Smogon ATP Rankings v2

About ten years ago mien made a ranking system for Smogon tournaments based off the ATP rankings used in professional tennis. Each tournament provides a set amount of points awarded based on your finishing position with bigger tournaments awarding more points. As you have probably guessed by now, I have tried my hand at reviving this project and adapting it to the current tournament landscape. Below you will find links to all the sheets I have finished so far. Each sheet contains the standings at the end of the year with points being awarded from every trophy and circuit tournament as well as all the qualifying tournaments.

This probably isn’t comprehensive, sorry
  • Non-trophy tournaments now reward significantly fewer points in order to better highlight the prestige difference between tournaments.
  • Attempted to link the point values of Smogon tournaments with actual ATP tournaments, so like circuit playoffs are now roughly equivalent to Masters and trophy tournaments equivalent to Grand Slams.
  • Adjusted point totals for each "non-standard" trophy tournament to award the winner about 2000 points each, with the potential to award more or less. I sort of settled on the idea to make Classic, Grand Slam, and Tour have the potential for more points while being more volatile while OST and Masters give a guaranteed amount of points. I've tried to keep the range within 200 points +/- though as shown by Classic this year, sometimes players that only just qualify for top 16 can end up being undervalued, but at the time I don't want to make the tournament too valuable just to offset one down year.
  • Changed OLT scoring to award points for ladder performance as opposed to solely being based on finishing position in the playoffs.
  • Removed points for managers in team tournaments to try to keep the sheet focused on results in-game.
  • Expanded WCOP scoring to include teams that didn't qualify.
  • Removed scoring differences for Type A, B, and C tournaments, most reward an already small amount of points that distinguishing between them only served to make the scoring system more complicated without having a significant impact on point totals.

Well now that that's out of the way, I'm happy to say that as of yesterday the 2023 cycle of tournaments is now complete and I'm now able to present the complete standings and the final podium for the year.

lucas.png

2. Vert
ost.png.m.png
Pblue.png

2023 Highlights:
- OST XIX Winner
- SS Circuit Champion
- OLT X Finalist
- Ubers Circuit Finalist
5975 Points
wcop2023germany.png

1. MichaelderBeste2
tour.png.m.png
1695001107602.png

2023 Highlights:
- Smogon Tour 35 Winner
-Smogon Masters I Winner
- SPL XIV Semi-Finalist
- WCOP 2023 Semi-Finalist
- SCL III Semi-Finalist
6648 Points

wcop2023spain2.png

3. SoulWind
worldcup.png

2023 Highlights:
- WCOP 2023 Champion
- SPL XIV Finalist
- Smogon Tour 35 Semi-Finalist
-Grand Slam XII Semi-Finalist
5129 Points

Full Standings 2023

If see anything that should be added, removed, adjusted, or improved let me know.
Also if you have changed your name over the past year, your results may be split between the two names, lmk and I'll fix it.

- - -
Year-End Standings

- - -

Genuinely, if you have any suggestions that will improve this project please let me know.
Shout-outs to TPP and Finchinator for your support​

This is super cool stuff - all of your posts like these are really enlightening.

Would there be a way to play with circuit weighting based on participant count in the constituent tournaments? You've already weighted the tournaments, but the circuit itself appears to be a flat 1000 regardless of how many people were ever reasonably in contention for the ribbon. Although many of the circuit high-rollers from tiers like Monotype and BSS don't show up in trophy tours like SCL or ST because it's not relevant to them, so perhaps it sorts itself out in the end.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)