1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Smashpassing OU Team

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by Dr0sik, May 4, 2012.

1. Dr0sik

Dr0sik

I just typed all of this and then the page closed...so here we go again...There’s probably going to be a lot less effort put into it this time.
    -__-

Ok so I’d like some advice on how to improve my team. I have days where I have huge winning streaks going and then I have days where I lose like 5 battles for every 1 that I win. I think the biggest reason is my teams huge weakness towards ice and grass. But I’m sure there’s other problems too.

I'd be glad to hear your opinions and advice.

So here’s my team at a glance.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Swampert, Espeon, and Gorebyss are my “setter upers” and Haxorus, Breloom, and Gliscor are my fighters. I’m sure you’ll notice that my 3 attackers are all weak to ice, and my setter upers don’t exactly have the greatest synergy. Two of them are weak to grass. My whole team in general doesn’t have very good synergy.

However Espeon and Swampert work well together. Swampert lures out Ferrothorn, and then I switch in Espeon who bounces back Ferrothorn’s Spikes and faints it with Hidden Power Fire.

Here’s a quick look at how my battles usually go:
    1. I usually lead with Swampert and set up Stealth Rock. I then have Swampert continue fighting or I send out Espeon.
    2. Espeon puts up dual screens. I then either have him keep fighting or I send out Gorebyss.
    3. Gorybess, now protected by dual screens uses Substitute and/or Shell Smash. She then either keeps fighting or Baton Passes to Haxorus.
    4. Haxorus sweeps.
    5. If for some reason Haxorus fails, the remaining pokemon finish the job.

Now this isn’t always how it happens. I’ve gotten pretty flexible with smashpassing. Step one can be skipped and I use other pokemon as my lead sometimes. Especially Espeon. A common problem I run into is people setting up their sweepers during steps 1-4. Steps 1-4 only take a few terns, but its enough time for an opposing sweeper to boost its stats quite a bit. Though half the people I battle don’t seem to have a clue what I’m doing so they don’t take advantage of it.

Now I’ll explain each pokemon’s role more in-depth.

[​IMG]
    Swampert @ Chesto Berry Torrent
    Sassy 240 HP / 216 Def / 52 Spe

Stealth Rock
    Rest
    Earthquake
    Ice Beam

I usually use Swampert as my lead, but not always. The main reason I picked him was his defense and Stealth Rock; but as I’ve used him for a long time I’ve noticed that he can be offensive if necessary. People seem to underestimate Swampert and I think that’s a big mistake. He can take a lot of hits, even when they’re boosted. And his STABed Earthquake has saved my ass a few times. When I use him as my lead, I can usually set up a Stealth Rock and then have him continue fighting and knock a huge hole in the opponent or faint them altogether. OR I can call him back and save him for later.

[​IMG]
    Espeon @ Light Clay Magic Bounce
    Timid 252 HP / 252 Spe / 4 Def

Light Screen
    Reflect
    Psychic
    Hidden Power (Fire)

Usually very early on in the battle, I have Espeon set up dual screens. I then either have him keep fighting or I call him back. His amazing speed makes him an awesome revenge killer. HP Fire earned its spot solely to deal with Ferrothorn; but it helps with other steel types too, and somewhat covers Espeon’s bug weakness. It can also be used to deal with other grass types that Swampert lures out. (though the most common is Ferrothorn) Anyway, to sum it all up, Espeon sets up dual screens and then becomes a revenge killer.

[​IMG]
    Gorebyss @ White Herb Swift Swim
    Calm 252 HP / 232 Spe / 24 SpD

Substitute
    Shell Smash
    Baton Pass
    Surf

Gorebyss is my smashpasser. Suprise suprise. After Espeon sets up dual screens, or whichever screen seems most necessary, I usually send Gorebyss out. Gorebyss has great defense, so with help from dual screens, she can take a few hits while she Shell Smashes and sets up a substitute. She can then either Baton Pass or she can take out the opponent with Surf, depending on who the opponent is. Gorebyss doesn’t really need the dual screen support, but her Baton Pass receiver, Haxorus, appreciates the support. Plus the screens help bulk up her substitutes.

I’ve actually had games where I have Gorebyss smashpass, and then later on I end up using Gorybess again to Shell Smash and sweep. This is kinda rare though. Usually Gorybess has very little HP after smashpassing and her ability to sweep is limited with only one offensive move.

[​IMG]
    Haxorus @ Lum Berry Mold Breaker
    Adamant 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP

Brick Break
    Dragon Claw
    Earthquake
    Taunt

Haxorus is my smashpass receiver. Him and Gliscor are both sweepers, but Haxorus is the better sweeper of the two. (but he relies on Gorebyss for his boosts) Brick Break is to break through screens that would prevent him from sweeping, as well as somewhat covering the teams huge weakness to ice. Dragon claw is his STAB move, and it’s WAY better than Outrage because it doesn’t lock him into the move and then confuse him. Earthquake + Mold Breaker is always good to have. It allows him to OHKO a lot of pokemon. Taunt prevents him from being Roared away or crippled by status problems. The Lum Berry helps protect him from status problems too.

Haxorus isn’t much good for anything besides sweeping. He’s too frail to be used for anything else. He’s not a very good revenge killer because he’s slightly slower then most of the metagame.

[​IMG]
    Breloom @ Toxic Orb Poison Heal
    Jolly 252 atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP

Spore
    Mach Punch
    Seed Bomb
    Facade

Breloom is an excellent revenge killer and he has his own unique way of sweeping that annoys the shit out of other people. I’ve had some awesome come-from-behind wins thanks to Breloom. Breloom is slow, but he can usually take a hit. Even if it’s super effective. (but not if its STABed or the opponents stats are raised) This allows him to put his enemy to sleep and then use a 140 power Facade. Breloom doesn’t need his attack raised to be an awesome sweeper like this. Plus he can’t be crippled by other status problems, because he is constantly poisoned.

[​IMG]
    Gliscor @ Leftovers Poison Heal
    Impish 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spe

Sword Dance
    Thunder Fang
    Ice Fang
    Earthquake

Gliscor is my bulky back-up sweeper. One sword dance raises his attack sky high. In honor of the Item Clause, I have him holding Leftovers, but I kept his ability as Poison Heal just incase he gets poisoned. However I’m thinking of changing his ability to Hyper Cutter because he gets burned more often than he gets poisoned. What do you guys think? I actually just recently replaced my Magnezone with this Gliscor. Gliscor causes people to switch pokemon, which give him a free turn to use Sword Dance. And I think this catches people off guard because I don’t usually seel Gliscors with this moveset. It deffinetly helps for fighting other Gliscors.
  2. Asek

Asek A heart of stone, a smoking gun
    is a Team Rater Alumnus
    Mentor

A mixed sweeper could benifit more from the Smash Pass then a solely Phycial sweeper recieving it. I also noted the stated weaknesses to ice and grass. I think because of these reasons that you should replace Breloom with a Mixape Infenape set

Infernape @ Lum Berry
    Trait: Blaze Nature: Naive
    EV's: 78 Atk/ 174 SpAtk/ 252 Spd
    Close Combat/ Flamethrower ( Fire Blast)/ Grass Knot/ Vacuum Wave
    An awesome smash pass reciever who can destroy Skarmbliss and other stall teams with ease. If you want you could replace Vaccum Wave with Stone edge to hit thos dam OU Dragons, but the priority is loved.( Stone edge hits DNite, Salamence and the Lati twins which otherwise wall the set)
  3. JSteele

JSteele

leftovers on gliscor makes no sense at all. A Toxic Orb gives you double recovery, and protects you from other status as well, thus you dont have to fear burning. Also, it gives you a reason to use poison heal, which is useless without the orb, since you are immune to toxic spikes!

Also, as the guy above said, you need a special or mixed sweeper ASAP.
  4. Dr0sik

Dr0sik

Thanks for the advice guys. The reason I didn't have Gliscor holding a Toxic Orb was because of the Item Clause. But if I replace Breloom with an Infernape, then I can give Gliscor a Toxic Orb without breaking any rules. :)
  5. Smilodon

Smilodon

Mixed Jirachi (iron head, fire punch, HP ice, Thundrbolt) appreciate a lot a SS, you could give it a try.

I would put roar > rest for swampert (and of course leftovers if you do it). You don't have anything to take powerful hits, so Swampert can't let the opponent setting up.

And Espeon is really usefull with baton pass > HP fire, so he can switch in when an obvious roar/whirlwind is about to be sent on Gorebyss, and then pass again to the dedicated sweeper.
  6. IbanezObsession

IbanezObsession

Item Clause doesn't apply to the standard rules on Smogon's Pokémon Online server, so that won't be a problem at all. Definitely put a Toxic Orb on it.

I would also like to second Aske's recommendation to replace Breloom with Mixed Infernape as mixed smash-pass receivers are extremely troublesome to deal with as they have very few counters.

The team looks good, man! Good luck!
  7. KorKonT

KorKonT

This team is very similar to one of my old teams I had, in fact its almost identical to one of its older versions. However, because of the similarity, I will suggest you try what I did. While Haxorus has some pretty good power, it lacks defense and general sweeping ability due to its counters and the fact it can't attack mixed. I would suggest MixMence or Extremespeed Roost Dragonite for a spin and see if they help. With a mixed set, you are less likely to be walled by various pokemon that would give your alternative(haxorus) trouble. Dragonite is capable of running a similar set to your current Haxorus, yet more bulky and with a +2 priority to allow it to accustom the revenge killer part of your team, a role this team somewhat needs. With an ExtremeSpeed dragonite in tow, you can also add drain punch to your arsenal on Breloom over Mach Punch, which would be great for those stubborn stall teams and the power is sure to help in the long run.
  8. Livio

Livio
    is a Tiering Contributor

I hate smashpass.. it spoil Bw metagame,Smashpass will be in Uber tier cause is a thing never seen,easiness with a n00b player can win with it is lurid
  9. Asek

Asek A heart of stone, a smoking gun
    is a Team Rater Alumnus
    Mentor

I would far rather vs someone using something uncommon and inventive like smashpass then verse yet another weather team which relies on spamming high powered 100% accurate moves. It takes a lot more skill to pull off a good smash pass then it does to just click the same button over and over again. If your going to post give some constructive criticism! (DAM YOU SPECS HURRICANE IN THE RAIN)

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)