Smogon's Shoddy Battle Server to be released soon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just out of curiosity, what exactly will having a Smogon server help with? I mean, obviously it'll allow mods the freedom to implement changes much more easily, but to a huge extent aren't many of the changes that would be discussed implemented on the Official server anyway? Wouldn't having a Smogon server in addition to the Official one basically split the battlers into two groups? I'm not saying that I'm against a Smogon server, I'm just wondering what exactly it's gonna add to battling now.

Well for 1 thing, I think this move will encourage some smogoners to play shoddy battle again. I think there should be something else though. Will we have different metagames installed in the ladder like UU and Little Cup? Will we become an all exclusive server for smogon residents? Something to put us apart from the official server. Otherwise why would people jump communities? I don't think we are exactly ready for a double battle system yet but I do think we could use a UU and LC ladder.

edit: when does this new server start? Or is it undecided?
edit 2: seems like we are allowing everyone to come which is cool but again, something is going to have to seperate us from official server.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Ok, I'm retarded. i looked up most of what I said and I'm pretty much wrong. The only disappointing thing about this is that Official will have even less good players in it :(

Glad that there will be ONE set of tiers to use AND a good place to hopefully play Little Cup in.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I am quite frankly.......... stunned by the amount of support for a Little Cup ladder in this thread (UU I expected as lots of people play it and it is an official tier), mostly from people I did not know played or had even read about LC.
If this goes ahead I hope the administration will find it fit to allow us a place to work on analysis for these Pokemon.

Glad that there will be... a good place to hopefully play Little Cup in.
Well I think DJD's is a good place, its what we all use right now and it works fine.

Bass

Brother in arms
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnus
Wasn't this idea proposed before and flat out rejected not only by the smogon staff but almost the entire community? What has caused them to change their minds?

But regardless, I heavily look forward to the release of this server, since I will finally be able to battle in a metagame influenced by knowledgeable players, not simply by statistics.

And why exactly, do you no longer have to worry about Wobbuffet and Garchomp? They are both going to be OU pokemon on the new server, as far as I know.

Roy

streetpkmn
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
this is an excellent move, i cannot wait to see the positive changes the server will bring about,

Mmm, i'm glad it's finally going to happen. It'll be nice to battle more players I know. More Smogoners will play now, and things will stay more relevant in the chat :D. Still, it makes me wonder. What if the official server gets abandoned and everyone transfers to the Smogon one? On the other hand, the Smogon Server could become so hostile skill wise, it'd discourage inexperienced players from going there. That would be awesome, if players' skill levels could maintain an even and exciting field of play.

For one it should be pretty much lagfree :)
This is honestly the main reason I'm looking forward to it. Smogon has great servers and I think that this will not be any different. I'm also happy that Smogon will have more control over what happens in the metagame. I know that there were influential members of Smogon who pushed for the de-uberization of Deoxys-E and Wobbu, but I think it will be much better that it will fall on solely Smogon to determine any drastic changes that seemed to be out of our hands earlier.

Can't wait.

Can we save it on a floppy disk?

(Just kidding)

Great news. This is a large step forward. All the work is much appreciated.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Wasn't this idea proposed before and flat out rejected not only by the smogon staff but almost the entire community? What has caused them to change their minds?

But regardless, I heavily look forward to the release of this server, since I will finally be able to battle in a metagame influenced by knowledgeable players, not simply by statistics.
I think the biggest thing that's changed is time. Smogon's gone through huge changes in the past year. I remember coming to this site for the first time in April 07 and the front page said it was still in beta and looked completely different. Boards seemed to be smaller than they are now. Look at what it's at now. It didn't happen overnight. chaos has been a busy man and so has the rest of the staff.

If you guys want more progress and new things, help out!

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
A pokémon battle simulator, a Smogon server, possibly new bans (or quite the opposite!)...

We just need Brazilians spamming random shit about chaos' mother and we'll have Netbattle v2.0! Can't get better than this (at least for now).

By the way, a question about the bans: Will the Smogon server really have a different ban list than Official's and a "test" ladder?

We just need Brazilians spamming random shit about chaos' mother and we'll have Netbattle v2.0! Can't get better than this (at least for now).
Count me in! lol jk

Anyway, I don't really care much about Shoddy since I play Wi-Fi, but if an UU ladder is implemented, then I'm surely going to care a lot. ♥

WTF Brazilians? chaos's mother? o_O

I...actually don't know if this is as significant as I feel it should be. The biggest advantage I can see is a userbase that's (presumably) better at battling than average Joe on the Official Server. If nothing else, the main chat won't be eternally off topic. </apathy>

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Actually, the brazilians are quite content spamming the CAP server. And it doesn't matter how many you ban, there are always 10 more.

A test ladder seems like a bad idea imo. People know it won't really affect their rankings and therefore won't be as motivated to win, skewing results. I think holding tests on the regular ladder is better, if only because overcentralization is easier to see when suddenly Manaphy is unbanned and everyone is vying to keep their position.

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
I take it that competitor is cancelled?
Heh, um if you've actually read the thread, you'd know that competitor isn't cancelled. Chris is me knows that very well.

I love the idea of having a smogon server. Now that a lot of older smogoners are going to start playing again because of it, I may actually play a lot more as well, since I've always wanted to see them in pokemon combat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)