Playoffs Smogon Grand Slam IV - Play-offs - No Winner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
So why exactly could this decision not be made earlier?
It's funny you know how some people can't really fathom the complexity behind the decisions that go into something like this and level to which we dissect the evidence given to us and how to proceed, since the decision that we make here affects decisions we make in the future, so we kinda want to get things right.

This is ignoring the fact that this is now the second big tournament in the last year that's been completely ripped apart by an instance(s) of cheating and you can begin to understand that maybe we wanted to let things cool and ensure nothing else was going to pop out of the woodwork before proceeding.

And hey, the lead host of this tournament also has a life, as do the rest of us, so discussions didn't exactly happen in a timely manner, our bad. Can't really blame us on this one in particular since it wasn't a decision any of us were too thrilled about making.

Nails

Double Threat
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
tbh all 3 of these guys are great ppl and would make fine winners, so go bouff because he's an awoo but i'm legit ok with any of them

great call tds :D

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
what a cowardly decision lol

go krabby tho
I mean, you'll have to inform me how calling the tournament dead is less cowardly, because to me that seems to be the easier decision, but then it assumes that we either or all: trust ~no one~ in the tournament/finals, are willing to completely disregard anybody's else's efforts to get to the finals, and/or assume that Mazar's cheating extended through the whole tournament which could have led to the elimination of more viable finals' candidates. The last one is probably most valid and hard to really make up for at this point, but I personally would rather we declare a winner after all the work the remaining finalists put into the season, and the fact that they did nothing wrong (as far as we know) should mean we should give them a fair shot at the trophy.

The other decision was to just give Bouff the trophy, which is also a valid course but one I personally found undesirable since Mazar probably (or did idr right now) cheat throughout the whole finals, would probably be the most brave decision so I can see how calling the decision we made compared to that as cowardly.

kinglernumeros

or bouff it is fine both are friends :)

sorry teal i dont know you well enough to root for you :(

Sapientia

Wir knutschen
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
It's funny you know how some people can't really fathom the complexity behind the decisions that go into something like this and level to which we dissect the evidence given to us and how to proceed, since the decision that we make here affects decisions we make in the future, so we kinda want to get things right.

This is ignoring the fact that this is now the second big tournament in the last year that's been completely ripped apart by an instance(s) of cheating and you can begin to understand that maybe we wanted to let things cool and ensure nothing else was going to pop out of the woodwork before proceeding.

And hey, the lead host of this tournament also has a life, as do the rest of us, so discussions didn't exactly happen in a timely manner, our bad. Can't really blame us on this one in particular since it wasn't a decision any of us were too thrilled about making.
Advice for the future: Don't announce that Mazar cheated and will lose the trophy, then wait ages until you announce how you will deal with the tournament. Just take the decision first and when you know what you want to do, post everything at once. It doesn't matter if you decided to DQ Mazar one month before making it public, but it just doesn't look very professional if you have a long break between those two announcements and you can avoid people complaining about Grand Slam being dead etc with almost zero effort.

Also Kingler hast this =]

Stratos

Banned deucer.
Advice for the future: Don't announce that Mazar cheated and will lose the trophy, then wait ages until you announce how you will deal with the tournament. Just take the decision first and when you know what you want to do, post everything at once. It doesn't matter if you decided to DQ Mazar one month before making it public, but it just doesn't look very professional if you have a long break between those two announcements and you can avoid people complaining about Grand Slam being dead etc with almost zero effort.

Also Kingler hast this =]
I honestly disagree with this completely. I'm a big fan of being as open with information as possible. As soon as it was confirmed that Mazar cheated, I think the right move is to announce "Mazar cheated; we're not sure how to proceed with this tournament yet because we have to confirm additional details about the situation and we have some big policy decisions we need to make, but stay tuned for future updates"—which is, of course, exactly what they did. There's really no reason to keep the information under wraps unless you're afraid it could mess with an ongoing investigation; transparency is the best policy because most people are understanding when they know the full details. Sure, there's a small number that will always complain about anything, and I'm sure there are more that respectfully disagree with the eventual decision the TDs made but I think that the majority of Smogon is grateful that we were made privy to as much information as was feasible at all steps of the process.

Besides—not that it mattered because he ended up getting benched anyways—but the outcry would be so much greater if, say, mazar had ended up clinching a week that knocked some team out of SPL playoff contention, and then the TDs were like "oh yeah we knew a month ago that he cheated." Holy shit, can you imagine the backlash from that. Definitely better to do what they did.

Pearl

Romance は風のまま
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the 7th Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Champion
Besides—not that it mattered because he ended up getting benched anyways—but the outcry would be so much greater if, say, mazar had ended up clinching a week that knocked some team out of SPL playoff contention, and then the TDs were like "oh yeah we knew a month ago that he cheated." Holy shit, can you imagine the backlash from that. Definitely better to do what they did.
I think you have a pretty good point actually... up until the point you imply Mazar would ever win a game of Pokemon on a team with such harsh anti-ghosting policies like the Ruiners

conspiracy: teal6 is in cahoots with the tds and zarel b/c this decision gives him a monstrous advantage over the other playoffs players

how's he so lucky

Stratos

Banned deucer.
This was what I advocated for with regards to OST :( teal6 gets an extra life but not blunder? Fucking racism
? teal lost to mazar and gets another shot through the bracket. Blunder lost to style and got another shot through the bracket. literally the exact same thing happened to both players wtf are u talking about, do u forget blunder vs whitequeen was OST finals?

teal6

is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
conspiracy: teal6 is in cahoots with the tds and zarel b/c this decision gives him a monstrous advantage over the other playoffs players

how's he so lucky
Hi dice,

I'm unsure if you're joking around or not, apologies if you are because I'm notoriously bad at reading sarcasm over the internet.

But, in the case that you are serious, I would sincerely like to say that I have absolutely no relationship with any of the TDs sans Vinc (my SPL manager) and Isa (who I bother to play RBY every time I see him on SmogTours). While, publicly, I did say that I'd like another chance to play GS, I can assure you I attempted no effort to sway any TD decision - hell, I didn't even know about this despite Vinc running the tournament until it was posted. I did ask about a week ago but was refused any information, which seems appropriate really as a TD council should act like judges, not politicians, but it was out of curiosity (do I have to build 6 teams btwn SPL + GS this week?) rather than an attempt to make anyone change their mind on anything.

Also, to be honest, unless you count "Driver in the UU PS room" as influential, I've got a severe lack of decision-making friends, I wouldn't really know where to begin to get something nudged in my favor.

Personally, though, I think the decision makes sense, if only for the precedent set in Smogon Classic with regard to McMeghan and Prankster. However I did not publicize my thoughts on that to anyone, for fear that my opinion was colored by bias, which I recognize is a distinct possibility.

Either way, had I not received another chance to play in GS, I had planned to ask Kingler (and, should I win, Bouff) to play a Bo5 in the GS tiers as we would otherwise. However nice the 20 (beautifully colored) pixels would be below my name, I've already gotten what I wanted from GS - I made a ton of friends in the community, became a much better player, learned a lot about the highs and the lows of this game we all play.

I do enjoy the feeling of winning more than anything, and I think a lot of that drives me to play at my best hopefully, so another shot at that is great, but whether it ends in a little image below my Liverpool quote or not is secondary to the rest of it all, really.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)