Pokémon Slurpuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
with how bulky this gen is can we get more than one leftovers how does one plan to run so many tanks and or a cleric as well with one leftovers.

At first I LOL'ed at Belly Drum (Serebii is saying it too) then I noticed it gets Unburden as the HA.
Though it would still be pretty funny to sweep someone with cotton candy.
I find the idea of this thing pulling of a BD sweep more amusing than I should. lol
Serebii is saying Yawn is an egg move too which could apply a little pressure to a switch-in.
If its opponent switches it may Belly Drum; if it stays in it dozes (and Slurpuff might have switched).

Physical movepool is extremely lacking though. Play Rough and Return is it.
Not sure how much +6 PR would do against targets which resist it.
It has Flamethrower as its primary means to hit Steels SE but its SpA is modest.
Maybe it could try Petaya instead of Sitrus and go with Play Rough, Return and Flamethrower.
Or find a way to eliminate or incapcitate Steels before trying to sweep (Trapper? Yawn?)
Anyway, this is a Pokemon to test out when lower tiers of play are available.
Absolutely no reason to use over Azumarill except for entertainment value.

Use Clefable as Unburden Pokemon. She's incredible with Unburden. Showing middle finger to technically every single special (or physical, Max HP/Max Def Build in OU also works as long as you avoid steel and poison attacks) booster in tier is something to not laugh at. I use her in UBERS for this and I'm shocked how effective she is with Unburden. I would be reaaaaally shocked if she didn't end up in OU. Unburden is that good and unlike Quagsire she has great resistances to have in this meta (and better support option with Heal Bell and Wish being best ones). Once you use it - you fall in love with it.

Anyway I really hope her ability works on her as well. Although I don't see other uses for her except ChestoRest Calm Mind + Unburden use. Calm Mind as much as you can, ChestoRest and wake up with doubled speed. If she only had at least 20 SpA more she would be fine as physically bulky Wish passer, slightly bulkier than Sylveon, but this lack of offense hurts. Oh well.
What does Quagsire have to do with anything? Quagsire is Unaware, not Unburden. =/ Are you sure you aren't thinking of Unaware when you say Unburden?

I'm not a huge fan of this poke. 37.5 BP Recovery unboosted isn't going to do much to heal, and a lot of pokes in this meta can definitely 2 shot the puff at worst. In addition, the SubPetaya set has a glaring weakness in that getting down to the 25% or under range would be really tough. The reason SubPetaya Empoleon works so well is that he can set up an Agility on a switch and have guaranteed subs down to Petaya range. Since Slurpuff isn't getting the speed buff until it gets to 25% range, set up sweepers can play mind games with Slurpuff to easily get strong or knock/force out a subless Slurpuff.

One thing I'd like to know is if Slurpuff can get Nasty Plot from breeding. If so, I would really like this set on the Puff.

Slurpuff @ Focus Sash
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 252 SpA/252 Spe (Other 4 EVs of preference.)
0 Def/SpD IVs
Hasty or Mild Nature
-Nasty Plot
-Dazzling Gleam
-Surf/Flamethrower
-Thunderbolt/Draining Kiss/Wish

This set is simple. Come in, get hit hard, activate and consume Sash, Sweep at +2/+2. Nasty Plot for the boost, Dazzling Gleam is the STAB of choice, Surf/Flamethrower give the aforementioned coverage. The fourth move is up to you. Thunderbolt rounds out the coverage, Draining Kiss offers healing to survive Priority-based RK, or Wish can be used in situations where you know you can't one shot your opponent and he's about to one shot you to suicide pass a wish on, or when an Aegislash comes in and uses King's Shield or some crap like that. Minimize Defenses to ensure the Sash gets consumed, with the -Defense Nature since Slurpuff's Base Def is higher. Hasty allows Slurpuff to outspeed Scarf Base 112s compared to Mild's Base 97 limit, while Mild gives a slight power boost.

The main issue with this set is that it is wrecked by both priority and hazards. The best way to play this is to try to eliminate your opponent's priority users, then Rapid Spin away any hazards before bringing in Slurpuff. Mega-Blastoise is a great teammate for this set, being an offensive rapid spinner and resisting the Scizor Bullet Punch, the set's biggest enemy. Other Rapid Spinners such as Forretress would work as well, or offensive Magic Bouncers such as Espeon and Mega-Absol could fill this slot.

If someone who knows what can/can't be done by breeding can confirm Nasty Plot on Slurpuff (I think from Raichu), that'd be great.

I may not be up to speed, but wouldn't a Bold/Calm nature be better for the:
Cleric Wall/Staller?
Also with at Base HP stat of 82 the wishes it passes cant be that good, can they?
That said great post very detailed :)

Slurpuff @ Weakness Policy
EVs: ??
?? Nature
-Cotton Guard
-Wish
-Flamethrower
-Play Rough

Cotton Guard + Wish to help you deal with taking an SE attack, get a free Shell Smash, tear it up with mixed offenses and stupid high defenses. Thoughts? EV/Nature suggestions?

Unburden's speed boost is not working at PShowdown, at least with red card and slurpuff.

It should but I would also suggest that if you are running this set, you should lay some hazards. Slurpuff has near flawless coverage and can pretty much OHKO everything with its moves after say 1-2 layers of spikes and its Calm Burden boosts.

Yes indeedy. With red card you win every Calm mind war. Ever. Except if the opponent's espeon have roar.

I'll try testing this if no one knows. It might also be able to get it from Plusle/Minun but they don't learn Nasty Plot until 56.

edit - Swirlix does NOT inherit Nasty Plot from Pikachu.
Well that's disappointing. I guess the set can still be used with Calm Mind, but then I feel the bulky sets are better for CM.

Another item choice might be Weakness Policy, if it happens to be consumed when activated. Is this the case?

EDIT: Someone already gave a Weakness Policy Set. Woops :P

Last edited:
This poke is awesome, thanks to its egg moves :)

Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Speed, 4 HP
Adamant Nature
-Yawn
-Belly Drum
-Play Rough
-Thief (yeah...)

Enter on a dragon/Yawn a bulky poke and then belly drum+sitrus to gain good amount of HP and the unburden boost.
Play Rough DESTROYS while thief is there for Aegislash ;)

This poke is awesome, thanks to its egg moves :)

Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Speed, 4 HP
Adamant Nature
-Yawn
-Belly Drum
-Play Rough
-Thief (yeah...)

Enter on a dragon/Yawn a bulky poke and then belly drum+sitrus to gain good amount of HP and the unburden boost.
Play Rough DESTROYS while thief is there for Aegislash ;)
I used a set like this a few times (I got called a noob for it once...yet I won with half my team left...)

It's not a horrible set, and it's definitely usable, but the problem is that so many Pokemon wall it. Virtually every Steel-type under the sun can take the Play Rough and KO Slurpuff. As for Thief for Aegislash... It can probably take the hit and KO with Iron Head.

While it's a usable set, I think Slurpuff's best niche is as a Cleric.

Best set?
Slurpuff @ Weakness Policy
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Flamethrower
- Psychic
- Surf
You switch in on a dragon hope they switch out and hit you with a steel or poison move then sweep

Slurpuff @ Red Card
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Sp. Ded, 4 Sp. Atk
Calm Nature
-Cotton Guard
-Calm Mind
-Draining Kiss
-Aromatherapy

I love this set, really funny because makes it a true warrior XD mono-attack look bad but usually work well, I like aromatherapy cause most of my opponets try status move to destroy it.

How would a double boosting set fair?
Calm Mind
Cotton Guard
Draining Kiss
Aromatherapy/Substitute/Coverage Move

The idea would be to start boosting up your defences ridiculously high (hopefully on a choiced dragon move), draining kiss when you need to recover, and continue boosting until both your defenses and draining kiss gain enough power to sweep a team. Aromatherapy and substitute are there to stop status from stopping your reign of terror (each having different strengths and weaknesses over the other, of course). But, I suppose another coverage move could be used to muscle through something that resists draining kiss and would otherwise wipeout a slurpuff with too few calm minds to achieve adequate recovery.

Although supplementary leftovers recovery is tempting, not abusing unburden just feels wrong. Unfortunately, I'm still not sure which item would be ideal for this set. Weakness policy definitely comes to mind, raising the damage and recovery of this little guy, but perhaps a resisting berry or even sitrus berry would be best until slurpuff has enough defensive boosts under it belt? I will venture to say that sweet veil+leftovers+aromatherapy ensures that you will not ever be liable to sleep and have additional recovery in exchange for doubled speed but riskier status evasion. This is all just speculation though, what do you guys think?

Unfortunately, as much as I like the idea behind this set, I plain and simply don't see it having the stats to ever be OU. Phazers and bullet punchers in particular worry me. I think slurpuff will probably end up being low UU. (And for what it's worth, I can see Clefable being OU, but that's a different story)
I've used this set w/ Flamethrower and a Sirtus Berry and Slurpuff was monstrous! It can take hits and dish out hits to anything that isn't Fire type. Draining Kiss is great for restoring HP. I think Slurpuff will be comfortable in UU and be viable in OU as well.

I'm actually really disappointed with the choices Gamefreak made with Slurpuff and Aromatisse. Aromatisse has access to Trick Room and its stat distribution is much more ideal for a Bulky-Calm Mind set. The one role Slurpuff could do better than it's Y counterpart (Cleric, thanks to its access to wish) is available to Aromatisse too through breeding. Meanwhile, Slurpuff can't even get Moonblast from Aromatisse... It just feels like they jipped Slurpuff out of a lot in favor of Aromatisse. (Okay, Slurpuff fanboy rant over.)

How would a double boosting set fair?
Calm Mind
Cotton Guard
Draining Kiss
Aromatherapy/Substitute/Coverage Move

The idea would be to start boosting up your defences ridiculously high (hopefully on a choiced dragon move), draining kiss when you need to recover, and continue boosting until both your defenses and draining kiss gain enough power to sweep a team. Aromatherapy and substitute are there to stop status from stopping your reign of terror (each having different strengths and weaknesses over the other, of course). But, I suppose another coverage move could be used to muscle through something that resists draining kiss and would otherwise wipeout a slurpuff with too few calm minds to achieve adequate recovery.

Although supplementary leftovers recovery is tempting, not abusing unburden just feels wrong. Unfortunately, I'm still not sure which item would be ideal for this set. Weakness policy definitely comes to mind, raising the damage and recovery of this little guy, but perhaps a resisting berry or even sitrus berry would be best until slurpuff has enough defensive boosts under it belt? I will venture to say that sweet veil+leftovers+aromatherapy ensures that you will not ever be liable to sleep and have additional recovery in exchange for doubled speed but riskier status evasion. This is all just speculation though, what do you guys think?

Unfortunately, as much as I like the idea behind this set, I plain and simply don't see it having the stats to ever be OU. Phazers and bullet punchers in particular worry me. I think slurpuff will probably end up being low UU. (And for what it's worth, I can see Clefable being OU, but that's a different story)
I've seen some decent success running a set very similar to this one. My set was:

Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry/Petaya Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 128 SAtk / 64 Def / 64 SDef
Calm Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Flamethrower
- Calm Mind
- Draining Kiss

I know the stat distribution is a bit weird, but I feel it's the best way to ensure that Slurpuff stays alive long enough to get off a couple of Calm Minds and trigger berry usage at an optimal time. Sending this in on a standard hazard setter makes Slurpuff particularly deadly, as it allows him to set up without fear of any immediate offensive threat. Once the berry has been used, Slurpuff becomes almost unstoppable. Drain Kiss acts as an excellent means of recovery while Dazzling Gleam provides a more powerful STAB move. I only used Calm Mind, though I can see how having Cotton Guard instead of Dazzling Gleam could be very helpful. I could also see someone putting 128 EVs into speed, as I have been outrun by the likes of Greninja and Mega Gengar even with Unburden in effect. Flamethrower is a MUST though, especially with all the Steel types that are running around. I feel running a Sitrus Berry would be more ideal than Petaya since it's easier to trigger and you're less likely to end up in that awkward situation where your health is too high to use your berry, but too low to take another attack. Still, if your opponent hammers you immediately, a Petaya Berry would allow Slurpuff to hit very hard, even with only one Calm Mind.

I've been thinking of a viable upper tier slurpuff for some time now, tell me what you all think.

slurpuff @ red card
ability: unburden
nature: bold
EV spread: 252 Sp. Atk / 160 Def / 100 Spe.
Moves:
- Cotton Guard
- Psychic/Thunderbolt/Surf/Calm Mind
- Draining Kiss
- Flamethrower

with this set, slurpuff makes for an incredible revenge sweeper, being able to go out against a dark or fighting type and being able to take a solid hit before forcing them out to set up cotton guard or cotton guarding if they decide to switch out anyways. from then on, it's difficult not to devastate with him, having a good recovery option in a stab special attack move that is even more useful considering slurpuffs rather below average HP, access to the incredible ability Unburden, which doubles his base speed of 76 AFTER EV and IV buffs (with maximum investment, slurpuff grossly outspeeds even Timid M-Gengar), access to arguably the most powerful stat-buff move in the game (cotton guard, unless you consider belly drum which is, in many situations, unusable), and a myriad of attack options to hit basically anything in the game, even sporting Psychic and Flamethrower to handle it's only 2 weaknesses. despite this, base 85 sp. atk is decent at best, meaning spending another turn on a calm mind in order to enhance it's usage can very much turn the fight against his favor, especially if you just so happened to red-card a specs user, and even then the sp. def boost and sp. atk boost arent as optimal as they could be if slurpuff could only get nasty plot from pikachu. all and all, slurpuff, when used carefully, can stay in and dish out enormous amounts of damage and resists many threats in the OU meta, being able to slurp up a Guts Conkeldurr's mach punch and shrug off a M-Absol sucker punch post Cotton Guard. the fact that slurpuff isn't regarded as one of the deadliest new mons in this gen means no one has sat down and given him a good hard look yet.

I run this guy in all my meta teams and only once has a cotton-guarded unburden slurpuff been taken out, and that was at the claw of a life orb with bullet punch. the lack of priority moves is also an issue with the way the meta-game is looking, but being able to withstand hits and gain that health back makes up for it. oh boy does it make up for it.

Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry
Unburden
Modest
252 HP/176 SpAtk/80 Speed
-Calm Mind
-Dazzling Gleam
-Flamethrower
-Surf/Thunderbolt

Come in, tank any hit, CM up, heal 25%, become faster than everything (400), proceed to sweep. Often, you're bulky enough to get a second CM, and with Slurpuff's amazing coverage, you can run through a whole team. He's great to make dents early on or clean up once his common counters are gone. Scizor and Gengar are his main demons--Bullet Punch and Sludge Bomb/Wave do a number on him. Pair him with a Steel type to soak up Poison/Steel hits, and let him switch into Fighting.

Slurpuff has access to Thief. With Play Rough, it's resisted by one typing, Steel/Fairy, which is nothing. Thief is also useful if you know that what you're setting up on is using leftovers.

Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry
Unburden
Jolly
252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
-Play Rough
-Thief
-Belly Drum
-Wish

Take a turn to get a Wish up, Belly Drum to max Atk, Sitrus Berry activates, Unburden activates, Wish comes down, you're practically at full health at this point... sweep.

Slurpuff has access to Thief. With Play Rough, it's resisted by one typing, Steel/Fairy, which is nothing. Thief is also useful if you know that what you're setting up on is using leftovers.

Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry
Unburden
Jolly
252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
-Play Rough
-Thief
-Belly Drum
-Wish

Take a turn to get a Wish up, Belly Drum to max Atk, Sitrus Berry activates, Unburden activates, Wish comes down, you're practically at full health at this point... sweep.
This set seems to have some potential. The only problem I foresee occurring, besides a OHKO-2HKO, is the fact that you lose your Unburden boost if you receive a new item. Every Pokemon you go up against is going to have an item and 9 times out of 10, it's going to be a permanent one that you can't get rid of afterward. This could really mess up Slurpuff's sweeping potential.

Btw, both Mawile and Klefki are Fairy/Steel.

I don't think this pokemon is UU worth. There a lot of check and counters for it. Chanderule is a notable example: plays around every set and only fears a boosted thief (which is bad to slurpuff do, because she will get a choice scarf or a choice specs).

In RU, Slurpuff could be a decent clelic/support Pokemon, but nothing more than this.

I don't think this pokemon is UU worth. There a lot of check and counters for it. Chanderule is a notable example: plays around every set and only fears a boosted thief (which is bad to slurpuff do, because she will get a choice scarf or a choice specs).

In RU, Slurpuff could be a decent clelic/support Pokemon, but nothing more than this.
Don't forget that Slurpuff can learn Surf and Unburden is crazy stuff. Great boosting moves with Cotton Guard, Calm Mind, and Belly Drum as well.

I think you're underestimating just how effective an unburden sweep can be, especially after setting up with Cotton Guard or Calm Mind. (Or both, like I do) Plus, like Jaguar said, Slurpuff's special movepool is pretty extensive. And with only 128 EV investment in Speed, Unburden Slurpuff is fast enough to outrun both Greninja and Mega Gengar with FULL speed investment. No one is saying it's OU, but I think you're downplaying him a bit too much.

OMG,Slurpuff is one of the most cute Pokemon EVER.
BTW,should i use Slurpuff or Aromatisse(generally speaking)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)