Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread (read the op before posting a thread)

Quiver Dance/Fire Blast/Bug Buzz/Hidden Power Ground

Set's certainly very potent right now, but idk for how long it will be valid considering Toxapex is back on the rise.
Replacing HP Ground with psychic can do almost exactly the same thing, so you have options. May not be the most typical, but it can be useful.

And proceed to be walled by the omnipresent Heatran, plus without Psychium Z you arent beating Pex anyways so the set posted above should be the main set until Pex usage rises.

I feel like Scolipede seems capable of putting in a lot of work rn, between all the Mega Zams and Mega Latis and Heatrans and Bulus running around. What do we think is the most effective set? Protect with Life Orb or Swords Dance with Waterium? Is Adamant okay if you have protect?

I'm noticing that a Mega Latias set of Recover/Ice Beam/Surf/HP Fire is picking up. How is a set on a Psychic-type that leaves it walled by Toxapex gaining so much traction? I know Pex is at a bit of a low point viability-wise, but it's still strange to me.

power

uh-oh, the game in trouble
I'm noticing that a Mega Latias set of Recover/Ice Beam/Surf/HP Fire is picking up. How is a set on a Psychic-type that leaves it walled by Toxapex gaining so much traction? I know Pex is at a bit of a low point viability-wise, but it's still strange to me.
You kind of need all of those moves; Ice Beam for Zygarde, Surf for Heatran / Ttar, and HP Fire for Kartana / Ferrothorn / Scizor

Getting walled by Toxapex is an unfortunate side effect, but the purpose of the set isn't to check Toxapex.

I feel like Scolipede seems capable of putting in a lot of work rn, between all the Mega Zams and Mega Latis and Heatrans and Bulus running around. What do we think is the most effective set? Protect with Life Orb or Swords Dance with Waterium? Is Adamant okay if you have protect?
Tbh I haven't run much scolipede in SM, but in ORAS I stuck with jolly to outspeed lati before a boost, or scarf lati after a boost. The power drop is noticeable, but as a cleaner scoli should be preying on weakened teams anyway.

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
Does rain power up water pokemon, or just water moves?
Rain boosts Water-type moves by 50%, and reduces the power of Fire-type moves by half, along with a few other effects like improving Thunder and Hurricane's accuracy to perfect. There's no specific bonus for Water-type Pokemon, although many pokemon that have abilities that activate in the rain like Swift Swim or Rain Dish are Water-types.

It can break through walls, but that’s more due to its amazing coverage than sheer power. It can struggle to break through things like defensive Bulu and Zapdos.
I mean I'd say it's definitely due to sheer power - 164 Attack with Adamant is super strong. Also yes, I would call it a wallbreaker.

There's no Life Orb though, so it's weaker than it looks. Weaker than Life Orb TTar.
Even IF Life Orb Tyranitar was a set, the power difference isn't THAT big (check the hide tab) and Mega Tyranitar also has a slightly better speed tier, much better bulk, and the luxury of not slowly killing itself every time it clicks a move. Taking up the Mega slow isn't that bad either bc 1. It isn't a bad mega lol and 2. Megas aren't as necessary as they used to be.

252+ Atk Life Orb Tyranitar Crunch vs. 240 HP / 156 Def Mew: 330-390 (82.2 - 97.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Tyranitar-Mega Crunch vs. 240 HP / 156 Def Mew: 294-348 (73.3 - 86.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage and Leftovers recovery

I don't know where to ask this, so simple questions simple answers seems like the best option. Does anything use recharge moves like hyper beam effectively.

I don't know where to ask this, so simple questions simple answers seems like the best option. Does anything use recharge moves like hyper beam effectively.
Not without a Z-crystal. Sometimes a recharge/charging move is used with Z-Crystals for a strong nuke (ex: Grassium Heatran, Icium Kyurem-B) but those moves aren't used by themselves.

Nothing in OU, but in PU there's Slaking because of Truant being the same thing as a Giga Impact Recharge Boost. Couple it with a choice band and you can do some crazy damage on anything that isn't a Ghost type, or bulky Steel types. Skull Bash isn't used much either.

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
Nothing in OU, but in PU there's Slaking because of Truant being the same thing as a Giga Impact Recharge Boost. Couple it with a choice band and you can do some crazy damage on anything that isn't a Ghost type, or bulky Steel types. Skull Bash isn't used much either.
Actually slaking’s Giga Impact recharge turn operates separately from his recharge turn, causing you to spend one turn immobilized and unable to switch and then the next turn loafing around.

TLDR never use slaking even in PU

Actually slaking’s Giga Impact recharge turn operates separately from his recharge turn, causing you to spend one turn immobilized and unable to switch and then the next turn loafing around.

TLDR never use slaking even in PU
According to the X and Y analysis, Giga Impact happens on the same turn as Truant. "Using Giga Impact might seem like a good idea, as the recharge turn and Truant turn match up, but Slaking cannot switch out while recharging, making it easily revenge killed or set up on. " Unless something has changed since then, Slaking's truant happens at the same time as Giga Impact.

Slaking is crap anyway because Truant is still the worst ability in the whole series (At least Slow Start means you can do something every turn) and I don't think we need to make this conversation last any longer than it is.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)