SM UU Viability Ranking Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
I actually change my mind on Poliwrath and agree it should be unranked because of all the reasons mentioned above and an additional one:

Rest Talk Keldeo almost completely outclassed it, in exchange for the phasing move and Water immunity it is significantly stronger and faster and just as bulky.

Let's not exaggerate though guys, Rest Talk Curse Quagsire is not about to outclass Rest Talk Poliwrath because it only has access to one damaging move. Moreover Poliwrath enjoys a Water immunity that Quagsire does not and has better special bulk, these reasons indicate Poliwrath is distinct from Quagsire, perhaps not enough to get a ranking, but enough so that it's not 100% outclassed.

I don't feel like it's necessary for poliwrath to be ranked because it's niche is so specific that honestly it would probably cause confusion among the less experienced builders (like me honestly). There's a polite understanding in VRs that there are a few things that "Can Be Used I Guess" but aren't generally useful.

Nominating Jellicent up to B-

It is currently the best partner for any hazard stack team. It has arguably the best typing in the current tier for a defensive pokémon, being able to check fire, water, steel, bug, poison, ice and fighting types reliably.
Also, water absorb is really helpful as we have many offensive water attackers, namely Keldeo, Primarina, Sharpedo and Volcanion. It can check non-Z-solar beam Volcanions, which few pokes can do, is an amazing Keldeo counter and brings Will-O-wisp to fear any physical attacker.
I have done some experience with it and performed really well:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-563305364

Also, I wanna bring this minor nomination because I have commented on it before and believe that it has enough niche to be in our tier. I would really appreciate discussion on this one:
Nominating Espeon to get ranked at C-

I believe Magic Bounce is enough of a niche. Removing hazards became a lot harder this generation because defog users might be boosting a Bisharp, While rapid spinners still face ghost type issues. This means having a bouncer on your team can support your hazard remover while still being a fast pokémon around to take action.
Appart from that, it is into a fair speed tier, has access to recovery, decent movepool on Dazzling Gleam/Grass Knot/Shadow Ball and STABs.

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey guys, I'm back with another nomination involving the C+ rank, and this time it's:

Necrozma C+ --> C

Necrozma had a lot of hype at the start of gen 7; its stored power set looked fantastic on paper and it looked like a nice bulky rocker with t-wave. However, all of that hype has died down now and Necrozma's down in RU, forgotten by the tiers above. I'm going to address why this is the case and why Necrozma doesn't really have enough of a niche to qualify it for a C+ rank on the VRs.

On the Stealth Rock set:
Necrozma is really not a good stealth rock user in UU in the slightest. It's outclassed by most other stealth rock users in the tier, and the fact that even rocks mew outclasses it directly is telling, since rocks mew isn't a fantastic set either. Clefable also outclasses it as a user of stealth rock and thunder wave for bulky teams due to its superior typing and movepool.

On the Stored Power set:
Stored Power is probably one of the primary reasons Necrozma is as high as it is on the VRs. However, this set is still extremely flawed due to Necrozma's extremely flawed movepool. Its best recovery in moonlight/morning sun is neutered by the existence of Hippowdon and, to a lesser extent, Alolan Ninetales. Necrozma also lacks the coverage to reliably deal with the ever-present dark types in UU due to its lack of access to Hidden Power Fighting, and it has difficulty facing Psychic types because it cannot use Shadow Ball. Stored Power Necrozma also is susceptible to Toxic and phazing moves, and is more often than not shut down by them.

In conclusion, Necrozma is extremely subpar in UU currently. When comparing it to other C+ pokemon such as Jellicent and Ribombee, it fails to carve out a good niche to set it apart from other options. It is for these reasons that I think Necrozma deserves to drop to C, possibly even C- (Though I don't like nomming for things to drop more than one subrank).

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
OK, got a few noms I've been thinking about lately now that we're three weeks into UUPL...

KROOKODILE TO A+: Honestly if there's one really defining thing about the SM games in UUPL right now, it's that Scarf Krook runs this shit. It's just a hair behind Scizor in usage, and it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone: fast, strong Pursuit is deadly, Intimidate is a top 3 ability, and having a solid check to a lot of top threats like Raikou is always clutch. The only thing really holding it back is the prevalence of Clefable (though Clefable struggles against other less common sets like Z-Iron Tail or Band), but considering that its role is mostly as revenge killer and Pursuit trapper, I don't find this a terrible sacrifice. I think it deserves A+.

MEGA SHARPEDO TO A: Man Shark was so scary for a couple of weeks. I definitely still love this thing, and I still can't emphasize enough how great of a buff Psychic Fangs was for it, but... has anyone else noticed that it's just not as good lately? Bulky Scizor and Clefable are everywhere, and Bisharp and Cobalion are really common too. Other threats like Bewear and Conk have been seeing a bit of a resurgence recently too. One of the most common scarfers outspeeds and revenges it at +1. Intimidate Krook is way more popular these days, which downright counters Shark if Shark lacks Waterfall and neuters it otherwise. It's still a major threat and it'll cut through unprepared teams, but I don't think it's quite at the level of the rest of A+ atm.

GENGAR TO B+: This one hurts my soul. I love Gengar, but it's actually really hard to use right now. This will probably change if Scarf Krook becomes less popular, but between it and Pursuit Aero, there's such a good chance you're going to click Shadow Ball or Sludge Wave once and get murked by Pursuit. I mean seriously, in UUPL at the moment MAero usage is at 40% and Krook usage is at 33%, so that's a decent majority of games where Gengar is going to do nothing. Granted, tour usage stats can be a bit skewed, since trends pop up and settle down really quickly in tours like this, but until that changes I think the risks for Gengar outweigh a lot of the benefits.

And now for a more controversial nom...

NIDOKING TO A-: Yeah this is a huge jump, but I have been having such success with Nidoking lately. It basically never fails to put a ton of pressure on teams, with the ability to cover the entire meta in just three or four attacks and a really nice Speed for such a scary wallbreaker. Four attacks is literally impossible to switch into safely short of some fairly niche special walls like Blissey or Snorlax (and even then, watch Sacri v ABR to see what happens when you think you have a safe Nidoking switch). Against balanced teams, Substitute and Taunt can both put in a crazy amount of work too. It's a monster, and frankly I've had way more success with Nidoking lately than I have with A- staples like Gengar and Volcanion.

(Oh yeah MBlaster and Glisc should probably move up too but other people will talk about those I'm sure.)

Last edited:
OK, got a few noms I've been thinking about lately now that we're three weeks into UUPL...

KROOKODILE TO A+: Honestly if there's one really defining thing about the SM games in UUPL right now, it's that Scarf Krook runs this shit. It's just a hair behind Scizor in usage, and it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone: fast, strong Pursuit is deadly, Intimidate is a top 3 ability, and having a solid check to a lot of top threats like Raikou. The only thing really holding it back is the prevalence of Clefable (though Clefable struggles against other less common sets like Z-Iron Tail or Band), but considering that its role is mostly as revenge killer and Pursuit trapper, I don't find this a terrible sacrifice. I think it deserves A+.

MEGA SHARPEDO TO A: Man Shark was so scary for a couple of weeks. I definitely still love this thing, and I still can't emphasize enough how great of a buff Psychic Fangs was for it, but... has anyone else noticed that it's just not as good lately? Bulky Scizor and Clefable are everywhere, and Bisharp and Cobalion are really common too. Other threats like Bewear and Conk have been seeing a bit of a resurgence recently too. One of the most common scarfers outspeeds and revenges it at +1. Intimidate Krook is way more popular these days, which downright counters Shark if it lacks Waterfall and neuters it otherwise. It's still a major threat and it'll cut through unprepared teams, but I don't think it's quite at the level of the rest of A+ atm.

GENGAR TO B+: Man this one hurts my soul. I love Gengar, but it's actually really hard to use right now. This will probably change if Scarf Krook becomes less popular, but between it and Pursuit Aero, there's such a good chance you're going to click Shadow Ball or Sludge Wave once and get murked by Pursuit. I mean seriously, in UUPL at the moment MAero usage is at 40% and Krook usage is at 33%, so there's such a big chance Gengar is going to do nothing. Granted, tour usage stats can be a bit skewed, since trends pop up and settle down really quickly in tours like this, but until that changes I think the risks for Gengar outweigh a lot of the benefits.

And now for a more controversial nom...

NIDOKING TO A-: Yeah this is a huge jump, but I have been having such success with Nidoking lately. It basically never fails to put a ton of pressure on teams, with the ability to cover the entire meta in just three or four attacks and a really nice Speed for such a scary wallbreaker. Four attacks is literally impossible to switch into safely short of some fairly niche special walls like Blissey or Snorlax (and even then, watch Sacri v ABR to see what happens when you think you have a safe Nidoking switch). Against balanced teams, Substitute and Taunt can both put in a crazy amount of work too. It's a monster, and frankly I've had way more success with Nidoking lately than I have with A- staples like Gengar and Volcanion.

(Oh yeah MBlaster and Glisc should probably move up too but other people will talk about those I'm sure.)
How do you feel about Hydreigon to A?

(Filler text so it isn't a one liner)

Yah I kinda agree about the shark, with so many things nowadays that sort of just wall it or revenge kill it it really doesn't deserve to be in the same spot as Keldeo. The fact that it lacks any sort of bulk is really troubling to me tbh. I remember a mega sharpedo switching in on a Hydreigon Dark Pulse and having it do like half, like bloody hell.

PS. Love that comment formatting ;)

added:

Cofagrigus (C): Based on the Trick Room Nasty Plot set with Ghostium Z. Cofag has tons of opportunities to set up and nuke something, and checks a huge amount of physical attackers, such as Mega Aerodactyl and nearly every physical Fighting type, that makes it very useful for offense. +2 Never Ending Nightmare is enough to guarantee a kill for most teams, even KOing stuff like Krookodile and Hydreigon after rocks, and if Cofagrigus can't setup, it can just set Trick Room for a partner and fire off a strong Z move.
+2 252+ SpA Cofagrigus Never-Ending Nightmare (160 BP) vs. 252 HP / 176 SpD Hippowdon: 486-573 (115.7 - 136.4%)

+2 252+ SpA Cofagrigus Never-Ending Nightmare (160 BP) vs. +1 252 HP / 4 SpD Clefable: 336-396 (85.2 - 100.5%)

+2 252+ SpA Cofagrigus Never-Ending Nightmare (160 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Krookodile: 309-364 (93.3 - 109.9%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Omastar (C-): Tough to setup and rather weak, but Omastar has a niche as a Pokemon that can punish things like Mega Aero to get a +2 speed boost and respond with a strong Hydro Vortex, or attempt to set up and smash something with a boosted Z move. It's not terribly difficult to stop once boosted, since any priority, Scarf user, or bulky water will be able to revenge it, but it can still be good for some early game damage.

raises:

Conkeldurr (B- to B): Conkeldurr stands out from Bewear because it can be adapted to fit whatever its team needs. AV is a good check to Pokemon like Hydreigon and just a major annoyance for most bulky offense teams, while Flame Orb and Choice Band are more effective at just breaking through Pokemon like Mew and Clefable. Bewear can't switch in easily, especially because most of the Pokemon it checks carry Knock Off, and must lock into a move to get kills.

Jellicent (C+ to B-): Really good check to stuff like Scizor, Aerodactyl, Keldeo, even Clef, and threatens to cripple most offensive switchins besides like Hydreigon and Celebi with Wisp. Overall it can be difficult for defensive teams to play around it unless they pack a strong Pursuit user (i.e. not Aero or Scizor).

Hawlucha (C+ to B-): We're raising this because it's better than most of the Pokemon in C+ and can be difficult to stop when given a setup opportunity. It lacks raw power, but with some prior damage on stuff like Clefable, and then it can use its typing to setup on Pokemon like Krookodile, Cobalion, and Gliscor. See the last page for more discussion on Hawlucha.

Crawdaunt (C to B-): Crawdaunt is straight up one of the most effective wallbreakers in the tier and it's better than even most of the Pokemon in B-. Even if it only has one opportunity to fire off a move, it makes great use of it with an insane Hydro Vortex which even with a Jolly nature does upwards of 70% to bulky resists like Keldeo and Hydreigon and OHKO stuff like Cobalion and bulky Scizor after rocks. Crawdaunt also completely destroys stall since it OHKOes both Unaware Pokemon after either SR or one Knock Off.

Minior (C- to C): Not straight up garbage like the rest of C-.

drops:

Klefki (A to A-): Good Pokemon and excellent Spiker, just not up to the standards of A. Really strapped for moveslots and EVs (phys def struggles vs Lati/Hydreigon and SDef can't check Sharpedo at all) and lets in certain Pokemon for free like Gliscor.

Decidueye (B to B-): Not that effective anymore, too slow, too many weaknesses, and too many revenge killers.

Tsareena (B to C+): see the last page for discussion on this Pokemon.

Zygarde 10% (B+ to B): Simply not strong enough to do its job, and way too frail to come in more than once as well. Haven't seen anything with DD and Z moves from this Pokemon, so maybe that'll prove to be effective at some point, but otherwise I could see this dropping further in the future.

Forretress (B+ to B-): Can't reliably beat anything that a team's Steel-type should be able to, really only good on teams that desperately need spin but can't fit Mega Blastoise or Starmie due to stacking weaknesses or something.

Shiftry: Unranked.

Pearl

Romance は風のまま
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the 7th Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Champion
Since dodmen has decided to take over for this round of changes, I'll be posting the main discussion points for the next update this time around:

Latias - from A+ to S - Ever since people started steering away from Defog + Roost sets, Latias has emerged as one of the dominant forces in the metagame, thanks to its defensive utility, which allows it to soft check common threats such as Raikou, Keldeo, Volcanion and many Ground-types (that aren't Krookodile of course), as well as its versatility and offensive prowess, with sets such as Calm Mind + Z Thunder gaining traction as a way of luring common checks such as Empoleon (Z Draco Meteor can also be used as a catch-all nuke). Classics such as Calm Mind + 3 Attacks, Choice Specs and Choice Scarf also remain as viable as ever, and while hazard removal is often preferred on other Pokemon, Latias can also perform that role for teams in desperate need of role compression. All in all, Latias is a solid candidate for S Rank at the moment, and we'd like to know what you guys think about it.

Krookodile - from A to A+ - For this discussion point, please check Hogg's post above, as it sums up the idea very nicely.

Gliscor - from A- to A - As shown by UULT champion Kushalos and other UUPL players, Gliscor is arguably the biggest menace to slow paced teams at the moment, with both Swords Dance and Taunt (or Substitute!) + Toxic sets being able to dismantle commonly seen cores on balanced teams and forcing threats such as Mega Aerodactyl and Clefable to adapt to it. On top of that, it also checks threats such as Bisharp, Krookodile and Mew after its been poisoned by Toxic Orb, which is a big boon for the teams its commonly seen on.

Mega Blastoise - from B+ to A- - Mega Blastoise has some things going for it at the moment, including the fact that there aren't as many viable mega evolutions as there were in ORAS UU, as well as the rediscovery of the old gem known as Water Pulse, which allows Mega Blastoise to consistently damage most Clefable sets. Besides that, Blastoise stays pretty much the same Pokemon, with its ability to consistently remove entry hazards from the field being extremely beneficial to many teams. In spite of having to compete with Pokemon such as Starmie and Tentacruel for a slot, Mega Blastoise comes with a solid combination of offensive power and bulk, which is something that its fellow bulky Water-type Rapid Spin users are lacking on for the most part.

Talonflame - from B- to B - In spite of the fact that it moved up to B- recently, the Talonflame train seems to have no brakes, as both its offensive set and more defensively oriented versions of it has been seeing a respectable amount of usage in UUPL so far. The combination of Swords Dance, priority Supersonic Skystrike, Taunt and Roost (or Flare Blitz if required) allows Talonflame to usually guarantee at least one kill against standard Clefable teams, while its defensively inclined sets, in spite of not being as menacing, can be used to stop threats such as the aforementioned Clefable, Fighting-types such as Cobalion and Conkeldurr and even some strong Knock Off users such as Bisharp. All in all, Talonflame's niche seems to have become even more valuable than before, and that's why this nomination is being made.

Snorlax - from C+ to B- - Although its traditional sets have fallen out of flavor in a way, Snorlax can now use Gluttony in tandem with a pinch berry in order to have a semi reliable way of recovering HP, which can be lethal against teams that rely on forcing Snorlax to Rest in order to deal with it. A Curse set with Recycle, Facade (note: Return can be used in this slot if the team has cleric support) and Fire Punch is something I've had success with in both UULT and HPL (and Lord Esche also used it in the semifinals of Neon Colosseum). In my opinion, this is good enough to bump Snorlax up, as this set was totally unheard of when we originally ranked Snorlax.

Alolan Persian - from C- to C - Alolan Persian has one of the most unique niches in UU as the fastest user of Parting Shot, a move that allows it to immediately gain momentum for its team once it hits the battlefield, which helps it supporting a vast range of Pokemon, including hazard setters, set up sweepers and hard hitters, with the only real downside being the bad match up against Defiant Bisharp. On top of that, the combination of Fur Coat and its typing allows it to be used as a pivot against a reasonable amount of common threats, such as Krookodile, Mega Aerodactyl, Mega Sharpedo and Mega Absol. For reference, the set I run on it is Choice Scarf with Parting Shot, Switcheroo, Foul Play and either Taunt or Toxic, but Z Parting Shot is also a viablle alternative if there's no other viable Z move user on the team.

Starmie - from A to A- - Although it is an offensive menace, Starmie's defensive Rapid Spin set is usually performed better by Tentacruel, while offensive variants are pretty hard to fit onto teams due to their low defensive value. Rapid Spin aside, bulkier teams usually benefit more from offensive Water-types such as Primarina, Volcanion or Keldeo, which bring more to the table than just raw power, with hyper offense being the only playstyle which values Starmie's combination of speed, Rapid Spin and ability to pressure switch ins more than the utility brought by the aforementioned Water-types.

Gengar - from A- to B+ - Similarly to Starmie, Gengar is an offensive powerhouse that suffers from the prevalence of counterplay to its most deadly sets, with Choice Scarf Krookodile, Bisharp and offensive variants of Scizor being extremely common sights in UU. It remains strong and threatening, but it's also pretty tricky to support and fit onto teams in general.

Magneton - from B+ to B - Although the ability to trap and remove Scizor from the game remains huge for some teams, the truth is that Magneton is pretty awkward to build with, and unless it is paired with an Eject Button user, it might not even be able to perform its role consistently. Aside from that, other Steel-type Pokemon can be pretty tricky for Magneton to deal with, as Bisharp speed ties with it (and can remove it with Sucker Punch after some prior damage), Empoleon doesn't drop to a Choice Specs-boosted Thunderbolt from full and Klefki still sets up hazards on it. All in all, Magneton's niche is still appreciated, but it has lost a ton of value as the metagame evolved.

Last edited:
I support Talonflame to move up to B

While I haven't used the bulky sets all that much, I've been using Z Move Talonflame for a while now, and it has been pulling its wieght in almost every match I have played. Most teams use thing like Aerodactyl as their flying resist, which still takes a shit ton from boosted SSSS, and against teams that rely on things like Clefable, Gliscor, or Hippowdon to take care of Flying Types, Taunt Talonflame just turns these things into complete setup fodder, which never stops being hilarious, and it can quickly get out of hand, as Talonflame starts weakening the opposing team for another sweeper. In general, a lot of teams have to sack something to this, since most Flying resists outside of niche rock types like Gigalith struggle to actually switch into this thing. The fact that it baits in and either maims or takes out checks for many dangerous sweepers like Scizor, Bisharp, and Aerodactyl make it surprisingly easy to fit on many offensive teams, and in general I think Talonflame is more than good enough for B, especially since even without Gale Wings, it is still faster than most of the tier.

I'll post more about some of the discussion points later, once I finally get home on Sunday.

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Yeah Talonflame has definitely gotten better, if you watch any UUPL replay its clear that its niche abilities, high speed tier, and overall Teambuilding ease allow it to be a solid partner with a variety of roles. Z-brave bird is also insane, even from that average attack.

Guess i'l try to restate my previous nomination- M-blastoise does really well as an antimeta threat and beats out m-aero, sciz, or everyone in a+ except keld. It being the only mega that can be seen as bulky is also a plus for lack of competition, and has a niche as a spinner that can has major offensive presence. being able to blanket check all ground types is nice, especially for rising mons like krook. uninvested lati cannot switch in at all
252+ SpA Mega Launcher Blastoise-Mega Dark Pulse vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Latias: 236-278 (78.4 - 92.3%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
and bulkier sets cannot do enough damage to avoid getting 2hitkoed unless blast is heavily weakened. Only thing holding blastoise back is lack of recovery and heavily worn down by tox, causing it to not spin as reliably as some other bulky water spinners. Deserves to move to A-

Guess i'l try to restate my previous nomination- M-blastoise does really well as an antimeta threat and beats out m-aero, sciz, or everyone in a+ except keld. It being the only mega that can be seen as bulky is also a plus for lack of competition, and has a niche as a spinner that can has major offensive presence. being able to blanket check all ground types is nice, especially for rising mons like krook. uninvested lati cannot switch in at all
252+ SpA Mega Launcher Blastoise-Mega Dark Pulse vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Latias: 236-278 (78.4 - 92.3%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
and bulkier sets cannot do enough damage to avoid getting 2hitkoed unless blast is heavily weakened. Only thing holding blastoise back is lack of recovery and heavily worn down by tox, causing it to not spin as reliably as some other bulky water spinners. Deserves to move to A-
I agree with you, but Keldeo and Raikou can beat this thing out, and Dark Pulse doesn't really hurt Keldeo because of Justified. I say Blastoise-M gets the upgrade, but no other upgrades due to things that it is KOed by.
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Secret Sword vs. 184 HP / 0 Def Blastoise-Mega: 178-210 (51.5 - 60.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO.

Natan

is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I agree with you, but Keldeo and Raikou can beat this thing out, and Dark Pulse doesn't really hurt Keldeo because of Justified. I say Blastoise-M gets the upgrade, but no other upgrades due to things that it is KOed by.
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Secret Sword vs. 184 HP / 0 Def Blastoise-Mega: 178-210 (51.5 - 60.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO.
Just pointing out that Justified doesn't weaken Dark-type moves, thanks to Mega Launcher, Dark Pulse deals as much as Scald, Keldeo is just bulky enough to take this move with ease

Latias should really go to S. Its offensive version can kill every pokemon from Gengar, to Keldeo. It can Wall hits from Arcanine, Keldeo, Raikou and Sun teams with Solar Beam. The defensive sets can break stall, and its only problem is calm mind Clefable, and roost can add to defensive sets of this guy with defog.
Calcs to prove it:
252 SpA Life Orb Latias Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Aerodactyl: 309-367 (102.6 - 121.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Latias Psyshock vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 330-393 (102.1 - 121.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Latias Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Raikou: 243-289 (75.7 - 90%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Latias Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Sharpedo-Mega: 347-409 (123.4 - 145.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Latias from A+ to S rank is a Disagree for me - Let me just start out by saying that if Latias goes to S rank that I actually won't really mind all that much so it's not a complete disagree from me (bit of a half-ass disagree). The problem I have with Latias going to S rank is how it can set up bait sometimes for Bisharp, Scizor, and Clefable (huge threats in the tier). But I will say that, +1 Z Draco is an awesome nuke to pull off and although it's in a crowded speed tier, it has enough bulk (and decent typing with levitate) to pull it off a good amount of the time on the Z.C.M. set. Choice sets leave it pursuit bait by the way (because oh yeah, these sets are as viable as ever even though you just said that popular pursuit trappers have given Gengar hell in UUPL).

Gliscor from from A- to A rank is an Agree for me - Gliscor is quite the over centralizing threat that forces certain mons like Mega Aero, Raikou, and Nido(her)King/Queen, to run S.E. moves for it so they don't become set up bait for it. I will say that although it's very flexible with it's sets and bulk, it's flexibility can be easily exploited as if someone is running a lure and catches the Gliscor, you're going to feel like you lost out on a lot of momentum especially if Gliscor was your way of handling a certain threat on the opposing team. Not to mention it's a great status absorber, which something that other top threats can't do.

Mega Blastoise from B+ to A- rank is an Agree for me - Mega Blastoise is an all around great blanket check for over half of the tier. It's great power and bulk make up for it's lack of recovery as a rapid spinner (which is a great niche that Tsareena has as a spinner). With wish support, Mega Blastoise becomes an immediate threat that can consistently get rid of hazards while still being able to handle top threats.

Talonflame from B- to B rank is an Agree for me - Talonflame is a great a double nuke for taking care of scarfers and set up sweepers. It's also great at handling walls that don't appreciate a combination of taunt + S.S.B.B. (not Super Smash Bros. Brawl). It's consistency is lacking due to being weak to rocks and requiring a good amount of support for Gale Wings sets. I will say that Talonflame is easily the best revenge killer on the right teams.

Also, it's nice to be back UU. Hello.

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Re: Pursuit and Latias versus Gengar, I think it's a bit unfair to compare them. Latias at least provides some counterplay, as the two most common Pursuit trappers don't actually KO with Pursuit if Latias stays in and both get nuked by Draco. MAero in particular is way less of a problem for Lati than for Gar. Scarf Krook obviously still gives Latias problems, and means choice versions have to pretty much avoid clicking Psychic all game, but even then it's still better off than Gengar, who invites Krook in with both of its STABs and has to try to lure it in with the ever-unreliable Focus Blast on the switch to have a chance of beating it.

Not saying that everything is rosy for Choice Lati in particular, but Scarf Krook/MAero's prevalence is not quite as problematic for it as it is for Gengar.

I also have mixed feelings about Latias rising, for what it's worth, but I do agree with Pearl that the CM + Z Move sets give it a ton of flexibility (and as an added bonus, gives it even more of a defense against Scarf Krook, who no longer KOs with Knock if Lati stays in).

Re: Pursuit and Latias versus Gengar, I think it's a bit unfair to compare them. Latias at least provides some counterplay, as the two most common Pursuit trappers don't actually KO with Pursuit if Latias stays in and both get nuked by Draco. MAero in particular is way less of a problem for Lati than for Gar. Scarf Krook obviously still gives Latias problems, and means choice versions have to pretty much avoid clicking Psychic all game, but even then it's still better off than Gengar, who invites Krook in with both of its STABs and has to try to lure it in with the ever-unreliable Focus Blast on the switch to have a chance of beating it.

Not saying that everything is rosy for Choice Lati in particular, but Scarf Krook/MAero's prevalence is not quite as problematic for it as it is for Gengar.

I also have mixed feelings about Latias rising, for what it's worth, but I do agree with Pearl that the CM + Z Move sets give it a ton of flexibility (and as an added bonus, gives it even more of a defense against Scarf Krook, who no longer KOs with Knock if Lati stays in).
Yeah, you're right, in a 1v1 situation Choice Latias does have counterplay options against Krookodile and M-Aero but, in a revenge kill scenario Choice Latias doesn't have as many options anymore against them; especially Krookodile and M-Aero under sand if sand is up. I should of been more specific in my first post by stating that I wasn't really comparing Gengar and Latias but rather I was stating that Latias would naturally have tough time with the pursuit trappers too, just to a lesser extent.
To put more emphasis on my disagreement with Latias rising to S rank; why would now seem like the best time for Latias to go to S rank if Mega-Aero (pursuit) + Krookodile, Bisharp, Scizor, and Clefable are running around everywhere?

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, you're right, in a 1v1 situation Choice Latias does have counterplay options against Krookodile and M-Aero but, in a revenge kill scenario Choice Latias doesn't have as many options anymore against them; especially Krookodile and M-Aero under sand if sand is up. I should of been more specific in my first post by stating that I wasn't really comparing Gengar and Latias but rather I was stating that Latias would naturally have tough time with the pursuit trappers too, just to a lesser extent.
To put more emphasis on my disagreement with Latias rising to S rank; why would now seem like the best time for Latias to go to S rank if Mega-Aero (pursuit) + Krookodile, Bisharp, Scizor, and Clefable are running around everywhere?
Because regardless of those mons you listed, Latias will pretty much always accomplish something regardless of its role on your team. It needs no support to accomplish what it needs to, and the reason people run stuff like scarf Krook in the first place is to take out things like Latias. S rank Pokémon are Pokémon that dominate trends and innovation in the meta, forcing people to generally prepare for them in some form. I really feel that this defines Latias pretty well right now.

Being likely one of the few Tsareena users here, I can say that it is by no means C+ material. There isn't a lot to say that Hilomilo hasn't already said but I'll try my best. I think pretty poor reasoning was given for its drop, Gengar is falling and Chandelure isn't that good anymore, which is certainly in its favor. People say that it's outclassed by Tentacruel and Forretress, but this is false. For one, Tsareena's longevity is much better than that of Tentacruel, Forretress, and Mega Blastoise thanks to Synthesis. It also has Aromatherapy to cure the status of both itself and its teammates. Trop Kick is also a really good move, which allows it to at least cripple Doublade, Infernape, Cobalion, Scizor, and Mega Aerodactyl. People say that Tsareena is more passive than Tentacruel and Forretress but it's the other way around because of this. Also it's the only defensive spinner that completely beats Krookodile, which has been rising lately. Not one person that nominated Tsareena to drop bothered to acknowledge any of its merits. I firmly believe that Tsareena should go back up to B. Things like Togekiss and Bisharp are why it wasn't already higher than that. Sorry if I'm sounding rude but honesty is the best policy.

i think the part of the reason its not favored as much as a spinner is bc it loses 1v1 to a lot of hazard setters
to list a few:
clef if its running stealth rock can also CM up alongside it, or cripple it with a status move/knock off
cobalion can SD up against trop kicks
hippowdown can toxic and just slack off stall unless its like band tsareena
Krook loses sure
mew can run a lot of shit so tsareena probs loses in the long run
gliscor can u-turn out for momentum
klefki has toxic (which doesn't work if u have the priority immunity ability)
it beats swampert
loses to infernape
tentacruel would status it most of the time i think
nidos beat it

i cite status as a big factor, bc if ur running aromatherapy mono grass attack is just far too passive against a lot of threats in the tier
tsareenas average bulk and not so gr8 grass typing also doesn't let it counter/check too many threats relative to tentacruel or fortress for ex

synthesis is a great advantage it has over other spinners, so you could potentially outlast opposing hazard setters, but against more offensive teams ur just inviting in too many threats for free

Last edited:
i think the part of the reason its not favored as much as a spinner is bc it loses 1v1 to a lot of hazard setters
to list a few:
clef if its running stealth rock can also CM up alongside it, or cripple it with a status move/knock off
cobalion can SD up against trop kicks
hippowdown can toxic and just slack off stall unless its like band tsareena
Krook loses sure
mew can run a lot of shit so tsareena probs loses in the long run
gliscor can u-turn out for momentum
klefki has toxic (which doesn't work if u have the priority immunity ability)
it beats swampert
loses to infernape
tentacruel would status it most of the time i think
nidos beat it

i cite status as a big factor, bc if ur running aromatherapy mono grass attack is just far too passive against a lot of threats in the tier
tsareenas average bulk and not so gr8 grass typing also doesn't let it counter/check too many threats relative to tentacruel or fortress for ex

synthesis is a great advantage it has over other spinners, so you could potentially outlast opposing hazard setters, but against more offensive teams ur just inviting in too many threats for free
Tsareena has Aromatherapy since both Tsareena and Hippowdon have recovery and since Tsareena can actually attack Hippowdon while Hippowdon attacking Tsareena would be piss weak because of the Trop Kick attack lowers, Tsareena would win in the long run. Only Utility Gliscor commonly runs U-turn. Klefki can't hit Tsareena with Toxic thanks to Queenly Majesty and it can cripple Infernape with Trop Kick. Aromatherapy may make it a little more passive but Tentacruel and Forretress still aren't much better in that regard. Some of the things that you mentioned can beat it but it's not like I'm nominating Tsareena to A+, B is still a somewhat low rank.

Tsareena should probably stay B- or B rank in my opinion. I've stopped running trop kick on it because it just doesn't do enough damage, even to things it's supposed to beat such as Keldeo or Krookodile. I've actually been running High Jump Kick over Trop Kick because the damage, STAB Trop Kick < HJK (105<130), for neutral hits. HJK also lures in Bisharp for a surprise OHKO and severely hurts a few other mons such as Cobalion, Blissey, and Magneton, which otherwise don't care about Tsareena normally. Tsareena's slow U-turn makes it a useful momentum grabber too. Downside to HJK is that missing it costs half a life at best and does not hit targets weak to trop kick harder apart from a handful also weak to fighting coverage such as Krookodile. I think Tsareena has its pros and cons like anything else. I think it should be given more merit for the roles it can perform but I don't think it should be put above B rank. Decidueye from my experience can be used for defog support. It has a slow u-turn to grab momentum, reliable recovery via roost, unique coverage options as well as being able to potentially trap pokemon. Potentially, U-turn+Spirit Shackle offer a way for Decidueye to trap something and u-turn out to bring in a check safely. You could argue that it's a spin blocker, but I don't see the point in that when defog gets rid of all hazards on the field. It has fair versatility in the different sets it could run. All in all there are better options than Decidueye for hazard control, but it does have positive aspects most defoggers typically want (neutral to rocks, reliable recovery, extra ways to provide team support) I'd put this specific role for Decidueye at C+/B-.

I'm honestly very surprised to see so little talk about Volcanion. I honestly say it belongs at A/A+ rather than A-. 80/120/90 bulk is really nice to have. Its movepool offers fantastic coverage overall. Specs Volcanion does not have many counters; even resisted STAB from specs Volcanion can be difficult to handle. (see a few calcs below) Volcanion's unique typing grants it a plethora of useful resistances: Fire, Fairy, Steel, Bug, Ice, and Water. Neutrality to Fighting, Grass, and Dark further benefit this monster as it can typically swallow a hit and fire back for heavy damage. Even though Fire/Water leaves Volcanion weak to ground and electric, there are virtually no pokemon of either typing able to safely switch into Volcanion's attacks (this applies even more for the common UU meta atm). Volcanion is far from being a one-trick pony too. Z Moves essentially allow Volcanion to decimate whatever ends up in front of it whilst not locking Volcanion into a move. (There is also an interesting option in Z Haze, which brings Volcanion back to full HP and clears all current stat changes. Though I have not tried Z Haze personally, I have seen Z Haze before in OU on Tapu Fini. It's an interesting option since Volcanion lacks reliable recovery and Z Haze grants a one time full recovery.) Volcanion is able to use Assault Vest, allowing it to function more as a bulky tank. Volcanion has its flaws in low speed and "few" alternative sets. "Few" meaning you can expect dual STAB, Earth Power, and Sludge Bomb/Wave on pretty much any Volcanion, 95% likely will run specs, and so on. Even so, Volcanion's positive traits outweigh its negatives. I also want to point out that Volcanion may easily have its EV spread customized depending of team needs and personal preferences. Offensive teams in general shouldn't have too much trouble with Volcanion; yet, due to how naturally bulky Volcanion is in addition to its useful resistances and water immunity, offensive teams can still find Volcanion somewhat problematic. I encourage people to use this legendary pokemon and experiment with it a bit because it definitely deserves some more attention than what I've been seeing. Volcanion should probably be A rank imo.

Volcanion @ Choice Specs

Ability: Water Absorb

EVs: 112 HP / 252 SpA / 144 Spe

Modest Nature

IVs: 0 Atk

- Steam Eruption

- Flamethrower

- Earth Power

- Sleep Talk

Above is the Volcanion set that I enjoy using the most and will be used in these calcs. Superpower or Sludge Bomb/Wave is an option over sleep talk. Sleep Talk is to take sleep status clearly. Fire Blast is viable over flamethrower. Speed EVs outpace Adamant Crawdaunt and some Mega Blastoise that run 210 speed for the same purpose. Everything else makes it fatter while the HP hits an odd number for rocks. Again, Volcanion has a very customizable EV spread.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Steam Eruption vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Blissey: 228-268 (31.9 - 37.5%) -- 0% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

91.1% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

(This calc surprised the crap out of me when I saw it)

252+ SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Steam Eruption vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tsareena: 150-177 (43.1 - 50.8%) -- 55.9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

(Tsareena has a fairly customizable EV spread, Fire STAB always OHKOs obviously. Tsareena can’t always swap in easily to resisted STAB though.)

252 Atk Krookodile Earthquake vs. 112 HP / 0 Def Volcanion: 260-308 (79 - 93.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

(Volcanion’s STAB OHKOs from full.)

252+ SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Steam Eruption vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Primarina: 130-153 (43.1 - 50.8%) -- 3.9% chance to 2HKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Steam Eruption vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Primarina: 130-153 (43.1 - 50.8%) -- 98% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Earth Power vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Primarina: 142-168 (47.1 - 55.8%) -- 78.5% chance to 2HKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Sludge Bomb vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Primarina: 284-336 (94.3 - 111.6%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Primarina Psychic vs. 112 HP / 0 SpD Volcanion: 158-186 (48 - 56.5%) -- 86.7% chance to 2HKO

252 SpA Hydreigon Dark Pulse vs. 112 HP / 0 SpD Volcanion: 139-165 (42.2 - 50.1%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO

252 SpA Hydreigon Draco Meteor vs. 112 HP / 0 SpD Volcanion: 226-267 (68.6 - 81.1%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252+ SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Flamethrower vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Hydreigon: 131-155 (40.3 - 47.6%) -- 55.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Steam Eruption vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Hydreigon: 161-189 (49.5 - 58.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Volcanion can check Hydreigon if Hydreigon has used Draco Meteor prior to Volcanion coming into battle given it’s healthy enough.

252 SpA Soul Dew Latias Draco Meteor vs. 112 HP / 0 SpD Volcanion: 247-292 (75 - 88.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

252+ SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Steam Eruption vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Latias: 117-138 (38.8 - 45.8%) -- 19.9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

So it gets worn down quickly if it tries to counter Volcanion according to the calc here.

252 Atk Aerodactyl-Mega Stone Edge vs. 112 HP / 0 Def Volcanion: 288-342 (87.5 - 103.9%) -- 25% chance to OHKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Aerodactyl-Mega: 153-181 (50.8 - 60.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Steam Eruption vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Aerodactyl-Mega: 614-726 (203.9 - 241.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

I find it insane that it kills 2 Mega Aerodactyls in one hit

252+ Atk Strong Jaw Sharpedo-Mega Crunch vs. 112 HP / 0 Def Volcanion: 195-229 (59.2 - 69.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Flamethrower vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Sharpedo-Mega: 171-201 (60.8 - 71.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Steam Eruption vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Sharpedo-Mega: 208-246 (74 - 87.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hidden Power Electric vs. 112 HP / 0 SpD Volcanion: 214-252 (65 - 76.5%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252+ SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Steam Eruption vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Keldeo: 161-190 (49.8 - 58.8%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Flamethrower vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Keldeo: 132-156 (40.8 - 48.2%) -- 6.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Flamethrower vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Keldeo: 132-156 (40.8 - 48.2%) -- 66% chance to 2HKO after 1 layer of Spikes

There really just are not any counters to Volcanion in the tier. Yeah it isn’t going to be able to kill everything because it’s slow, but it punches gigantic holes into teams of any composition and is able to check a number of offensive threats and remove them even if it means Volcanion has to sack itself off for the team. Just to show off Volcanion a little, here are a few replays below.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-561987081
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-566111051
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-561773169

Tsareena has Aromatherapy since both Tsareena and Hippowdon have recovery and since Tsareena can actually attack Hippowdon while Hippowdon attacking Tsareena would be piss weak because of the Trop Kick attack lowers, Tsareena would win in the long run. Only Utility Gliscor commonly runs U-turn. Klefki can't hit Tsareena with Toxic thanks to Queenly Majesty and it can cripple Infernape with Trop Kick. Aromatherapy may make it a little more passive but Tentacruel and Forretress still aren't much better in that regard. Some of the things that you mentioned can beat it but it's not like I'm nominating Tsareena to A+, B is still a somewhat low rank.
bc im procrastinating:

vs hippowdown
you come in on stealth rock
you spin they toxic
you aroma they sr
etc (ignoring trop kick vs slack off as those turns essentially cancel out, even with like mind games or whatever)
eventually u run out of aromatherapies, and since ur faster, hippo gets the SR up as u die to toxic

only utility gliscor runs SR whats ur point (they can also run toxic) (or SD) ( i was just stating the less obvious U-turn) point is they gain momentum vs tsareena

forgot about the ability for klefki

infernape:
you come in on the SR
they roast u as u try to spin
they SR again as u trop kick? synthesis?
like u lose this one lmao unless u lead tsareena vs infernape, and in that case they just roast u like idgi

im not saying tsareena is garbage, but it honestly fits better amongst like arcanine/chandy/ rest of C+ tier, as a hazard remover with a niche but like noticeable flaws.
as a rapid spinner its one of the worse ones, as a hazard remover same, as a grass type its like not that bulky or strong
role compression wise its gr8 but like thats about it.

i suppose u can run some kinda band set to surprise people but that makes it way less reliable in terms of spinning so
(granted it looks like its one of the strongest physical grass types, but its stab move is 70bp so)

ON ANOTHER NOTE

agree with Lati and gliscor rising, lati's versatility in terms of what it can offer to a team is 11/10, and its actually good at like most of its many different sets variations.
gliscor is an amazing balance breaker, as its survivability is nearly unmatched and SD turns it quickly into a huge threat against slower balanced kinda teams. vs stall its a lot more matchup based, as it depends on what the 4th move is after SD,roost,EQ.

also agree with the snorlax nom, it basically has reliable recovery now in exchange for no lefties
condensing rest/talk into one moveslot also allows curse lax to finally not have to run mono-normal coverage

unsure about starmie, as it can run a bulky set of reflect type, scald, recover and spin to have better matchups vs certain switchins, but thinking about it thats limited only to like scizor and bisharp and maybe some others.

Last edited:
I think Krookodile should move to A+

First of all it is a bulky pursuit user, you really cant ask for more in this tier. It's fast and strong, something it has over other pursuiters which may be strong but slow, or fast but weak, etc.

Secondly, it has a great typing for this meta. Ground covers a lot of bases, specifically electric types which are taking over the meta. It can get past its dark type weaknesses by running z iron tail, and the dark typing itself has proven itself to be amazing as evident by the fact that everything uses colbur. It has no immunites, so you can just spam knock off and sweep late game.

Thirdly, it deals with physical threats very well. With intimidate, you can pivot in on some threats and force them out, and the best set in my opinion, the scarf set, makes a great catch all check to all the set up sweepers of the tier like cobalion, pretty much everything that relies on sucker punch, terrakion, etc. I think the scarf set makes it the best scarfer in the tier, which is mainly my basis for wanting it to go to A+

Amane Misa

Bring Them Home Now!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
C- > At least C+

Honchkrow is one scary bird. It has a unique typing which is really good offensively (and an immunity to Prankster), high 125 base attack, usable 105 base special attack and below average speed at 71 base speed.

If you know me enough, you saw me using Honchkrow quite a lot lately and know that I have RMT'd a pretty successful team featured Honchkrow. Frankly, the krow doesn't deserve C-. It has a powerful STAB in Brave Bird, a STAB priority in Sucker Punch and a lot of coverage that with again, a usable special attack: Superpower, Icy Wind and Heat Wave.
On top of that, its ability, Moxie, is an ability every sweeper wishes it got.

While not being the best sweeper or balance breaker, Honchkrow does indeed have its niche - arguably one of the best partners to the common Bisharp and Scizor. They both appreciate Honchkrow weakening faster Fighting types such as Keldeo and vice-versa.

You even say Honchkrow is one-dimensional. Let me prove to you it isn't. I tried two sets, which I think are the best ones:

1) All-out Attacker: An early game breaking/balance breaking set. It reaches benchmarks every physical attacker wishes it got - from 2HKOing max defense Clefable to 2HKOing mixed defensive Hippowdon (Hippowdon's most common set).

Honchkrow @ Life Orb
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Brave Bird
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit / Superpower
- Superpower / Heat Wave / Icy Wind

252+ Atk Life Orb Honchkrow Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 239-282 (60.6 - 71.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Life Orb Honchkrow Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 80+ Def Hippowdon: 200-238 (47.6 - 56.6%) -- 85.9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

0 SpA Life Orb Honchkrow Heat Wave vs. 248 HP / 136 SpD Scizor: 380-452 (110.7 - 131.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

0 SpA Life Orb Honchkrow Icy Wind vs. 244 HP / 200+ SpD Gliscor: 198-234 (56.2 - 66.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Poison Heal

252+ Atk Life Orb Honchkrow Superpower vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Empoleon: 406-478 (109.4 - 128.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

2) Z-Mirror Move: Ok, this thing is so damn fun to use. Would like to thank pokemon sparrow for suggesting me to use it. It best functions as a late-game cleaner. Z-Mirror Move not only gives you a pseudo-Swords Dance boost, it also copies the last move the opponent has used, in its Z-form. For example, if a Pokémon uses Knock Off against you and you go for Z-Mirror Move, you basically get a free Black Hole Eclipse AND a pseudo-Swords Dance boost. Also, unlike the Life Orb set, it doesn't die TOO fast. This set can't 2HKO Clefable after Leftovers recovery from full so if it's unaware Clefable, well, that sucks for you.

Honchkrow @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Brave Bird
- Sucker Punch
- Superpower
- Mirror Move

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-566242425

Other than these two sets, I can see a few more unexplored sets, such as Z-Snatch to abuse Moxie, Choice Scarf, or even Nasty Plot with Super Luck instead of Moxie.

Let me quote you the definition of C tier:
...the generic C tier displays the rest of the Pokemon that are usable in UU, but don't have a niche that is appreciated by most UU teams.
I will ask you again now. Does Honchkrow really deserve being ranked C-?

tl;dr:
PROS:
  • Good offensive typing
  • A good offensive ability
  • Really strong
  • Versatile
  • Supports and gets supported by common teammates, such as Scizor and Bisharp
CONS:
  • Dies pretty fast
  • Revenge killed by common faster Fighting types
  • Suffers from the 4MSS (the AoA set in particular)
Thanks for reading! :heart:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)