1. The moderators of this forum are bludz, celticpride, TDK, Finchinator, Gary, Subject 18 and Team Pokepals.
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  3. Click here to ensure that you never miss a new SmogonU video upload!

Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread (read the op before posting a thread)

Discussion in 'OverUsed' started by Celticpride, Nov 17, 2016.

1. Peter Swanton

Peter Swanton

Oh, but aren't they all top threats in the metagame?
  2. Shadowtex1

Shadowtex1

Charizard y is very bad ATM because of how easy it is to wall with balance and stall, and it is also easily pressured by offense, so no, it's not a top threat. While volcarona is, giving up one of zapdos moves just for one mon is almost never worth it. Besides, volcarona will not enjoy switching into discharge, especially with its 30% percent chance to paralyze. If you are really paranoid about volcarona, you are better of using a scarfer that can revenge carona, who are also, unlike ancient power, not complete deadweight outside of one mon.
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  3. Le teamribou

Le teamribou

Yeah, but the problem is that outside of hitting these mons, it has very little utility versus the rest of the metagame, and has actually more utility being used defensively
  4. BPGXMG

BPGXMG

In addition to what the two above me said, Zapdos still isn't beating Volc. Volc after a boost just demolishes it, and before then, it's unlikely it'd be out against zapdos anyways. Definitely not worth it.
    Shadowtex1 likes this.
  5. Bagaço

Bagaço

Hi :) anyone can tell me what is that Mega Sableye ev spread? 248hp 160def 100spdef careful
    thanks
  6. KingDom

KingDom

I've got a core together, but I've hit a speed bump. I have no idea which Pokemon to add to the team. It seems like almost every team is running Landorus-T and I don't have that or any of the others that are 'meta', but I can do my best to get them. I'm open to every suggestion.

Show Hide
    Gyarados-Mega (M) @ Gyaradosite
    Ability: Mold Breaker
    Level: 50
    Shiny: Yes
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    - Earthquake
    - Waterfall
    - Crunch
    - Dragon Dance

Ninetales-Alola @ Light Clay
    Ability: Snow Warning
    EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk
    - Aurora Veil
    - Freeze-Dry
    - Encore
    - Moonblast

Marowak-Alola (M) @ Thick Club
    Ability: Lightning Rod
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    - Swords Dance
    - Flare Blitz
    - Bonemerang
    - Shadow Bone
    Leo likes this.
  7. Leo

Leo you are badges will get stripped
    is a Contributor to Smogon

Hello, before giving you a proper answer, what format are you playing? The level of your mons make me think youre looking for advice in Battle Spot instead of OU because we use lv100 mons, not lv50.
    KingDom likes this.
  8. Noo skills

Noo skills

Cool team. Marowak and ninetales would really appreciate hazard removal, and a stealth rocker will make marowaks job easier. Maybe try latias and lando. Also other mons that can abuse veil such as suicune
    KingDom likes this.
  9. KingDom

KingDom

I apologize, for the confusion. I play using the Smogon OU rules with a group of guys on my ship during my deployments. It more of a divisional thing, but I do plan on using the team on PS! to test, thank you for your time, and I look forward to your reply.
  10. Leo

Ok, don't forget to set all of your mons to lv100 from now on tho or else you'll be at a huge disadvantage. I see that you paired Mega Gyarados with Ninetales-A for Veil and Marowak as an Electric immunity and a mon that can beat bulky Grass-types for Gyarados. I think Gyara can work with Veil because it's a bulky set up sweeper, but marowak doesnt really synergize well with Veil because its too slow without priority to make up for it and adds another rocks weakness to your team. Since you're using Ninetales-A, you're going to want the rest of your team to be able to abuse Veil, so other bulky set up sweepers like SG CM Magearna or DD Zygarde. This is a cool rmt you should probably read which explains how these mons work and what other mons you can use so make sure to give that a look and good luck
    Earlio and KingDom like this.
  11. Saavedra

Saavedra

Hello. This is my first day on this forum and the main reason I subscribed is because I wanted to ask a simple question. Why is deoxys d banned? yeah, it has good stats and decent support moves, but it's typing and ability are horrible. This pokemon wouldn't be that used even in OU so I wonder, why is it an Uber? is it a stats thing?
  12. Le teamribou

Le teamribou

13. BPGXMG

BPGXMG

I wasn't around back then but this thread should hold the answer: http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...g-round-4-alienation-of-the-wretched.3509824/
    edit: sniped
  14. Saavedra

Saavedra

Interesting that they suspect tested speed and defense. speed is definitively a monster that should remain in ubers, but defense? deoxys defense is great for hazards, but it's also a sitting duck, a bait for setting up. Honestly I can see it go as low as UU if it is released from Ubers.

EDIT: Well, maybe not UU, but BL definitively.
  15. JuanchoTacorta

JuanchoTacorta

Is the OU's discord server public? If so, can you pass the link please?
  16. Shadowtex1

Shadowtex1

It was mainly banned because it gaurenteed 2 hazards for HO teams, and with how easy it is to pressure defoggers with HO, it was not easy to remove them. Deoxy s d could also block entry hazards with magic coat, meaning with deoxy d you get 2 hazards while the opponent gets 0.
  17. Mr. Uncompetitive

Mr. Uncompetitive VISUALSHOCK! SPEEDSHOCK! SOUNDSHOCK!
    is a Pre-Contributor

Deo-D was deceptively good at what it did. Thanks to how bulky it was, it didn't need to run Focus Sash which opened the door to a shitload of different item choices like Leftovers, Tanga/Colbur Berry, Mental Herb, Red Card, and even Life Orb, all to get past what might give it trouble in getting hazards up. There are a few Pokemon that already have Spikes + SR, but not only is Deo-D superior in terms of stats (90 Speed is very good given its bulk, and its offenses weren't too bad either as you'll see), they don't even come close to the sheer versatility it had up its sleeve to beat its would-be answers. You've of course got Taunt and Magic Coat to stop opposing hazard setters/Taunt users/setup mons/whatever. Skill Swap also saw some use (at least in BW2) in order to get past Magic Bounce users, and T-Wave, CounterCoat, and Toxic could prolly be used to fuck over sweepers or walls. And then of course, because Deo-D is still a Deoxys forme, it's got a great offensive movepool to choose from if needbe. 70 Atk/SpA isn't enough for a consistent offensive presence, yes, but it IS enough to let it break past specific mons as its team needed. It's got stuff like Thunder/Thunderbolt, Psycho Boost, Superpower, HP Fire, Ice Beam, Knock Off, and so on; it could beat so many offensive threats given the right moveset and item choice (I wouldn't be surprised if people would try running Z Moves on it if it was legal rn). While obviously it can't do all of these things at once, it could just be tuned to whatever your teams needs, so its ability to get up hazards on top of how many ways it could snuff out an opposition made it banworthy.
  18. AM

AM Free Bloo
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion

One of Deo-Ds best sets included Recover / Spikes to maintain Spikes all throughout the game. Deo days were awful, I was there.
    Muscle K, Exploudit, Vertex and 4 others like this.
  19. zbr

zbr o: im cute
    is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Can someone bring an old man like me up to speed with the current OU metagame trends? I was here during the aurora veil spam days but then had to leave for reasons and stuff. D:

edit - deo days were rough man. never bring them back down. dont consider bringing normal deo and whatever uber threats down. also, what are some good teams to consider using to get back up to speed on the metagame other than shitty kokolucha rain
  20. Leo

Off the top of my head: Dugtrio is banned now so Heatran is better than it's ever been, Choice Specs Koko has become Koko's best set and one of the best mons in the current meta, which also pairs well with another beast rn in LO Kyurem-B. Charizard-Y isn't good anymore and other mons that were good back then like Zap have went down in usage too. CB Tyranitar doesn't fear Dugtrio anymore so it's being used a lot as of late. Kartana slowly became a top tier threat in the last couple of months, going from Scarf hype to SD being the best set atm (usually runs SD 3atks fightz or darkz or sd 2atks defog). Some HOs got a lot of use during OLT but most of them didnt last long bar Gondra HO with z-celebrate Victini, another recent underrated threat. Other stuff you may want to know is Iron Head is now standard on AV Mage to deal with opposing Mages and CM Clefs, Venusaur is decent rn and usually runs EQ for Heatran, Volcarona is still a dangerous threat and now runs zBug Buzz sets with either HP Ground or Substitute as last move. Theres probably more stuff but this is what I could think of in 5 mins, hope it helps
  21. Random Passerby

Random Passerby
    is a Community Contributor

Adding on to Leo's post, Kartana's best set currently is SubSD which has enough bulk to laugh at Toxapex's Scald which can't even break the Substitute. Stall is not as common anymore although some are still around with Unaware Quagsire / Clefable in their ranks. Victini has started running its Z-Celebrate set which is a pretty decent cleaner. Zard-X has gone from garbage to decent breaker with its 3 Atks + Roost set since Lando is mostly Offensive and Pex runs more Special Defense. Kyurem-B is also emerging as a breaker and is paired with Tapu Koko. Focus Sash Dual Hazards + Taunt Greninja is very popular right now as well.
  22. OliSTDS

OliSTDS

Can someone give me an interesting (but decent) core to build around? I'm bored.
    woofmasterarf likes this.
  23. Le teamribou

Le teamribou

Sub-Sd Kartana + Specs Ash gren is fire !
    Now, more seriously, Kartana can setup istelf versus all of the mon that can come on Gren bar Av Magearna which causes this core to be able to shred more or less any balanced defensive core
  24. OliSTDS

OliSTDS

Sounds cool. I'll be sure to try it.
  25. BPGXMG

BPGXMG

Try scizor-mega + washtom, it's like sciz + wash in uu and afaik it could do decently in ou.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)