ORAS OU SlowThorn

I was going to post another kind of team before, but then Hoopa-U got banned and completely ruined my whole team.
So, without further ado, allow me to introduce my second "good" team up for review.

Okay, so now I'm going to talk about the teambuilding process.
I've always thought that the defensive core in between Slowbro and Ferrothorn was good, due to each other canceling out their weaknesses, only leaving a neutrality to ghost and dark.
That's where Tyranitar comes in, completely pounding the former with STAB and the latter with Superpower.
After this, there were two mons in my team weak to fighting, and with the prevalence of the ever-popular Mega Lopunny, Terrakion, Mega Medicham, and Mega Gallade, all of these needed to be blanket-checked with a 'mon, and what a better pick than Clefable?
However, a small vulnerability to steel had me take away T-Wave with Flamethower, which is a perfect lure for the likes of Ferrothorn and other slow steel-types who think that they can take a Moonblast and retaliate.
Due to my team being really bulky and not exactly capable of punching holes into other bulky reams, I had to add Gengar and M-Hera.
Gengar beats fast shit better while Hera hits fat shit better, so it all kind of worked out in the end.
Since my team is not exactly speedy save for T-Tar and Gengar, I had to include speed control, and T-wave on Slowbro and Icy Wind on Gengar rounds this off fairly well.
Now, the team:

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip

The standard Ferro build. I switched natures in favor of Sp. Def because it can take neutral hits like Shadow Ball better, and I have Slowbro for the defense that's lacking. He still has lots of physical bulk though, so not much is really lost.

Slowbro @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Slack Off
- Thunder Wave
- Psyshock
Also the standard Slowbro build. Helps to blanket-check all of the 'mons that give Ferrothorn a hard time, such as Zard X, specially defensive Heatran, and most physical attackers that overwhelm Ferro. He's also a good pivot, being able to generate several double switches, paralyzing threats, and recovering health by switching out with regenerator.

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Superpower
- Crunch/Ice Punch
T-Tar, as stated before, was added to remove the dark and ghost types present in the meta bar M-Sab. His high speed with the scarf allows him to outspeed everything up to Starmie and Raikou. I'm deciding on wether to run a secondary dark STAB or running Ice Punch to smack Lando, Chomp and Dragonite on the switch.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Flamethrower
Now I modified the standard Clefable set a bit. I switched natures due to the fact that Clef has mediocre physical defense at best, so with a small boost it can actually nullify some 2HKO's. Moonblast for STAB, and Soft-Boiled for recovery. Flamethower's there instead of T-wave due to it smacking Scizor, Ferrothorn and the rare Forretress on the switch.

Gengar @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
- Icy Wind
My first wallbreaker. Gengar has ridiculous coverage and can 2HKO a lot of the meta, so it's a pretty good mon to run on almost any kind of team. He is very easy to bring in too, due to having 3 immunities by virtue of his typing and Levitate. The first 3 moves allow him to have virtually flawless coverage, while Icy Wind achieves the OHKO on almost all variants of Garchomp, any Lando and any Dragonite with rocks up. It also nullifies the effects of Scarf users who think that they can outspeed Gengar when they get smacked on the switch.

Heracross-Mega @ Heracronite
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 240 HP / 136 Atk / 132 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Pin Missile
- Rock Blast
- Substitute
Heracross is my second wallbreaker, it smacks any mon on the physical side. His basic moveset is implemented, as it compliments the playstyle that I'm running by achieving OHKO's on many mons that tend to try and switch in to take him out. Substitute's used instead of Bullet Seed in order to nullify status.

THREATLIST:
-Zard Y, once T-Tar is removed, can completely wreck the team. It has to be wary of Gengar, though, but Gengar is pretty squishy himself.
-Mega Venu
Completely walls my team, as Slowbro can only achieve a 3HKO with the recovery of Giga Drain included (and that's if he isn't KO'd by Giga Drain).

Due to this team being pretty new, I haven't encountered many other threats, but I think things like Scizor can be problematic.

Any kind of help is greatly appreciated!

Hello, that is a pretty nice heracross-mega team you have here. I notice some threats to your team. First off i can see serperior giving you a hard time as it can leaf storm up on tyranitar/slowbro and proceed to sweep your team. I also notice scizor-mega being a bit hard to deal with as it can set up on tyranitar/gengar/slowbro/ferrothorn and proceed to weaken your team. Also things like gardevoir-mega and alakzam-mega trouble this team a bit as they abuse heracross and fire off a strong hit resulting in a kill as they carry focus blast to hit your steel types. I have a few ideas in mind on how to improve the team while keeping the main goal of being a bulky offense team.

You said you added clefable to check fighting types. Things like lopunny-mega/terrakion/mega-medicam. But you already had a slowbro so the role of checking fighting type is already done. As i mentioned before grass types like serperior and steel types like scizor-mega are hard for you to switch into. This is why I suggest you use heatran over clefable. Heatran can check both serperior and scizor-mega and can absorb status like toxic/wil-o-wisp just like clefable did. You also have the option to run rocks on heatran allowing you to run spikes on ferrothron to help you wear down the opposing team more with more hazards.

Another suggestion i have is too run Chople Berry over Leftovers on ferrothorn. Things like Gardevoir-mega and Alakazam-mega threaten heracross-mega to switch out. However you do not really have the best switch ins especially since they carry focus blast. But with chople berry you can eat the focus blast and then kill them off with a gyro ball which results in one less revenge killer for your heracross-mega.

Another thing I recommend is taunt over icy wind on gengar. You said gengar was a wallbreaker but without taunt gengar does not wallbreak that well because it will not be able to stop recovery moves and can also not stop status moves. But with taunt you can stop recovery moves/status moves and set up moves.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 104 HP / 152 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Taunt
- Lava Plume

Timid Heatran with max speed allows us to out speed heracross-mega and scizor-mega which means you can hit then with a lava plume before they hit you with a fighting move. I chose stealth rocks on heatran to allow ferrothorn to run spikes and toxic was chosen to wear down the opposing team. Taunt was chosen to stop set up mons like clefable and also stop recovery/status moves.

Ferrothorn @ Chople Berry
Sassy Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip

Spikes over stealth rocks cause i gave stealth rocks to heatran so now you can run even more hazards to get some better guaranteed kills and just to wear down the opposing team more.

Slowbro @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Slack Off
- Thunder Wave
- Psyshock

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Superpower
- Crunch

Gengar @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
- Taunt

Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Pin Missile
- Rock Blast
- Substitute

Hey asparandix, just as ez mentioned your team is very weak to Serperior and M-Scizor, but it's also weak to Belly Drum Azumarill. It can set up on your Tyranitar if it goes for literally anything but Stone Edge, and from there it can OHKO every member on your team. My rate will still fix your weakness to Serperior and M-Scizor, but also Belly Drum Azumarill while also trying to help improve your team's offensive synergy a bit.

There's two changes I'd like to make to help against Belly Drum Azumarill. The first would be to run Tail Glow + 3 Attack Manaphy > Mega Heracross. This still leaves you with a solid wallbreaker, plus with Tyranitar trapping the Latis, and Clefable being able to get rid of Ferrothorn with Flamethrower, it has a very easy time at breaking through bulkier builds. Next, you should run Slowbronite > Leftovers on Slowbro and Calm Mind > Thunder Wave. M-Slowbro forms a solid Calm Mind core with Clefable, as it can setup on Heatran and Talonflame, and break through opposing Calm Mind Clefable very reliably, as well as Calm Mind Suicune. Manaphy takes a +6 Aqua Jet from Azumarill pretty handily and can retaliate with an Energy Ball, and M-Slowbro has a shot at taking any +6 hit from Azumarill if it's at full.

My last suggestion is the same as ez's in running Heatran, but I think you should run Heatran > Gengar rather than Clefable. By running Magma Storm it can trap Chansey for Manaphy and Clefable who struggle in breaking it. Heatran also can check SpDef Talonflame in place of Slowbro to prevent it from being burned to make up for the lack of Leftovers recovery, plus by running max speed it can help deal with M-Heracross which can be annoying for this team to play around.

Slowbro @ Slowbronite
EVs: 248 HP / 164 Def / 76 SpD / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Calm Mind
- Slack Off

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers / Chople Berry
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Toxic

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Superpower
- Crunch

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Energy Ball
- Ice Beam
- Scald

Clefable @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Flamethrower
- Soft-Boiled

Hope i was able to help!

Thanks guys, I really like the idea of running heatran because serperior was actually just wrecking me every time unless I somehow paralyzed it. The only thing is that I prefer running Icy Wind because I can OHKO Lando, Chomp, All Gliscor and Dragonite before they can earthquake something on my team. Anyways, thanks for all the help!

I was going to post another kind of team before, but then Hoopa-U got banned and completely ruined my whole team.
So, without further ado, allow me to introduce my second "good" team up for review.

Okay, so now I'm going to talk about the teambuilding process.
I've always thought that the defensive core in between Slowbro and Ferrothorn was good, due to each other canceling out their weaknesses, only leaving a neutrality to ghost and dark.
That's where Tyranitar comes in, completely pounding the former with STAB and the latter with Superpower.
After this, there were two mons in my team weak to fighting, and with the prevalence of the ever-popular Mega Lopunny, Terrakion, Mega Medicham, and Mega Gallade, all of these needed to be blanket-checked with a 'mon, and what a better pick than Clefable?
However, a small vulnerability to steel had me take away T-Wave with Flamethower, which is a perfect lure for the likes of Ferrothorn and other slow steel-types who think that they can take a Moonblast and retaliate.
Due to my team being really bulky and not exactly capable of punching holes into other bulky reams, I had to add Gengar and M-Hera.
Gengar beats fast shit better while Hera hits fat shit better, so it all kind of worked out in the end.
Since my team is not exactly speedy save for T-Tar and Gengar, I had to include speed control, and T-wave on Slowbro and Icy Wind on Gengar rounds this off fairly well.
Now, the team:

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip

The standard Ferro build. I switched natures in favor of Sp. Def because it can take neutral hits like Shadow Ball better, and I have Slowbro for the defense that's lacking. He still has lots of physical bulk though, so not much is really lost.

Slowbro @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Slack Off
- Thunder Wave
- Psyshock
Also the standard Slowbro build. Helps to blanket-check all of the 'mons that give Ferrothorn a hard time, such as Zard X, specially defensive Heatran, and most physical attackers that overwhelm Ferro. He's also a good pivot, being able to generate several double switches, paralyzing threats, and recovering health by switching out with regenerator.

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Superpower
- Crunch/Ice Punch
T-Tar, as stated before, was added to remove the dark and ghost types present in the meta bar M-Sab. His high speed with the scarf allows him to outspeed everything up to Starmie and Raikou. I'm deciding on wether to run a secondary dark STAB or running Ice Punch to smack Lando, Chomp and Dragonite on the switch.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Flamethrower
Now I modified the standard Clefable set a bit. I switched natures due to the fact that Clef has mediocre physical defense at best, so with a small boost it can actually nullify some 2HKO's. Moonblast for STAB, and Soft-Boiled for recovery. Flamethower's there instead of T-wave due to it smacking Scizor, Ferrothorn and the rare Forretress on the switch.

Gengar @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
- Icy Wind
My first wallbreaker. Gengar has ridiculous coverage and can 2HKO a lot of the meta, so it's a pretty good mon to run on almost any kind of team. He is very easy to bring in too, due to having 3 immunities by virtue of his typing and Levitate. The first 3 moves allow him to have virtually flawless coverage, while Icy Wind achieves the OHKO on almost all variants of Garchomp, any Lando and any Dragonite with rocks up. It also nullifies the effects of Scarf users who think that they can outspeed Gengar when they get smacked on the switch.

Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Pin Missile
- Rock Blast
- Substitute
Heracross is my second wallbreaker, it smacks any mon on the physical side. His basic moveset is implemented, as it compliments the playstyle that I'm running by achieving OHKO's on many mons that tend to try and switch in to take him out. Substitute's used instead of Bullet Seed in order to nullify status.

THREATLIST:
-Zard Y, once T-Tar is removed, can completely wreck the team. It has to be wary of Gengar, though, but Gengar is pretty squishy himself.
-Mega Venu
Completely walls my team, as Slowbro can only achieve a 3HKO with the recovery of Giga Drain included (and that's if he isn't KO'd by Giga Drain).

Due to this team being pretty new, I haven't encountered many other threats, but I think things like Scizor can be problematic.

Any kind of help is greatly appreciated!
Belly drum azumarill is a FUCKING huge ass threat to this team. If mega venusaur and azumarill are threats I might recommend throwing on a mega metagross or a lati twin to revenge mill BD azu and be able to switch into mega venusaur as well as volcanion. You could also maybe add volcanion for venusaur check as well as a decent azumarill switch in too and a mega scizor switch in (which your team really lacks)

Indigo Plateau

is a Community Leaderis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
UU Leader
Thanks guys, I really like the idea of running heatran because serperior was actually just wrecking me every time unless I somehow paralyzed it. The only thing is that I prefer running Icy Wind because I can OHKO Lando, Chomp, All Gliscor and Dragonite before they can earthquake something on my team. Anyways, thanks for all the help!
I think celes did a p good job at recommending changes, and I'm definitely gonna second Taunt > Icy Wind. Don't see why you're so worried about those mons as they're 2ohkoed by Shadow Ball on the switch or handled by things like Ferro, Bro, or Clef regardless.

I think celes did a p good job at recommending changes, and I'm definitely gonna second Taunt > Icy Wind. Don't see why you're so worried about those mons as they're 2ohkoed by Shadow Ball on the switch or handled by things like Ferro, Bro, or Clef regardless.
Dunno, just like luring them in and plain removing them for the rest of the match.
Things like scarf chomp and scarf lando switch in on it a lot

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)