Smogon Simple Questions/Suggestions

Thank you so much!!
You can find the full set of rules for the PU forum here. To have a thread approved, you will have to speak with a forum moderator prior to posting a thread so they can "approve" it. Once they approve your thread, you can post. A Pokemon is viable if it is effective and fares well in the metagame. For example, Landorus-Therian is viable in the OU metagame, due to its access to Stealth Rock combined with good attack and speed stats, etc.
u

I came to smogon so i could learn about competitive pokemon, the strategy pokedex help me so much, and im looking forward to participate on battling 101 as an a apprentice but i dont know why i cant post on the forum to get a tutor :( anybody can help me with that?

QueBien

Nomad, vagabond, call me what you will
I came to smogon so i could learn about competitive pokemon, the strategy pokedex help me so much, and im looking forward to participate on battling 101 as an a apprentice but i dont know why i cant post on the forum to get a tutor :( anybody can help me with that?
Are you trying to post a thread? You cannot. To sign up for the Battling 101 Program, post in the Apprentice Program Round signups thread. I believe the next round is Round 101, so keep an eye out for when the thread for that round opens for sign ups. Follow the rules in the first post to sign up. Spots are taken quickly, so act fast! :)

Are you trying to post a thread? You cannot. To sign up for the Battling 101 Program, post in the Apprentice Program Round signups thread. I believe the next round is Round 101, so keep an eye out for when the thread for that round opens for sign ups. Follow the rules in the first post to sign up. Spots are taken quickly, so act fast! :)
Ok thanks mate i will :3

I just wrote up an entire RMT on Microsoft word, but when i copy and pasted over, only half of the Smogon text-box is used and its just all messed up. Even if i copy a single paragraph and try to move it over the same thing happens, and Smogon treats it like an image i think. Also, what is the best way to add images, as I had uploaded them all to Photobucket and copied the IMG links, but that doesn't seem to have worked. Any help would be so appreciated!

skylight

a sky full of lighters ☆
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I just wrote up an entire RMT on Microsoft word, but when i copy and pasted over, only half of the Smogon text-box is used and its just all messed up. Even if i copy a single paragraph and try to move it over the same thing happens, and Smogon treats it like an image i think. Also, what is the best way to add images, as I had uploaded them all to Photobucket and copied the IMG links, but that doesn't seem to have worked. Any help would be so appreciated!
Try copy pasting it into notepad then into Smogon. You'll have to add the bold/italic etc afterwards but at least it'll show in the textbox. Or try another browser. As for the images did you c/p the direct link and then press the image button on smogon? Because I don't think there's any other way to do it. Otherwise you can use find/replace in word and add to the each time the url appears for a certain image.

A friend of me lost her login credentials of her Smogon account. She also doesn't know the info of her email. Is there any way for her to get her account info back?

Try copy pasting it into notepad then into Smogon. You'll have to add the bold/italic etc afterwards but at least it'll show in the textbox. Or try another browser. As for the images did you c/p the direct link and then press the image button on smogon? Because I don't think there's any other way to do it. Otherwise you can use find/replace in word and add to the each time the url appears for a certain image.
thank you so much, the notepad idea worked :)

So, when X/Y first came out I tried to get into competitive battling. Unfortunately, I found the sport a lot more difficult than I anticipated. However, I've had my interest rekindled, and I'd like to try it out again. However, I have a different plan this time. Previously, I tried to breed my own team doing my own (mostly) solo research. Given the time it takes to breed a team, and the sheer learning curve, it was painfully slow learning. I eventually gave up, not willing to take the chance that the next team I try will be several hours of breeding that still results in me getting slaughtered.

Normally, I dislike Net-decking (or whatever you call it for Pokemon), but I think it may be warranted here. By straight out copying an effective team, I can learn how competitive battling works in general and get a better feel for everything. After enough time with that team, I can start adjusting the team here or there, and eventually, I'll have a strong enough hold on the game to make my own teams from scratch. So I'm asking for advice on a proven effective team I can copy for now. Here's a few ideas as best as I can express them for what I'd prefer.

- Team must be relatively easy to use. If it depends less on knowing how your own skills work, and more on predicting what your opponent will do, it will probably be too hard for me. I can handle keeping track of my own teams strengths, weaknesses and strategies. But when I see an enemy pokemon come out onto the field, I may not even know it's name, much less how it's usually built. Highly re-active teams might not be best.
- Team should be representative of a 'typical' team. My purpose is to learn the game in general, and one-trick pony or gimmick builds aren't going to teach me. I can learn about those as I face them. Exactly where the line for 'gimmicky' is is hard to say. A Trick Room or Weather focused team isn't too gimmicky. I'm not sure if using Baton Pass to move buffs from 3 separate pokemon onto a final sweeper is a thing, but if it is, that's gimmicky. If I knew the game better I could elaborate more, but I hope you understand my general point. The more generally 'instructive' the team is, the sooner I can build my own team.
- I'll get more into the game if the team is one I like. I'm a big fan of Blue decks in Magic The Gathering. Denial, surprises, stalling, and just generally being obnoxious makes my day. In Pokemon, I believe those kinds of things would translate to a decent amount of confusion, paralysis and entry hazards. My ideal team would almost certainly include one Prankster. Alternatively, un-killable walls watching their enemies die a slow Toxic death are also hilarious.
- Lastly, any team containing a Venusaur gets a gold star. It was almost 20 years ago, but I still remember the first day we met :D

I don't know if Net-decking is considered 'dishonorable' or anything by the community, but I assure you I really don't like it myself. I don't see the point in playing a game with highly customizable team/deck -building and not building your own. But unlike the 5-10 years of casual Magic The Gathering, the time spent playing the main story of the Pokemon games prepared me in no way for the sharp cliff wall that is proper competitive battling. Using a functional team should help me learn the theory, and once I have that down, when I know what goes into a good team, I'll be able to do it on my own.

Hi! I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but I found this other thread closed: http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...item-requests-etc-go-here-no-hacking.3522448/

Can anyone with Normal-type Friend Safari add me as a friend in XY? I don't know which Friend Safari I have.
This is the thread you're looking for: http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...item-requests-etc-go-here-no-hacking.3540352/
For friend safaris I can also refer you to reddit if you're looking for a specific one /r/friendsafari/

Just two questions:
1. I don't know if I'm not searching deep enough or something, but where do you get all those pokemon sprites for the signatures? And are there any good sources for pokemon signatures for forums.
2. Are there any requirements for me to become a disciple for battling 101?

QueBien

Nomad, vagabond, call me what you will
Just two questions:
1. I don't know if I'm not searching deep enough or something, but where do you get all those pokemon sprites for the signatures? And are there any good sources for pokemon signatures for forums.
2. Are there any requirements for me to become a disciple for battling 101?
All you have to do is find a sprite online and insert the image into your signature by url. A good site to use for sprites is this one.

To become an apprentice, post in the next signups thread following the rules in the appropriate format. You'll need to be able to access the form of communication your tutor wants, and you will have to set up times with your tutor. Good luck!

hi, i got a question

i just created this account to post this. i lost the login credentials of my smogon account. i also dont have that email account anymore, so i cant recover through email.

is there any other way i can get it back?

Redew

κακκῶ σεαυτόν
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
hi, i got a question

i just created this account to post this. i lost the login credentials of my smogon account. i also dont have that email account anymore, so i cant recover through email.

is there any other way i can get it back?
You'll probably have to talk to a SMod / Admin so they can change your password manually.

I want to get an Alakazam like the one of the first set on the Strategy Pokédex. Does this plan work?

I plan on getting a male Mime Jr. first, levelling it up until it learns Mimic so that it evolves, and then keep training him until it learns Encore.
I will breed this Mr. Mime with Encore with a female Abra with Magic Guard until I get another female Abra with Magic Guard and Encore.
I will breed the last Abra with Ditto until I get 5 or 6 perfect IVs.

Does that work? Can you pass Encore with a male, or does the egg move carrier have to be a female? If the latter is true, can I have a male Abra with Magic Guard breed with a female Mr. Mime with Encore so that the descendant inherits both Magic Guard and Encore? And, at last, if I decide to raise one Abra with 5 perfect IVs, is it OK to make every IV perfect except for the Atk, or should I pick another one, like Defense, since it's already so bad?

I want to get an Alakazam like the one of the first set on the Strategy Pokédex. Does this plan work?

I plan on getting a male Mime Jr. first, levelling it up until it learns Mimic so that it evolves, and then keep training him until it learns Encore.
I will breed this Mr. Mime with Encore with a female Abra with Magic Guard until I get another female Abra with Magic Guard and Encore.
I will breed the last Abra with Ditto until I get 5 or 6 perfect IVs.

Does that work? Can you pass Encore with a male, or does the egg move carrier have to be a female? If the latter is true, can I have a male Abra with Magic Guard breed with a female Mr. Mime with Encore so that the descendant inherits both Magic Guard and Encore? And, at last, if I decide to raise one Abra with 5 perfect IVs, is it OK to make every IV perfect except for the Atk, or should I pick another one, like Defense, since it's already so bad?
In the past, you could only pass egg moves through a male. Gen VI changed it so that both genders can pass egg moves. You cannot breed a male Abra with a female Mr. Mime, as that would give you a Mr. Mime Jr. The Pokemon you get from breeding is always the same species as the female of your breeding pair. Preferably get an Abra with 5 perfect IVs and an imperfect Atk stat. You need as much defense as you can get because, as you've mentioned already, Alakazam's defense is complete garbage.

In the past, you could only pass egg moves through a male. Gen VI changed it so that both genders can pass egg moves. You cannot breed a male Abra with a female Mr. Mime, as that would give you a Mr. Mime Jr. The Pokemon you get from breeding is always the same species as the female of your breeding pair. Preferably get an Abra with 5 perfect IVs and an imperfect Atk stat. You need as much defense as you can get because, as you've mentioned already, Alakazam's defense is complete garbage.
Thank you very much. It was very informative.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)