Showdown Double Team (RMT)

This team is being constructed for the Competitive VGS event, it is obviously an in-game team, so I aim to avoid using pokemon that would be hard to obtain with decent IVs and a correct nature, such as Cressila and Lati@s. Also all pokemon must be at level 50, so this may restrict some other options, but I'm sure most of you are aware of the Double Battle rules.
Anyway, onto the team ;D

Garchomp @ Life Orb
Sand Veil
Jolly nature (+ Spe, - SpA)
52 HP/200 Atk/252 Spe
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Crunch
- Protect
My lead, along with Zapdos, the synergy between these two is fairly obvious IMO, as both rare immune to the others STAB attack (Earthquake&Discharge) allowing for me to fire these off without having to worry about causing damage to my teammate. Dragon Claw is for secondary STAB and hits many pokemon for neutral damage which can prove useful. Crunch is there to hit any ghost/psychic types that also lead, such as the common TR Dusknoir. Protect is there for the obvious reason of scouting, and allowing protection against the many Explosion users. the speed EVs allow me to outrun all base 100 pokemon as well as Adamant Garchomp.

Zapdos @ Lum Berry
Pressure
Timid nature (+ Spe, - Atk)
228 HP/120 SpA/156 Spe
- Discharge
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Heat Wave
- Protect
The other half of my leading combo. Dishcarge is for obvious STAB, and also hits both enemy pokemon, HP [Grass} helps with covering the likes of Swampert and other ground types that are immune to Discharge and Heat Wave helps when a Steel/Grass/Ice pokemon shows up. Protect is again there for obvious reasons. The speed EVs here help outrun all non-scarfed base 90 pokemon and the HP EVs are more a bit of bulk.

Gyarados @ Wacan Berry
Intimidate
Jolly nature (+ Spe, - SpA)
164 HP/116 Atk/228 Spe
- Waterfall
- Return
- Stone Edge
- Protect
I tend to bring this in if my Zapdos faints, as the synergy with Garchomp is fairly decent. Waterfall&Return are they for complete neutral coverage when combined with Garchomp/Electivire's Earthquake. Stone Edge hits any flying foes nicely, as Garchomp lacks the ability to do this and get super effective damage. Again, I'm running protect for Explosion scouting. EVs give for some bulk, as well as attack power, and this Gyarados is fairly well balanced, I think. The Wacan Berry helps me take less damage from any electrical attacks that come my way. I try to avoid sending this out with Zapdos at all costs, as synergy is poor between the two of them.

Electivire @ Shuca Berry
Motor Drive
Rash nature (+ SpA, - SpD)
100 Atk/4 Def/252 SpA/152 Spe
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Earthquake
- Protect
This is usually brought in if Gatchomp is the first to fall, as it loves to get Motor Drive boosts from Zapdos' Discharge. And it can use Earthquake without worrying about damaging Zapdos, also it has nice synergy with Gyarados, and between them they again have complete neutral coverage. Speed EVs allow me to Electivire to ourun most things after a Motor Drive boost and max special attacks is there for the extra power needed for the moves to work effectively. Shuca Berry allows me to survive a STAB earthquake from an opposing Garchomp, Hidden Power [Ice] can dispatch this threat nicely.

I realise my team is not perfect, but I was hoping with the aid of you I could make it far better, so please do rate away (:

If I'm not mistaken, you can't train a zapdos beyond giving it vitamins.
Aren't the fr/lg zapdos level 50 and the platinum zapdos level 60?
I thought carefully about the pokemon that can be used for the tournament and almost all of the legal legendaries are level 50+ when caught.

I thought carefully about the pokemon that can be used for the tournament and almost all of the legal legendaries are level 50+ when caught.
You can train Zapdos easily, via box trick, vitamins, EV boosting items, lv 2 Bidoofs, lv 10 Budews, and Fisherman Andrew.

For the team itself, I'd suggest either keeping the EVs as is or changing them to 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Speed while holding a Focus Sash. It depends on whether you want to risk recoil, or having lower defenses. Almost nobody uses Jollyy Garchomp, so unless you want to outspeed +speed base 100s, then I suggest Adamant. I think Zapdos is fine, except for Hidden Power Grass. It's an O.K. move, but you should also consider Hidden Power Ice. It really depends on which one you get first while having good IVs and nature. For Gyarados I don't think a non-STAB Return would help, and I think Taunt would be a better option. Electivire looks exotic to me, as I have never seen a mostly Special Attacking Electivire. It does seem to do well, however, and if you can get Hidden Power Ice, then it might be a good choice.

Yes all wild pokemon came with neutral ev's, I was able to train my 50 heatran and max his ev;s.

Right, uh, just so you know, your Garchomp's Crunch fails to OHKO a 252 HP/4 Def/ Neutral-nature Dusknoir, nor does it put it in kill range for Zapdos's Discharge unless your roll absolute max damage both times, and if they're paired with a Fake Out user (or if they just use a Bronzong or something), TR's going up and it's gonna hurt. I'd feel a lot more comfortable just Taunting the thing. Maybe move Gyarados up to Zapdos's spot and slap Taunt over Protect or Return? The first-turn Intimidate is handy and Gyara still has that EQ immunity.

Other than that, I don't have much to say right now, except I can't help feelling that you're overusing Protect and that this team doesn't have enough power behind it without enough defense to take on more aggressive teams. I dunno. If I was gonna get rid of anything it'd probably be Electivire but right now I don't know.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)