Shooting Yourself in the Foot for Fun and Profit

New World Order

Licks Toads
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
How difficult is it exactly to use aeo's Warstory converter? You don't even have to include it with your write-up, just imput your log, get the pictures, and wrap the warstory around HIDE tags or something. Right now, nobody has any idea what the HP percentages of the Pokemon are at the end of each turn, which makes it incredibly difficult to follow along. I like that you've come up with a creative format for writing the warstory itself, but we need to be able to follow the battle itself as well.

How difficult is it exactly to use aeo's Warstory converter? You don't even have to include it with your write-up, just imput your log, get the pictures, and wrap the warstory around HIDE tags or something. Right now, nobody has any idea what the HP percentages of the Pokemon are at the end of each turn, which makes it incredibly difficult to follow along. I like that you've come up with a creative format for writing the warstory itself, but we need to be able to follow the battle itself as well.

I think that's kind of his point. This is sort of a protest to the standard warstory format.

Personally, I would like to see this written up in the "standard" format and see how it turns out.

The first and most pressing difficulty I faced when using aeo's Warstory converter was my complete ignorance of its existence. Could I have a link? On the other hand, I'm not entirely sure it would improve matters, as there are very few moments in which knowing exact health percentages would improve the quality of the post.

Personally, I would like to see this written up in the "standard" format and see how it turns out.
I've nothing against using the standard format, but I don't think it would work for this battle. Check out the conclusion--dozens of turns of PP Stalling before getting a lucky break. While there is fun to be had here, it's best to gloss over the boring bits.

New World Order

Licks Toads
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Well I think you should very least wrap the battle log into hide tags, so we know what is going on when you say "I switch to Gabriel". It just helps people follow along.

I did, down the bottom of the post. I didn't realise I referred to a Pokémon by nickname. I can fix that, at least. Thanks.

While the battle itself wasn't spectacular, the writing was. I guess I'm still stuck in the RSE days, when warstories were aimed more at entertaining readers than showcasing epic matches. And you sir, did the former wonderfully.

What about making simple pictures? You will spend like 30 minutes to do them all, and the effects will be great.

An option would be making each pokmon a ball with face and colors and small details (Gyarados with its trident horn and lateral head "flaps", for example (im not american, sorry)).

Something really simple, easy and fast to do, but that is very informative/helps us keep the track. The pics dnot need to be in every turn... they could illustrate every few turns or so. Again, the pics dont need to be pretty. Just useful.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
I personally enjoyed this warstory a truckload, and I think it definitely needs to be bumped to the front page. I'm of the solid opinion that anybody who complained of it being "hard to follow," "nonstandard," or "in dire need of pictures" is either too rigid or too simple to grasp the idea of this warstory. You wove a fun story with great use of language and even a good battle as the foundation, and did it all in a short little package with the fun surprise of a moral at the end. I must confess I may be biased because I was also a fan of your previous warstory, which had a rather negative reception, but this sort of style is a definite break from the too-structured norm, where writers are often grasping for what to put in the less important turns and wish they could elaborate on the more important. A good mix of both styles is what I think Smogon needs. A solid warstory, and a 9.5/10 for you sir. Luvdisc'd.

PS: to anyone complaining that the warstory needs to follow the standard format, do you really want to read a 25 turn log of Gliscor trying to hax Skarmory to death? Neither do I.

Nice stuff.
Thanks for your support. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Also, whose idea were the Lovediscs? It's adorable.

Kind words.
I got into Smogon at the tail end of RSE, with a different account IIRC. Much of it is probably nostalgia, but I remembering enjoying the warstories an awful lot more.

Constructive criticism.
I actually thought of doing just that, but I was never able to get more than three or four looking good in one consistent style. Giving up, I thought I'd just put in the sprites, but again was unable to fit them into the text without breaking the flow of the narrative. Thanks for the feedback, though. =)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)