro Ball
- Minimum Speed allows it too one hit Gengar, most Dragon Dance users, and many Scarfers.

Slot #3/#4 – Spikes/Stealth Rocks
- Simple, set-up the entry hazards.

---
Special Sweeper

Salamence (F) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Spd/252 SAtk/6 SDef
Modest nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Dragon Pulse
- Flamethrower
- Hydro Pump

Spec Mence is a Dangerous Character, with the STAB Draco Meteor at it’s disposal.

Slot #1 – Draco Meteor
- Salamence’s most powerful move, even with the Sp.Atk drop it can One hit Other Mences, Kingdra, and many Sweepers.

Slot # 2 – Dragon Pulse
- For when Mence needs too stay in for a prolonged period of time, a very reliable attack. Lacks the power of Draco Meteor in short, but has more in the long run.

Slot #3 – Flamethrower
- This is for the many Steel types in OU, and those Ice types that think they can get a STAB on me.

Slot #4 – Hydro Pump
- This move, combined with the others mentioned, give absolute coverage of every type. Better coverage than the Water/Normal and Ice/Thunder combinations as it actually hits Shedinja.

---
Reversal Sweeper

Blaziken (M) @ Salac Berry
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk/252 Spd/6 SAtk
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Endure
- Reversal
- Thunderpunch
- Fire Punch

Salac Berry, with Endure and Reversal gives a +1 Speed, 300 base power (thanks too STAB) attack coming from Blazikens formidable power.

Slot #1 – Endure
- This allows Blaziken to get down too 1 HP, which activates Salac Berry, Maxes out Reversal Power, and Activates Blaze.

Slot #2 – Reversal
- As stated above, a 300 Base Power attack, no more needs too be said.

Slot #3 – Thunderpunch
- This gives coverage of Gyrados when it thinks it can switch in too take Reversal.

Slot #4 – Fire Punch
- Adds a Secondary STAB Move, with Blaze boost. Used to take on the Steels that are neutral too Reversal.

---
The Hedgehog

Shaymin @ Leftovers

Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP/100 Def/58 SAtk/100 SDef
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Air Slash
- Seed Flare
- Aromatherapy/Growth
- Substitute

This is an interesting one, it has a 101HP Sub, the attack Seed Flare, and access too Growth.

Slot#1 – Air Slash
- Lacks a STAB Boost, but still nice. Might change it too Earth Power or HP Ice.

Slot #2 – Seed Flare
- The Main Move, it is a major threat too Blissey when it switches in, as nothing like a Sp.Def drop.

Slot #3 – Aromatherapy/Growth
- This is an Interesting one, Cleric or Power boost. I’ve tried both, and they both work well. Cleric helps support the team, but Growth allows to set-up on Blissey.

Slot #4 – Substitute
- Anything that can make a 101HP Sub should really give it a go. It works well with Shaymins nice all round stats.

---

The main problem too the team is Sandstorm teams, as they rule out Blaziken, and Stop Snorlax from working properly.

Any Comments?

Just a note: When using Growthmin you should always pack Earth Power. This allows you to hit Heatran and Nape which would otherwise stop you cold. So change Air Slash to Earth Power. Celebi is still taking a decent 39.4% - 46.3% from you and you can growth as it recover. The only thing you should be worrying about in this case is Salamence.

Crobat, run the standard set. Your one is a little too specific, this set works much better, and hits everything hard. Your current set loses to many of the common leads, try this one.

Crobat @ Leftovers or Wide Lens
Timid - Inner Focus
EVs: 124 HP / 132 SpA / 252 Spe
Moves:
~ Air Slash
~ Hypnosis
~ Super Fang
~ U-turn

Basically a similar idea, but lets be honest, Crobat is doing crap damage to everything bar Scizor and Breloom with Air Slash/Heatwave, 70 Base SpA just does not cut it in OU. This set allows you to hit things hard with Brave Bird, 180 Base Power is not to be underestimated. Using Hypnosis + U-Turn of course is the best way to start a match.

I dislike your Snorlax to be blunt. It simply does not have the room or time to set up both Curse AND Amnesia often at all. Rest is a better option, although nothing is wrong with using 3 attacks in Fire Punch / Earthquake / Body Slam. Body Slam is the better option here, sure it does less damage, but 30% paralysis helps it a lot, and is still powerful enough to destroy SubStallers. Not to mention the obvious benefits to the rest of the team.

I think your Forretress may be a little overloaded with utility moves. Stealth Rock should be suffice, your team is not exactly going to force that many switches for it to be worthwhile, and only one of your pokemon is weak to Stealth Rock, so Rapid Spin is not really needed. Changing the moveset to Stealth Rock / Explosion / Gyro Ball / Payback. Although running something with Stealth Rock and Spikes is still an option available, although I do not advise it as you have no ghost type pokemon to stop Rapid Spin.

Now Salamence, I really dislike SpecsMence. In my personal experiences it just begs for pokemon like Scizor and Metagross to come in and set up. Not to mention TyraniBoah or really anything just enjoys the free switch in, and it can really ruin the whole functioning of your team, because nothing enjoys a Physical hit bar Forretress, who can't do anything back if they are behind a substitute, not to mention that he is probably dead/weakened from setting up Rocks earlier in the battle. Here you could attempt a bluff set with Expert Belt, or for more reliability, the New MixMence set, which dominates OU at the moment.

Salamence @ Life Orb
Naive - Intimidate
EVs:16 Atk / 240 SpA / 252 Spe
Moves:
~ Draco Meteor
~ Earthquake
~ Fire Blast
~ Outrage / Dragon Claw

Use this guy wisely, he only has one or two chances per match to destroy teams, and with SR and possibly Sand Stream up, he has one real shot. He can take down basically anything if you can predict right, and as he can OHKO and 2HKO everything in OU, it should be able to remove counters fairly well.

I also do not think that Blaziken set is viable :(, this is because of Sand Stream and possibly entry hazards, which basically ruin him completely, however an extremely similar set can be run on Lucario, who has somewhat better typing, and a x.25 resist to Stealth Rock.

Lucario @ Salac Berry
Jolly - Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Moves:
~ Endure / Substitute
~ Swords Dance / Close Combat / Extreme Speed
~ Reversal
~ Crunch

Good luck with the team :)

Thanks for the advice with Shaymin, I'm just experimenting with different moves in place of Air Slash, Earth Power is working well.

With Crobat, everyone that sees it will expect too see a Physical Bat, so will switch in a Physical counter, more often than not a Steel of Some sort.
This gives Crobat a desent chance too take out something that could stop Blaziken later.

The Lucario Idea is intereasting, as I've had a problem with Priority and Sand Stream. I'll give it a go.

Your snorlax is not going to achieve anything with amnesia without a recovery move. Moves that boost your defense without you having a recovery move is pointless, and should be avoided. My suggestion is to change amnesia to rest, and give snorlax chesto berry instead. It lets snorlax function as a decent wall, and at the same time if you choose to go on a sweep you can set up a couple of curse and rest to bring yourself to full health and attempt to sweep, much like chesto berry CM kyogre in ubers.

Also, since you're using curse, i suggest giving snorlax more sp.def (i'd like to max out sp.def, but smogon says otherwise so you can just follow smogon's set of 168hp, 120def, 220sp.def careful). It lets snorlax become a very good special wall and if your opponent decides to continue trying to bring you down with special moves you can just get up a couple of curse and sweep.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)