shoegaze

Status
Not open for further replies.

VKCA

(Virtual Circus Kareoky Act)
this is so unbelievably cool
it baffles me that people could find it at all offensive/unpleasant

there are more deleted posts than not-deleted posts in this thread

let the people enjoy their music please.

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I've never really come across this genre before but I think Yuck and possibly Warpaint would classify. If not they at least have some shoegaze influences...

As a whole I probably wouldn't listen to shoegaze for the sake of it, but it can be very good background music if you're working or driving or whatever.

@corkscrew: yuck for sure, warpaint though doesn't fall as directly into shoegaze, although warpaint does make really lovely music that's simultaneously melodic and very textural, it'd be a stretch to call it shoegaze i think. 'shadows' comes to mind when i write this, though -- probably because of the modulation on the intro acoustic. if anyone ends up listening to that song, try listening to it with this in the background.

as far as shoegaze i like: the big hitters have mostly all been mentioned. loveless by my bloody valentine is generally considered 'the' shoegaze album (and somewhat predictably one of my favorites), even though dm seems to disagree. he's entitled to it as he's been around smogon longer than most of you have been alive, and besides, felony butt prison changes a man. slouvaki by slowdive was mentioned, also an essential shoegaze album. i only like the song 'seagull' by ride but the band seems to be mentioned a lot in these sorts of lists. chapterhouse is good, honest shoegaze -- they've been mentioned as well (hello rg). swervedriver. lush. i'd consider most, if not all of these artists as seminal. feel free to add to or alter my list, however.

as far as more personal recommendations: drop nineteens' my aquarium ep is up there and they are pretty overtly influenced by the above. they do a nice cover of mandy. alison's halo is a beautiful act but i've had a hard time finding much material by them -- still i'd recommend seeking it out. medicine and the telescopes are two separate bands that incorporate a little more noise than most of the bands i've mentioned, which i really like. a buried life and altered perspectives (respectively) are among my favorites of theirs. astrobrite is a more recent band that does a pretty admirable job (in places) of emulating that swollen texture that loveless is known for. i sort of forget what albums of astrobrite's i liked most, so i'll leave that out. in fact, i'm drawing a general blank so i'll just leave my recommendations at that.

good point. jenny lee lindberg (bassist) is a babe as well but damn, i didn't know shannon sossamon was involved with warpaint. imagine seeing her play live... i would melt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)