ORAS OU Simple & Effective Peaked 5th (1796 elo) Rain HO

Hello everyone. Today I will be presenting a Rain Offense team that got me to top 5 just a few days ago. I'm still surpised the team got me this far and im very proud of my work. Also this time I actually peaked on my main account(terry41) instead of my alt. So any positive constructive criticism is appreciated because its very weak to hazards but thats do to limitations of my style teambuilding because i want to make sure I wasnt walled by any poke as possible. So lets begin

Proof of Ladder:

Laddering Song:

Now lets begin with the team.

Ganju (Swampert-Mega) (M) @ Swampertite
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 104 HP / 252 Atk / 152 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Power-Up Punch

so here is the focus of the team. Since ORAS started I always wanted to build a rain team around Swampert-M but they all sucked. So recently I decided to try again and here we are. I wanted this set because I wanted some bulk on it since this set can take a regular brave bird for a talonflame. This and garchomp are my bird checks The set is pretty standard and the reason why i chose Power-Up Punch was to help punish switch ins and give it more power for easier sweeping.

(A/N= The reason why its nicknamed Ganju because Mega Swampert reminds me of one of my good friends because he too is also pretty frickin brolic)

Debbie (Kingdra) (F) @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Draco Meteor
- Hydro Pump

Kingra here is the second rain sweeper of the team. She's here for late game sweeping. the reason why I used choice specs instead of life orb because I couldnt afford the recoil damage because this team has no hazard control. The moveset for kingdra is pretty much standard set. the water and dragon moves are pretty much for STAB and ice is for grass and dragin types.

Sharknado (Garchomp) (M) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Stealth Rock
- Swords Dance

okay Here is SD Lead garchomp. the reason why its max speed SD because I absolutely hate it when either Breelom(focus sashed), Mega Sableye or Rotom-W leads against my team. I didnt want to be crippled first turn my losing momrntum from facing those poke. the lum berry allows the to take a status safely so I can either set up and weakened the opposing and/or set up hazard safely then weakend. the only poke it can set up hazard on is Mega Sableye but it does massive damage towards it after a SD because most mega sableyes will most likely try to will-o-wisp.

Kermit (Politoed) (M) @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 164 SpD / 96 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Rest
- Encore
- Toxic

So here is one of the most import pokemon on this team or all rain teams in OU in general since it the only natural rain setter because of drizzle.This is one of the standard OU sets for rain setter Politeod. I love using encore with this poke because it locks in pokes that like to set up so they can be easy targets for revenge killing. Rest helps you preserve the rain even further by healing it which allows Politoed to switch in and out more so you can have more rain turns.

Canary (Tornadus-Therian) @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 40 Atk / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hurricane
- Focus Blast
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Here Tornadus-T. This poke is an amazing poke for rain teams. when its not raining in the battle it loves to miss majority of the time. This is ur main grass type check because hurricane doesnt miss in the rain.U turn+ is use to gain more offenive momentum in battle. Regenerator helps with recover and that you never die to hazards. Focus Blast can 2hko ferrothron.

Arsenal (Scizor) @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Superpower
- Bullet Punch

So now when finishing the team I realized i need a faircy check so banded Scizor camme too mind. This poke also helps against ferrothorn because it does about 80% with superpower which 2HKO it. the reason why its max speed because I want to U-turn over rotom-w before it can burn me and also weaken it since rotom-w can also wall most of my team.
252+ Atk Choice Band Scizor U-turn vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-W: 130-154 (42.9 - 50.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Watch the Replays!

Ganju (Swampert-Mega) (M) @ Swampertite
EVs: 104 HP / 252 Atk / 152 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Power-Up Punch

Debbie (Kingdra) (F) @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Draco Meteor
- Hydro Pump

Sharknado (Garchomp) (M) @ Lum Berry
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Stealth Rock
- Swords Dance

Kermit (Politoed) (M) @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 164 SpD / 96 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Rest
- Encore
- Toxic

Canary (Tornadus-Therian) @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 40 Atk / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hurricane
- Focus Blast
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Arsenal (Scizor) @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Superpower
- Bullet Punch

Conclusion: So I hope people enjoy the this team and positive criticism is appreciated because no hazard. Have a nice day everyone.

Garchomp doesn't offer the team anything outside of setting up Stealth Rock. Ferrothorn > Garchomp would be a huge upgrade for a team like this, it could serve as a great utility pokemon that could absorb attacks in between rain breaks or if Kingdra or Swampert are forced out. Ferrothorn is pretty much a must for all rain teams because it provides an array of resistances, most importantly Electric-, Dragon- and Grass-type resists. I really don't see how you can stop dragons, most importantly Latios, from ripping this team apart. Power-Up Punch seems sweet in theory but Swampert's two STABs do more than enough damage without any boost. Superpower > Power-Up Punch would definitely help the team with its Ferrothorn problem as it will always KO 252 hp / 88 def / 168 spdef Ferrothorn after an Earthquake. Consider using Scald > Surf on Kingdra to punish mon's like Ferrothorn that hope to switch into it without penalty. Also Pursuit > Knock Off on Scizor could be used to trap Latios + Latias, two mon's that could prove to be problematic. Good team and nice peak!

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip

Alkov

plopping
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hey there really sick team you have there and good job on the peak! I do have a few minor suggestions for you to improve the team n_n
  • Firstly, as mentioned by rob., your team has no switch ins for strong water types like
    or
    so instead of using
    as your rocks setter, I would definitely use
    instead
    due to it's ability to provide so much resistances and utility to the team.

• Secondly, I feel that you definitely need Low Kick/Superpower on your
    to help kill off opposing
    much easily because you 2HKO it. Ice Punch in this case isn't really that needed because it only hits Dragon of which you have a
    or even
    to deal with. So having Power-Up Punch along with Low Kick allows
    to become a really threatening wall-breaker.

• Thirdly, I do notice that your
    is running max speed EVs which isn't really necessary because you only need 216EVs in speed to out-speed the usual 44speed EVs
    . Pursuit is much more appreciated
    to help get past things like

• Lastly, I do notice you are running 96speed EVs on your
    which doesn't really serve any purpose
    , instead it would be a lot more useful to have that EVs invested into having more bulk so that
    can be brought in more times to set up the rain which is greatly appreciated by your team.

Hope it helps n_n

Thank you for your team! This team is the only team that I've ever used, and I agree with most part of the team. However, I switch focus blast to heat wave to deal with ferrothorn, and knock off to superpower to deal with tyranitar.

Thank you for your team! This team is the only team that I've ever used, and I agree with most part of the team. However, I switch focus blast to heat wave to deal with ferrothorn, and knock off to superpower to deal with tyranitar.
Thanks for your reply but the only reason why heat wave isnt on the team was because its a rain team. Rain weakens fire attacks by 1/2

A lot of people are saying to replace Chomp with Ferrothorn, but I disagree. That would give this team a problem against ZardY due to the constant weather battling. Instead, change the moveset you have on your garchomp. Garchomp not only Out speeds Charizard but it also can set up rocks to discourage the switch in. Since Scizor is in the rain, I suggest making it a Defogger Scizor so it reduces hazard damage. Also, I like the idea of power up punch, but that makes you vulnerable to ferrothorn so Superpower over Power-Up Punch to reduce Iron Barbs residual damage

Garchomp
Item: Lum Berry
Evs: 252 Spe/252 Atk/4 Def
Nature: Jolly
-Stealth Rock
-Dragon Claw
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge

Scizor
Item: Leftovers
Evs: 248 Hp/40 Def/220 SpDef
Nature: Impish
-Defog
-U-Turn
-Bullet Punch
-Roost

This Scizor also helps with any Lati@s troubles if you had any. Great team, great job, and hopefully my changes help you out. Let me know how it goes and have a nice day my boy/girl/undefined (I don't discriminate).

The previous rates are correct, garchomp doesn't benefit from the rain in any fashion and hazards are not always needed because of the sheer power that rain brings making the set seem a bit redundant. However ferro does not really answer banded Azu or Specs keldeo because of superpower and secret sword making it a guessing game whether to use ferro in case they want to scald/waterfall using your own rain or if they are predicting your answer will be ferro. its a dangerous game so heres my solution

I think that celebi over garchomp and ferro will be the way to go. Celebi will answer Azuramill and keldeo and rotom w and breloom which are all massive issues for your team, while still providing hazards and adds a more reliable status absorber than lum berry chomp and gives you momentum with baton pass, which is a massive bonus when using Specs kingdra.
If you choose to run healing wish it can also bring back swampert or kingdra or even poli if you get stuck in a bad spot with him.

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 84 SpD / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Psychic
- Recover
- Baton Pass/Healing Wish
- Stealth Rock

or

Celebi @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 248 SpD / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
- Psychic
- Recover
- Baton Pass
- Stealth Rock

The first spread allows you to outspeed adament bisharp, and avoid the 2hko from lopunnys return, run psychic over giga drain because of breloom.

The second will do much better against electric types, for example:

252 SpA Mega Manectric Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 248+ SpD Celebi: 98-116 (24.2 - 28.7%) -- 98.4% chance to 4HKO

While psychic does 44-48 percent back, oh and flamethrower does less the HP ice during rain and overheat can just be scouted with recover as it wont 0hko.

Id also run the 248 hp 252 attack 8 Speed set on Scizor with pursuit over knock off if you choose to add celebi. Since you should never really need to worry about out speeding a rotom with Celebi on your side and the slow u turns can really help bring a rain sweeper in. Pursuit over knock off helps deal with threats like Alakazam which can trace your swift swim and sweep you or lati twins which resist your water stabs.

Awesome team, with a great peak, as a fellow rain player i take my hat off to you sir. Hope i helped

Oh and as a final note I would use the standard AV Torn over the life orb. He puts in alot of work for the team being the only real anser to mons like serp, gengar, and various other Special Attackers. This will help keep him alive for much longer. though it is up to your own preferance I find the longevity is helpful with torn.

Last edited:
The previous rates are correct, garchomp doesn't benefit from the rain in any fashion and hazards are not always needed because of the sheer power that rain brings making the set seem a bit redundant. However ferro does not really answer banded Azu or Specs keldeo because of superpower and secret sword making it a guessing game whether to use ferro in case they want to scald/waterfall using your own rain or if they are predicting your answer will be ferro. its a dangerous game so heres my solution

I think that celebi over garchomp and ferro will be the way to go. Celebi will answer Azuramill and keldeo and rotom w and breloom which are all massive issues for your team, while still providing hazards and adds a more reliable status absorber than lum berry chomp and gives you momentum with baton pass, which is a massive bonus when using Specs kingdra.
If you choose to run healing wish it can also bring back swampert or kingdra or even poli if you get stuck in a bad spot with him.

Celebi @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 84 SpD / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Psychic
- Recover
- Baton Pass/Healing Wish
- Stealth Rock

or

Celebi @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 248 SpD / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
- Psychic
- Recover
- Baton Pass
- Stealth Rock

The first spread allows you to outspeed adament bisharp, and avoid the 2hko from lopunnys return, run psychic over giga drain because of breloom.

The second will do much better against electric types, for example:

252 SpA Mega Manectric Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 248+ SpD Celebi: 98-116 (24.2 - 28.7%) -- 98.4% chance to 4HKO

While psychic does 44-48 percent back, oh and flamethrower does less the HP ice during rain and overheat can just be scouted with recover as it wont 0hko.

Id also run the 248 hp 252 attack 8 Speed set on Scizor with pursuit over knock off if you choose to add celebi. Since you should never really need to worry about out speeding a rotom with Celebi on your side and the slow u turns can really help bring a rain sweeper in. Pursuit over knock off helps deal with threats like Alakazam which can trace your swift swim and sweep you or lati twins which resist your water stabs.

Awesome team, with a great peak, as a fellow rain player i take my hat off to you sir. Hope i helped

Oh and as a final note I would use the standard AV Torn over the life orb. He puts in alot of work for the team being the only real anser to mons like serp, gengar, and various other Special Attackers. This will help keep him alive for much longer. though it is up to your own preferance I find the longevity is helpful with torn.
Celebi is not a ideal partner for this team, to be honest. Too much pressure for swampert to check talonflame. If you want to bring celebi, you must also bring thunder wave and be physically defensive to trap talonflame.

This is a valid point Feisb8, you need a physically defensive Celebi because of the talonflame weakness. I will let the calculations speak for themselves.

252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Celebi: 338-402 (83.6 - 99.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Garchomp: 244-288 (68.3 - 80.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Honestly you have a glaring Talonflame weakness whether you choose to use celebi or not. A smart player will pick this up, and force you to sac mons late or mid with or with out Celebi. Kabutops could relieve this entire issue by hard countering talon, I would replace scizor since his roll can be filled almost completley by kabutops, other than sacing off some bulk. Now for some more calcs to show how kabutops just destroys fairies, and really anything

252+ Atk Life Orb Kabutops Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 172 Def Clefable in Rain: 269-317 (68.2 - 80.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

and I have to say as a rain player I am a HUGE fan of kabutops, at +2 with life orb almost nothing stands in his way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)