Shopping in america

ok smogoners, i'd like to ask your advice on somthing, especially all the fellow brits on here.

Now, my mum and dad are going to america in the autumn, new york to be precise. As this sounds like a pretty cool place, i was pretty pissed off to learn that i wouldnt be going. to make it up to me, my mum said that she would be happy to buy me anything over there that isnt sold in england (provided i supplied her with the money ¬¬).

I was pretty pleased to hear this, as it seems americans get everything before europe (Brawl, D/P, Movies, Music etc.) but when she asked me what i actually wanted, i was at a total loss. its like when relatives ring up at chirstmas and ask what you'd like, and all you can think about is what is on tv at that very moment (no seriously, i nearly asked for a spice girls DVD once. "the only time i want to see Geri Halliwell draped in the union jack again is if she dies in battle").

I know i'd like some cool clothes, new shoes and shit, but seriously, could you guys reccomend any american exclusives? new dvd releases that wont be in england for a while? new games? and brilliant shops in new york that she should know about?

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Don't ask for any DVDs from America, they won't work in your European Region players.

Jimbo

take me anywhere
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
While I don't have any suggestions for specifically what to buy, ask your parents if they can travel to New Jersey for a day, it's a LOT cheaper to buy things. New York has tax on food and clothes, where NJ doesn't.

A lot of tourists shop at Macy's in Herald Square.
It's a huge department store with 9 floors, 10 adding floor 1.5, of shopping space.
Loads of clothing, some electronics, shoes, sneakers, the whole nine yards.
They always have sales going on. Plus they can get an additional 11% off since they're not from New York City.
They need to go to the 1.5 and show their non-New York City I.D.
They can also exchange currency at American Express which is also located on floor 1.5.
If you're looking for video games, they can try going to the Nintendo World Store located at Rockefeller Center. From what I've heard, it's the only one in the U.S.
Hope this helps.

Also they can open things like i-pods and they assume you've come through with them. Electronics is a good way to go they US is much cheaper, I found lots of electronics about half the price you'd find in england. Also any ds games you want they'll be cheaper too, and aren't region coded.

How about one of those "I heart NY" shirts? other than that i don't know, but good luck and bummer you can't go :/

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
You should probably buy some shoes, I don't know I feel that it's something real big when you wear clothes and the price does not matter, mostly I wear Jordans or Air Force, ranging from about $80 - $135, so you should be hopefully be able to afford it. It really does suck you aren't going though, I hate when parents pick out my shit for me lol

To Toby jezard:

First and foremost, I love your avatar. Your parents did well in creating you.

The place for clothes shopping in NYC is SoHo. And Fifth Avenue between 48th Street and 57th Street if you can afford it.

Most of NYC exclusive attractions is food and restaurants........

If you're looking for clothing, Aéropostale (my favorite of these four), American Eagle, Hollister, and Abercrombie are all nice. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe that these franchises exist in Europe, either.

If you're looking for clothing, Aéropostale (my favorite of these four), American Eagle, Hollister, and Abercrombie are all nice. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe that these franchises exist in Europe, either.
Pshhh. Hollister and American Eagle are better IMO and I see way more people wearing those as Abercrombie is incredibly overpriced for average Americans. Aero is alright but Hollister is my favorite. Specially the shirts with double meanings. Ex. I'll buy you dinner if you promise me dessert. Stuff like that. Other then that, I like shopping at Macy's but nothing very unique there.

What about cookie crisp? The dog/wolf in their commercials seems pretty messed up, and he only gets to smell them.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Your Wii will not play games from the US. Your 360 will not play most games from the US. Your PS3, DS, and PSP will play all games from the US. That's what you need to keep in mind on the games front.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)