Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

I assume Mold Breaker prevents Purifying Salt from blocking a pure Status move like WoW or Toxic, but since a Damaging move like Gunk Shot can still hit for the damage, does Mold Breaker still interact for the status proc, or does it effectively become a vanilla damage hit?
Mold Breaker would let you proc a status through Purifying Salt; this is comparable to how Mold Breaker ignores Shield Dust.

YNM

formerly yNot Mence
is a Tiering Contributor
What a good balance team will be
It's a pretty complicated question, so I suggest you check the Rate My Team community here on Smogon to get some teambuilding ideas or to try them out for yourself, there are plenty of people submitting their teams and passionate mods and users that will engage in the conversation, so it will definitely help you out. To answer your question shortly though, a good Balanced team usually requires a solid bulky core that can switch into the many offensive threats of the meta to slow down your opponent momentum, as well as having at least 2 (usually more) offensive mons of your own that function as wallbreakers, cleaners and potential sweepers in the late game.

Ey does anybody know how to delete a team that has been saved to the Smogon database? I saved an outdated one a while back and no matter how many times I delete it it always pops back up...super annoying lol
If you are in the teambuilder tab, scroll all the way down and click on the "View teams uploaded to server" button, then go to the team you want to delete, click on the "[read more]" next to "Manage", and you can delete from there. Then you can go back to the Teambuilder page and delete it, and it should be gone forever. Bit of a complicated process but I hope this helps

It's a pretty complicated question, so I suggest you check the Rate My Team community here on Smogon to get some teambuilding ideas or to try them out for yourself, there are plenty of people submitting their teams and passionate mods and users that will engage in the conversation, so it will definitely help you out. To answer your question shortly though, a good Balanced team usually requires a solid bulky core that can switch into the many offensive threats of the meta to slow down your opponent momentum, as well as having at least 2 (usually more) offensive mons of your own that function as wallbreakers, cleaners and potential sweepers in the late game.
ty

If you are in the teambuilder tab, scroll all the way down and click on the "View teams uploaded to server" button, then go to the team you want to delete, click on the "[read more]" next to "Manage", and you can delete from there. Then you can go back to the Teambuilder page and delete it, and it should be gone forever. Bit of a complicated process but I hope this helps
Thank you! Glad to not see the team popping up anymore!

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
RMT Leader
Hey guys, what team archetypes are good right now? as in balance, stall, HO, BO, etc. Thank you guys in advance
I think at the moment Hyper Offense is king and Balance is probably a close 2nd. Hyper Offense objectively has been very good to use in Gen 9 OU, that really hasn't changed, there's just so much threats to take into account with offensive tera in the back for any Pokemon in conjunction with screens or sticky webs on top of that.

I think at the moment Hyper Offense is king and Balance is probably a close 2nd. Hyper Offense objectively has been very good to use in Gen 9 OU, that really hasn't changed, there's just so much threats to take into account with offensive tera in the back for any Pokemon in conjunction with screens or sticky webs on top of that.
oh balance came back? i thought it was bad or did it jus become good again post sneasler?

awyp

is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
RMT Leader
oh balance came back? i thought it was bad or did it jus become good again post sneasler?
Yes, I would say since HOME and DLC1 and the addition of new mons there's definitely been great balance teams around.

So...how do you exactly "use" an aurora veil/snow team? Do you really just lead alolatales turn 1 (or at least asap if an obvious enemy counterlead is likely to be selected by the opponent) and just click veil/possibly encore after? How do you deal with leads like glimmora/ribombee, and how much do you care about hazard control in general (including having a hazard setter/remover on your own team, and if yes do you send it before alolatales, or after?), particularly with alolatales's weakness to every hazard? Also, how do you even get in your actual setup mons, since alolatales doesn't have any pivoting moves outside of hypnosis getting enough sleep turns? Furthermore, if I were to, say, be running cetitan alongside alolatales, would the latter need to use an icy rock to support the former's slush rush ability, or is cetitan's access to a (ideally +6) ice shard enough to have alolatales stick to light clay? And actually/lastly, would the change to icy rock be more justified if running multiple mons to take advantage of the snow weather (ie weather ball mons, etc)?

So...how do you exactly "use" an aurora veil/snow team? Do you really just lead alolatales turn 1 (or at least asap if an obvious enemy counterlead is likely to be selected by the opponent) and just click veil/possibly encore after? How do you deal with leads like glimmora/ribombee, and how much do you care about hazard control in general (including having a hazard setter/remover on your own team, and if yes do you send it before alolatales, or after?), particularly with alolatales's weakness to every hazard? Also, how do you even get in your actual setup mons, since alolatales doesn't have any pivoting moves outside of hypnosis getting enough sleep turns? Furthermore, if I were to, say, be running cetitan alongside alolatales, would the latter need to use an icy rock to support the former's slush rush ability, or is cetitan's access to a (ideally +6) ice shard enough to have alolatales stick to light clay? And actually/lastly, would the change to icy rock be more justified if running multiple mons to take advantage of the snow weather (ie weather ball mons, etc)?

Playing Veil and playing snow are, while facilitated by the same mons (read: :ninetales-alola: in OU and :abomasnow: in lower tiers), not inherently the same in terms of what you want your snow/veil setters to do. You are on the right track -- if you are playing multiple mons that will benefit directly from the snow bonus then you should consider Icy Rock over Light Clay, but if you are playing to take advantage of Veil to set up, then having more turns of Veil is often better. In OU most teams are more concerned about the Veil, but if you are running other ice types then your priorities may vary.

Regarding what to lead with, often you should feel ok with leading :ninetales-alola: and hitting Veil on T1, but like with any team you should still consider when it's best to lead with something else in the face of a potential hard counter, fast OHKO threat, or another lead that can severely restrict your gameplan (ie. Web setters). Switching in is also similarly situational -- Aurora Veil is a great defensive buff but not a "free pass" so to speak -- you still have to determine whether you can afford to hard switch in your setup sweeper or if you need to take the time to try to Hypnosis, switch to a better type matchup, etc.

Thought I could ask this here instead of reviving an old RMT post. Wanting to incorporate Samurrott-Hisui (Lead) into this team:
https://pokepast.es/156c33827f6c584c

Who could he replace?

P.S.- What is the most common Tera being used for him? Looks like you can't go wrong with a few options. And I don't see any BSS ev setupts for him as well.

awyp

RMT Leader
Thought I could ask this here instead of reviving an old RMT post. Wanting to incorporate Samurrott-Hisui (Lead) into this team:
https://pokepast.es/156c33827f6c584c

Who could he replace?

P.S.- What is the most common Tera being used for him? Looks like you can't go wrong with a few options. And I don't see any BSS ev setupts for him as well.
Best replacement would be Ting Lu > Samurrott-H

I personally like this set that VicBossMG has popularized, provides a perfect amount of bulk to take on 3 Make It Rain and tank a Volt Switch from Zapdos

Samurott-Hisui (M) @ Mystic Water
Ability: Sharpness
Shiny: Yes
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe
Adamant Nature
Ceaseless Edge
Swords Dance
Aqua Cutter
Aqua Jet

Best replacement would be Ting Lu > Samurrott-H

I personally like this set that VicBossMG has popularized, provides a perfect amount of bulk to take on 3 Make It Rain and tank a Volt Switch from Zapdos

Samurott-Hisui (M) @ Mystic Water
Ability: Sharpness
Shiny: Yes
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe
Adamant Nature
Ceaseless Edge
Swords Dance
Aqua Cutter
Aqua Jet
What's up, awyp! That's an awesome suggestion. Looking forward to giving this a try

Last edited:

658Greninja

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
I’m around the 1600s-1700s where people start using tryhard/conventional shit, and I am somehow seeing the wackiest shit on ladder rn.

I’ve ran into

Sap Sipper BD Tera Ground Azu
Tera Ground Articuno
Fly Dnite
Life Orb Tera Flying Tera Blast Dnite
Lefties Dragon Rush Dnite

I’m gonna assume this gen has gotten so stale people are just splashing random lol xd shit onto teams. Right?

I’m around the 1600s-1700s where people start using tryhard/conventional shit, and I am somehow seeing the wackiest shit on ladder rn.

I’ve ran into

Sap Sipper BD Tera Ground Azu
Tera Ground Articuno
Fly Dnite
Life Orb Tera Flying Tera Blast Dnite
Lefties Dragon Rush Dnite

I’m gonna assume this gen has gotten so stale people are just splashing random lol xd shit onto teams. Right?
A lot of People run weird stuff on the higher end of the ladder because it catches common counterplay off Guard. Sap Sipper BD azumarill is a bit weird, but it makes sense when you consider that it can check Ogerpon-W and Rillaboom. Tera Ground Articuno has perfect coverage between Tera Blast and Freeze dry, the latter of which OU has very few resistances too. As for Dragonite, it has a lot of set variety imo, even beyond the standard Tera Normal ESpeed set. Tera electric + defensive variants are other types of DNites that I've seen other, better players use. In general, surprise factor works quite well on dragonite because it appears to be a telegraphed pokemon with Tera Normal Espeed, when that is far from the case.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)