Smeargle

Why is there so much cute Smeargle art smh

[OVERVIEW]

Smeargle fills a unique niche in the UU metagame as an entry hazard lead with access to sleep-inducing moves. It gets access to almost every move in the game, but subpar offensive stats relegate it to using passive moves. This isn't necessarily bad, however, as Smeargle makes for a great support Pokemon that can beat most other leads if you play it right. Smeargle faces some competition as a Sticky Web user from Shuckle, which has more bulk and has room to use a Mental Herb to dodge Taunt for one turn. However, Smeargle's higher Speed and access to Spore, Taunt, and Magic Coat are enough to differentiate itself from its competition and carve a decent niche for itself. Still, though its base 75 Speed isn't bad by any means, it causes Smeargle to get outsped by common offensive Pokemon such as Hydreigon, Salamence, and Mega Aerodactyl, which can limit Smeargle to setting up only one entry hazard because of its terrible defenses. Additionally, Smeargle is vulnerable to Taunt due to its passive nature, though Magic Coat mitigates this somewhat.

[SET]
name: Suicide Lead
move 1: Spore / Dark Void
move 2: Stealth Rock
move 3: Sticky Web / Spikes
move 4: Taunt
item: Focus Sash
ability: Own Tempo
nature: Timid
evs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Spore is useful to put opposing Pokemon to sleep, giving Smeargle more time to set up entry hazards. Dark Void can be used instead if you're worried about Grass-types such as Mega Abomasnow and Chesnaught or Overcoat users such as Mandibuzz and Escavalier, though the accuracy is off-putting. Stealth Rock secure KOs for offensive Pokemon and also gets residual damage on Flying-types and Levitate users, which can avoid other entry hazards. Sticky Web lowers the Speed of opposing grounded Pokemon, giving slower offensive Pokemon such as Chandelure and Hydreigon a chance to shine. Spikes is an option if you're not running a team that is centered around Sticky Web, as it gets more residual damage. Taunt is almost mandatory so that Smeargle can shut down Defoggers and not lose the entry hazards that it has worked hard to set up. Alternatively, Magic Coat can be used to reflect opposing entry hazards as well as Taunt, though forgoing Taunt causes Smeargle to get manhandled by Defoggers.

Set Details
========

Maximum investment in Speed and a Timid nature are used to make Smeargle as speedy as possible. The rest of the EVs go into its HP, allowing it to take a few hits. Own Tempo is Smeargle's only usable ability. Focus Sash almost guarantees that Smeargle will set up an entry hazard and is pretty much mandatory because of its terrible defenses.

Usage Tips
========

Smeargle should only be used on hyper offensive builds, as other team archetypes would generally prefer an entry hazard setter with more staying power. Smeargle is best used as a suicide lead to ensure that its Focus Sash will remain intact. When using Smeargle, you should aim to put the foe to sleep first and then set up the entry hazard that benefits you the most in that situation. Be sure to use Taunt if you predict a switch to a Defogger that is faster than Smeargle.

Team Options
========

Taunt users such as Crobat and Mega Aerodactyl are highly recommended to help prevent Smeargle's entry hazards from being removed by Defog. Likewise, U-turn and Volt Switch users such as Hydreigon, Moltres, Mega Beedrill, and Cobalion can pivot into said Taunt users if needed, though a bit of prediction is required on the player's part. Wallbreakers such as Hydreigon, Haxorus, Entei, Nidoking, Heracross, and Chandelure appreciate the entry hazards that Smeargle provides, as it helps them net key OHKOs and 2HKOs and outrun faster threats. Likewise, sweepers such as Feraligatr, Salamence, Cobalion, and Venomoth also like being able to get some KOs they wouldn't normally get, as do cleaners such as Sharpedo, Yanmega, Mega Beedrill, and Choice Scarf Krookodile. Pokemon with the ability Defiant, such as Tornadus and Braviary, can switch into and take advantage of opposing Defog users, which is a great help for Sticky Web and other hazard-stacking teams. Smeargle should be paired with Pokemon that can switch into and threaten Pokemon looking to remove Smeargle's entry hazards; for example, Toxicroak can switch into and start setting up on Empoleon, while Tyrantrum and Mega Aerodactyl can take care of Crobat. Ghost-types such as Chandelure and Doublade also make for excellent teammates, as they are able to spinblock.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Smeargle has a plethora of other options due to it learning almost every move in the game. Toxic Spikes can be used in the third slot on the main set if you feel as though your team needs it. Explosion makes Smeargle go out with a boom, which gives its team momentum and chip damage as well as blocking Defog and Rapid Spin for one turn. Smeargle can utilize Baton Pass to pass boosts from a move such as Swords Dance, Nasty Plot, Agility, or even Belly Drum to a teammate; however, this strategy is no longer as effective due to the Baton Pass clause. A combination of Endeavor and Extreme Speed can be used to KO leads or can even be saved for later in a match to act as a clutch check to setup sweepers if entry hazards are kept off of Smeargle's side of the field. Trick Room is a cool option for teams with slow and powerful Pokemon. Overheat can 2HKO Forretress, but it doesn't have much use outside of that. Rapid Spin could be used to remove entry hazards that are set up against Smeargle. If Smeargle has already done its job, Memento can provide a setup opportunity for a teammate, although Smeargle's low Speed means that it usually won't be able to pull it off. Mental Herb blocks Taunt from Pokemon such as Infernape and Azelf, though this compromises Smeargle's Focus Sash and it already gets access to Magic Coat. Whirlwind allows Smeargle to phaze Pokemon that get cheeky and try to use Smeargle as setup bait. Nuzzle allows Smeargle to paralyze and slow down faster Pokemon for its teammates, though it conflicts with Spore a little bit.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Magic Bounce**: Espeon and Mega Absol can bounce all of Smeargle's move back at itself, rendering it completely useless.

**Taunt Users**: Pokemon that carry Taunt such as Azelf, Infernape, Mega Aerodactyl, and Crobat can completely shut down Smeargle if it is not running Magic Coat and do anything they want from there.

**Entry Hazard Removal**: Once Smeargle has fainted, spinners such as Mega Blastoise and Defoggers such as Crobat and Empoleon can remove entry hazards from the field, although spinners need to be wary of Ghost-types.

**Non-Sucker Punch Priority Users**: Pokemon that carry priority moves that aren't Sucker Punch, such as Abomasnow, Arcanine, Infernape, Lucario, and Mamoswine, can pick off Smeargle and limit it to only setting up one entry hazard.

**Faster Pokemon**: Pokemon such as Roserade, Hydreigon, Salamence, and Cobalion can outspeed Smeargle and limit it to setting up one entry hazard. Roserade in particular can actually prevent Smeargle from setting any entry hazards up with Sleep Powder and proceed to 2HKO with Giga Drain, though Sleep Powder's accuracy is something to watch out for.

Last edited:

Kreme

You might be right but you're not correct.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Ayy first check...hopefully (if a QC member agrees). Anyhow, I'll go through this section by section. Firstly, the overview. I believe you could mix the first and fourth bullet points into saying how it has access to almost all moves in the game yet it's limited to using support moves due to its poor offensive stats. The only unique niche Smeargle has is being an entry hazard lead with access to Sleep inducing moves, and can prevent itself from being beaten by virtually every other lead should you play it right. Shuckle's already a pretty good Sticky Web user so nothing unique regarding Smeargle there so the second bullet point should be changed. The third bullet point should probably be the first tbh. The last bullet point seems more catered towards when Taunt is mentioned in C&C so I'd remove it from the Overview. Onto the set. I'd probably have a lot more moves mentioned. The best thing about Smeargle imo is that it has access to so many options to cater to the team. If your team has a Taunt Aerodactyl for opposing Taunt leads then you're less inclined to use Magic Coat for example and you could probably use Taunt or Memento over it. Anyhow, I feel the set should have Dark Void / Spore in the first slot, Stealth Rock in the second slot, Sticky Web / Spikes in the third slot and Magic Coat / Taunt / Memento in the final slot. Onto Set Details, are there any reason the EVs are so specific? I haven't played any OU etc so I wouldn't know what EV spreads are optomized for Smeargle but I don't really see the point of the EVs unless they're achieving something so if they don't I'd probably have 252 HP, 4 SpD, 252 Spe. I would also mention how Own Tempo is only used as Moody is banned and Technician doesn't accomplish anything because Smeargle doesn't use offensive moves. For Usage Tips I would definitely mention that Smeargle should only be used on hyper offensive teams, as other team archetypes either don't have the ability to maintain momentum for suicide leads to be effective or prefer entry hazard setters with more staying power. I'd also mention to not lead with Smeargle against opposing Taunt leads should it lack Magic Coat. I would also mention to use Taunt when against slower entry hazard leads, such as Forretress, and to use Memento once Smeargle is no longer needed should either move be chosen in the fourth slot. For Team Options, I feel the first bullet point is too broad and should be broken down into 3 things; wallbreakers, sweepers, and cleaners. All three appreciate Smeargle's ability to consistently set entry hazards and all three are offensively orientated roles. Examples of the three are Choice Band Heracross, Swords Dance Lucario, and Speed Boost Yanmega, respectively. In Other Options, I'd completely remove the first bullet point as the premise of that set is a suicide lead anyway so might as well just slash the moves onto the first set as I stated earlier with changing the set. I never condone the use of any gimmicky F.E.A.R-esque tactics so I'd completely remove the second bullet point due to this. I'd mention Baton Pass in OO, but when writing up I'd mention how it isn't too great due to the new Baton Pass clause. I would probably add Multi-Hit Moves in Checks and Counters.

I honestly think that Taunt and Memento are more like OO material; Magic Coat is kind of irreplaceable to make sure Smeargle isn't completely shut down by Taunt, and besides, Taunt and Memento aren't very good options themselves. Taunt shuts down hazard leads, but you can just reflect those hazards back with Magic Coat, and Smeargle doesn't really have the Speed or bulk to use Memento properly. As for the FEAR-esque set, I feel that it is somewhat viable as a TR setter, just barely enough to keep it in OO.

Otherwise, I completely agree with the rest of your post, currently editing at the moment.

e: done making the changes, thanks Kreme!

Last edited:
In my opinion, Magic Coat is the most unreliable move you can run on suicide-lead. It stopped being cool in early BW1

If Smeargle isn't running any physical attack, it should use Timid nature to take less damage from Foul Play

0- Atk Umbreon Foul Play vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Smeargle: 73-87 (23.3 - 27.7%) -- 73.4% chance to 4HKO
0- Atk Umbreon Foul Play vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Smeargle: 66-78 (21 - 24.9%) -- guaranteed 5HKO

Defiant Pokemon are extremely manageable for almost every team, so it's not like running them automatically gives you the upper hand if the opponent uses Defog to get rid of your hazards. More important than abusing Defiant is using Pokemon that pressure and scare away Defog and Rapid Spin users.

Toxic Spikes, Nuzzle, Endeavor + Extreme Speed (level 1 is not necessary for this), Whirlwind, Explosion, Taunt, Overheat [252 SpA Smeargle Overheat vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Forretress: 336-396 (95.1 - 112.1%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO] and probably something else deserve mentions in OO

Cinccino is garbage

Escavalier and Chesnaught aren't Smeargle counters or checks. Not being able to put them to sleep means nothing because they both allow you to setup hazards without any issue. Shaymin and Rotom-C are not stopping Smeargle from setting up at least one hazard, and it scouts the sets those pokemon are using. Roserade shuts down Smeargle because faster + Sleep Powder, not because Grass-type.

YABO

King Turt
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Taunt 100% deserves a slash or more likely being the primary option considering Smeargle is going to be run on hyper offensive teams which often utilize focus sash and dont like trading rocks early if it can be avoided. Taunt also is a good way to stop pokemon from setting up on you as you lay hazards and punishing your entire team for smeargles passivity (this is after sleep fodder). Also it is pretty necessary to carry taunt so that stuff like Empoleon and more significantly, Mandibuzz, (overcoat) doesn't just come in and defog on your face since Smeargle is doing absolutely nothing to deter that.

Team options need to either pack taunt themselves or be able to pressure defoggers immensely or else smeargles job early game was pretty much for nothing. Stuff like Taunt Mega Aero and even Taunt Chandelure could work well to double down on hazard control.

I could also see Rapid Spin getting a mention in OO in addition to what hikari mentioned.

YABO

King Turt
taunt should honestly be a mandatory move or else you just get manhandled by every defogger. What is the point of Smeargle if you sleep something turn 1 and then they go to Empoleon turn 2 and you can lay up zero hazards. Sure, you can pressure these users but it isn't uncommon for a team to have something that backs up its defog user and smeargle lacks the bulk to do anything after it has tried its best to lay hazards the first time. Bouncing back opposing taunts also isn't as important as stopping defog. What you can do versus opposing taunt leads is just lead something different and use your sash to set up hazards later on.

So yeah Taunt needs to be the only option in slot 4 since Magic Coat is only good for taunt which is pretty uncommon anyways.

YABO

King Turt
Mental Herb should get a mention, probably in oo but i wouldn't be opposed to a mention in set comments. Mention a couple of the different types of boosts you can still pass like nasty plot, sd, agility, or even belly drum since a lot of these are few and far between in the tier. Finally, I think Tyrantrum would be a better mention instead of Rotom-H for Crobat checks. It fits with Sticky Web better and is far more punishing of a Defog than Rotom-H is. Once all of those get added I think this should be good for a check.

Mental Herb should get a mention, probably in oo but i wouldn't be opposed to a mention in set comments. Mention a couple of the different types of boosts you can still pass like nasty plot, sd, agility, or even belly drum since a lot of these are few and far between in the tier. Finally, I think Tyrantrum would be a better mention instead of Rotom-H for Crobat checks. It fits with Sticky Web better and is far more punishing of a Defog than Rotom-H is. Once all of those get added I think this should be good for a check.
made the changes

Kreme

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
  • I feel as if Roserade etc aren't exactly "Niche counters" I understand the name is going to be changed later on but nevertheless I feel Roserade should be having its own section, as it's the only Pokemon that 100% stops Smeargle from doing anything regardless of its set (afaik). This is the case as it is the only Pokemon faster with access to a Sleep inducing move that does not affect it, so even if Smeargle uses Magic Coat it doesn't matter since Roserade is unable to put itself to Sleep.
  • Mamoswine doesn't run Icicle Spear in this tier so I don't believe it should be mentioned, on second thoughts tbh I feel like Multi-Hit moves probably shouldn't be mentioned since the viable users are all slower than Smeargle or aren't run.
  • Honestly I would add a "Faster Pokemon" section since they essentially do the same thing; limiting Smeargle to 1-2 entry hazards. You could say "Faster Offensive Pokemon" but I highly doubt there are any defensive Pokemon that are quicker than a max Speed Smeargle.
  • Going back to my first proposed suggestion though I'd definitely remove the "Niche counters" section entirely.
  • In Usage Tips I would definitely change the third bullet point to saying "then set the entry hazard that benefits you the most" instead of saying "then setup Sticky Web and then SR" because this isn't necessarily the best route to go. For example, you wouldn't be setting SWebs against stall but you probably would against hyper offense.
  • I would definitely reorder Other Options, it should probably go from almost viable enough to be on the set to niche options that could be useful in certain situations.

Last edited:
I made all of the changes and also added a Hazard Removal section in Checks and Counters. Let me know if you think OO should be reordered a bit though.

A mention of Trick Room should be placed in Other Options. Otherwise this is pretty comprehensive; QC 3/3 sorry for the delay

Kreme

This could use a sweep through the GP standards. Anyhow, aside from that and dodmen 's suggestion, you should probably change a bit of the description for "Hazard removal" in C&C. "although they need to watch out for opposing Ghost-types and Defiant users, respectively." - these are basically non-existent in the tier and they don't prevent Defog from removing the entry hazards so I'd just remove them and just mention Ghost-types for Rapid Spin, since they actually prevent Spin from removing entry hazards.

Winry

Super Graduate-Level Napper
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
add/correct remove comments
[OVERVIEW]

Smeargle fills a unique niche in the UU metagame as an entry hazard lead with access to sleep-inducing moves. It gets access to almost every move in the game, but subpar offensive stats relegate it to passive moves. This isn't necessarily bad, however, as Smeargle makes for a great support Pokemon that can beat most other leads if you play it right. Smeargle receives faces some competition as a Sticky Web user from Shuckle as a Sticky Web user, which has more bulk and has room to use a Mental Herb to dodge Taunt for one turn. However, Smeargle's higher Speed and access to Spore, Taunt, and Magic Coat are enough to differentiate itself from its competition and carve a decent niche for itself. Though its base 75 Speed isn't bad by any means, it causes Smeargle to get outspeed by common offensive Pokemon such as Hydreigon, Salamence, and Mega Aerodactyl, which can limit Smeargle to setting up only one entry hazard because of its terrible defenses. Additionally, Smeargle is vulnerable to Taunt due to its passive nature, though Magic Coat mitigates this somewhat.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Spore is useful to put opposing Pokemon to sleep, giving Smeargle more time to set up entry hazards. Dark Void can be used instead if you're worried about Grass-types such as Mega Abomasnow and Chesnaught or Overcoat users such as Mandibuzz and Escavalier, though the accuracy is off-putting. Stealth Rock is generally a good move to have on any team, as it secure KOs for offensive Pokemon and also gets residual damage on Flying-types and Levitate users that can avoid other entry hazards. Sticky Web lowers the Speed of opposing grounded Pokemon, giving slower offensive Pokemon such as Chandelure and Hydreigon a chance to shine. Spikes is an option if you're not running a team that is centered around Sticky Web, as it gets more residual damage on the opponent. Taunt is almost mandatory so that Smeargle can shut down Defoggers and not lose the entry hazards that it has worked hard to set up. Alternatively, Magic Coat can be used to reflect opposing entry hazards as well as Taunt, though forgoing Taunt causes it Smeargle to get manhandled by Defoggers.

Set Details
========

Maximum investment in Speed and a Timid nature are used to make Smeargle as speedy as possible. The rest of the EVs go into its HP, allowing it to take a few hits. Own Tempo is Smeargle's only usable ability. Focus Sash almost guarantees that Smeargle will get set up an entry hazard, [rc] and is pretty much mandatory because of its terrible defenses.

Usage Tips
========

Smeargle should only be used on hyper offensive builds, as other team archetypes would generally prefer an entry hazard setter with more staying power. Smeargle is best used as a suicide lead to ensure that its Focus Sash will remain intact. When using Smeargle, you should aim to put the foe to sleep first, and then set up the entry hazard that benefits you the most in that situation. Be sure to use Taunt if you predict a switch to a Defogger that is faster than Smeargle.

Team Options
========

Taunt users such as Crobat and Mega Aerodactyl are highly recommended to help prevent Smeargle's entry hazards from being blown away removed by Defog. Likewise, U-turn and Volt Switch users such as Hydreigon, Cobalion, Moltres, and Mega Beedrill can pivot into said Taunt users if needed, though a bit of prediction is required on the player's part. Wallbreakers such as Hydreigon, Haxorus, Entei, Nidoking, Heracross, and Chandelure appreciate the entry hazards that Smeargle provides, as it helps them net key OHKOs and 2HKOs and outrun faster threats. Likewise, sweepers such as Feraligatr, Salamence, Cobalion, and Venomoth also like being able to get some KOs they wouldn't normally get, as well as cleaners such as Sharpedo, Yanmega, Mega Beedrill, and Choice Scarf Krookodile. Pokemon with the ability Defiant, such as Tornadus and Braviary, can switch into and take advantage of opposing Defog users, which is a great help for Sticky Web and other entry hazard-stacking teams. Smeargle should be paired with Pokemon that can switch into and threaten Pokemon looking to remove Smeargle's entry hazards; for example, Toxicroak can switch into and start setting up on Empoleon, while Tyrantrum and Mega Aerodactyl can take care of Crobat. Ghost-types such as Chandelure and Doublade also make for excellent teammates, as they are being able to spinblock efforts to remove entry hazards through the use of Rapid Spin.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Smeargle has a plethora of other options due to it learning almost every move in the game. Toxic Spikes can be used in the third slot on the main set if you feel as though your team needs it. Explosion makes Smeargle go out with a boom, which gives its team momentum and chip damage as well as blocking Defog and Rapid Spin for one turn. Smeargle can utilize Baton Pass to pass moves such as Swords Dance, Nasty Plot, Agility, or even Belly Drum to a teammate; however, this strategy is no longer as effective due to the new Baton Pass clause. A combination of Endeavor and Extreme Speed can be used to KO leads or can even be saved for later in a match to act as a clutch check to setup sweepers if entry hazards are kept off of Smeargle's side of the field. Trick Room is a cool option for teams with slow and powerful Pokemon. Overheat can 2HKO Forretress, but doesn't have much use outside of that. Rapid Spin could be used to remove entry hazards that are laid down set up against Smeargle. If Smeargle has already done its job, Memento can provide a setup opportunity for a teammate, although Smeargle's low Speed means that it usually won't be able to pull it off. Mental Herb blocks Taunt from Pokemon such as Infernape and Azelf, though this compromises Smeargle's Focus Sash and it already gets access to Magic Coat. Whirlwind allows Smeargle to phaze out Pokemon that get cheeky and try to use Smeargle as setup bait. Speaking of getting cheeky, Nuzzle allows Smeargle to paralyze and slow down faster Pokemon for its teammates, though it conflicts with Spore a little bit.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Magic Bounce**: Espeon and Mega Absol can bounce all of Smeargle's move back at itself, rendering it completely useless.

**Taunt Users**: Pokemon that carry Taunt such as Azelf, Infernape, Mega Aerodactyl, and Crobat can completely shut down Smeargle if it is not running Magic Coat and do anything they want from there.

**Hazard Removal**: Once Smeargle has fainted, spinners such as Mega Blastoise and Defoggers such as Crobat and Empoleon can remove entry hazards from the field, although spinners need to be wary of Ghost-types.

**Non-Sucker Punch Priority Users**: Pokemon that carry priority moves that aren't Sucker Punch such as Abomasnow, Arcanine, Infernape, Lucario, and Mamoswine can pick off Smeargle and limit it to only setting up one entry hazard.

**Faster Pokemon**: Pokemon such as Roserade, Hydreigon, Salamence, and Cobalion can outspeed Smeargle and limit it to setting up one entry hazard. Roserade in particular can actually prevent Smeargle from getting setting any entry hazards up with Sleep Powder and proceed to 2HKO with Giga Drain, though Sleep Powder's accuracy is something to watch out for.
1/2

Last edited:

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
GP 2/2
[OVERVIEW]

Smeargle fills a unique niche in the UU metagame as an entry hazard lead with access to sleep-inducing moves. It gets access to almost every move in the game, but subpar offensive stats relegate it to using passive moves. This isn't necessarily bad, however, as Smeargle makes for a great support Pokemon that can beat most other leads if you play it right. Smeargle faces some competition as a Sticky Web user from Shuckle, which has more bulk and has room to use a Mental Herb to dodge Taunt for one turn. However, Smeargle's higher Speed and access to Spore, Taunt, and Magic Coat are enough to differentiate itself from its competition and carve a decent niche for itself. Still, though its base 75 Speed isn't bad by any means, it causes Smeargle to get outsped by common offensive Pokemon such as Hydreigon, Salamence, and Mega Aerodactyl, which can limit Smeargle to setting up only one entry hazard because of its terrible defenses. Additionally, Smeargle is vulnerable to Taunt due to its passive nature, though Magic Coat mitigates this somewhat.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Spore is useful to put opposing Pokemon to sleep, giving Smeargle more time to set up entry hazards. Dark Void can be used instead if you're worried about Grass-types such as Mega Abomasnow and Chesnaught or Overcoat users such as Mandibuzz and Escavalier, though the accuracy is off-putting. Stealth Rock secure KOs for offensive Pokemon and also gets residual damage on Flying-types and Levitate users
, which that can avoid other entry hazards. Sticky Web lowers the Speed of opposing grounded Pokemon, giving slower offensive Pokemon such as Chandelure and Hydreigon a chance to shine. Spikes is an option if you're not running a team that is centered around Sticky Web, as it gets more residual damage. Taunt is almost mandatory so that Smeargle can shut down Defoggers and not lose the entry hazards that it has worked hard to set up. Alternatively, Magic Coat can be used to reflect opposing entry hazards as well as Taunt, though forgoing Taunt causes Smeargle to get manhandled by Defoggers.

Set Details
========

Maximum investment in Speed and a Timid nature are used to make Smeargle as speedy as possible. The rest of the EVs go into its HP, allowing it to take a few hits. Own Tempo is Smeargle's only usable ability. Focus Sash almost guarantees that Smeargle will set up an entry hazard and is pretty much mandatory because of its terrible defenses.

Usage Tips
========

Smeargle should only be used on hyper offensive builds, as other team archetypes would generally prefer an entry hazard setter with more staying power. Smeargle is best used as a suicide lead to ensure that its Focus Sash will remain intact. When using Smeargle, you should aim to put the foe to sleep first
, (RC) and then set up the entry hazard that benefits you the most in that situation. Be sure to use Taunt if you predict a switch to a Defogger that is faster than Smeargle.

Team Options
========

Taunt users such as Crobat and Mega Aerodactyl are highly recommended to help prevent Smeargle's entry hazards from being removed by Defog. Likewise, U-turn and Volt Switch users such as Hydreigon,
Cobalion, Moltres, and Mega Beedrill, and Cobalion can pivot into said Taunt users if needed, though a bit of prediction is required on the player's part. Wallbreakers such as Hydreigon, Haxorus, Entei, Nidoking, Heracross, and Chandelure appreciate the entry hazards that Smeargle provides, as it helps them net key OHKOs and 2HKOs and outrun faster threats. Likewise, sweepers such as Feraligatr, Salamence, Cobalion, and Venomoth also like being able to get some KOs they wouldn't normally get, as do well as cleaners such as Sharpedo, Yanmega, Mega Beedrill, and Choice Scarf Krookodile. Pokemon with the ability Defiant, such as Tornadus and Braviary, can switch into and take advantage of opposing Defog users, which is a great help for Sticky Web and other hazard-stacking teams. Smeargle should be paired with Pokemon that can switch into and threaten Pokemon looking to remove Smeargle's entry hazards; for example, Toxicroak can switch into and start setting up on Empoleon, while Tyrantrum and Mega Aerodactyl can take care of Crobat. Ghost-types such as Chandelure and Doublade also make for excellent teammates, as they are able to spinblock.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Smeargle has a plethora of other options due to it learning almost every move in the game. Toxic Spikes can be used in the third slot on the main set if you feel as though your team needs it. Explosion makes Smeargle go out with a boom, which gives its team momentum and chip damage as well as blocking Defog and Rapid Spin for one turn. Smeargle can utilize Baton Pass to pass
boosts from a moves such as Swords Dance, Nasty Plot, Agility, or even Belly Drum to a teammate; however, this strategy is no longer as effective due to the new (avoid time-sensitive wording) Baton Pass clause. A combination of Endeavor and Extreme Speed can be used to KO leads or can even be saved for later in a match to act as a clutch check to setup sweepers if entry hazards are kept off of Smeargle's side of the field. Trick Room is a cool option for teams with slow and powerful Pokemon. Overheat can 2HKO Forretress, but it doesn't have much use outside of that. Rapid Spin could be used to remove entry hazards that are set up against Smeargle. If Smeargle has already done its job, Memento can provide a setup opportunity for a teammate, although Smeargle's low Speed means that it usually won't be able to pull it off. Mental Herb blocks Taunt from Pokemon such as Infernape and Azelf, though this compromises Smeargle's Focus Sash and it already gets access to Magic Coat. Whirlwind allows Smeargle to phaze Pokemon that get cheeky and try to use Smeargle as setup bait. Nuzzle allows Smeargle to paralyze and slow down faster Pokemon for its teammates, though it conflicts with Spore a little bit.

Checks and Counters
===================

Entry Hazard Removal**: Once Smeargle has fainted, spinners such as Mega Blastoise and Defoggers such as Crobat and Empoleon can remove entry hazards from the field, although spinners need to be wary of Ghost-types.

**Non-Sucker Punch Priority Users**: Pokemon that carry priority moves that aren't Sucker Punch
, (AC) such as Abomasnow, Arcanine, Infernape, Lucario, and Mamoswine, (AC) can pick off Smeargle and limit it to only setting up one entry hazard.

**Faster Pokemon**: Pokemon such as Roserade, Hydreigon, Salamence, and Cobalion can outspeed Smeargle and limit it to setting up one entry hazard. Roserade in particular can actually prevent Smeargle from setting any entry hazards up with Sleep Powder and proceed to 2HKO with Giga Drain, though Sleep Powder's accuracy is something to watch out for.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)