shoddy/pokelab idea

if it is at all possible, i think a browser version of shoddy battle and/or pokelab would be great, because some poeple like me can't download it but are abl to play it in-browser

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Why aren't you able to download it? You might need to update Java, which you would need to do anyways if there were to be an Applet for Shoddy Battle. Unfortunately, since Shoddy/Pokélab are no longer affiliated with Smogon, I don't see this happening any time soon, especially since Smogon now has a Pokémon-Online server.

[edit] not to mention that PO was coded in C++, not Java.

if it is at all possible, i think a browser version of shoddy battle and/or pokelab would be great, because some poeple like me can't download it but are abl to play it in-browser
smogon isnt using pokelab right now.Were using a separate simulator called pokemon online. And i think it would be alot of work turning pokelab into a flash game.

Super

This space for rent
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Remember that simulators are composed of two different parts. There's a server side and a client side component. Servers are what you connect to, and they handle the manipulation of users and most of the battle engine. Clients are programs you download that communicate with the server, and they are the ones that show you all the graphical pretty stuff. Creating a "browser version" of a simulator is a matter of making a new client that works through the browser and connects to the simulator. This is feasibly possible, for example look at mibbit. This is a website that functions as a client for IRC, IRC itself being a TCP protocol. Interestingly enough, both PokeLab and Pokemon Online are implemented using TCP, so yes it is technically possible to write a browser program that does this job.

An interesting alternative would be a pure Javascript implementation that uses socket.io. The server would then listen to requests from both the TCP and websocket simultaneously and would be able to support guests from both sources. That's a lot of work, but it would be fairly interesting to see it get done.

i have a school laptop and have been busted for download games already, so i cant risk getting caught again, along with the fact that they blocked acess to the folder that download games can be saved in. @ super- well, i know nothing about that kind of stuff, but thanks for telling me that before i got my hopes up

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)