SM UU Beta (Mewnium Z, Staraptor, Victini banned)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is just a shoutout to team rowlet, but decidueye made the cut to UU....

...so yeah how do you think it will impact UU, will it be niche or will it be quite a hoot?

Well everyone is complaining about hazard removal in this tier, and Decidueye has Defog, U-Turn, Roost, and strong special bulk, so I'm thinking that will be its main niche in UU.

Why Assault Vest over an offensive Synthesis set? You'd sacrifice U-turn but you can outstall lots of mons with trop kick + synthesis.

I also think Decidueye is bad because as a grass type it cannot touch hippo without a boost which is very annoying considering that thing doesn't have a ton of counters in the tier.

CBU

Banned deucer.
Why Assault Vest over an offensive Synthesis set? You'd sacrifice U-turn but you can outstall lots of mons with trop kick + synthesis.

I also think Decidueye is bad because as a grass type it cannot touch hippo without a boost which is very annoying considering that thing doesn't have a ton of counters in the tier.
Ho teams cannot utilize defog as an option cause they rely on hazards to apply pressure... this particular set was part of an ho team and i found it completely random to throw a wall together with 4 sweepers and a suicide lead. Also the fact u need to creep all variations of bisharp means u need to almost invest max speed and at that point might as well go all out offensive

Ho teams cannot utilize defog as an option cause they rely on hazards to apply pressure... this particular set was part of an ho team and i found it completely random to throw a wall together with 4 sweepers and a suicide lead. Also the fact u need to creep all variations of bisharp means u need to almost invest max speed and at that point might as well go all out offensive
Oh I didn't catch that it was HO. Your set makes perfect sense then yes.

Tsareena (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Queenly Majesty
EVs: 192 HP / 116 Atk / 132 SpD / 68 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Trop Kick
- High Jump Kick
- Synthesis
- Rapid Spin

I've used this spread before (in the beginning of non-bank OU as well) and it was pretty decent, fairly strong (1v1s klefki, empoleon, comfey with ease) and makes it hard for offensive teams to switch into this (if you bring a strong special attacker like raikou it takes a ton and can't touch you that well, and a strong physical attacker gets a free drop and gains you momentum even without u-turn).

The speed is for most bellydrum Azus of course and creeping random base 60s like the mentioned Empoleon

It REALLY hates scald burns however. Beats most rockers tho.

Last edited:
View attachment 76605
CherryCherryLady (Tsareena) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Queenly Majesty
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rapid Spin
- U-turn
- Trop Kick
- High Jump Kick​
ok i am back with more bad sets...i have played a lot on the ladder (stop playing mons and get a life) and i came to the conclusion that UU's rapid spinners suck ass. Dhelmise is pursuit fodder and has a garbage defensive typing, forretress has slim to none offensive presence and will never spin if the opponent has a ghost, mega blastoise forces the mega slot in a meta where mega aero and mega sharpedo are much better offensive options and tentacruel is a mediocre mon to begin with(not to mention it gets blown away by the immense physically oriented offense UU has rn). So what i did was give Tsareena a chance. The mon is not anything special but has the coverage to cause some actual damage between trop kick/hjk/play rough , not to mention its ability to grab momentum with u-turn. However, i think the selling point of this mon is its ability to nullify bisharp's and azu's sweeping capabilities cause they both get outsped and ohko'ed without being able to abuse their priority moves. Give cherry woman thing a chance (she does not deserve it, but neither do the rest of UU spinners).
What about Starmie? Weavile's ban helps it immensely, and it has significant (and flexible) offense. It can also run a good defensive set as well (someone posted these earlier in the thread). Certainly a cut above most of the other possible spinners in the tier.

Meru

ate them up
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion

Golisopod @ Choice Band
Ability: Emergency Exit
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Leech Life / X-Scissor
- Aqua Jet
- First Impression

I've been taking a liking to using this as a breaker on Volt-Turn teams. It can switch into Swampert, one of the major Volt Switch blockers who also troubles Choiced Victini sets. First Impression trails right behind Megahorn as the best physical Bug-type STAB and to my knowledge, is the strongest priority move in the game. Since this set is choiced, First Impression is meant more to punch holes and force switches but it has perks such as always forcing out Latias, Weavile while it was here, and doing considerable chip damage to many 2x resists. After First Impression and its other spammable STABs do enough work, you also have the option of Aqua Jet as late-game priority to clean.

Emergency Exit also helps Volt-Turn teams cleanly switch in your Volt-Turn users, and can be synchronized with your priority moves to get chip damage and switch advantage, giving it a lot of momentum. Admittedly, the ability can be very awkward and can turn into super lopsided prediction wars, but its kinda hard to deny the power of a free switch if you can pull it off.

Try it out over its sister Araquanid. Priority in general has been very good in this meta

Edit: Fixed thanks Euphonos could've won a game or two

Last edited:

Euphonos

inanod ng mga luha; damdamin ay lumaya.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus

Golisopod @ Choice Band
Ability: Emergency Exit
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Razor Shell
- Leech Life / X-Scissor
- Aqua Jet
- First Impression
Sorry to interrupt; but I'd like to note that Liquidation is much better than Razor Shell in terms of base power and accuracy.

Anyway, what are your thoughts on this one:

Vikavolt @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 80 HP / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Bug Buzz
- Energy Ball / Sleep Talk

I find this Pokemon another hidden gem worth trying in UU. While the tier is geared towards offensive teams which may render Vikavolt dead weight due to its slow Speed, Vikavolt's sufficient 77/90/75 bulk can help stomach some hits and deal monstrous damage afterward, just like Chandelure does. As I also see numerous balanced to bulky offensive archetypes in the tier lately, this Pokemon can truly shine against those teams.

CBU

Banned deucer.
What about Starmie? Weavile's ban helps it immensely, and it has significant (and flexible) offense. It can also run a good defensive set as well (someone posted these earlier in the thread). Certainly a cut above most of the other possible spinners in the tier.
Didnt even think about starmie tbh. In my team it wouldnt fir cause lo spin is beyond stupid but in a more balanced bulky settup starmie is definately a class above tsareena

(ban me)
Volcarona @ Leftovers / Passho Berry / Lum Berry
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spe or 248 HP / 208 Def / 52 Spe
Timid Nature or Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance
- Roost
- Giga Drain / Bug Buzz / Hidden Power [Electric]

So this just lost two of its best checks (dnite and mence) and it's even better now, its fire/bug typing, average defenses, good speed tie and Flame Body allows it to check Bisharp, Breloom, non-boosted Serperior, ect. With defense investement it can setup on currents mons like Latias, Scizor and other neutral special attackers like such as Gengar and Thundurus-T. Last move is filler, Giga Drain hits Water- and Rock-types that are current in the actual meta (Terrakion, Starmie and Keldeo), Bug Buzz's second STAB and HP Electric helps to pass Gyara and M-Aero (but needs +2 to outspeed the last one). Passho berry helps to setup on Water-types such as Starmie and tanks Keldeo Specs after +1, Band Azu (and Goli) can't revenge kill with Aqua Jet, Lum Berry to avoid randoms Toxic. I think this set has a better niche than Offensive Quiver Dance, because it can setup against current mons on the actual meta and also many times, but it lacks a third attack which can matter in some scenarios, it fits very well in BO paired with a Rapid Spinner. Investing more speed can be tried to outspeed m-aero at +1 (287 speed) but it won't beat anyway.

I really do think Kommo-O could become one of the stars in SuMo UU. It's got good stats everywhere apart from HP (and even that isn't terrible just meh), good typing and it's very versatile - it can run a lot of different sets and it can run them all well. Thanks to that it's one of the few Pokémon in the tier that can boast having no counters. Want to switch in your Doublade? Nope, Flamethrower 2HKOes unless it's running the suboptimal specially defensive spread (even then, 1 layer of spikes means it'll be 2HKOed most of the time.) What about Florges? Nope, Poison Jab and Flash Cannon can both 2HKO with Stealth Rock down. With Dragonite and Salamence gone, it's one of the tier's best Dragon Dancers - it has stronger STABs than Gyarados and isn't weak to Stealth Rock, can outrun Mega Aero at +1, and the only Choice Scarf user it fears is Staraptor. While it does face competition from the more powerful Hydreigon as a Special Attacker, Hydreigon is most of the time forced to run a Timid Nature to capitalise on its Speed tier, Kommo-o's perfectly happy running a Modest nature and it has space to invest in bulk if need be. Clanging Scales is also super spammable once the Fairy types are down, as no Steel type bar Doublade would risk switching into Kommo-o.

TL;DR - my predictions of this thing being great in UU are coming true.

I really do think Kommo-O could become one of the stars in SuMo UU. It's got good stats everywhere apart from HP (and even that isn't terrible just meh), good typing and it's very versatile - it can run a lot of different sets and it can run them all well. Thanks to that it's one of the few Pokémon in the tier that can boast having no counters. Want to switch in your Doublade? Nope, Flamethrower 2HKOes unless it's running the suboptimal specially defensive spread (even then, 1 layer of spikes means it'll be 2HKOed most of the time.) What about Florges? Nope, Poison Jab and Flash Cannon can both 2HKO with Stealth Rock down. With Dragonite and Salamence gone, it's one of the tier's best Dragon Dancers - it has stronger STABs than Gyarados and isn't weak to Stealth Rock, can outrun Mega Aero at +1, and the only Choice Scarf user it fears is Staraptor. While it does face competition from the more powerful Hydreigon as a Special Attacker, Hydreigon is most of the time forced to run a Timid Nature to capitalise on its Speed tier, Kommo-o's perfectly happy running a Modest nature and it has space to invest in bulk if need be. Clanging Scales is also super spammable once the Fairy types are down, as no Steel type bar Doublade would risk switching into Kommo-o.

TL;DR - my predictions of this thing being great in UU are coming true.
I have high hopes for Kommo-o, but I think we still have excellent DD users in Zydog and even Flygon. Zydog has priority and Thousand Arrows to spam while Flygon sits at a great speed tier where scarf Hydre can't check it. Add in Roost and U-Turn and it is pretty handy.

Personally I think Special sets are better, if you have Automize since at +2 and Modest Nature, it'll be difficult to check especially since Clanging Scales doesn't drop your sp attack. I do like Kommo-o for its abilities and bulk, but it does face competition still.

I've been disappointed by DD Flygon - I just found it too weak and fragile. I haven't seen Scarf Hydreigon much although I haven't got high on the ladder yet - I'm still at the place where people run completely random shit and call it innovation.

And so, in another shout-out to Gen 5 OU, Forretress and Starmie fight for the spot of best spinner in the tier. It is kinda poetic, in a way. Speaking of which, Forretress has been serving me well so far. Being the only one who can Spin and set up rocks other than... Donphan works wonders for its viability. Also, Gyro Ball haas surprising strength thanks to Forretress being insanely slow. Definitely one of the best utility mons of the metagame.

And so, in another shout-out to Gen 5 OU, Forretress and Starmie fight for the spot of best spinner in the tier. It is kinda poetic, in a way. Speaking of which, Forretress has been serving me well so far. Being the only one who can Spin and set up rocks other than... Donphan works wonders for its viability. Also, Gyro Ball haas surprising strength thanks to Forretress being insanely slow. Definitely one of the best utility mons of the metagame.
Don't forget Claydol and regular Sandslash.

Problem is that sandslash, claydol, and donphan do not take hits well in the UU beta metagame (why they are bad) Forretress can do spin, spikes, toxic spikes, pivot (volt switch), good role compression. Sandslash, Claydol, and Donphan probably survive 2 hits at most.

Problem is that sandslash, claydol, and donphan do not take hits well in the UU beta metagame (why they are bad) Forretress can do spin, spikes, toxic spikes, pivot (volt switch), good role compression. Sandslash, Claydol, and Donphan probably survive 2 hits at most.
I disagree with donphan there.. if hippowdon can take hits like a champ, why can't donphan? sure it dies due to lack of recovery, but its bulk is on that level

I disagree with donphan there.. if hippowdon can take hits like a champ, why can't donphan? sure it dies due to lack of recovery, but its bulk is on that level
Hippo takes the hits just as well regardless because it has better HP and special bulk, and its physical bulk is basically equal to Donphan's anyway (108/118/72 in Hippo's case and 90/120/60 for Donphan). Not to mention Hippo's recovery is really what makes it such a great wall. If it gets hit by a strong water/grass move most of the time it can recover that HP off that turn/next turn whereas Donphan gets killed next turn to the same move regardless of what you do with it (barring switches).

I disagree with donphan there.. if hippowdon can take hits like a champ, why can't donphan? sure it dies due to lack of recovery, but its bulk is on that level[/quote

Taking hits =/= walling. A wall is able to continuously take hits, which is something Hippo does really well. Donphan is more of a tank; It can shrug off one or two attacks, but it isn't able to continuously come in due to only having leftovers as it's best bet.

Killintime

Time not so well spent
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
I know my good friend GrilledClawitzer touched lightly upon this matter, but god damn:

Tornadus-Therian
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Taunt/superpower/Tailwind

• Honestly my biggest pet peeve originally with using this mon was always being forced to rely on that stupidly inaccurate stab in hurricane (can't tell you how many times I've missed like 4 of these in a row). I think it was dodmen that I first saw use it, and honestly I haven't been able to go back to the special set ever since. When I need it to check serp it will do so without having me cry at missing then getting hit by serps consecutive attacks after switching in to possible rocks. I think this became a rant on how salty I am about hurricane..anyways obviously this set means you don't have lo, AV, or whatever else item you people are running..(and it ain't no flying gem throwback), but it just has been a lot more successful with me especially in harassing teams with knock off+acro spam.
One last thing....

Jeez this thing is stupidly annoying to deal with.....

I've got to say I'm surprised not to see more mention of Serp. Balance and offense really have nothing for it besides Torn (well, I suppose there are a few more niche flying types like Crobat as well), and even then you have to beware Glare so switching in can be risky. You can obviously revenge with a few things as well, such as Aero-Mega, but honestly most of the things that revenge it have plenty of switch ins (except Torn, although SpDef Hippo is a common, decent counter) so you often have to double your Serp counter out to gain any real momentum. I would say Serp is probably tied in my mind with Volcarona for the most broken thing in the current meta.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)