Slow Demise - A Trick Room RMT

Hey guys,

So, I've been battling a bit on DW OU and have been quite succesful with this team, though I feel that some things could be improved, but as I am new to Gen V I am not if I am capable of coming up with new ideas for this team on my own.

Without further ado, here is the team at glance;

In Depth -

Reuniclus (M) @ Leftovers Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 28 Def / 228 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Trick Room
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Focus Blast

Many people complain about this thing being broken, and I understand them. Unless the opponents lead has Taunt, this guy is almost granted to get up TR and atleast one Calm Mind, often more. With a TR he outspeeds A LOT of thing, and after a Calm Mind his Special Attack stat reaches 429, which is enough to OHKO.. well, a lot of things. If I can manage to get up two Calm Minds there is literally nothing that can withstand the sheer awesomeness of this Pokémon.

However, as with all great things, it has it's downfalls. This time it is physical priorityattacks, especially unpredicted Sucker Punches. Any lead packing Taunt can also put a serious dent in my plans by not allowing me to use either TR or Calm Mind, which pretty much renders this thing useless until the Taunt wears of, unless the opponent is weak to either Psychic or Focus Blast.

While we are at the subject, Psychic is there for the obvious stab and to take down annoying Conkeldurrs and the other fighting types menacing the metagame. Also comes in handy against poisontypes and it is the mainattack on this set. Focus Blast is only used if my opponent resists or is immune to Psychic. It is mainly used to take out steels and Dark Pokémon, though it's shabby accuracy is a bit of letdown.

Ursaring (M) @ Flame Orb
Trait: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spd)
- Swords Dance
- Facade
- Earthquake
- Close Combat

Ursaring is a bear. Bears have a reputation of being big, strong and scary. Does Ursaring live up to this reputation? Yes. After a single Swords Dance, A Guts boost and an ability to scream "LEEROY JENKINS" louder than most, this thing is able to tear up the opponents team, or as we like to say in Sweden, "göra kaos med han".

I was considering running a set with four attacks, as Trick Room does not last forever and as such the turn where I use Swords Dance could be considered a wasted turn, especially as Ursaring tends to die earlier than I want him to (it's not like that's the case with all Pokémon.. oh wait). Well, this is especially true for Ursaring, as he is carrying Flame Orb that damage will add up. The fact that he has to take atleast one (usually two) attacks everytime I switch him in (as I am not interested in suiciding any of my Trick Roomers) doesn't help either.

I have also been considering using Toxic Orb over Flame Orb, as Ursaring doesn't really stay in that many turns so sometimes the damage will be less than if I had been using Flame Orb.

Facade is STAB and powered up by the Flame Orb it has an incredible base power of 140. Lets say like this, being slapped in the face by an attack stat of 788 (after a Swords Dance) further boosted by Guts and a STAB attack with 140 Base power with no major drawbacks hurts. A lot. Like, seriously. You'll die. Unless you resist it and even then your Pokémon might die if it isn't particularly bulky. I can't imagine being hit by a Close Combat is particularly nice either, though the reason it is there is to take care of the steels and rocktypes who resist Facade. Now, Ghosts would completely wall this set if it wasn't for Crunch, and well, that is the reason why Crunch is there.

Conkeldurr (M) @ Flame Orb
Trait: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spd)
- Mach Punch
- Superpower
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

A famous quote is, "Don't attack what you can't kill" and this is in many cases true for anyone approaching Conkeldurr. While it does not have Swords Dance to boost it's attack, it has a priority attack in the name of Mach Punch. It has STAB and fighting is one of the best offensive types in the game. If I see an Excadrill in Sandstorm, I will send this in on the Swords Dance, and after the Guts boost this thing will OHKO Excadrill 100% of the time with Mach Punch. This is the best Exadrill counter in existance.

I feel that I have to cut down on my descriptions or noone will actually read this RMT, so I guess I will get straight to the other moves.

Superpower is a very good fighting attack with STAB which will KO a large chunk of the metagame. Earthquake and Stone Edge are for coverage and I don't think there is a single Pokémon in existance that resists the combination of Fight, Ground and Rock.

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Trait: Trace
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 SAtk
Quiet Nature (+SAtk, -Spd)
- Trick Room
- Recover
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam

Three words: Overpowered as hell. Seriously? Can this thing die? Oh? I never knew. I have used this team a lot and so far I have never witnessed this thing getting OHKOd. It has crippled so many sweepers and it might even attempt a sweep itself with the infamous BoltBeam combination. Trick Room is there, cause well, it's a Trick Room team. It also lets him go first. Nothing can compare with the satisfication of switching into a Dragonite as he Dragondances, laugh of his attack and OHKO back with Icebeam, unless he is at full HP with Multiscale, which is just not cool. Recover is there because without it Porygon2 would be a sitting duck. Pun intended.

Magnezone @ Expert Belt
Trait: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SAtk
- Thunderbolt
- Signal Beam
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]

After Conkeldurr and Ursaring I felt that I needed a special sweeper. Being unable to figure something out, I looked at a Pokedex to find a Pokémon with high SpA and low speed and this is what I found. I call it "The Ferrothorn Slayer" because that's pretty much what it does. It switches in on the Gyro Ball/Power Whip (screw you, I resist both!) and the song Disco Inferno starts playing in the background. It also works wonders against Scizor and the odd Forretress.

Thunderbolt is for the obvious STAB and the same goes for Flash Cannon. Signal Beam is there to hit Lati@s and other psychic/grass types for supereffective damage. I am not too happy with this Pokémon, as it never really does anything. I am looking for a good replacement, but I am really dry on ideas.

Chandelure (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk
- Trick Room
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ground]

This is pretty much an experiment of mine which works well sometimes and sometimes it doesn't. The point is to switch in on anything locked into a move it resists or is immune to and set up Trick Room if it is not already up and then proceed to break havoc with it's insane special attack stat. A STAB Fire Blast coming from a Special Attack stat of 426 is not something you will enjoy unless you resist it. This also works as a Ferrothorn/Scizor/Forretress counter thanks to Shadow Tag. Shadow Ball is also there for STAB and it does supereffective damage on Ghosts and Psychics. HP Ground is there to take care of Heatran and others who would otherwise wall this set.

------

All in all, this team has served me well, but it does have its weaknesses. As I said, I am not expert in Gen V battling and therefore I am asking you people for help. All suggestions are welcome and I will consider them all.

Thanks,
Strik3

Hey Strik3, that's a really nice team.

If you're looking for a Magnezone replacement, have you considered Heatran? I know he's fire-type, like Chandelure, but he's a great TR sweeper and resists similar types to Magnezone.

Other than that, I don't think I would change anything.

I use trick room to I think it is a very underused playstyle and when played correctly can be very difficult to overcome. First of all if you are going to use calm mind reuniclus put the special defense evs into defense as calm mind boosts your spec. defense and with the added defense evs you can survives crunch from choice band tyranitar! Or you could switch out calm mind for shadow ball allowing to take on ghosts like burungeru and shandera and psychics like opposing reuniclus and the lati twins. It also prevents you from being completely walled by sableye. Also I suggest psyshock over psychic as it allows you to beat other calm minders as well as blissey and chansey. If you go for the trick room+3 attack set I suggest changing the item to life orb. I have to go but I will post more later!

omg a trick room team!!! I use trick room as well. I am finding reuniclus @ life orb w/ shadow ball instead of calm mind much better. Covers the lati twins, handles other ghost types.

CHandlure is a bit fast for trick room. Might wanna try bronzong to set up trick room, and stealth rock. Stealth rock is important as well as it wil net those 1hit kos and will stop people from stalling out trick room turns when they switch.

Love magnezone great w/ balloon thought so it can come in on an expected ground move towards.

Tips: I actually use a choice banded azumarill to handle dragons under trick room. and if somehow trick room users are ko'd it can operate w/o trick room with an amazing stab aqua jet + huge power + choice band. Don't fully rely on trick room even though it is a trick room team.

Final thought: Drain punch over super power on conkeldurr, it needs recovery.

I feel that I have to cut down on my descriptions or noone will actually read this RMT, so I guess I will get straight to the other moves.
Don't the more indepth your descriptions are, the much better rates you will get, and the better your team gets. If they aren't serious enough to read everything, they aren't dedicated enough to be on Smogon.

I could see U-turn and Trick Room working well together because Trick Room teams do so much switching, although at the moment I can't think of any pokemon that both U-turns and benefits that much from Trick Room. Scizor maybe?

I could see U-turn and Trick Room working well together because Trick Room teams do so much switching, although at the moment I can't think of any pokemon that both U-turns and benefits that much from Trick Room. Scizor maybe?
Vespiquen
Eelektross

Eelektross has the stats, movepool and ability for a sweeper, but Trick Room makes its horrible speed worthwhile.

Vespiquen is a great pokemon all around for a trick room team thanks to moves and defenses. The only thing holding it back is that 4x Stealth Rock weakness.

Thanks for your suggestions guys!

With Quiet nature and no speed EV it is quite rare that Chandelure gets outspeeded (downspeeded?) in Trick Room. The only things that will go before him are slow walls like Bronzong and co. Bronzong can't really touch him either, as he resists Gyro ball and if he explodes at me I will just laugh at him.

As for Shadow ball over Calm Mind, I will try that aswell. I can see Choice banded Azumarill work pretty well, though I'm not too sure what to take out for it.

Changing Magnezones item to a balloon is a really good idea. Thanks! I guess that Drain Punch over Superpower is a pretty good idea aswell. I completely forgot Drain Punch was boosted in Gen V.

I can certainly see Trick Room + U-turn/Volt switch being a potent combination, though I don't think using it on any of the sweepers will be all that beneficial. Now, if any of my Trick Roomers could learn it it would be another story.

Thanks again everyone!
Strik3

As a quick guide - the U-Turners who make best use of Trick Room are Uxie, Celebi, Mew, Jirachi and maybe Xatu. Having a faster TRer means a slower U-Turn in trick Room - basically your sweeper doesn't have to take the hit coming in, so their generally high speed isn't too much of a problem, or you could go -ve and 0IV if you wanted. Perhaps try one of these over your Chandelure?

This is a pretty good team, but something I see strange is you have Reuniclus in the lead spot. Anything with taunt (which is pretty common on leads) will beat it. This is why I'll suggest this set. You can add this as your lead, remove Magnezone or Chandelure, and keep Reuniclus, just out of the lead. I'm suggesting this set:

Jirachi @ Lagging Tail
Serene Grace
Relaxed Nature
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 S.Def
~ Magic Coat
~ Trick room
~ U-Turn
~ Wish / Reflect / Light Screen / Healing Wish

With this Jirachi, you are not completely helpless against Taunt, because Magic Coat bounces back taunt now. This will get you a free ticket to set up trick room as you'd like. Then, you can U-turn out. Lagging Tail comes into play here. With Lagging Tail, Jirachi will always U-turn last, even in Trick Room. This means your Reuniclus / Conkledurr in without taking a hit. The best thing is that it can come back in throughout the match and do the same thing. Wish is for some more durability, screens are for support, or you can use Healing wish if you're on your last leg.

On Reuniclus, I'd suggest removing Calm Mind for Shadow Ball, and replacing leftovers with a Life Orb, so you can hit Psychics which wall your current set. Also, consider using Shadow Claw over Swords Dance or Earthquake on Ursaring, this lets you get a hit on levitating ghosts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)