Shining Steel Updated

Team is centered on Aggron using rock polish and sweeping with no recoil head smash.

Black Iron (Hippowdon) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/6 Spd
Impish nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off
- Roar
Sets up Stealth rock which improves the sweeping of the team. Sandstorm gives Aggron a slight Sp Def boost which may increase his survivability but his Sp def is very weak. This can hurt some of the fire users which can threaten aggron, and can scout very well to help me figure out if it's safe to switch in Aggron

Shining Silver (Aggron) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 252 Atk/6 Def/252 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Aqua Tail
- Head Smash
- Rock Polish
- Earthquake
The centerpiece of my team. It is suppose to set up with rock polish and sweep the opposing team. 110 Attack is pretty good, combined with 120 BP Stab move with no drawbacks is a force to be reckoned with. Earthquake and Aqua Tail are there for coverage, but Aqua Tail isn't very good and rarely do I need to use it. Anyone got a good replacement for it?

Caitlyn (Blissey) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP/6 Spd/252 SDef
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Wish
- Softboiled
- Aromatherapy
- Seismic Toss
Blissey is one of Aggron's best friends. She can protect him from those deadly special attacks. Wish is there for support, while toxic can weaken the opposing team. Seismic Toss has helped me many times when I only have Aggron and another pokemon unable to take down a opposing pokemon. I also love it how they taunt me to get hit back with a Seismic Toss, but most Taunters are physical, so It doesn't help too much with those. I replaced Toxic for Aromatherapy since it's really on useful against other walls. Aromatherapy cures Paralysis and Burns that hurt the team.

SoulShadow (Gengar) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 6 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Pain Split
Much better than Mismagius. It's higher speed stops it from getting killed as easily as Mismagius. Focus Blast and Shadow Ball are there for standard coverage and STAB. Pain Split is useful for recovery. Substitute doesn't work that well, can anyone explain how to use it effectively?

AirJet (Dragonite) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 100 Atk/252 Spd/158 SAtk
Naive nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Superpower
- Draco Meteor
- Roost
- Flamethrower
The most useful member on my team, he rips through enemies with great type coverage and also good speed. Superpower and Draco Meteor are standard and Roost is so it can last longer is SR is up. Flamethrower is there for coverage. Anything I should replace flamethrower with? TB? ExtremeSpeed?

Crystal Star (Starmie) @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Rapid Spin
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
A much better pokemon than heracross, it's speed is much better, it's Sp Atk is great, it has amazing coverage, and it spins away SR! Hydro Pump is basic STAB, BoltBeam for great coverage, and Rapid Spin for SR which hurts my Dragonite badly.

Overall
Weaknesses
GLISCOR! It's a pain in the ass, as it taunts Hippowden, which renders it useless, and it U-Turns away so I can't get SR up and comes back again once I try to switch to Hippowdon. What's worse, is that it can destroy my Aggron with EQ, so I'll think twice before trying to set up with it.

Taunt users in general. They ruin rock polish, nasty plot, SR, and possibly Blissey.

Strenghts
Flying types-With TB
,Stone Edge and Head Smash at my disposal, my team slice through them like a hot knife through butter. Gyarados is bad for Aggron unless it has set up and can out speed it, but I'm not sure how much damage it does against it.

(Aggron) Slow and Bulky pokemon, especially Blissey- If Aggron can outspeed some slower pokemon, they'll have a hard time beating him. Stronger but Frailer slow pokes are still likely to get crushed by Aggron.

Change Dragonites set, you pull it back from it's full potential. Aerial ace doesn't miss but come on besides the odd fighting type you are not doing any major damage.

Dragonite@Life orb
-Draco meteror (This can OHKO alot of pokemon which you could barely 2HKO with your old set)
-Roost(this makes Dragonite actually have some quality battery life on him and not die within one or two turns by getting hit once + life orb recoil damage+ sandstorm).
-Super Power
- Fire Blast/ Extremespeed (Depends if your team benefits from the priority as it could be useful to clean lategame on weakened faster sweepers).
100att/158sp.att/252speed
Naive

Your team loses to stall teams in general except the odd one that is poorly constucted and has nothing to take hits from aggron.

Replace Mismagius with Gengar. You get better speed hit harder as well as immunity to posion, you don't have a cleric. You also make a great thorn in the path for stall teams. Mismagius gets shredded apart by far too many pokemon in comparison to gengar who's speed usually saves it.

Gengar@Life orb/leftovers
-Shadow ball
-Focus Blast
-Pain split
-Substitute
252Sp.att/252speed/4def

Entry hazards being piled up on your team is a bad thing minimizing the sweeping potential Aggron has. Scarf Heracross is dead weight on the type of team you possess. My advice is to add a spinner somewhere as well as have some fire power to help pickoff threats to Aggron.

Starmie@leftovers
- Rapid spin
- Surf/ Hydro pump
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt/Recover
252sp.att/252speed/4hp
Timid
Recover might not be too essential since Blissey has wish but helps to keep Starmie Alive.

Give Blissey Thunder wave instead of Toxic, it's ridiculous the amount of Breloom and steel types that switch into you predicting Toxic. -Wave also helps making Aggron the faster pokemon against most paralysed Pokemon.

GL brother.

That Starmie seems much better at Heracross's job, thank you.Would life orb be better than leftovers though? Dragonite seems good, but would TB work better than fire blast? And also, I prefer flamethrower over fire blast since I don't like the possibility of it missing. Gengar seems good, I'll try it out.

That Starmie seems much better at Heracross's job, thank you.Would life orb be better than leftovers though? Dragonite seems good, but would TB work better than fire blast? And also, I prefer flamethrower over fire blast since I don't like the possibility of it missing. Gengar seems good, I'll try it out.
Your choice Flamethrower is equally as viable as Fire blast as it could be the difference between a loss due to a miss in some scenarios;p and also Draco meteor OHKO's Gyarados after SR damage and almost OHKO's without SR. (75.5% - 89.1%).

what's the point of putting flamethrower and superpower on dragonite, you're not really taking advantage of your STAB, try outrage and aerial ace. Also, if you're going to attempt a rock polish sweep with Aggron, why not use a ninjask baton pass, just substitute and protect to make a more risk free speed aggron. btw, doesn't that also mean you have a single point of failure, I mean, if you get KOed by some fighting move, then should I assume your team is basically defeated already? Please consider and change appropriately.

@ above: Dragonite is used as a wallbreaker, it needs the most power it can muster, which is why Draco Meteor is used. Superpower and Flamethrower are for demolishing steels and Blissey, who wall Meteor all day. Roost is roost. Basically imagine a slower, but bulkier Classic Mixmence. Outrage means that this thing won't be able to wallbreak better, since you'll be locked in and prone to revenge, set up, etc. You also lack DD to boost it. Oh and lol aerial ace. lol at ninjask also, but that's another story. And even if Aggron is taken out he still has 3 other sweepers that can sweep any time.

His Eminence Lord Poppington II

proverb:the fish who eats most dies still too
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Having both wish and aromatherapy on blissey is illegal, but if you can run it so be it, and replace soft boiled with protect.

Dragonite use the spread smogon suggests, 116 atk, 200 sp.atk 192 spe / rash / mild.
You don't need that many speed EV's and a speedboosting nature because dragonite forces switches and is a wallbreaker not a sweeper. Also, if you find speed to be the issue than consider extreme speed over roost, but note that your lifespan will be very short. Basically,Dnite comes in fires off stuff, kills 1/2 pokemon, then dies.

Using substitute on gengar, more specifically subsplit gengar, is to break down blissey, sub and pain split repeatedly until you get blissey's hp to the 35% mark, then you can kill with focus blast. Outside of blissey use substitute on an expected switch ensuring that you can fire off a shot before your sub breaks, never sub in the face of an expected threat unless you're toxic stalling, waiting for a paralysis to kick in, PP stalling, outrage stalling or that kind of thing, you'll just waste HP.

Instead of aqua tail on aggron consider magnet rise to counter EQ, substitute for the same reasons as gengar would carry one, ease prediction, scout, etc. Stone Edge, because it's stab 100 BP, and it's the most powerful attack you have next to head smash, and has good type coverage with EQ. Also, change head smash's description to 150 BP with stab, it's not 120.

Blissey with wish and Aromatherapy are ilegal moves please change this.
On shoddy, it worked fine. Does it give an error message or something? I'll change it to heal bell, it gives the same effect right?

Dragonite use the spread smogon suggests, 116 atk, 200 sp.atk 192 spe / rash / mild.
Ok,I'll try those EV's

Using substitute on gengar, more specifically subsplit gengar, is to break down blissey, sub and pain split repeatedly until you get blissey's hp to the 35% mark, then you can kill with focus blast. Outside of blissey use substitute on an expected switch ensuring that you can fire off a shot before your sub breaks, never sub in the face of an expected threat unless you're toxic stalling, waiting for a paralysis to kick in, PP stalling, outrage stalling or that kind of thing, you'll just waste HP.
Ah, now I understand

Instead of aqua tail on aggron consider magnet rise to counter EQ, substitute for the same reasons as gengar would carry one, ease prediction, scout, etc. Stone Edge, because it's stab 100 BP, and it's the most powerful attack you have next to head smash, and has good type coverage with EQ. Also, change head smash's description to 150 BP with stab, it's not 120.
Stone Edge=Weaker Head Smash
They're both rock type, HS has 150 Bp, Stone Edge has 100 Bp, and both have 80 accuracy. I'll try thunderpunch for now, and if it doesn't help, then I'll go with Sub

Instead of Hippowdon get Tyraniboah, since it will smash stall that you lose to(Note: this is not because I like Tyranitar)

TTar does have higher Sp def, but a bit lower health and def. I like Hippowdon as a support lead scouting and setting up SR, but TTar can do better, but has a 4X weakness to fighting like Aggron.
Tyranitar@Leftovers
252 Def/252 Sp
-Stone Edge
-Stealth Rock
-Thunder Wave
-Roar
Would this be better than hipowdon?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)