Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 184 SpD / 76 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Agility
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

According to Omari P, Spdef Double Dance Thundy-T is Johnny Tots set. I did not know this but I dont mind giving all the credit to him, should this set become popular.

Now back to the Pokemon:
I wanted overall good bulk so I have 248 HP. 76 Speed with a Timid nature outspeeds Adamant Lando-T which I consider to be a good benchmark. The rest was put into Special Defense.
Lemme also show you the difference in bulk by using AV Tang as target, which is a plausible switch in:

0 SpA Tangrowth Hidden Power Ice vs. 248 HP / 184 SpD Thundurus-Therian: 92-110 (25.4 - 30.4%) -- 0.9% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Tangrowth Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Thundurus-Therian: 112-134 (37.4 - 44.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

With the bulky Set you can basicly Agility on the Turn AV Tang switches in, Nasty Plot three times and be alive.

I was running a pretty successfull HO-Squad with a solid Matchup against everything except for Electric Types. I did not have a Groundtype and was incredibly weak to Magnezone, Tapu Koko etc.
Thundy-T with its Ability Volt Aborbs is the best nonpassive Counter to Magnezone and can set-up on an incredible amount of common mons and also forces AV Magearna to Fleur Cannon:

1) Defensive Lando-T without Stone Edge (0- SpA Landorus-Therian Hidden Power Ice vs. 248 HP / 184 SpD Thundurus-Therian: 80-96 (22.1 - 26.5%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
2) Magnezone, who is very popluar right now. (Specs HP Fire does max 34.6%)
3) Tapu Fini (Moonblast does 31.5% max, just in case it tries to weaken me before something else wants to revengekill)
4) Tapu Koko, easy set-up target (HP Ice does from Koko does 34.3% max)
5) Celesteela. Even offensive variants: (252+ SpA Celesteela Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 184 SpD Thundurus-Therian: 113-133 (31.3 - 36.8%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery)
and so on..

I will provide replays to showcase the success behind the spread:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-526998186 I faked being max Speed/Scarf and was able to setup on Lando-T, who predicted Tbolt and win from there very easily turn 10.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-526067119 Not a sweep, but a showcase of Thundurus-T good bulk, defensive typing and Ability
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-526058382 I started setting up on Turn 16, because Spdef Exca cannot touch me at all. Even tough my Special bulk did not come into play, the 248 HP did. Look at all the priority I tanked easily.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-526401338 Even a crit Inferno Drive from Torn-T + Heat Wave did not stop my sweep after I was put to sleep turn 24. Setting up starts at turn 20.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-526415692 Setting up starts turn 20 against -1 Sylveon. Hyper Voice did around 20 lol. Ez set for life
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-526996944 Hard switched into Mega Pinsir Turn 16 and swept my opponent
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-529083502 I set up on -1 AV Magearna Turn 7 and Thundy-T would win if my opponent did not have MZam in the back (Trace can be really good)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-527704713 Doubled into Thundyt on the predicted Mandibuzz Turn 11. Tapu Lele did 66.8% with Psychic. Without the bulk I could die in one hit.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7ou-243842 Turn 11: Knowing that Pheromosa is my opponents only hazard remover and the fact I take one Life Orb Ice Beam, I actually start setting up on Pheromosa. Ferrothorn even with Crit Knockoff+Leechseed was not able to stop me. Sadly, he revealed Protect on Celesteela and that stopped my sweep because of the Leech Seed drain. The bulk is real!

Even without any special Attack investment, Thundurus-T hits very hard. I can also fake being Scarf or max Speed easily because even if the bluff does not work, I can take the hit. If Zardy actually Fireblasted me, I would still be alive (see replay 1).

I am going to be blunt, this set hasn't been tested at all. I just got the crazy idea when I once say a Mega Charizard Y use Earthquake to try and catch a Heatran. And thinking about, I figured it can't be all that bad:

Mega Charizard Y @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze -> Drought
Nature: Naive
EVs: 4 Att/ 252 Sp. Att / 252 Speed
Dragon Dance
Fire Blast
Solarbeam
Earthquake

Now here's how this set would work. Now we know that standard Zard Y tends to carry Roost and 3 attacks. 2 Are always Fire STAB and Solarbeam with the 3rd being more up in the air. Usually he'll run HP or Focus Blast to get Heatran out of his face. But against anything but Heatran, HP Ground is kinda useless on him and Focus Miss, oops I mean Focus Blast is a bit unreliable. Another problem is that unlike his X counterpart, he's stuck at his average 100 speed tier which allows things like Mega Metagross to get the jump on him...or is he? All Charizard can use Dragon Dance and Zard Y's base 104 attack is far from bad, especially when boosted. Then it hit me. Why not kill 2 birds with 1 stone with an anti-meta set? In exchange for recovery, this Zard Y boasts the ability to break through Heatran and reliably nick Fire/Grass resists while allowing him to boost his speed tier just like his X counterpart. They'd never see it coming. You turn into Zard Y as they switch...and DRAGON DANCE. Now your speed exceeds Pheromosa's and you still have Zard Y's special nuking power. And you get reliable move to hit Heatran and special walls a bit harder.

Of course this has issues. No Roost means hazard removal is pretty much manditory and Toxic is more dangerous among other things. But I could imagine this having its uses. Especially the speed boost it gives Zard Y as now it can kill unboosted threats like Mega Metagross and Pheromosa before getting hit. I am currently taking a break from the ladder as I feel the meta still needs to cool down a bit but when I get back I am probably going to try this out. If nothing else it looks fun.

I am going to be blunt, this set hasn't been tested at all. I just got the crazy idea when I once say a Mega Charizard Y use Earthquake to try and catch a Heatran. And thinking about, I figured it can't be all that bad:

Mega Charizard Y @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze -> Drought
Nature: Naive
EVs: 4 Att/ 252 Sp. Att / 252 Speed
Dragon Dance
Fire Blast
Solarbeam
Earthquake

Now here's how this set would work. Now we know that standard Zard Y tends to carry Roost and 3 attacks. 2 Are always Fire STAB and Solarbeam with the 3rd being more up in the air. Usually he'll run HP or Focus Blast to get Heatran out of his face. But against anything but Heatran, HP Ground is kinda useless on him and Focus Miss, oops I mean Focus Blast is a bit unreliable. Another problem is that unlike his X counterpart, he's stuck at his average 100 speed tier which allows things like Mega Metagross to get the jump on him...or is he? All Charizard can use Dragon Dance and Zard Y's base 104 attack is far from bad, especially when boosted. Then it hit me. Why not kill 2 birds with 1 stone with an anti-meta set? In exchange for recovery, this Zard Y boasts the ability to break through Heatran and reliably nick Fire/Grass resists while allowing him to boost his speed tier just like his X counterpart. They'd never see it coming. You turn into Zard Y as they switch...and DRAGON DANCE. Now your speed exceeds Pheromosa's and you still have Zard Y's special nuking power. And you get reliable move to hit Heatran and special walls a bit harder.

Of course this has issues. No Roost means hazard removal is pretty much manditory and Toxic is more dangerous among other things. But I could imagine this having its uses. Especially the speed boost it gives Zard Y as now it can kill unboosted threats like Mega Metagross and Pheromosa before getting hit. I am currently taking a break from the ladder as I feel the meta still needs to cool down a bit but when I get back I am probably going to try this out. If nothing else it looks fun.
Cool set. I saw something similar in gen 6 but it's better now with the lati twins less common. You could opt for max attack with flare blitz over fire blast, which does this:

+1 252 Atk Charizard-Mega-Y Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 228+ Def Toxapex: 152-180 (50 - 59.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

and this

+1 252 Atk Charizard-Mega-Y Flare Blitz vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey in Sun: 501-589 (78 - 91.7%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Even with 4 SpA EVs, Fini gets 2HKO'd.

Now at this point you may question the point of using this over Zard X. Basically, this gets past bulky waters (and grounds) much easier while hitting Chansey for about the same damage. It also dicks on stall more than X since Duggy can't trap you and can only kill you if it packs Stone Edge (and many do not).

Honestly I'd rather just use DD Zard X in most situations. The way I see it, if your team is running Zard X and has a lot of trouble beating fat waters, Physical DD Zard Y could be a better option. In most situations X is better though.

Special DD Zard Y is fine but it needs a lot of team support to ensure that Garchomp/Latios/Chansey/etc are weakened or removed.

A

Joker fan
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus

DA FUTURE (Thundurus-Therian) @ Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 184 SpD / 76 Spe
Timid Nature
- Agility
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

According to Omari P, Spdef Double Dance Thundy-T is Johnny Tots set. I did not know this but I dont mind giving all the credit to him, should this set become popular.

Now back to the Pokemon:
I wanted overall good bulk so I have 248 HP. 76 Speed with a Timid nature outspeeds Adamant Lando-T which I consider to be a good benchmark. The rest was put into Special Defense.
Lemme also show you the difference in bulk by using AV Tang as target, which is a plausible switch in:

0 SpA Tangrowth Hidden Power Ice vs. 248 HP / 184 SpD Thundurus-Therian: 92-110 (25.4 - 30.4%) -- 0.9% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Tangrowth Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Thundurus-Therian: 112-134 (37.4 - 44.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

With the bulky Set you can basicly Agility on the Turn AV Tang switches in, Nasty Plot three times and be alive.

I was running a pretty successfull HO-Squad with a solid Matchup against everything except for Electric Types. I did not have a Groundtype and was incredibly weak to Magnezone, Tapu Koko etc.
Thundy-T with its Ability Volt Aborbs is the best nonpassive Counter to Magnezone and can set-up on an incredible amount of common mons and also forces AV Magearna to Fleur Cannon:

1) Defensive Lando-T without Stone Edge (0- SpA Landorus-Therian Hidden Power Ice vs. 248 HP / 184 SpD Thundurus-Therian: 80-96 (22.1 - 26.5%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
2) Magnezone, who is very popluar right now. (Specs HP Fire does max 34.6%)
3) Tapu Fini (Moonblast does 31.5% max, just in case it tries to weaken me before something else wants to revengekill)
4) Tapu Koko, easy set-up target (HP Ice does from Koko does 34.3% max)
5) Celesteela. Even offensive variants: (252+ SpA Celesteela Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 184 SpD Thundurus-Therian: 113-133 (31.3 - 36.8%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery)
and so on..

I will provide replays to showcase the success behind the spread:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-526998186 I faked being max Speed/Scarf and was able to setup on Lando-T, who predicted Tbolt and win from there very easily turn 10.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-526067119 Not a sweep, but a showcase of Thundurus-T good bulk, defensive typing and Ability
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-526058382 I started setting up on Turn 16, because Spdef Exca cannot touch me at all. Even tough my Special bulk did not come into play, the 248 HP did. Look at all the priority I tanked easily.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-526401338 Even a crit Inferno Drive from Torn-T + Heat Wave did not stop my sweep after I was put to sleep turn 24. Setting up starts at turn 20.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-526415692 Setting up starts turn 20 against -1 Sylveon. Hyper Voice did around 20 lol. Ez set for life
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-526996944 Hard switched into Mega Pinsir Turn 16 and swept my opponent
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-529083502 I set up on -1 AV Magearna Turn 7 and Thundy-T would win if my opponent did not have MZam in the back (Trace can be really good)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-527704713 Doubled into Thundyt on the predicted Mandibuzz Turn 11. Tapu Lele did 66.8% with Psychic. Without the bulk I could die in one hit.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7ou-243842 Turn 11: Knowing that Pheromosa is my opponents only hazard remover and the fact I take one Life Orb Ice Beam, I actually start setting up on Pheromosa. Ferrothorn even with Crit Knockoff+Leechseed was not able to stop me. Sadly, he revealed Protect on Celesteela and that stopped my sweep because of the Leech Seed drain. The bulk is real!

Even without any special Attack investment, Thundurus-T hits very hard. I can also fake being Scarf or max Speed easily because even if the bluff does not work, I can take the hit. If Zardy actually Fireblasted me, I would still be alive (see replay 1).
I see no reason for "Sp.def Thundy-I" by Omari P to have any discernible niches from something like Electrium Z DD, or even LO. A pokemon with mediocre bulk should not be running investment in order to setup vs threats, rather should be complimented by teammates in the form of lures/screens/free switch ins/offensive pressure/weakening or removal of checks/counters.

Thundurus-Therian is in quite a predicament as it suffers competition from the likes of Tapu Koko, who rocks a nice speed tier and has a lot of cool options to work with, as well as being able to escape Dugtrio; Thundurus-I which finds a comfortable place in punishing Tapu Fini and generally being a great mixed attacker; Zapdos who generally plays defensive but has the option to go offensive and get surprise sweeps underway.

Back to Thundurus, while it does cost a Z-Crystal; there's no reason to run this over Electrium DD, whose sheer power allows it to bypass pokemon such as Metagross w/o needing a nasty plot, just get an agility rolling.

252+ SpA Thundurus-Therian Gigavolt Havoc (175 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Metagross-Mega: 313-370 (103.9 - 122.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Yes, the existence of "bulky" variants of Thundurus-T did exist beforehand, say BW's 128 HP one is a classic example, but the meta's circumstances are quite different. These sets also don't sacrifice a ridiculous amount of power and speed just to "tank hits".

Electrium has an easier time picking up a kill and grabbing boosts, if you want to use Thundurus-T w/o a Z-Crystal, I suggest using a different pokemon instead.

Electrium again, also has no issues dealing with fat grasses; one of the main roadblocks to a successful Thundurus-Therian sweep.

To show the massive deficit in power between these sets;
+2 0 SpA Thundurus-Therian Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Metagross-Mega: 246-291 (81.7 - 96.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ SpA Thundurus-Therian Gigavolt Havoc (175 BP) vs. 248 HP / 92 SpD Amoonguss: 366-431 (84.9 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
+2 252+ SpA Thundurus-Therian Gigavolt Havoc (175 BP) vs. 232 HP / 4 SpD Venusaur-Mega: 289-341 (80.5 - 94.9%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ SpA Thundurus-Therian Gigavolt Havoc (175 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Kyurem-Black: 369-435 (94.3 - 111.2%) --

In addition; what's the point when Koko 2kos after rocks; and you barely dent it with HP ice? Lando-T's usual response is to get out via u-turn or hard switching, or even say knock. (also timid does work fine still, but modest reaches the important kos. You generally should remove things like Scarf Pheromosa beforehand in the first place.)

It just doesn't seem worthwhile to forgo all of this destructive power for "taking hits", especially on a frail mon as this already.

something something rock slide tangrowth

Last edited:
I see no reason for "Sp.def Thundy-I" by Omari P to have any discernible niches from something like Electrium Z DD, or even LO. A pokemon with mediocre bulk should not be running investment in order to setup vs threats, rather should be complimented by teammates in the form of lures/screens/free switch ins/offensive pressure/weakening or removal of checks/counters.

Thundurus-Therian is in quite a predicament as it suffers competition from the likes of Tapu Koko, who rocks a nice speed tier and has a lot of cool options to work with, as well as being able to escape Dugtrio; Thundurus-I which finds a comfortable place in punishing Tapu Fini and generally being a great mixed attacker; Zapdos who generally plays defensive but has the option to go offensive and get surprise sweeps underway.

Back to Thundurus, while it does cost a Z-Crystal; there's no reason to run this over Electrium DD, whose sheer power allows it to bypass pokemon such as Metagross w/o needing a nasty plot, just get an agility rolling.

252+ SpA Thundurus-Therian Gigavolt Havoc (175 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Metagross-Mega: 313-370 (103.9 - 122.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Yes, the existence of "bulky" variants of Thundurus-T did exist beforehand, say BW's 128 HP one is a classic example, but the meta's circumstances are quite different. These sets also don't sacrifice a ridiculous amount of power and speed just to "tank hits".

Electrium has an easier time picking up a kill and grabbing boosts, if you want to use Thundurus-T w/o a Z-Crystal, I suggest using a different pokemon instead.

Electrium again, also has no issues dealing with fat grasses; one of the main roadblocks to a successful Thundurus-Therian sweep.

To show the massive deficit in power between these sets;
+2 0 SpA Thundurus-Therian Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Metagross-Mega: 246-291 (81.7 - 96.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ SpA Thundurus-Therian Gigavolt Havoc (175 BP) vs. 248 HP / 92 SpD Amoonguss: 366-431 (84.9 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
+2 252+ SpA Thundurus-Therian Gigavolt Havoc (175 BP) vs. 232 HP / 4 SpD Venusaur-Mega: 289-341 (80.5 - 94.9%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ SpA Thundurus-Therian Gigavolt Havoc (175 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Kyurem-Black: 369-435 (94.3 - 111.2%) --

In addition; what's the point when Koko 2kos after rocks; and you barely dent it with HP ice? Lando-T's usual response is to get out via u-turn or hard switching, or even say knock. (also timid does work fine still, but modest reaches the important kos. You generally should remove things like Scarf Pheromosa beforehand in the first place.)

It just doesn't seem worthwhile to forgo all of this destructive power for "taking hits", especially on a frail mon as this already.
The power difference is evident, but I already have a Z-Crystal on Gyarados. According to you, I should either use a Z-Crystal on him or not use him at all. Since I already mentioned the defensive utlity of Thundurus and the incredible weakness I have against electrics like Magnezone, Tapu Koko etc. I do not actually know if you read the introduction of my post. If you feel like that Thundurus-therian is not good without Electrium-Z, I would prefer suggestions in form of a replacement:
1) Bulky, lategamecleaner, threatening
2) can take a hit from Electrictypes (this includes Tbolt, HP Ice, Flash Cannon, Hp Fire) and at least weaken them so that my priority can pick them off
3) fits on HO

Regarding the difference in power: As you might have seen, the replays show that I am using a Hazardspam offense, which can get its hazards even against stall very easily (I can give you like 10 replays to showcase this if you want). This reduces the need for an offensive set slightly.
Even if I setup and my opponent switches into a threat I cannot OHKO but who can OHKO me back (e.g. Kyurem-B) I can switch out and come back later and force it to take all the hazards The hazards I have and the multiple Taunt users to prevent removal via Defog encouraged me to use a bulky variant.

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 200 HP / 212 Def / 96 SpD
Impish Nature
- Curse
- Recover
- Amnesia
- Waterfall

Okay, I call this the dual dance Quagsire(LOL). This fits so well on stall teams that it's border line ridiculous. If you are sure you aren't running into any more grass moves and you see a physical attacker you can bring this monster in on. Preferably a Zard X on a dd or a flare blitz or something you know you can eat pretty well. You can enter curse once and set up an amnesia. This is just an example of what this monster is capable of after one amnesia it turns tapu lele ( a huge threat to stall ) into setup fodder if it's scarf/shed shell lele.
252 SpA Tapu Lele Psychic vs. +2 200 HP / 96 SpD Quagsire: 138-163 (36.2 - 42.7%) -- 96.8% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

It really appreciates a heal bell support from the likes of chansey because it can't switch into a special hit but the former can. It also likes to not get taunted and appreciates a mega sableye support. It can take physical hits relatively well and it's typing gives it just one weakness that you need to play around.

TIPS - keep it relatively healthy with above 80%+ health incase your opponent crits. Use it later on in the game when most taunters/grass mons are either weak or down.

Obligatory replay pre gen 7 of Quag single handedly destroying an AG team. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/anythinggoes-440371290 and some more of quag doing well on the OU ladder 1500+ https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankou-522343412 and some more https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankou-521094689

Last edited:

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Re: SpD DD Thundurus-T

A Thundy-T set that doesn't outpace base 100s or even Tapu Lele unboosted is iffy in a metagame such as OU as it is in its current state no matter what fancy justification you use. If I want a Pokemon that can deal with Electric-types nicely and isn't a passive shit I'm going to bring something along the lines of AV Magnezone (which proceeds to actually beat locked/lure Magnezone variants courtesy of Magnet Pull), Mamoswine (exerts significantly more field presence vs. whatever switches in after it forces its target out and is generally easier to plug onto a team), or Alolan Marowak (same deal as Mamoswine). If I want to compress electric check and late-game cleaner I'm going to bring ScarfChomp or--guess what--offensive Thundy-T! Like, you don't need to hard counter these Electric-types with a bulky spread--especially on a completely hyper offensive build--given that the sheer fact you carry a Volt Absorb user passively discourages them from ever clicking their Electric-type STAB in the first place and given that the way that Thundurus-T functions best is by coming out against them on a faint or an expected Thunderbolt, setting up while they can't one-shot you and then cleaning with significantly more consistency.

The replays you provided they simply don't help your case much either. I took a random replay (I clicked on the fifth one without reading the description having watched none prior) and quite frankly just by looking at both the team you're using and the team you are facing I can see a number of issues with both teams and the way both of you played as well. You are running Tapu Fini--a very slow booster and passive pivot--on a team which is way too frail in setup to afford the momentum sapping that comes with it, your only answer to a U-turn-spamming Tapu Koko (and Electric-types in general) is weak to Stealth Rock on a team with a giant "set rocks on me" sign called Tapu Fini, the only thing faster than base 100 is Greninja, and there zero speed control--leaving you completely open to Pheromosa and Ash Greninja short of Little Miss Passive; you opponent is carrying Fling+Scarf Pheromosa, defensive Sylveon, and slow Continental Crush Landorus-T. Your team would be improved without breaking from its core concept by simply putting more thought into offensive team composition and potentially going for an ordered HO setup. As for the actual battle, both sides of the battle made multiple misplays such as you clicking Dragon Dance against a Lando-T which literally came in on you as opposed to clicking Waterfall, your opponent going to Sylveon on Greninja to double to Zapdos after seeing Spikes (this play just made me go ??? when I saw it) etc. This is not a good sample. I'd go on and take a look at the other replays, but I think I've made my point here.

Within the context of a reasonably well built team, I simply can't think of when I'd find the justification to use this set... well, ever really. While it isn't Scarf Scizor level garbage or even necessarily bad in the traditional sense, the current metagame climate makes it both a) unfavorable and b) somewhat unnecessary in practice, and as such I just generally don't know why I'd ever use it. To each their own I guess, but I simply don't see it personally.

Last edited:
Re: SpD DD Thundurus-T

A Thundy-T set that doesn't outpace base 100s or even Tapu Lele unboosted is iffy in a metagame such as OU as it is in its current state no matter what fancy justification you use. If I want a Pokemon that can deal with Electric-types nicely and isn't a passive shit I'm going to bring something along the lines of AV Magnezone (which proceeds to actually beat locked/lure Magnezone variants courtesy of Magnet Pull), Mamoswine (exerts significantly more field presence vs. whatever switches in after it forces its target out and is generally easier to plug onto a team), or Alolan Marowak (same deal as Mamoswine). If I want to compress electric check and late-game cleaner I'm going to bring ScarfChomp or--guess what--offensive Thundy-T! Like, you don't need to hard counter these Electric-types with a bulky spread--especially on a completely hyper offensive build--given that the sheer fact you carry a Volt Absorb user passively discourages them from ever clicking their Electric-type STAB in the first place and given that the way that Thundurus-T functions best is by coming out against them on a faint or an expected Thunderbolt, setting up while they can't one-shot you and then cleaning with significantly more consistency.

The replays you provided they simply don't help your case much either. I took a random replay (I clicked on the fifth one without reading the description having watched none prior) and quite frankly just by looking at both the team you're using and the team you are facing I can see a number of issues with both teams and the way both of you played as well. You are running Tapu Fini--a very slow booster and passive pivot--on a team which is way too frail in setup to afford the momentum sapping that comes with it, your only answer to a U-turn-spamming Tapu Koko (and Electric-types in general) is weak to Stealth Rock on a team with a giant "set rocks on me" sign called Tapu Lele, the only thing faster than base 100 is Greninja, and there zero speed control--leaving you completely open to Pheromosa and Ash Greninja short of Little Miss Passive; you opponent is carrying Fling+Scarf Pheromosa, defensive Sylveon, and slow Continental Crush Landorus-T. Your team would be improved without breaking from its core concept by simply putting more thought into offensive team composition and potentially going for an ordered HO setup. As for the actual battle, both sides of the battle made multiple misplays such as you clicking Dragon Dance against a Lando-T which literally came in on you as opposed to clicking Waterfall, your opponent going to Sylveon on Greninja to double to Zapdos after seeing Spikes (this play just made me go ??? when I saw it) etc. This is not a good sample. I'd go on and take a look at the other replays, but I think I've made my point here.

Within the context of a reasonably well built team, I simply can't think of when I'd find the justification to use this set... well, ever really. While it isn't Scarf Scizor level garbage or even necessarily bad in the traditional sense, the current metagame climate makes it both a) unfavorable and b) somewhat unnecessary in practice, and as such I just generally don't know why I'd ever use it. To each their own I guess, but I simply don't see it personally.
You are making several good points.
First of all you should always consider, that in Ladder you face the same people several times. Everyone hates facing the same guy when they know your sets and how you beat them last time etc. which is the reason for me to Dragon Dance on Lando-T. That is why I am sorry you had to see some weird plays. But in order to show how easily Thundurus was able to setup on Sylveon, I still decided to post that replay. The offensive variant needs the perfect timing, is much easier to revengekill and cannot setup as much as the bulky variant. I know that an offensive variant only needs max two turns to get going and I am not saying that the bulky variant is better, just an alternative that can work if you make the necesarry plays for it. In other words, the amount of targets I can setup on effectivly is larger but the price is damage and speed. It is basicly a tradeoff.

I think a good example is when you barely get killed and manage to sweep the opposing team starting turn 23:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-530310849
I was able to set-up on Zapdos and even Ice Beam Blissey (which is common if you use Pyukumuku as your Unaware mon of choice to not lose to Sub Zygarde) and clean up. If I had offensive Thundurus-T, obviously I would play it differently but you have to admit it would be more difficult to get the job done overall. I also do admit that in other situations the offensive variant is better.
I encourage you to watch the other replays as well to get a feeling of Spdef Thundurus, to make better judgements (no offense).

As regarding to the Uturn spamming Koko against a Rocks weak team, pls do not forget that I am using both Stealth Rock and Spikes with several ways to prevent a removal (multiple Taunt users). You can expect the Tapu Koko being punished for Uturning around to the point, I can pick it off with Sucker Punch.

I agree that Tapu Fini is passive on my team, but the idea was to have it so I do not get Scald burned when I attempt to setup with Bisharp because I have Shuca Berry over Lum Berry.

As for the suggestions made over Thundurus, I am really liking the idea of offensive Mamoswine :)

Zygarde@Leftovers
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 248 HP/ 252 at/ 8 speed
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Thousand Arrows
- Outrage
- Substitute

I don't know who said that only regular DD and subcoil were the only viable Zygarde sets. I decided to meet in the middle with this set. On early ladder, I decided to bring one pokemon (Zygarde running this set) and I was 6-0 ing (1-0 ing technically) with this set.

My team built around this set is a volt-turn team involving AV Magearna to beat fairies and ice types, Defensive lando with stone edge (for Volc and intimidate support), AV tangrowth (athough it doesn't get u turn or volt switch it beats ferro and metagross), Rotom Wash (will-o-wisp support and hydro pump for alola wak) and mega scizor (don't know why it's on my team.

Replays later. I'm using my I pad now

Hawlucha @ Electric Seed / Grassy Seed / Psychic Seed / Misty Seed
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 132 HP / 252 Atk / 124 Spe
Adamant Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Acrobatics
- Swords Dance / Bulk Up
- Taunt / Substitute / Roost / Stone Edge

With the appropriate terrain up, Hawlucha gets +1 Def/SpD, +2 Spe, and 110 bp Acrobatics; right when it switches in. Works as a cleaner/sweeper, a lot like Sand Rush Excadrill. Not as strong, but it's faster (actually ev'd just to outspeed Drill). Only gets one chance to set up but it lasts even if the terrain wears off. The seed boost gives Hawlucha more bulk to set up with as well, and could potentially make bulk up/roost options, though I haven't tried them. One of the biggest benefits of Hawlucha over Excadrill is you get to use the Tapu of your choice as a partner instead of Ttar/Hippo which aren't particularly flexible and can be tough to fit on every team.

Coverage options on Hawlucha are a little lackluster, a lot of moves that sound good but are just too weak compared to his main stabs; Fire Punch is only useful for Scizor, Thunder Punch for Gyara/Pelipper/Mantine, Iron Head for Diancie. Stone Edge can actually help with flying and some fire types so it's probably your best option, but coverage isn't really necessary anyways. I've been running taunt to avoid wisp/seeds/haze/whirlwind and the like, which is another niche it has over Excadrill.

Pelipper @ Choice Specs
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpA
Rash Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Hurricane
- Scald
- Knock Off / U-turn / Ice Beam

Specs Rain Hydro Pump hits incredibly hard
252+ SpA Choice Specs Pelipper Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mew in Rain: 357-420 (104.6 - 123.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Latios Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mew: 349-412 (102.3 - 120.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Charizard-Mega-Y Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mew in Sun: 345-406 (101.1 - 119%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Adaptability Crawdaunt Crabhammer vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 340-400 (99.7 - 117.3%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Wishiwashi-School Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mew: 313-369 (91.7 - 108.2%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Kartana Leaf Blade vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 312-367 (91.4 - 107.6%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mew: 295-348 (86.5 - 102%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Primarina Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mew: 289-342 (84.7 - 100.2%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Waterfall vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 238-282 (69.7 - 82.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

It blows through most special walls
252+ SpA Choice Specs Pelipper Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Celesteela in Rain: 255-301 (64 - 75.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Pelipper Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Clefable in Rain: 276-325 (70 - 82.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Pelipper Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Magearna in Rain: 157-186 (43.1 - 51%) -- 52% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Choice Specs Pelipper Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Cresselia in Rain: 214-253 (48.1 - 56.9%) -- 41.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Hurricane hits a lot of things that normally bother water types
252+ SpA Choice Specs Pelipper Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Toxapex: 135-159 (44.4 - 52.3%) -- 76.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Pelipper Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Tangrowth: 344-408 (85.1 - 100.9%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Choice Specs Pelipper Hurricane vs. 248 HP / 144 SpD Venusaur-Mega: 360-426 (99.1 - 117.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Choice Specs Pelipper Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 181-214 (51.4 - 60.7%) -- 91.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Pelipper Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tapu Fini: 144-169 (41.8 - 49.1%) -- 20.7% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

And if you catch it with a Knock Off when it comes in early, you can even 2 hit Chansey
252+ SpA Choice Specs Pelipper Hydro Pump vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey in Rain: 183-216 (28.5 - 33.6%) -- 0.2% chance to 3HKO
0- Atk Pelipper Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 48-57 (7.4 - 8.8%) -- possibly the worst move ever
252+ SpA Choice Specs Pelipper Hydro Pump vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Chansey in Rain: 274-324 (42.6 - 50.4%) -- 95.7% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Ice Beam can be used for dragons but doesn't really seem necessary. You can opt for more bulk (high defense and good typing) or more speed (base 65 isn't bad). Really simple and effective set, but I haven't seen it used at all.

Okay might as well keep posting the same set over and over in different threads.

Thundurus @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Fly
- Wild Charge
- Superpower

Thundurus makes an amazing grass lure in the current metagame since its normal sets like NP+3 attacks and T-wave 3 attacks are only walled by grass types, even defiant mixed LO doesn't want grass types switching in on it. Z-Fly has just enough power to KO even the toughest of OU's grass types. Defiant Thundurus also makes a really good defog punisher on Tapu Fini who it can threaten out easily. Most balance teams rely on either a bulky Grass Type like Tangrowth or Lando-T to take strong physical attacks and Thundurus make mince meat out both since it gets a +1 on Lando and KOs even defensive variants with Z-Fly with SR support. The set is full physical since the recoil from Wild Charge isn't nearly as bad w/o a LO and Thundy needs all the power it can get. This set can also deal with stall pretty nice since most stall teams assume you're running special thundurus which allows you to knock off chansey and if they predict correctly Mega Sableye their best answer still gets chunked by Z-Fly so it can only counter Thundy above ~66% of its HP. Thundurus is especially useful in this role on HO teams, and good partners for this set are pokemon like Ash-Greninja and Tapu Koko who enjoy having bulky grass types lured and KOed. The other moves in the set are for utility and can be swapped out according to the teams need, taunt is a very notable option since it allows Thundurus to stop mons like Ferrothorn who can otherwise wall this set.

The main flaws with this set is that Z-Fly is one time use so it must be used carefully and against a wise oppenent Z-Fly can be scouted with a number of good switch-ins. Thundurus's speed tier also leaves it vulnerable to being revenge killed by basically anything faster than it, but overall there are pretty much zero good grass lures in the current metagame (and now there are zero again since I posted this set) and thundurus fulfills this role while being no slouch at balance breaking and discouraging and benefiting from defogs.

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
Okay might as well keep posting the same set over and over in different threads.

Thundurus @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Fly
- Wild Charge
- Superpower

Thundurus makes an amazing grass lure in the current metagame since its normal sets like NP+3 attacks and T-wave 3 attacks are only walled by grass types, even defiant mixed LO doesn't want grass types switching in on it. Z-Fly has just enough power to KO even the toughest of OU's grass types. Defiant Thundurus also makes a really good defog punisher on Tapu Fini who it can threaten out easily. Most balance teams rely on either a bulky Grass Type like Tangrowth or Lando-T to take strong physical attacks and Thundurus make mince meat out both since it gets a +1 on Lando and KOs even defensive variants with Z-Fly with SR support. The set is full physical since the recoil from Wild Charge isn't nearly as bad w/o a LO and Thundy needs all the power it can get. This set can also deal with stall pretty nice since most stall teams assume you're running special thundurus which allows you to knock off chansey and if they predict correctly Mega Sableye their best answer still gets chunked by Z-Fly so it can only counter Thundy above ~66% of its HP. Thundurus is especially useful in this role on HO teams, and good partners for this set are pokemon like Ash-Greninja and Tapu Koko who enjoy having bulky grass types lured and KOed. The other moves in the set are for utility and can be swapped out according to the teams need, taunt is a very notable option since it allows Thundurus to stop mons like Ferrothorn who can otherwise wall this set.

The main flaws with this set is that Z-Fly is one time use so it must be used carefully and against a wise oppenent Z-Fly can be scouted with a number of good switch-ins. Thundurus's speed tier also leaves it vulnerable to being revenge killed by basically anything faster than it, but overall there are pretty much zero good grass lures in the current metagame (and now there are zero again since I posted this set) and thundurus fulfills this role while being no slouch at balance breaking and discouraging and benefiting from defogs.
read the first reply of this thread my dude

Hawlucha @ Electric Seed / Grassy Seed / Psychic Seed / Misty Seed
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 132 HP / 252 Atk / 124 Spe
Adamant Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Acrobatics
- Swords Dance / Bulk Up
- Taunt / Substitute / Roost / Stone Edge

With the appropriate terrain up, Hawlucha gets +1 Def/SpD, +2 Spe, and 110 bp Acrobatics; right when it switches in. Works as a cleaner/sweeper, a lot like Sand Rush Excadrill. Not as strong, but it's faster (actually ev'd just to outspeed Drill). Only gets one chance to set up but it lasts even if the terrain wears off. The seed boost gives Hawlucha more bulk to set up with as well, and could potentially make bulk up/roost options, though I haven't tried them. One of the biggest benefits of Hawlucha over Excadrill is you get to use the Tapu of your choice as a partner instead of Ttar/Hippo which aren't particularly flexible and can be tough to fit on every team.
But Hawlucha is a Flying type, do the seeds still work if the Pokémon is not touching the ground?

Figure I'd post about this now cause if Dugtrio gets axed there's less of a reason to use this thing.

Chandelure @ Ghostium Z
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Flamethrower
- Calm Mind
- Substitute/Taunt

Chandelure is historically not a great Pokemon in OU, and it still isn't, but I think the environment this generation is more kind to it. It appreciates Tyranitar being much less common than before and a general lack of sturdy Ghost resists in OU. Meanwhile it's a very solid answer to Pheromosa which gives it more purchase against offensive teams. I feel that Ghostium Z is the perfect item for it, as it improves its effectiveness greatly by being able to get a big hit against offensive switch-ins. Greninja takes about 80% from Never-Ending Nightmare and if it has a Naive nature it can actually just die after Stealth Rock damage.

As a stallbreaker it can be quite effective: this set actually functions similarly to that Mismagius set from that one SPL game. After a Calm Mind boost and with a Modest nature, it's actually stronger than a +2 Mismagius while having a useful secondary STAB. The higher base Special Attack lets it smack Unaware mons harder too. Needless to say it can escape from Dugtrio which is kind of a necessity. Taunt lets you break through Unaware mons easier but Substitute is more useful across all matchups, but both let you set up on Chansey.

The other big reason to use Chandelure is that it's effective against the Baton Pass teams commonly seen on the ladder, thanks to Infiltrator. If it ends up in against Scolipede, the opponent simply loses a mon to Never-Ending Nightmare. I haven't really seen any solid Ghost resists on Baton Pass teams, and even bulkier recipients like Manaphy can drop to Never-Ending Nightmare. Scolipede itself can't typically touch Chandelure unless it's running Earthquake. Substitute helps in this matchup too, cause if the Scolipede tries to Protect and bait the Z-Move and gets subbed on the Chandelure player gets in a really good situation. Even without Sub the Chandelure player can CM on a Protect if they're ballsy and then absolutely nothing switches in.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7oususpecttest-535111613 Here's a replay that shows what Chandelure does against offensive teams. It lures and knocks out Tapu Fini and later checks Pheromosa.

Last edited:
the archive was edited a while back with rock slide muk and the now standard sd + wateriumz scolipede. expect another update in the near future as in we finally stop getting trash sets flooding this thread because that's what this post is going to be about:

the "replays later" thing is getting old. maybe if it happened once in a while but it's been happening since the oras thread

you don't got a replay on you? don't bother posting until you get one because i'ma assume you theorymon'd that set out of your bitch ass.
and let's just face the facts. if you say replays later and you haven't edited the post for like a week, then it's clear that you're a lying scum

don't theorymon and don't lie

that is all.

Sup lovely community. Today I will present you my favourite Zygarde Set:

Zygarde @ Soft Sand
EVs: 188 HP / 216 Atk / 104 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Substitute
- Thousand Arrows
- Extreme Speed

188 HP gives me 101 HP subs and overall great bulk and allows me to setup on many targets. 104 Speed is needed to outspeed max Speed Adamant Tapu Bulu and to outspeed Greninja at +1 and Scarf Nihilego at +2. The rest was put into Atk and luckily, 216 Atk is a jump point. Soft Sand gives me the necessary boost to 2hko Tapu Fini at +1 and to OHKO Mega-Metagross 100% of the time.

+1 216+ Atk Soft Sand Zygarde Thousand Arrows vs. 248 HP / 192 Def Tapu Fini: 178-210 (51.8 - 61.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
+1 216+ Atk Soft Sand Zygarde Thousand Arrows vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Metagross-Mega: 330-390 (109.6 - 129.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Without Soft Sand, Zygarde is very weak. Even Greninja can take +1 Thousand Arrows. Life Orb chips away at Zygardes great natural bulk and is questionable on a set with Substitute. That is why I prefer to use Soft Sand.
It also hits Unaware Clef really hard and forces it to wish. In this case it is best to Thousand Arrows on the switch and Thousand Arrow again on the Wish. After that switch out to a mon on the obvious Protect that threatens to kill Clef which is not at full health. The next time Zygarde comes in, Clef cannot switch without risking the 2HKO.

Zygardes physical bulk even allows you to take an Outrage from Garchomp from full health. Therefore it is possible to Dragon Dance against Garchomp if you are already at +1 and kill it with Soft Sand boosted Thousand Arrow.

252 Atk Garchomp Outrage vs. 188 HP / 0 Def Zygarde: 336-396 (83.1 - 98%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Dragon Dance gives Zygarde an unexpected sweeping potential. Sub is important to prevent Leech Seeds and other nasty moves like Toxic and Wisp. It also is great to use on a predicted sack to make revengekilling Zygarde a big problem.
Extreme Speed might seem weird on a Dragon Dancing set, but even with +1 Speed Zygarde fails to outspeed mons it might be able to pick off with Extreme Speed, most notably it kills Pheromosa, which might predict you to not have Extreme Speed because they saw Dragon Dance.

+1 216+ Atk Zygarde Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Pheromosa: 249-294 (87.9 - 103.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Replay 1:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7oususpecttest-535304706
Turn 14 I sack Mega Pinsir to Rocks on Scarf Pheromosa Uturn. That gave Zygarde a free Dragon Dance and the win.

Replay 2:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7oususpecttest-535323761
After weakening my opponents Landot with HP Ice, it was very easy for me to win the game with Zygarde.

Replay 3:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7oususpecttest-535336176
My opponent had a 51% Protean max Attack Greninja on the field turn 14. I went to Zygarde to bait the Ice beam and pivoted around and brought my Zygarde back in on the Greninja as it was only at 32%. I Dragon Dances on the Greninja because it just made sense to Extreme Speed after forcing Greninja to take two more Life Orb hits. I Dragon Danced and that won me the game. Also he does not know I am Dragon Dance, so he thought Mega-Metagross would be failsafe. If I Espeeded on the Greninja kill, he could revengekill me with Ice Punch from Metagross-Mega or even with two Meteor Mashes, since Thousand Arrows+Espeed doesnt kill Mega-Metagross, which is why I made this play.

Last edited:

Pelipper @ Choice Specs
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpA
Rash Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Hurricane
- Scald
- Knock Off / U-turn / Ice Beam

Specs Rain Hydro Pump hits incredibly hard
252+ SpA Choice Specs Pelipper Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mew in Rain: 357-420 (104.6 - 123.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Latios Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mew: 349-412 (102.3 - 120.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Charizard-Mega-Y Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mew in Sun: 345-406 (101.1 - 119%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Adaptability Crawdaunt Crabhammer vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 340-400 (99.7 - 117.3%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Wishiwashi-School Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mew: 313-369 (91.7 - 108.2%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Kartana Leaf Blade vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 312-367 (91.4 - 107.6%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mew: 295-348 (86.5 - 102%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Primarina Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mew: 289-342 (84.7 - 100.2%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Waterfall vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 238-282 (69.7 - 82.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

It blows through most special walls
252+ SpA Choice Specs Pelipper Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Celesteela in Rain: 255-301 (64 - 75.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Pelipper Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Clefable in Rain: 276-325 (70 - 82.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Pelipper Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Magearna in Rain: 157-186 (43.1 - 51%) -- 52% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Choice Specs Pelipper Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Cresselia in Rain: 214-253 (48.1 - 56.9%) -- 41.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Hurricane hits a lot of things that normally bother water types
252+ SpA Choice Specs Pelipper Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Toxapex: 135-159 (44.4 - 52.3%) -- 76.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Pelipper Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Tangrowth: 344-408 (85.1 - 100.9%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Choice Specs Pelipper Hurricane vs. 248 HP / 144 SpD Venusaur-Mega: 360-426 (99.1 - 117.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Choice Specs Pelipper Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 181-214 (51.4 - 60.7%) -- 91.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Pelipper Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tapu Fini: 144-169 (41.8 - 49.1%) -- 20.7% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

And if you catch it with a Knock Off when it comes in early, you can even 2 hit Chansey
252+ SpA Choice Specs Pelipper Hydro Pump vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey in Rain: 183-216 (28.5 - 33.6%) -- 0.2% chance to 3HKO
0- Atk Pelipper Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 48-57 (7.4 - 8.8%) -- possibly the worst move ever
252+ SpA Choice Specs Pelipper Hydro Pump vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Chansey in Rain: 274-324 (42.6 - 50.4%) -- 95.7% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Ice Beam can be used for dragons but doesn't really seem necessary. You can opt for more bulk (high defense and good typing) or more speed (base 65 isn't bad). Really simple and effective set, but I haven't seen it used at all.

Ok so I saw this pelipper spread and I was intrigued. And since this post is more or less just theorymonning because there aren't any replays for either Hawlucha or Pelipper, I decided to take matters into my own hands.

So let me just say that Specs Pelipper is extremely powerful. Its capable of 2hko'ing every single pokemon in the overused tier with its STAB coverage moves besides Chansey (with eviolite intact), Blissey, Mantine and I guess Assault Vest Goodra and Lanturn (because I know someone is going to say something). On top of that, its Water/Flying typing is great offensively and defensively making it an ideal wall breaker. It's speed, while admittedly mediocre / straight up bad, is enough to outspeed uninvested base 96 mons. The set I have been running is as follows.

Pelipper @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Hurricane
- Shock Wave
- U-turn

1. I chose Modest over the Rash nature above because Pelipper has respectable bulk and a microscopic bit of extra damage on u-turn / knock off really isn't really worth the considerable drop in bulk.

2. Shock Wave is to round out my coverage and allows for a crisp 2hko on Mantine which would otherwise wall me. It was replaced over scald because of the various nerfs to burn in the 7th generation metagame. Also I chose it over hp electric because of style points.

3. I cannot stress how important max speed is over max HP. It means the difference between 2hko-ing Defensive Rotom-Wash and AV Magearna on the switch versus dropping dead to volt switch. It also outspeeds defensive lando letting you prevent rocks and future u-turn momentum grabs. (most Lando's will go for u-turn assuming they outspeed) as well as Tapu Fini which hurricane has a 74.2% chance to 2hko after leftovers (without rocks up).

I should note that despite u-turn being there I rarely find myself in a position to want to click u-turn when I can simply 2hko anything on the switch. I would really only go for it if I have a team member who can sweep/wall break more reliably.

I personally don't think calcs are necessary because I already told you what pelipper is capable of doing but I'll just put some notable calcs here regardless.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Pelipper Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Charizard-Mega-X in Rain: 408-481 (137.3 - 161.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Pelipper Hydro Pump vs. 248 HP / 228+ SpD Jirachi in Rain: 262-310 (65 - 76.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Pelipper Hurricane vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Latios: 219-258 (73.2 - 86.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Pelipper Hydro Pump vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Assault Vest Magearna in Rain: 211-249 (58.1 - 68.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Pelipper Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Magearna in Rain: 316-373 (104.9 - 123.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Pelipper Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 16 SpD Assault Vest Muk-Alola in Rain: 234-276 (56.5 - 66.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Pelipper Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Metagross-Mega in Rain: 330-388 (109.6 - 128.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
:^) 252+ SpA Choice Specs Pelipper Hydro Pump vs. 248 HP / 64 SpD Pelipper in Rain: 219-258 (67.8 - 79.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Pelipper Hydro Pump vs. 248 HP / 20 SpD Rotom-Wash in Rain: 165-195 (54.4 - 64.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Pelipper Hurricane vs. 248 HP / 16+ SpD Tapu Fini: 171-202 (49.8 - 58.8%) -- 74.2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Pelipper Hydro Pump vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Zapdos in Rain: 390-460 (101.8 - 120.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Pelipper Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Zygarde in Rain: 267-315 (63.5 - 75%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Pelipper Hydro Pump vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Sableye-Mega in Rain: 318-375 (104.9 - 123.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Pelipper Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 24 SpD Toxapex: 172-204 (56.5 - 67.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
And for those weirdos who use max SpD toxapex on stall
252+ SpA Choice Specs Pelipper Hydro Pump vs. 248 HP / 200 SpD Scizor-Mega in Rain: 295-348 (86 - 101.4%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Pelipper Hurricane vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Salamence: 285-336 (86.1 - 101.5%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Pelipper Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Slowbro in Rain: 214-252 (54.3 - 63.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
I dont think I need to show specs modest pelipper 2hkoing mantine with a 4x super effective move.
And finally just for fun:
252+ SpA Choice Specs Pelipper Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Dialga in Rain: 178-210 (44 - 51.9%) -- 14.1% chance to 2HKO

And these are all with the exception to SpD Toxapex, in the absence of stealth rocks.

Finally I got some replays. Not too many because I decided wanted to do this write up maybe an hour ago. More are coming~!!

The team I built around pelipper was based on something I had thought of in the past but never got around to experimenting with. A triple weather team. I'll send the exact info to anyone who wants it, just pm me but they are all standard sets outside of pelipper (rotom is scarf hydro volt thunder trick) so you should be able to get it.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7oususpecttest-536076092
Versus some nice bulky offense, emphasis on bulky. Lead with Ferrothorn predicting Gren as a lead but he goes Tapu Bulu, I seed predicting the switch in fear of gyro but it costs me. However it gave me a free switch to pelipper which is insanely useful. Everytime Pelipper got sent out, it forced a switch and every time it connected it withered the opponents team considerably. Once his AV Magearna dropped I had already weakened his team for a Excadrill sweep and my pelipper was still alive and kicking to weaken his team further just in case.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7oususpecttest-536139379
Versus Trick Room offense. Once I was able to sack Ferrothorn on his Reuniclus and then Zard Y to end the Trick room, Pelipper provided the wall breaking ability necessary kill Reuniclus. It then provided Rain for an eventual scarf Rotom sweep. I felt comfortable clicking hydro pump over Thunder because I didn't know if it was rock head or lightning rod Marowak, and I knew that drill + tar beat the rest of his team comfortably.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7oususpecttest-536149465
Finally versus standard stall. Unfortunately I didn't play Pelipper very well which is quite evident, however looking at my opponents team, Pelipper had a very very good matchup once Chansey was removed. All I had to do was pull double switches whenever necessary until my opponent realized that Ferrothorn beat what was left of his team and I guess he didn't want to sit through that.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7oususpecttest-536453553
In this replay I fought against more bulky offense, one of the best styles of the current metagame. I lead with Rotom as normal and managed to get the Hoopa into pursuit range from Tar despite losing my choice band. From there it became a race to get in Pelipper in as many times as possible. When his lando got up rocks, I felt a urge to click hurricane but I knew that he probably thought he out-sped allowing me to kill it. I feel that this replay exemplifies the raw strength of Pelipper. (the peli switch into fini was a misclick but it didn't change much).

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7oususpecttest-536072473
Here's a replay from a friend who helped me build this team. He was using slightly different sets with fire punch + ice punch tar with crunch and edge as well as quick attack pelipper "for killing pheromosa at 20%". Using Pelipper, he placed massive pressure on the opponents team allowing for certain double switches to be taken which wore him down for a driller sweep.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7oususpecttest-536517589
Fun replay which showcases shockwave in action around turn 15. ;)

Thanks.

EDIT 1: Spelling and grammar.

EDIT 2: Some more replays.

EDIT 3: Even more replays.

Last edited:
I don't really have a particularly solid replay for this one since I really don't feel like laddering on the suspect ladder atm but here's a set that has worked for me against stiffer competition.

Sub Bulk Up Buzzwole

Buzzwole @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Bulk Up
- Leech Life
- Rock Slide / Earthquake / Brick Break

This set is a little different from your standard SubPunch or 3 attacks Roost sets that Buzzwole usually runs. This Buzzwole is a solid mon that I usually add as a secondary wincon on teams that already put pressure on Heatran or Magearna.
It can set up on a surprisingly large number of physical attackers, like Excadrill, Landorus, or Zygarde, or support Pokemon, like Klefki or Ferrothorn. I've even set up on Z-Fly users before, because they don't break me if I Sub on their switch-in.

As I said before, I don't have any high-ladder or tournament replays because I forgot to save them, but this replay can at least show it in action.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7oususpecttest-536349729

Buzzwole comes in Turn 29 and does decent work, keeping himself healthy and nearly KOing Vaporeon before Roar stops him, but Turn 36 is where the real fun begins. I come in on Excadrill, and it's game over. Again, not the best replay, but it showcases this set's strengths well.

Wanting to run an AV mon in order to better manage Battle Bond Specs Greninja, here's a weird set I came up with...

Flame Charge AV Volcanion

Volcanion @ Assault Vest
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 96 Def / 128 SpA / 68 SpD / 216 Spe 160 HP / 128 SpA / 4 SpD / 216 Spe (provides slightly better bulk)
Naive Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Superpower
- Flame Charge

This set counters both Battle Bond and Protean Greninja on the proviso no rocks are up on your side and Battle Bond hasn't activated yet, and checks both if you do take SR damage. If Battle Bond has activated, then it will check Ash-Greninja after Stealth Rock damage locked into Dark Pulse. If it's locked into a Water Move, it's Flame Charge bait.

The EVs allow you to outspeed base Greninja after a Flame Charge, and then secure the KO guaranteed with Super Power on Specs Ninja and Steam Eruption/Fire Blast on Protean Greninja due to the Flame Charge chip damage. The Def EVs mean you can't be 2HKOed by LO Gunk Shot without Rocks, while the SpDef EVs save you from a 2HKO from Specs Greninja Dark Pulse before Battle Bond activates. These are however both worst case scenarios, most of the time you'll catch a different move and survive with more HP.

0 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Gunk Shot vs. 0 HP / 96 Def Volcanion: 126-149 (41.8 - 49.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Greninja Dark Pulse vs. 0 HP / 68- SpD Assault Vest Volcanion: 109-130 (36.2 - 43.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja Dark Pulse vs. 0 HP / 68- SpD Assault Vest Volcanion: 127-150 (42.1 - 49.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja-Ash Dark Pulse vs. 0 HP / 68- SpD Assault Vest Volcanion: 168-198 (55.8 - 65.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

0 Atk Volcanion Flame Charge vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Greninja: 40-48 (14 - 16.8%) -- possible 6HKO after Stealth Rock

Followed by for the 2HKO...

0 Atk Volcanion Superpower vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Greninja: 258-304 (90.5 - 106.6%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO

Against neutral Protean typing...

0 Atk Volcanion Flame Charge vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Greninja: 81-96 (28.4 - 33.6%) -- 0.2% chance to 3HKO
128 SpA Volcanion Steam Eruption vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Greninja: 219-258 (76.8 - 90.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

While it looks odd to have a SpDef reducing nature alongside SpDef EVs and an AV, if you were to take an Atk reducing nature instead you have to invest more heavily to retain the same level of attack than you do for SpDef. Naturally, you can move more out of SpAtk to produce a more comfortable margin of survival rather than a percent or two of HP left - but then you lose out on some other KOes.

AV in conjunction with Volcanion's good physical bulk mean that finding opportunities to squeak in a Flame Charge shouldn't be too troublesome, and once at the +1 Spe Volcanion threatens a bunch of top tier mons. Here's what it can do:

128 SpA Volcanion Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Metagross-Mega: 306-360 (101.6 - 119.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
128 SpA Volcanion Steam Eruption vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-Therian: 396-468 (124.1 - 146.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
128 SpA Volcanion Steam Eruption vs. 252 HP / 24 SpD Landorus-Therian: 386-456 (101 - 119.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
128 SpA Volcanion Fire Blast vs. 84 HP / 0 SpD Celesteela: 326-386 (91.5 - 108.4%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
128 SpA Volcanion Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Celesteela: 236-278 (59.2 - 69.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
128 SpA Volcanion Steam Eruption vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tapu Lele: 145-172 (51.6 - 61.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
128 SpA Volcanion Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 504-592 (143.1 - 168.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
128 SpA Volcanion Steam Eruption vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Heatran: 312-368 (96.5 - 113.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
128 SpA Volcanion Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Assault Vest Magearna: 194-230 (53.4 - 63.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
128 SpA Volcanion Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Tangrowth: 236-282 (58.4 - 69.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
128 SpA Volcanion Fire Blast vs. 160 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Bulu: 344-408 (107.1 - 127.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
128 SpA Volcanion Steam Eruption vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Charizard-Mega-X: 187-222 (62.9 - 74.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
128 SpA Volcanion Steam Eruption vs. 32 HP / 0 SpD Charizard-Mega-Y in Sun: 144-170 (47.2 - 55.7%) -- 73.8% chance to 2HKO
128 SpA Volcanion Steam Eruption vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Volcarona: 314-372 (100.9 - 119.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

etc.

Here's a rather lazy replay, showing it forcing out a Protean Greninja, I'll add another if I get a good one: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7oususpecttest-537790317

EDIT: Here's a better replay, where it hard-counters Greninja and sweeps 4/6 mons. I'm currently in the process of re-laddering, so if I get a higher and much better replay, I'll post it up. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-538407114

EDIT 2: Updated the HP spread to a better HP based one.

Last edited:

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Groundium Z Heatran

Heatran @ Groundium Z
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock

Alright so the normal "stallbreaker offensive" tran runs Grassium Z + Taunt. This set aims to work as a lure based on one of the more popular Heatran sets recently. Hidden Power Ice smacks Zygarde and Garchomp, which are being used more commonly to switch in to Heatran. Toxapex is also a pokemon that switches into Heatran a lot, and Tectonic Rage does a ton of damage depending on their spread. Now I know that the old set with Taunt + Earth Power still got the job done. However, you couldn't 1v1 Pex if you ran Stealth Rock, which you have the luxury of doing on this set and still winning that battle. So you can use revealing Stealth Rock as a lure to make your opponent think your Heatran can't beat Toxapex since it likely doesn't carry Taunt.

252 SpA Heatran Tectonic Rage (175 BP) vs. 252 HP / 24 SpD Toxapex: 276-326 (90.7 - 107.2%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO

Now I know a lot of Toxapex run more SpD these days, but here's what max looks like:

252 SpA Heatran Tectonic Rage (175 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Toxapex: 214-254 (70.3 - 83.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery

After a round of Stealth Rock and switching into Magma Storm, you're guaranteed the KO as long as you hit.

252 SpA Heatran Hidden Power Ice vs. 240 HP / 212+ SpD Zygarde: 204-244 (48.9 - 58.5%) -- 96.9% chance to 2HKO

252 SpA Heatran Hidden Power Ice vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 300-356 (83.7 - 99.4%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

I have a replay of this Heatran in action:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-541118753

Now, I'll admit one of the issues with this set is that it doesn't matchup as well against Tapu Fini. Tectonic Rage does 47% or so at max to Calm Tapu Fini. However, Tapu Fini is increasingly seen as risky to switch into Heatran, especially if its been confirmed you don't have Leftovers, as you could easily have Grassium Z especially with Magma Storm. Furthermore, as you see in the replay I paired this Heatran with Ferrothorn, which is a hazard setter that not only matches up better to Fini, but also pressures Heatran switch-ins better with Spikes damage.

Groundium Z Heatran

Heatran @ Groundium Z
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock

Alright so the normal "stallbreaker offensive" tran runs Grassium Z + Taunt. This set aims to work as a lure based on one of the more popular Heatran sets recently. Hidden Power Ice smacks Zygarde and Garchomp, which are being used more commonly to switch in to Heatran. Toxapex is also a pokemon that switches into Heatran a lot, and Tectonic Rage does a ton of damage depending on their spread. Now I know that the old set with Taunt + Earth Power still got the job done. However, you couldn't 1v1 Pex if you ran Stealth Rock, which you have the luxury of doing on this set and still winning that battle. So you can use revealing Stealth Rock as a lure to make your opponent think your Heatran can't beat Toxapex since it likely doesn't carry Taunt.

252 SpA Heatran Tectonic Rage (175 BP) vs. 252 HP / 24 SpD Toxapex: 276-326 (90.7 - 107.2%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO

Now I know a lot of Toxapex run more SpD these days, but here's what max looks like:

252 SpA Heatran Tectonic Rage (175 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Toxapex: 214-254 (70.3 - 83.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery

After a round of Stealth Rock and switching into Magma Storm, you're guaranteed the KO as long as you hit.

252 SpA Heatran Hidden Power Ice vs. 240 HP / 212+ SpD Zygarde: 204-244 (48.9 - 58.5%) -- 96.9% chance to 2HKO

252 SpA Heatran Hidden Power Ice vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 300-356 (83.7 - 99.4%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

I have a replay of this Heatran in action:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-541118753

Now, I'll admit one of the issues with this set is that it doesn't matchup as well against Tapu Fini. Tectonic Rage does 47% or so at max to Calm Tapu Fini. However, Tapu Fini is increasingly seen as risky to switch into Heatran, especially if its been confirmed you don't have Leftovers, as you could easily have Grassium Z especially with Magma Storm. Furthermore, as you see in the replay I paired this Heatran with Ferrothorn, which is a hazard setter that not only matches up better to Fini, but also pressures Heatran switch-ins better with Spikes damage.
Really cool set and nice replay. Interesting to see HP Ice on nonscarf Heatran. In addition to the targets you mentioned, it also prevents Salamence from using Heatran as setup fodder.
The only thing that annoys me is that this set cannot touch Chansey at all which you should mention in your description imo.

Really cool set and nice replay. Interesting to see HP Ice on nonscarf Heatran. In addition to the targets you mentioned, it also prevents Salamence from using Heatran as setup fodder.
The only thing that annoys me is that this set cannot touch Chansey at all which you should mention in your description imo.
Heatran struggles against Chansey anyway without Taunt+Magma Storm, so that should go without saying.

false

maybe this is heaven
is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a defending SPL Championis a defending SCL Champion

Zygarde @ Leftovers

EVs: 240 HP / 176 Atk / 36 SpD / 56 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Extreme Speed
- Substitute
- Coil

i haven't seen this set listed anywhere but i honestly think it's the best coil zygarde set to run if you're running extremespeed. 176 atk evs with an adamant hits a jump point, and enables zygarde to be much more immediately threatening, picking up ohkos and 2hkos in a number of useful scenarios:
  • 2hkos toxapex, so that it cannot attempt pp stall thousand arrows with the combiantion of haze and recover
  • +1 thousand arrows into +1 extremespeed ohkos offensive variants of landorus-t
  • +1 extremespeed ohkos pheromosa after stealth rock (81.3%)
  • +1 thousand arrows ohkos max hp magearna after stealth rock (93.8%)
  • +2 extremespeed ohkos weavile after stealth rock
  • +2 thousand arrows ohkos bronzong (87.5%)
the remaining evs are dumped into spd, allowing zygarde to sub vs slowbro and non-hp ice tangrowth. with max hp investment zygarde provides a lot of the same defensive utility, but the attack investment allows it to apply much more pressure to defensive pokemon, while also granting a much more powerful extremespeed to pick off offensive threats. i personally find this set to be generally much more consistent as a win condition, it ultimately ended up winning me the game in the replay below.

replay: ost r2 vs -snow

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)