#smogonvgc Live Tournament Week 11 - Zapdos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi everyone, in an effort to promote activity here in the VGC subforum, we'll be holding a practice tournament this Friday at 5 pm US central time (GMT -5). If this tournament goes over well enough, we'll do more like it and hopefully have more fun stuff for everyone. This week, we'll be giving away a Timid HP Ice Zapdos (soft reset by mattj) to everyone that enters the tournament to use in future live tournaments, or one of the many premier challenges being held across the US (and the world?).

This week, TheMantyke , lucariojr, and maybe someone else will be running the bracket.

View the bracket and sign up for the tournament here.

The link for the IRC channel, #smogonvgc is Here.

You will need to check in one hour before the tournament begins to participate.

Additionally, we're aiming to record the finals and put them up on the official Smogon Youtube Channel! This should go without saying, but please, if you make it to the finals, save your Battle Videos and post them here!

if we don't get the battle video up on youtube soon after the tournament, please pester us about it. we probably deserve it.

The rules are simple:
  • Flat Doubles, pentagon Pokemon ONLY. Basic VGC rules here, folks. If it's not allowed on ORAS Battle Spot, it isn't allowed here.
  • For the purpose of having the tournament run on time, strategies such as Minimize are STRONGLY discouraged. Id' like to keep this tournament fun and fast; these strategies are neither.
  • Competitors will need a copy of Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire to enter.
  • The tournament will be Swiss, best of one with a top cut (with best of three matches) that will be determined by how many people enter (or depending on time constraints)
  • Each round will last a maximum of 30 minutes. If the match is not completed within the timeframe, it will be up to the host to decide who wins or who loses.
  • If there is a disconnection, it will be up to the host to decide who wins or who loses. Make sure to have a camera handy to get some proof if you're nervous about this.
  • Since this is a non-weighted practice tournament, you may change your team between rounds. However, it might be better practice for you not to do so.
  • You must join the IRC channel #smogonvgc in order to participate.

Thunderbird - Zapdos
Nature: Timid - Ability: Pressure
IVs: 31/8/30/29/31/31
Thunderbolt - Hidden Power Ice - Heat Wave - Tailwind
This week, we have a Kalos native Zapdos courtesy of mattj. Zapdos always seems to be a solid choice over the years in VGC and this year is no different. Tailwind and Roost combined with its beastly Special Attack and solid movepool mean it's not to be taken lightly

So even if you're not confident in your skills or your team, remember that this is just for practice and that you're getting a free Zapdos. Stop by #smogonvgc this Friday to show your support for VGC on Smogon! I hope to see you then!

HOW TO RECEIVE ZAPDOS:
  • Note: Zapdos will not start being distributed until 3:30 PM CST. Please follow these instructions then.
  • Step 1: Catch a Cacnea
  • Step 2: Offer the Cacnea for a Zapdos on the GTS. If you haven't registered Zapdos in your Pokedex yet, you can type its name in at the bottom.
  • Step 3: Enter your username that you entered the tournament with in the message box, or simply put #smogonvgc. If you don't do this, you'll be ignored!
  • Step 4: At about 3:30pm CST (90 minutes before tournament begins), our distributor will start giving out the Zapdos. Refresh the GTS to receive your Zapdos. Enjoy!
10 weeks of this is great, we've been here for a 5th of the year! Let's hope there's even more to come

Last edited:
First week I can actually make one. Looking forward to participating and giving my new (probably terribad) team a try.

I've been looking for a zapdos like that for a while. I haven't played in a couple weeks because of school, but I should be able to participate for this one.

Sadly can't make it out this week :/ good luck to all that enter! The last couple have been a lot of fun to participate in and I -think- I'm finally happy with where my team is after trying out strategies through these tourneys. Can't wait to join back up next week.

Sign me up, because these tournaments are amazing!

Also, what is the point of having Zapdos timid, wouldn't it be better with modest or bold?

I'd join but I work at 7 PST :( good luck to those who participate!

Wait, this starts at 1:30 my time... Sign me up! I'll be busy before this, but hopefully I can make it!

Also, what is the point of having Zapdos timid, wouldn't it be better with modest or bold?
So it can outspeed things *without* Tailwind, or get a jump on things like Modest Char-Y that it can 2HKO but can 2HKO back if it outruns you? :P
Modest and Bold are more popular (I think?) but Timid isn't bad.

Working during the entire tourney today, meaning you shall all be spared from the horror of Mandibuzz me typing in FCs wrong 6 times in a row.

For our international players, please remember that daylight savings happened in America. The tournament starts in 25 minutes. Please sign up and check in asap!

These threads should be made in a bit more timely manner. I actually would have entered this week if it was made when I looked in this section.

These threads should be made in a bit more timely manner. I actually would have entered this week if it was made when I looked in this section.
Sorry, we generally do these the night before or two days before to prevent people from signing up and forgetting. We can experiment with posting them earlier I suppose. The general rule of thumb though is we're here every friday at 5pm CST.

Sorry, we generally do these the night before or two days before to prevent people from signing up and forgetting. We can experiment with posting them earlier I suppose. The general rule of thumb though is we're here every friday at 5pm CST.
Btw, the gmt time in the OP is wrong. It says it's "5 pm US central time (GMT -6)", but because of DST it's actually GMT -5. It's minor but I almost missed the tourney because of that.

Btw, the gmt time in the OP is wrong. It says it's "5 pm US central time (GMT -6)", but because of DST it's actually GMT -5. It's minor but I almost missed the tourney because of that.
Yeah, sorry about that. America just went through Daylight savings time and I wasn't made aware Europe hadn't had it yet until a little before the tournament began.

Semi-final matches against Melee_Mewtwo:
Game 1: 7VRG-WWWW-WWXK-HXS3
Game 2: 7YDW-WWWW-WWXK-H2X7
Game 3: EWQG-WWWW-WWXK-H285

Finals against PortugueseFalkner:
Game 1: 3DYG-WWWW-WWXK-HWYE
Game 2: CZNG-WWWW-WWXK-HWM8
Game 3: NVWW-WWWW-WWXK-HWP4

GG guys, very well played.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)