XY LC Smang It Guuurrrlll

doomsday doink

v̶̱̅i̵̢̕l̶̦̈́ļ̵͗a̷̙̓g̸͈͝ę̵̎ ̵̱̌g̷̭͆û̷̦a̵̰͛ȓ̶̜d̸
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
~SMANG IT GUUURRRLLL~

That being said, hey everybody! This team was built just about a week ago, but it's been really effective versus a lot of frens and in some lowly room tours. I'll probably revamp the squad to prepare for the inevitable metagame shifts that will occur with the introduction of ORAS, notably the terror that will be Pancham. The team itself is quite solid, only having trouble with a few Pokemon that can be played around via predictions and pivotting. The squad is centered around Bunnelby, a huge threat I don't think has gotten the attention it deserves recently, and an uncommon Magnemite set, which is still quite threatening. I present to you, Smang it Guuurrrlll.​

Teambuilding Process

Scarfed Bunnelby isn't really seen as often nowadays due to the rise in Ferroseed's usage, but it's still as brutal as ever.

Because of the fact that Ferroseed completely shuts down Bunnelby, only being 3HKOed by Earthquake, I needed a means of getting rid of it. Although Fire-types usually suffice, I didn't want to just threaten it out; I wanted to make my opponent cry as I destroyed their Ferroseed, with nothing they could do to stop me. Of course, that means trapping it. Although Gothita can trap Ferroseed and threaten it with HP Fire, Gothita can still be paralyzed by Thunder Wave and doesn't resist Bullet Seed. Magnemite, however, accomplishes all of that and more, possessing reliable recovery in Berry Juice.

Bunnelby and Magnemite are both extremely weak to Fighting-types, whether it be Timburr or Mienfoo. As such, I needed a Fairy- or Poison-type Pokemon to deal with them. Snubbull fits into this role nicely, as it can utilize its solid bulk and Intimidate ability to not only check Fighting-types, but other physical attackers that may threaten my team.

Bunnelby lacks the bulk to switch into multiple attacks, so the standard bulky Mienfoo was chosen to accommodate this shortcoming, pivoting in and out, allowing Bunnelby to switch in safely throughout the game.

I felt I needed some hazard removal that could reliably handle opposing hazard setters, notably Drilbur. Staryu not only fulfills this role, but can also function as a nice "clean-up crew," utilizing on its 19 Speed to pick off weakened threats.

The team appeared to be pretty solid at this point, but I felt I was lacking a win condition should Bunnelby be KOed by a misplay or critical hit. Sub Life Orb Abra is a monster of a sweeper, practically 2HKOing anything that doesn't resist it.

THE SQUAD
Changes reflected in Red

Yung Humma (Bunnelby) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Huge Power
Level: 5
EVs: 228 Atk / 52 Def / 220 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Return
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Thief

Bunnelby is a legend. Huge Power-boosted Return hits everything that doesn't resist it like a truck, and the things that do resist get hit by a smaller truck. U-turn allows Bunnelby to pivot out of an unfavorable matchup or create some momentum by U-turning on an opponent's switch-in (Ferroseed). Earthquake lets Bunnelby smack Steel- and Rock-types that resist Return, along with a slightly-weakened, bulky Chinchou. Thief provides Bunnelby with a means of hitting Ghost-types, namely Pumpkaboo and Gastly, both which could care less about an Earthquake, the latter being immune to it. Choice Scarf, in tandem with Bunnelby's 16 Speed, allow it to become even more of a potent revenger killer / late-game sweeper. The EVs are rather standard: Attack and Speed are maxed out to make Bunnelby the threat that it is and the Defense EVs allow Bunnelby to survive Timburr's Mach Punch from full health 100% of the time.

Flynt Flossy (Magnemite) @ Berry Juice
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 156 HP / 36 Def / 240 SpA / 76 SpD
Modest Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Recycle

Magnemite is what allows this team to function effectively, trapping and KOing pesky Steel-types that can check Bunnelby, most namely Ferroseed. As such, Hidden Power Fire is the "primary" move of the set, OHKOing Ferroseed after Bunnelby has hit it with U-turn. Volt Switch creates momentum, scouting switch-ins or simply pivoting out so that Bunnelby can switch in safely. Flash Cannon is Magnemite's main source of damage output, hitting quite hard coming off of 20 Special Attack. Recycle is fantastic when combined with Berry Juice, providing a solid means of recovery for Magnemite. The EVs are a little unique, investing more in bulk as opposed to Speed, mainly due to the fact that 11 Speed is still enough to outspeed Ferroseed, along with Timburr. The bulk also allows Magnemite to survive Fletchling's Overheat (albeit how uncommon it is nowadays) and comfortably live Timburr's Mach Punch. Magnet Pull is, of course, to trap Steel-types and KO them.

Pretty Raheem (Snubbull) @ Eviolite
Ability: Intimidate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 36 HP / 36 Atk / 196 Def / 196 SpD / 36 Spe
Careful Nature

- Thief
- Earthquake
- Play Rough
- Heal Bell

Snubbull is a fantastic partner for Bunnelby and Magnemite, checking Fighting-types and Drilbur rather well. I've never been a huge fan of Berry Juice Snubbull, as it's always just seemed like dead weight once its Berry Juice gets Knocked Off. I chose to try out Thief Eviolite Snubbull, and boy has it been working out well. Due to the lack of "Knock Off absorbers" on this team, besides sometimes Mienfoo, Snubbull is great, as not only does it fill this role, but Thief becomes a pseudo-Knock Off, softening up threats so that Bunnelby can switch in later and sweep. Play Rough is Snubbull's STAB of choice and Earthquake has near-perfect synergy with Fairy-typing, hitting Poison-, Steel-, and Fire-types that resist Play Rough. Heal Bell allows Snubbull to support its team, ridding its allies of any status that Staryu doesn't end up absorbing. The EVs allow Snubbull to hit even numbers in Defense and Special Defense, as well as 10 Speed, letting it tie with Timburr and outspeed Foongus and Croagunk. Intimidate is the superior ability on Snubbull, allowing it to even moreso reliably check the Pokemon it needs to.

Whatchamacallit (Mienfoo) @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 196 HP / 196 Def / 116 SpD
Careful Nature
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Acrobatics

Mienfoo is the pivot this team deserves and the one it needs right now. The set itself is pretty standard for bulky Mienfoo, sporting Drain Punch, Knock Off, and U-turn. Acrobatics is less of a standard choice, but it allows Mienfoo to deal with Croagunk, as well as smack an unsuspecting Foongus or Larvesta. The EVs are standard bulky Mienfoo, hitting even numbers in Defense and Special Defense, and the lack of EVs in Speed put Mienfoo at 13 Speed, letting it outspeed some common threats but underspeed some Pokemon that Bunnelby does not want to be taking a hit from.

Tummiscratch (Staryu) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 116 HP / 156 Def / 236 Spe
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Recover

I'd consider Staryu to be the glue of this team, providing a means of hazard removal and a check to most Shell Smashers, which can otherwise threaten this team immensely if given the chance to set up. Rapid Spin is obviously to remove hazards (while of course being the most powerful move in the game). Scald provides Staryu with both a reliable STAB and a useful utility move, crippling physical attackers with its 30% burn chance. Hidden Power Grass hits Omanyte and defensive Tirtouga, both of which tend to try to set up on Staryu, assuming that Thunderbolt will follow (which doesn't KO Omanyte). Recover is an extremely reliable means of recovery, allowing Staryu to check the Pokemon it needs to. The EVs allow Staryu to hit 21 HP / 14 Def, checking Drilbur and Shell Smash Tirtouga. Timid nature lets it hit 19 Speed, outspeeding a majority of the metagame.

Slick Mahoney (Abra) @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 236 SpA / 76 SpD / 196 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Substitute
- Dazzling Gleam
- Energy Ball

Abra is the secondary win condition of the squad and is still the monstrous Special Attacker it has always been. Sub Life Orb is brutal, allowing Abra to set up on switches and just absolutely smash opposing teams. Psychic hits everything not Dark- and Steel-type for huge damage and Dazzling Gleam smacks the Dark-types that are immune to Psychic. Energy Ball is crazy cool, OHKOing standard Drilbur, defensive Tirtouga and Berry Juice Chinchou. The EVs are standard for a non-Hidden Power Fighting Abra; the same applies to the nature.

Threatlist
Sun: Not so much Vulpix, but when Sun is up, Bellsprout can plow through this team, as none of the Pokemon can reliably switch into the combination of Solarbeam, Sludge Bomb, and Weather Ball.

Spritzee: Spritzee is such an annoying Pokemon. Magnemite can easily check it and the team consists of various wallbreakers, but it can still find ways to Wish and Aromatherapy due to its great bulk and typing.

Bunnelby: As ironic as it may be, Bunnelby can plow through this team with Return / Earthquake if Magnemite and Snubbull are even slightly weakened.

Pawniard: Although Mienfoo / Magnemite / Staryu can handle Pawniard moderately well, if it can manage to Swords Dance, it usually results in saccing either Staryu or Abra in an attempt to keep Mienfoo healthy enough to KO Pawniard.

Croagunk: Although this team has means of easily KOing Croagunk, none of the Pokemon really want to switch into a Knock Off, Drain Punch, or Sludge Bomb, resulting in a need for solid predictions in order to safely bring in a check. This can be challenging due to Croagunk's low Speed stat, underspeeding both of the slow pivots on this team, Magnemite and Mienfoo.

I'll probably end up adding more once I give this section some real thought.

Shoutouts

Not too many shoutouts regarding the team, but thanks to Rowan for helping me test it quite a bit and to GlassGlaceon and QuoteCS for helping construct this RMT. Thanks to Superpowerdude for letting me whoop his ass to defend my honor. Obligatory shoutout to macle for lovin' frogs a little bit too much.

As always, any advice is welcomed and a big thank you to all of those who read through this!

Also, if you got the huge amount of Turquoise Jeep references here, I love you.​

Yung Humma (Bunnelby) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 228 Atk / 52 Def / 220 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Return
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Thief

Flynt Flossy (Magnemite) @ Berry Juice
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 156 HP / 36 Def / 240 SpA / 76 SpD
Modest Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Recycle

Pretty Raheem (Snubbull) @ Eviolite
Ability: Intimidate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 196 Atk / 116 Def / 196 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Thief
- Earthquake
- Play Rough
- Heal Bell

Whatchamacallit (Mienfoo) @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 196 HP / 196 Def / 116 SpD
Careful Nature
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

Tummiscratch (Staryu) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 36 HP / 200 SpA / 240 Spe
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Recover

Slick Mahoney (Abra) @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 236 SpA / 76 SpD / 196 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Substitute
- Dazzling Gleam
- Energy Ball

Last edited:
Hi there Mambo, this is a really solid team that seems to be really effective great job! However I've got some few nitpicks here and there:

On Snubbull you're saying that you hit Eviolite numbers but you don't so I suggest changing the EV spread to 196 Atk / 196 Def / 116 SpD to hit even number, I also suggest using Thunder Wave over Thief which allows you to cripple a lot of stuff and let them get beaten up more reliably by either Snubbull itself or the other team members.

To make back the loss of your "Knock Off absorber" in Snubbull I'll be suggesting Acrobatics over Stone Edge on Mienfoo, to be honest you won't be really winning on a 1v1 against Larvesta as it speed ties and can go for Will-o-Wisp forcing you to switch out: 0 Atk burned Mienfoo Stone Edge vs. 76 HP / 156 Def Eviolite Larvesta: 10-14 (43.4 - 60.8%) -- 88.7% chance to 2HKO. However, Acrobatics lets Mienfoo be a better Knock Off absorber than it is at the moment as it allows it to deal with Fighting-types that spam Knock Off like Timburr and Croagunk (the latter is really problematic to your team), and you have Staryu that can deal with Larvesta as it can heal from the burn when it switches out and can 2HKO Larvesta with Scald.

Other than that I don't have much left to say, once again great job, hope I helped and good luck! :)

Star

is a Tournament Directoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Past SPL Championis the defending RU Circuit Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OGC & Tour Head
LOL this is bad.

jk. Although there are a couple things that could make this team better.

First of all Croagunk is a complete bitch. It checks 5/6 mons and completely hardwalls 2 of them. For that reason I support Acrobatics Foo over Stone Edge. Also I'd put psychic over hp grass on Staryu because it helps you deal with this and PJab Timburr, both of which annoy the hell out of you. I would also go Thunder Wave over Heal Bell on Snubbull because you already have Staryu to just absorb status. Also you might not like this change but go Sturdy over Magnet Pull on Magnemite because you really need something to check Omanyte in a pinch and actually take a hit and do damage back vs sun teams. You actually won't even miss magnet pull because Ferroseed stays in on Magnemite anyway expecting it to have Hp Grass or Ground. And its not like its capable of trapping pawniard anyway.

Overall p nice team!

Corporal Levi

ninjadog of the decade
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
In regards to Sturdy over Magnet Pull, Sturdyjuice is always great, but Magnet Pull will let Magnemite play more aggressively switching into Ferroseed because if you do that with Sturdy then the opponent will probably sense that something is amiss and switch out; Omanyte is hardly a concern for this team between Mienfoo, Staryu and only a few set-up opportunities, anyway. Scarf Magnemite could be troublesome and Magnet Pull will also help in that regard if Scarf Magnemite has locked itself into Thunderbolt.

I would like to suggest Sunnybeam Ponyta over Abra. Ponyta can also check Fighting-types, including Croagunk, and a Sunnybeam set will still be able to lure Chinchou and Tirtouga; however, Ponyta additionally provides a check to Sun sweepers, Fletchling and Pawniard as well as Spritzee (although I honestly don't see Spritzee as being too troublesome for a team with recycle Magnemite and multiple wall-breakers), while still acting as a back-up win condition if need be. It can also burn an opposing Bunnelby stuck on Return or Quick Attack with Flame Body.
Ponyta @ Eviolite
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 236 Def / 76 SpD / 196 Spe
Timid or Bold Nature
- Sunny Day
- Fire Blast
- SolarBeam
- Morning Sun
If you have another method to play around Chinchou, standard Ponyta is also fine because it checks SD Pawniard better and a fast Will-O-Wisp is always great.

I am of the opinion that the best spread for Thunderbolt/Ice Beam-less Eviolite Staryu in the current metagame is 116 HP / 156 Def / 236 Spe to hit 21 HP / 14 Def. Your team looks like it lacks a repeated switch-in for Drilbur, which bulky Staryu provides, and a more defensive spread also gives Staryu a better chance to avoid the OHKO from +2 Tirtouga's Stone Edge before Stealth Rock or Rock Slide after Stealth Rock.

That's all I have to say for now, though; this team is very well built.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)