Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread (read the op before posting a thread)

What are some checks and counters for Protean Greninja?
SpDef AV Magearna, Gastrodon. Mantine, Chansey, SpDef Ferrothorn, SpDef Celesteela, Keldeo, Tapu Koko, Mega Lopunny and Scarf Tapu Lele are checks, there are other checks as well, but those are the most relevants of the top of my mind

Edit: see Martin's post, Mantine is apparently not a counter :P

Last edited:
SpDef AV Magearna, Gastrodon and Mantine are counters. Chansey, SpDef Ferrothorn, SpDef Celesteela, Keldeo, Tapu Koko, Mega Lopunny and Scarf Tapu Lele are checks, there are other checks as well, but those are the most relevants of the top of my mind
It depends on what moveset it runs though. A solid handful of these can't check depending on Greninja's coverage.

It depends on what moveset it runs though. A solid handful of these can't check depending on Greninja's coverage.
That's why they're checks not counters, the ones I mentioned as counters though work like 99.9% of the time, yes Z-Dig, HP Electric and HP Grass are a thing, but they're so dumb and situational that they shouldn't really be considered imo.

That's why they're checks not counters, the ones I mentioned as counters though work like 99.9% of the time, yes Z-Dig, HP Electric and HP Grass are a thing, but they're so dumb and situational that they shouldn't really be considered imo.
Yeav, I know, just wanted to add the "maybe" or "probably" to your answer.

Wait, Z-dig? I that a thing?!

Wait, Z-dig? I that a thing?!
It's a lure for AV Magearna, I personally find it really dumb but it exists. You're much better of using Duggy and some Eject Button shit to trap Magearna than wasting your Z move and your greninja coverage for luring one Magearna set. tl;dr don't use it, use Dugtrio instead

What's the standard set for Double Dance Magearna? I know it's BoltBeam+SG+CM but is there a specific EV spread? Electrium Z or a berry or Air Balloon?

What's the standard set for Double Dance Magearna? I know it's BoltBeam+SG+CM but is there a specific EV spread? Electrium Z or a berry or Air Balloon?
Most of the time you should run Timid max Speed, with 252 SpA. As for the item, Electrium Z is preferred but Leftovers works if you already have a Z move user, that's the standard. Alternative bulkier EV spreads along with HP restoring berries can be used for Veil Offense though. As for Air Baloon, its pretty bad and it was only used when Baton Pass was allowed.

The stupid thing about Magearna though is that it can run virtually any combination of moves. Already we've seen variants of SG CM that run Focus Blast + STAB which basically rewrites its list of checks, and you don't even know it until it actually uses a move.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Just a note, but Mantine dies to 2 Gunk Shots w/ SR up

Nature
  • Bold
EVs
  • 252 HP
  • 192 Def
  • 64 SpD

I know this is the standard Toxapex ev spread that lets you avoid the 2 hit ko from LO Gengar's Shadow Ball after rocks when holding a Black Sludge, but what about when holding a Shed Shell? When I tried to create a similar ev spread, it didnt have the physical bulk to handle some of the threats mentioned in the Toxapex page in the strategy index.

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
how important are scarf users in bulky offense/hyper offense teams? currently trying to make a team and it's hard to fit everything
Unless you are running a combination of Volcarona checks such as Zygarde, Pex, and T-tar, or just Mantine/Chansey, a Scarfer is basically a necessity in this meta to deal with it reliably. Good ones include Greninja, Chomper, Keldeo, Latios, and Lele. Tapu Lele is probably the best Scarfer in the tier but it can't revenge kill Volcarona, so it necessitates a T-tar/Mantine in order to get away with running it.

Unless you are running a combination of Volcarona checks such as Zygarde, Pex, and T-tar, or just Mantine/Chansey, a Scarfer is basically a necessity in this meta to deal with it reliably. Good ones include Greninja, Chomper, Keldeo, Latios, and Lele. Tapu Lele is probably the best Scarfer in the tier but it can't revenge kill Volcarona, so it necessitates a T-tar/Mantine in order to get away with running it.
I see thanks for the info ! What do you think of Choice Scarf Victini? I'm interested in it and it looks pretty cool having a 180 BP move :O It lowers the speed though so not sure if it's worth. It can OHKO Volcarona too.

I see thanks for the info ! What do you think of Choice Scarf Victini? I'm interested in it and it looks pretty cool having a 180 BP move :O It lowers the speed though so not sure if it's worth. It can OHKO Volcarona too.
The issue is that it doesn't outspeed volc after a qd. Basically, it's inevitable that volcarona will set up at some point, so you have to have a way to kill it after it's used quiver dance once. Either that, or a mon that flat out walls it, which is few and far between.

Victini merely speed ties, so its not really reliable.

The issue is that it doesn't outspeed volc after a qd. Basically, it's inevitable that volcarona will set up at some point, so you have to have a way to kill it after it's used quiver dance once. Either that, or a mon that flat out walls it, which is few and far between.

Victini merely speed ties, so its not really reliable.
Hm I see. I just calced it and Victini can tank a hit but not very well so any prior damage on it would wreck it. I see what you mean haha.

Guys, how is Mega Sharpedo faring in the current Meta?! It's a mon I was considering building a team around, but I'm not so sure on how effective it is. And if does indeed have merit over other 'mons, what would be suggested as teammates? Thanks in advance :)

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, but is the council considering giving arena trap a suspect test soon as in maybe usum release soon? (A simple "yes, soon" or "no, not soon but under consideration" would be very nice please)

I know its only been a while since duggys suspect but most of the votes were because of lack understanding of meta and because it was so early on and cough cough because it was suspected before actual threats like phero cough so people (like me) basically thought it wasnt broken

But oh boi was i wrong. with z moves, cb and cs, dugtrio traps 90% of the meta its ridiculous, not even mentioning eject button which you can literally almost never see coming. I regret ever thinking its not broken, and im sure others feel the same

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, but is the council considering giving arena trap a suspect test soon as in maybe usum release soon? (A simple "yes, soon" or "no, not soon but under consideration" would be very nice please)

I know its only been a while since duggys suspect but most of the votes were because of lack understanding of meta and because it was so early on and cough cough because it was suspected before actual threats like phero cough so people (like me) basically thought it wasnt broken

But oh boi was i wrong. with z moves, cb and cs, dugtrio traps 90% of the meta its ridiculous, not even mentioning eject button which you can literally almost never see coming. I regret ever thinking its not broken, and im sure others feel the same
They won't suspect anything until after wcop is done. Even when it is, there's no guarantee that duggie is first on the agenda (gearna, ashgren etc). From what I can gather, it does still get brought up in the odd Policy Review thread now and then, which I recommend checking out as there's a lot of talk about stall, and duggie plays a large part in that. It's likely the suspect may be revisited and redone at some point before usum but it's not a guarantee.

Can someone tell me which EV's spread and sets they should run in the same team? Smogondex still says Clef should be bold, which i think it's outdated. Ty

Can someone tell me which EV's spread and sets they should run in the same team? Smogondex still says Clef should be bold, which i think it's outdated. Ty
Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Soft-Boiled
- Flamethrower / Knock Off / Thunder Wave

Toxapex @ Shed Shell
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 192 Def / 64 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Recover
- Toxic Spikes / Toxic
- Haze

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Flamethrower
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Bold Clefable is actually not outdated, it's used to take on stuff like Band Zygarde and Mega Medicham.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)