Playoffs Smogon Grand Slam IV - Play-offs - No Winner

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand the concern about not publicising all the information we have but it's not always wise to do so. We shared some of the evidence (although Someone else was going to do it anyway) to show that there was reasoning behind the action but complete transparency can sometimes come at a cost.

Forging evidence to refute existing evidence is easily done (funnily enough we experienced this a lot with Style/Bloo) so we have to be careful with what we show and who we show it to. Forcing the accused to make their case before/without seeing all the evidence allows us to spot inconsistencies and irregularities much more easily.

There's also the role of keeping the anonymity of the informants. A lot of people are vilified for reporting others (even if they aren't friends with the cheater) so giving people the option to do so without being named is something that we can do to both protect them and encourage the sharing of information. I personally believe that between these two reasons there's enough to justify not publicising every bit of information that we possess.

What I will say is that the evidence, while maybe not 100% like what we had with Style, does heavily suggest that ghosting (involving Mazar) took place throughout Grand Slam. More so than the standard "Soge says he ghosted a user" or "this user says they were receiving calcs in a call". This was deemed enough to take action as it obviously should be. That it hasn't always happened in the past has nothing to do with bias (like what some want to claim) and is more to do with the fact that not all TDs think alike and that certain previous TDs were extremely lenient and didn't enforce the rules unless essentially forced to do so. This is obviously an issue as it makes clarity and consistency somewhat difficult to attain but it is something that we are hoping to fix very soon (actually soon and not "Smogon soon").
As to the first reason you stated, I thought the argument phase of the case was over and done with; at this point, I don't expect that a reversal of the decision is very feasible at all no matter what is presented, and to me we're just reflecting on the case as a thing of the past. The second reason is valid, and if this is truly the furthest you can go without compromising involved users, then that's that. It's not my place to pursue that line of inquiry.

Regardless, TDs are appointed as trusted decision makers and they should, ideally, be trusted unconditionally. As much transparency as possible is a good way to avoid "losing the locker room," which I think is very important (and something you were in jeopardy of based on like counts a couple pages ago); as you said, however, you can sometimes only go so far. Thanks for the response.

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
If someone said when Grand Slam started that Kingler12345 would be #3 seed in playoffs and be in the final I probably wouldn't have believed them. He has come extremely far as a player throughout the course of this tournament, and it would be amazing if he won the trophy. However, although I don't know him, Bouff has been one of the best at lower tiers for a long while and would be extremely deserving of the GS trophy.

I'm supporting my friend Kingler12345, but good luck to both

lost ggs, thanks again to all the people who helped me throughout the tournament; sorry I couldn't achieve. thanks to astounded, spirit, dodmen, iplaytennislol/kiyo for tests/team help in their respective tiers and all the people who supported me throughout the tour. also thanks to op/sken/levi/doka who helped me test in LC through spl and playoffs as well as tazz/tahu who gave me LC teams at the start of open. i'm pretty disappointed with the way some of those games played out but i guess it happens.

i'm probably gonna take a bit of a break from mons, considering SPL is over for our team and studies are starting to take priority. this tour was pretty enjoyable and
considering it was the first tour i joined on smogon two years ago, making playoffs and playing some good games gave me a lot in terms of experience.

grats bouff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)