SM UU Sleepytime (Peaked #29 on Suspect Ladder)

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
Sleepytime Boys.png

Heya Smogon crew, it is I Cheryl with my first RMT in like a year! Honestly after Sun and Moon came out I sort of got burnt out on competitive mons for a while, but over the last few months I've been getting back into the various metas, mainly NU and RU. However, as you already know, this is a UU team, because I really wanted to get back into UU after a good stint in ORAS. Now, I have some very mixed feelings about SM UnderUsed as a whole, but overall I think it's at least pretty fun and playable, even if it has some big problems under the surface.

So, after that nice ramble, I guess its time to talk about the team at hand. Well, I like building around mons that aren't used very much but still can be used to decent levels, and I thought Snorlax would be a good mon to build around, having an unique niche in sponging special hits from the tier's most dangerous special attackers while also doubling as a set-up sweeper with Curse. And yeah, that's how this team was born! Overall it's achieved pretty decent ratings on the ladder, matching up really well against the prominent offensive teams that sprawl the ladder, and it's gotten a pretty good peak on the recent suspect ladder as well. (I know 29 isn't Top 10 or anything but for me it's good xD) So, after a while of playing with the team, I thought I'd finally share it with you all to see your thoughts on it, and how to improve it, because it does have some notable flaws, but it's still a pretty good team all in all. So here it is, this is Sleepytime!

-------------------------------------​
snorlax.gif

Twinkie (Snorlax) @

Ability: Gluttony
EVs: 188 HP / 176 Def / 144 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Recycle
- Body Slam
- Fire Punch

The main man of the team, Snorlax. Snorlax has always been known as an extremely specially bulky Pokémon, and this gen it was blessed with semi-reliable recovery in the form of 50% healing berries. Snorlax can abuse it's ability Gluttony to activate these berries if it's lower than half health and heal half of his HP back, while using Recycle to get back the berries to have a way of healing itself consistently. This helps Snorlax immensely in both of its roles on the team, as a special sponge and as a late-game win condition. Snorlax can switch into a majority of the special attackers in UU, mainly threats such as Specs Primarina, the Nidos, and CM Latias, and sponge their hits while also healing off their damage with the Figy Berry, or setting up on them with Curse. The attacking options I chose for this team are Body Slam and Fire Punch. Body Slam functions as the reliable STAB move, which also has a nasty chance of paralyzing and crippling the opponent. Now, Snorlax does attract quite a lot of status, mainly Scald burns, so Facade may be used instead to abuse the status, at the drawback of no paralysis and a weaker damage output without status. Fire Punch is mainly coverage for the omnipresent Scizor, allowing Lax to beat most variants 1v1, or at least deal massive damage to it, while also chipping at bulky Steels like Mega Aggron. Lax is a fairly simple mon to use: switch into special attacks, Recycle to get your Berry back if you've eaten it, Curse up to threaten an opponent with a sweep, or Body Slam to spread para's. It's also really understated how threatening this mon is to current offense teams, at least the ones I've seen on the ladder. Unless they have a strong Fighting-type Snorlax can usually switch into the common special attacker (usually something like Lati or Primarina) and take advantage of them, and even some physical attacking mons, like Mega Sharpedo, can be beaten 1v1 by a healthy Lax, as while Crunch does about 50 to unboosted Lax, Lax can just Curse up while the Figy Berry heals him back to a good amount of HP. It's just really effective against these types of teams due to how the Figy Berry works, and you can usually snag some easy wins if you play right with Lax.

Yung Jet (Latias) @

Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Surf

Well, it's Latias! It's pretty evident to most UU players what Latias does, and it does a damn good job at it, even on this team! Latias was added originally as a soft check to Fighting-types for Lax, while also checking Fire-types like Infernape and Water-types, and also providing a secondary sweeper and wallbreaker. The choice of Z-crystal is always a thing to consider when using Latias, as it can be tailored to your team. For this team, I decided that Waterium Z with Surf would be the best way to use Latias, as it acts as a neat lure to Mega Steelix, who otherwise walls Snorlax with impunity, and also dealing good damage to Mega Aggron, which can pave the way for a Snorlax sweep late-game. It also OHKOes Gliscors who decide to stay in, and is just a nice way to nuke Steel-types and Ground-types who decide to stay in on Latias. Otherwise the set is pretty standard CM Latias, dual STABs to hit stuff hard and CM to set up. While sometimes I do wish I could fit Roost on Lati, overall Latias will always put in some type of work during a game and it's well-appreciated on the team.

Snip (Scizor) @

Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 124 Def / 136 SpD
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Roost

Scizor was added to the team as a check to many things: Fairy-types, Mega Aerodactyl, Weavile, Mamoswine, etc. while also providing hazard removal via Defog and pivoting around with U-turn. Scizor's purpose is pretty simple yet important, as hazard stacking can cause the team a lot of trouble, especially the frailer members like Weavile, and having a slow U-turn to bring these members in is quite nice. Scizor also has a nice matchup against popular Aurora Veil teams, being able to threaten A-Ninetales out with Bullet Punch, and can also Defog away the Veil if Ninetales sets it up, which is really sweet. Scizor just does a ton of cool things for the team and is pretty reliable at it's job, so it's definitely cemented itself as one of the best members on the team imo.

Team Player (Gliscor) @

Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 76 SpD / 188 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Taunt

Now while Scizor may be very reliable and important to the team, I can't lie and say that my man Gliscor isn't the actual team player here. Gliscor does so many roles for this team, being the Stealth Rock user which is always important, and checking an array of dangerous mons, like Cobalion and Scarf Infernape, and being a great disruptor to slower mons with Taunt. I used to run U-turn in the last slot for momentum, and while it was very useful, I found that the utility of Taunt was way too useful for this team to forgo, but if you find U-turn more useful you can always put it back on. But yeah, like Scizor, Gliscor's purpose for the team is simple, but invaluable nonetheless.

Rat (Weavile) @

Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Ice Shard

When building the team, I noticed that it had a somewhat big weakness to Ghost-types and opposing Gliscor, and having another check to Latias and other Psychic-types is always nice, so Weavile was a natural fit on the team. It Pursuit traps Ghosts for Lax and Infernape and threatens Ground- and Dragon-types with Icicle Crash and Ice Shard. Ice Shard is also particularly useful to pick off threatening sweepers like Hawlucha. While Weavile is quite hard to bring in, it can usually find an easy way in with the U-turn users on this team. Weavile's Speed stat is also really nice for the team, giving it some speed control against threats in the 110-120 Speed tiers. Weavile's frailty can be a disadvantage at times, but for this team it's not too much of an issue with the defensive backbone I already have, and it makes it worth it to have this guy on the squad.

Ooka Ooka (Infernape) @

Ability: Blaze
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

For the last member on the team, I knew I needed a Choice Scarf user, as while the team had some speed control in Weavile, it could still struggle against other Scarfers and boosted sweepers like Haxorus. Scarf Infernape seemed like the best fit for the team, and its been a staple ever since, outspeeding other Scarfers like Hydreigon and Chandelure and just being a reliable revenge killer to a lot of scary threats, while also providing useful U-turn pivoting. The set is fairly standard for Scarf Nape, with Stone Edge in the last slot to snipe Fire-types, mainly Chandy and Talonflame who've had their Gale Wings deactivated. Nape also benefits a lot from Weavile Pursuit trapping threats to it such as Latias (U-turning Latias into Weavile is pretty much guaranteed a dead Lati, which is always great unless it's Scarf Latias) and benefits from Snorlax checking most special attacking threats to Nape, mainly Primarina and Latias.

-------------------------------------

Possible Changes to the Team that you can Make:

Fire Punch --> Earthquake: This change alleviates a lot of the issues this team faces with Chandelure, allowing Lax to reliably beat it instead of getting walled by it, and nets slightly bigger damage on bulky Steels not named Scizor. However, this makes the team's matchup against Scizor a bit harder than it already is, so there's both upsides and downsides to this.

Pursuit --> Low Kick: While Pursuit trapping is part of Weavile's role on the team, the team still deals well enough with most Latias to forgo Pursuit for Low Kick, which helps the team out a lot against Cobalion and can chip down fat Mega Steels for Lax and the others. Also hits Crawdaunt for a ton of damage which is actually amazing given this team's poor matchup against it. Pursuit still has a lot of utility though, so it's an optional change.

-->
: I haven't actually played around with this change much, but I can definitely see how having Slowbro over Latias can benefit the team. It gives the team a hard switch-in to strong physical Fire-types (stuff like CB Nape and Entei) and a really good check to most Fighting-types, and Bro is still a fairly good wincon with CM. However, you lose the speed and wallbreaking power of Latias, making the team a bit more passive in exchange for more insurance against physical threats.

Threatlist:

Talonflame: Arguably the hugest threat to the team just by Team Preview. It's dual STABs basically cream through the team with an SD boost, and it's trolly speed tier allows it to outspeed Weavile even after the Gale Wings deactivate. Talon is also able to get a free SD on Sciz and Gliscor, which is really fucking scary. My gameplan against Talon is to deactivate Gale Wings, usually with U-turn from Scizor as it sets up SD, and then surprise kill it with Stone Edge from Nape as Nape outspeeds after Gale Wings is gone. But yeah, Talon is still a huge threat to the team that can easily just sweep if you don't play around it correctly. (Also thank god this thing is uncommon LOL)

Crawdaunt aka Death: This thing has no switch-ins, at all. Like actually this thing is way too fucking strong, 2HKOing or OHKOing every member of the team just with Crabhammer. Gameplan against this is to go on the offensive, try and take it down with Body Slams from Lax, U-turn from Sciz, or threaten it out with Draco from Latias. It's still likely to get at least one or two kills however, especially when played right.

FAT STUFF: This team definitely doesn't have a great matchup against fatter teams, with physically defensive mons such as Mola taking advantage of me running 5 physical attackers on a team. (I didn't notice this until I finished building LOL) AloBliss is particularly hard to break, with Latias being threatened by Blissey and everything else besides Gliscor being walled to hell. If you run Façade on Lax the matchup becomes a bit easier but it's still really risky to get Toxic'd with Lax so can't really do anything about that. Other fat shit that the team can struggle to break is Mandibuzz, (Weavile beats it but hazard damage + LO + potential Foul Play on the switch-in does like 70 :c) Quagsire, etc. Basically what I'm saying is JUST FUCKING CLICK X AGAINST STALL ITLL TAKE FOREVER OTHERWISE (Plus the saying goes "you could just get 5 offense matches instead of playing against that wack shit)

Alolan Muk: Not really a super big threat to the team but definitely an annoying mon to face. Basically makes Latias a liability and is just a bitch with Knock Off, however Gliscor and Scizor reliably check it so its mainly just a Latias deterrent.

Strong Physical Fire-types: This team can deal with Scarf Infernape fairly well, Gliscor only gets 3HKOed by Blitz and Latias can check Nape too. But if it's CB, good fucking luck LOL, that basically is the same for every other CB Fire-type in the tier. Entei is a tough one to deal with, as Gliscor risks getting burned if Toxic Orb isn't activated, and it can pick off the frailer team members with ESpeed. Darmanitan can bust through the team even with Scarf because Sheer Force Flare Blitz is busted af. Gameplan against these is to just try and kill them as fast as you can, SR helps!

Chandelure: Pretty simple, walls non-EQ Lax to no end, everything else cant switch into it well. Both Specs and Scarf sets are annoying on their own merits, although I probably find Scarf the more annoying one since it outspeeds Gliscor and Weavile.

There's a few other annoyances to the team (the SD Scizor matchup isn't great by any means, as well as SD Gliscor) but it would take too long to list them all :p

Importable:
http://pokepast.es/d2127c10e022e6d9

Replays:

And finally, the Proof of Peak:
ss+(2017-08-29+at+03.43.01).png

-------------------------------------

And so, that's basically it! I hope you enjoyed reading this, and I also hope you enjoy using the team if you do decide to use it! It's not perfect at all but it's overall pretty consistent for me, and hopefully it is for you! And as always if you have any changes to the team you'd like to suggest, just post below! Have a good day! :D

Also pokeaim actually used this team in a Road to Top 10 UU video just earlier today! Check it out!

Last edited:

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
Bump! So with the new drops shaking up UU quite a bit, the team also has gone through some changes to fit the meta accordingly! Or well, I decided to change one team member because bleh. So I've been using Mega Altaria over Latias in this new meta, as it helps patch up quite a bit of the team's weaknesses, such as the Crawdaunt weakness and the weakness to CB Fire-types. The set I've been using is Hyper Voice/Fire Blast/Roost/Heal Bell which makes for a nice powerful and bulky cleric to patch up Toxics and burns thrown at Snorlax and friends. Overall, M-Alt has been working nicely, although you can still use the Latias version if you wish. (You could even go for Mega Latias if you really wanted to, with this entirely new meta anything's possible) But yeah, just wanted to bump the thread just in case someone wants to rate and stuff, or just to help showcase the team a little more because it is p good imo.

sparrow

kacaw
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Bump! So with the new drops shaking up UU quite a bit, the team also has gone through some changes to fit the meta accordingly! Or well, I decided to change one team member because bleh. So I've been using Mega Altaria over Latias in this new meta, as it helps patch up quite a bit of the team's weaknesses, such as the Crawdaunt weakness and the weakness to CB Fire-types. The set I've been using is Hyper Voice/Fire Blast/Roost/Heal Bell which makes for a nice powerful and bulky cleric to patch up Toxics and burns thrown at Snorlax and friends. Overall, M-Alt has been working nicely, although you can still use the Latias version if you wish. (You could even go for Mega Latias if you really wanted to, with this entirely new meta anything's possible) But yeah, just wanted to bump the thread just in case someone wants to rate and stuff, or just to help showcase the team a little more because it is p good imo.
could you maybe post the portable with m-alt over lati pls, since you now have a free z move, and I can't give a proper rate with out knowing your team! Thanks

Hey mate, I really like this team I think that Snorlax is a really good wincon as it can also function well as a mid game pivot; this team has also opened my eyes and proves how great special attacking M-Altaria is. I actually decided to start playing with this team with a single change before deciding to post a rate. In the end I decided to stop after making it to 2nd spot on the suspect ladder on my crumby test alt - I didn't lose a single game! Before we go any further, I found Facade over Body Slam on Snorlax to be a tad more efficient (more PP and more damage, esp. if caught by Scald burns!).

I'll start by addressing your list of weakness' since the change to M-Altaria. Talonflame and opposing Fire types are still a pain in the bum and you're no longer weak to Muk; I honestly think that the inclusion of M-Altaria alongside the utility of Pursuit trap really improves this teams stall match up. I also think that the addition of M-Altaria on this team gives you a much better match up against Hydreigon. In the end, I had a look at your threat list and decided to test one single change. I decided to swap out Infernape for Scarf Rotom-W, overall I think this change works really well; but I am not happy with how weak this leaves your team to one particular threat - zHH Jirachi. I am not happy that this is the case, but I thought rather than leave you hanging since you ever so kindly posted your updated team for me I will outline the changes I made and we can pretend that UU has already banned Jirachi! :^]

You mentioned that Weavile was quite annoying to face, a simple solution to this is running more physical bulk on Scizor, considering the set you're currently running was relevant during the Clefable meta I see no issues here. Scizor with 224 HP / 216 Def / 68 SpD | Impish, greatly improves its physical bulk allowing it to tank hits from Weavile and M-Sharpedo quite easily. The SpD investment gives Scizor a very good chance to avoid the 2HKO from non-invested Rotom-W's Hydro Pump.

Next up, I noticed the EVs on Gliscor being a tad redundant; Gliscor really has no business staying in on the special attacks in this tier - Scald from Suicune still has a chance to 2HKO with current investment. I think that the EVs are better off placed in attack, giving Gliscor's Earthquake that little bit more power, for example: a guaranteed 2HKO on SpD Jirachi. 244 HP / 76 Atk / 188 Spe | Jolly on Gliscor reflects this change.

Onto the team change, I've decided Scarf Rotom-W over Infernape gives you a much better match up versus your threat list, for example handling of Talonflame and tricking Choice Scarf onto Blissey/other fat mons. Rotom-Wash fulfils the exact same role as Infernape but with some key differences. As I already mentioned it gives you a decent answer to fast Fire type Pokemon such as Chandelure, Talonflame and Banded Infernape! Rotom-W also enjoys the Pursuit support from Weavile, and in a way helps it to Pursuit trap opposing Pokemon easier. For instance, Rotom-W can now lure Latias, Blissey etc. with the Volt Switch to Weavile effectively trapping these Pokemon. I also found that Rotom-W is a welcome addition in terms of special attacking utility, you mentioned that your team was essentially 5 physical attackers + Latias. Rotom-W essentially does the same job as Infernape but with better typing, team synergy and the added effect of providing another special attacker to your team. Shutting down opposing bulky set up Pokemon such as Snorlax & Suicune with Trick also helps.

Overall I think that the change helps this team a lot, but at the same time it makes you weak to one particular Pokemon in general - z Happy Hour Jirachi. I honestly don't have a clue on how to patch up this weakness without keeping Infernape, but I can't address your threat list sufficiently unless I make some fairly major changes to your team. Your only way to have a decent chance versus Jirachi is to ensure it doesn't set up for free. Snorlax has a good chance to beat it 1v1 (unless your opp is incredibly lucky), Scizor gives Jirachi the free set-up (dealing less than 20% with U-turn to +1 def Jirachi), Gliscor has a decent chance to beat it 1v1, Rotom-Wash can deal decent damage to Jirachi if it tries to set up in Rotom-W's face (Thunderbolt can 2HKO, hitting for 60% min. before the boost and 40% min after the boost on Naive mixed Jirachi), Weavile doesn't let Jirachi set up and, M-Altaria's best bet is to hit Rotom-W with Fire Blast on the set up (dealing 50% min. to Naive nature mixed Jirachi after the +1 boost). As you can see Jirachi does have a way to beat you if given the free opportunity to set up, this is further enhanced by the fact that it can hit you with a 60% chance to not let you move.

I feel like I've failed in giving you a good rate because I've left you so susceptible to the biggest threat in the tier. Let me know if you have any questions/anything requires further clarification. In the end, I did manage to get this team to second spot on the suspect ladder (I was lucky and didn't face a good zHH Jirachi). I can only hope that you can emulate my success #banrachi

Good luck out there.
~Sparrow
Snorlax @ Figy Berry
Ability: Gluttony
EVs: 188 HP / 176 Def / 144 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Recycle
- Facade
- Fire Punch

Scizor @ Leftovers
Ability: Technician
EVs: 224 HP / 216 Def / 68 SpD
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Roost

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 76 Atk / 188 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Taunt

Weavile @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Ice Shard

Rotom-Wash @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Trick

Altaria-Mega @ Altarianite
Ability: Pixilate
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Fire Blast
- Roost
- Heal Bell
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uususpecttest-632271604 - Rotom gives Choice Scarf to Mantine, resulting in it being unable to Toxic Snorlax.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uususpecttest-632273801 - Caught off guard by core shredder Tentacruel, once Blissey gained the Choice Scarf victory was ensured.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uususpecttest-632278524 - versus z-HH Jirachi, fortunately it was the bad set (notice the extra bulk on Scizor came into play).
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uususpecttest-632286213 - almost choked by sacking M-Alt early on, fortunately Scarf Rotom-W applied the pressure and laid the foundation for Snorlax win (para didn't matter).
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uususpecttest-632289133 - Scarf Rotom-W wins upon removal of Latias.
ps. I've been told that Iapapa Berry is better, don't let the haters tell you how to live your life #figy4lyfe

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)