Smogon Textbook

Status
Not open for further replies.
While sitting in Digital Art at school, I came up with the idea for a Smogon Textbook. The book would include all of the damage formulae and most of the other articles on the site.

I do realize this would cost a horrendous amount of money, but it's an idea.

There could be a math section with all the damage formulas, and stuff of that nature. Then there could be a strategy section, which is pretty self-explanatory.

Just throwing it out there.

What's the point of it? Why would I go out and buy a textbook when I can just print the articles and put them in an organized fashion. Plus, yeah I doubt there would be enough money to get it going. The only advantage I see is having it in an organized, book-like manner, but the disadvantages greatly outweigh the advantages.

Well, it doesn't have to actually be published. It could be an online textbook that can be downloaded and then printed.

Though really, the only point of it would be to have everything ready for easy use (so that you don't have to navigate through smogon) and so that you don't need a computer to access the information.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Print it out yourself. I did, it's not that hard. You just get a binder and a hole punch and print everything you need. It takes like 10 minutes.

Maintaining a printed version of on site articles that barely stay updated on the actual Pokemon site is too much effort for no gain in my opinion.

It would probably better to read it of the Smogon website rather than to print it out and arrange it in textbook form. Don't forget that if there was a Smogon textbook, it would eventually become outdated since Smogon updates it's articles. Printing it out would be a much better idea instead if you don't want to use a computer.

I like the idea of the textbook, but online obviously. It'd be cool to be able to look through a section of RMT's and different formulas and strategies in one place rather than having to look all over for them.

This idea is interesting, only to the point of somebody doing it somewhere, then maintaining it constantly with Smogon's approval.

Now that I think about it, it might make sense. A lot of existing material could be reused, along with some new stuff, grouped together with an overarching structure.

It's true that some aspects might date without regular updating. But then a textbook arguably isn't SUPPOSED to cover the cutting edge of the field. It should go over basic and intermediate concepts. It should cover things relevant to WiFi as well as to Shoddy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)