Snorlax

Maybe a variation of the Curselax is possible?

Curselax V2@Leftovers
158 HP / 172 Def / 180 SpD
Relaxed
Immunity/Thick Fat
-Outrage
-Fire Punch
-Curse
-Yawn/Earthquake/Substitute

Theres abit of merit in a big bulky and powerful Outrage user who isn't weak to dragon. EV's might need to be fixed up abit though but Outrage + Fire Punch hits everything in the game neutral cept for Heatran.

Snorlax@Red Card
Immunity
Relaxed
-Body Slam
-Counter
-Whirlwind/Yawn/Crunch
-Recycle

Obligatory gimmick Snorlax.

People may find it hard to justify him for a team spot, but I don't think Lax is going anywhere. He's easily one of the best Shandera counters you can get - he resists both of its STABs, isn't terribly weak to HP fighting like Tyranitar, and isn't set-up bait like Blissey. Lax can take a hit and retaliate with either earthquake or crunch, and can even pursuit it if it tries to run.

However, I still don't like his choice band set - imo, it has always hindered Lax more than it helped him, since he gets easily walled after the first attack and is forced to switch. Also, choiced normal attacks could be disastrous if shadow tag Shandera is permitted in standard play. To me, his best sets are still his curse set and the straightforward "attacking tank" with leftovers. He's still incredibly hard to KO, and has the movepool and attack to hurt everything in the game. Body slam, earthquake, and crunch are standard. For the last slot, he has a lot of options. He can run fire punch to beat up troublesome steel types like Scizor, Skarmory, Genosect, and Nattorei. Ice punch to check dragons. Thunderpunch if you're worried about Gyarados (and it helps against Skarm). Yawn or whirlwind to phaze. Pursuit to trap specially based ghosts and psychics. Or you could always just run self-destruct (which is still a very powerful last resort move).

Along with Tyranitar, I can see Snorlax being the go-to special tank for offensively based teams. You still can't beat Blissey for full-blown stall, but her role is going to have to be more specialized than ever with the introduction of shadow tag Shandera, psycho shock, and niche status pokes like Erufuun and magic mirror Espeon.

lmitchell0012

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
To say that he counters shanderaa well would be an understatement. With thick fat, he can sponge shanderaa's fire type attacks all day, and since he's a normal type he's immune to his ghost type moves. Also, shanderaa doesn't get trick, so he can't cripple snorlax like other ghost types can. Yes, I think snorlax will definitely find a spot on my team (IMO curselax is probably the best set for countering shanderaa, but other sets work as well).

Curselax V2@Leftovers
Relaxed
Immunity/Thick Fat
-Outrage
-Fire Punch
-Curse
This is a terrible set.

Outrage is much weaker than STAB Return, and locks you in. Any Fighting type will come in and OHKO you while you can't switch out.

Anyway, I think Snorlax's best use is a Choice Bander, with Pursuit to nail special attackers.

Switch into stuff like Starmie that can't do much damage to you, and Pursuit them.

Curselax V2@Leftovers
Relaxed
Immunity/Thick Fat
-Outrage
-Fire Punch
-Curse
Actually not a bad set. This means that you have much fewer things that can wall you, as Dragon is amazing coverage. Snorlax isn't beating fighting types anyways and it's much better than having to choose between hitting Ghosts and Rocks/Steels. Heatran is still a problem, though.

Also, I'd say Rest should be slot 4. Kinda like Gen 3 Curselax.

Actually, try:
-Return
-Wild Bolt
-Curse
-Rest/Filler

Normal-Electric isn't bad coverage, and mainly misses out on Rock-Grounds + Steelix + Rotom, but they all suck.

Just thought I'd pitch in that Rest-Talk Snorlax was (and will probably still be) one of the best special tanks. Using Crunch and Earthquake as its attacks hit most common special attackers for super effective damage. The biggest problem with this set is when Snorlax has to go to sleep. Sleep Talk, well, sucks.

Best set ever:

Nature Adamant
EVs: 252 HP 252 Atk
Item: Custap
Ability: Gluttony
Moves:
Belly Drum
Self Destruct
--
--

Shanderaa, I dare you to show your face in OU (once shadow tag gets banned, which it hopefully will).
currently it IS banned, but it may not be later. DW abilities are not legal on smogon until they're released ingame.

as for snorlax, this gen didn't really help him much, but i still think curselax has merit. I've used it many times successfully in gen4, as most people aren't looking out for it

Rofl the first person who uses Salac berry aginst me gets a cookie.Well its sad how they make Snorelax worse and worse every gen....He really didn't gain anything new did he?Oh and THE REAL best set ever

Snorelax @ Choice Band
Adamant
252 Hp/252 Atk/4 Def
Thick Fat

-Last resort.
- -
- -
- -

Lol so much win.

Snorlax @ Chesto Berry
Adamant
168 HP/104 Def/236 SpDef
Thick Fat
- Earthquake
- Crunch
- Rest
- Recycle

What is the probability that a set like this could be successful?

Rest is Snorlax's only way to restore HP, but Sleep Talk is extremely unreliable. So, Recycle is used to recover the use of Lax's Chesto Berry. Earthquake and Crunch offer good coverage, hitting the majority of prominent special attackers for super effective damage. The EVs and nature are my best guess at what would make a successful defensive set. I would appreciate comments.

Pursuit might be viable to hit switching Starmie or Gengar. I would run Return as STAB in the first slot, though, otherwise it's setup bait for levitators and fliers.

Snorlax falls behind every Gen, and it's really quite sad. He is one of my favourite Pokemon. I was hoping for Slack Off to give him some reliable, and quite suitable, recovery, to help him get off more Curses. But with Close Combat, HJK and Superpower everywhere, he's not really going to improve.

Hopefully the 3rd game will bring in some tutors that will possibly help him out a bit. It's unfortunate that the game is very much sliding in a direction that even new moves might not help that he is a slow Normal type.

lmitchell0012

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
Snorlax falls behind every Gen, and it's really quite sad. He is one of my favourite Pokemon. I was hoping for Slack Off to give him some reliable, and quite suitable, recovery, to help him get off more Curses. But with Close Combat, HJK and Superpower everywhere, he's not really going to improve.

Hopefully the 3rd game will bring in some tutors that will possibly help him out a bit. It's unfortunate that the game is very much sliding in a direction that even new moves might not help that he is a slow Normal type.
He should have gotten slack off. I mean, come on! It's Snorlax! He's probably the second laziest pokemon there is (after slaking of course).

Snorlax (M) @ Leftovers Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Def / 212 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Curse
- Body Slam
- Crunch
- Rest

This set is actually ridiculously good. Come in after the enemies Fighting type has been eliminated (Almost every team I have faced has had a fighting type Blaziken/Roopushin/Breloom/Kojondo/Ect...) and begin to curse up. With this spread and a sassy nature he reaches 339 Sp.Def and 524 HP. Shanderaa's Flamethrower only does 7% damage, and all other special attacks do about the same. Cursing up then becomes really simple as after 1-2 curses almost all attacks do pretty much nothing. When the opponent Burns/Toxics you you laugh and continue to Curse. When you eventually get to less then half your health (You should be at about +3 by this time) You rest it off and the start pounding away.

Do NOT go above +3 unless you know your opponent does not have a Ditto. At +3 Snorlax is capable of surviving ditto and cursing up once more to beat it. Any higher and it becomes a stall fest (Admittedly short as ditto lacks Snorlaxs massive HP). Yes you can beat Ditto's at +6 due to your higher Base HP and crunches secondary effect (Lowers enemies defense) But a crit at those levels of attack is downright scary, and will end your chances of beating it.

Pokemon this set has issues with:

Nattorie - Leech Seed and lack of damage against it are the main issues here. Leech Seed is actually worse then Toxic on this particular Snorlax due to it not being cured when it rests.

Roopushin - 140 base attack Fighting STAB should explain enough. If that isn't enough for you imagine all of your Snorlaxs health going into its body and curing it of all damage you might inflict on it (Drain Punch).

Basically any Fighting Type Mon - Mostly because Snorlax is too slow to do enough damage to beat them before they beat you into a pulp.

Some Ideas I had on this set that I haven't tested yet:

Using the Apicot Berry to raise you Sp.Def so that taking you out becomes even harder. Basically you curse till the Berry activates, then rest. The loss of leftovers might hurt you a bit though.

Trololol gluttony snorlax, though it does fit him well, he still deserves slack off. A gimmick could be to run a curse Set and a SpD boosting berry + rest, so he can really take those special hits better after he has a few curses up. Its not really worth it... because thick fat and leftovers is just a 1000 times better, but its about the best use of gluttony I can see.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The only thing Snorlax can really do this gen is CB. You want that CB Pursuit for Shandera, the Lati twins, and other sweepers that can't hurt you, then CB Return/Body Slam to wail on those Fighting type switch-ins.

I really wouldn't bother with Curse this time around. It's bad enough you had Machamp tossing him around last gen, but now we add Roopushin to that list, one of the top threats in the current meta, who can just Bulk Up alongside you and sweep your team afterward.

I don't understand GF. They gave Slack Off to Infernape. INFERNAPE! What does 'Nape possibly need with instant recovery?!

And then they denied Slack Off to Snorlax, who LITERALLY SLACKS OFF! It's Pokedex entry says that all it does is eat and sleep! How is that not slacking off?!

They disgust me.

I don't understand GF. They gave Slack Off to Infernape. INFERNAPE! What does 'Nape possibly need with instant recovery?!

And then they denied Slack Off to Snorlax, who LITERALLY SLACKS OFF! It's Pokedex entry says that all it does is eat and sleep! How is that not slacking off?!

They disgust me.
Yeeeaaah trollfreaks been putting in serious work lately...is their and anti-trollfreak social group?

On topic: I love snorlax, it's so cute and large,like a giant pillow :> the new fighting types give him a huge problem though(why do they all learn drain punch?) In all honesty I think Snorlax is going to be better then Blissy this gen(thanks shandera!)

Yeeeaaah trollfreaks been putting in serious work lately...is their and anti-trollfreak social group?

On topic: I love snorlax, it's so cute and large,like a giant pillow :> the new fighting types give him a huge problem though(why do they all learn drain punch?) In all honesty I think Snorlax is going to be better then Blissy this gen(thanks shandera!)
There needs to be.

Yes. Yes it is.

Who uses Drain Punch anyway?

The only thing Snorlax can really do this gen is CB. You want that CB Pursuit for Shandera, the Lati twins, and other sweepers that can't hurt you, then CB Return/Body Slam to wail on those Fighting type switch-ins.

I really wouldn't bother with Curse this time around. It's bad enough you had Machamp tossing him around last gen, but now we add Roopushin to that list, one of the top threats in the current meta, who can just Bulk Up alongside you and sweep your team afterward.
CB is really an inferior option on Snorlax. It lacks the speed to be an effective revenge killer, and his STAB can't touch ghosts. Basically you would be asking for a death sentence if you locked yourself into Return, as Shanderaa could come in set up and sweep your entire team with +6 Sp.Atk and speed.

You wouldn't send Salamence in against a ScarfChomp using outrage, or keep him in if it comes in to revenge you. You don't keep Heatran in against Blissey, especially if you lack Explosion. Same goes for Snorlax. don't use him against the Fighting types. Get rid of the threats to him first before you send him in, the same way you would do with any other set up sweeper on your team.

I mean no hard feelings but just because a poke is weak to a certain type doesn't mean you should instantly say "Oh its only good set is this, because this guy can kill him." No single Pokemon has no counters. None, even Ubers. Every Pokemon out there is beat by something else, and that is the way it works.

On that note though I don't expect to see Curselax dominating the leaderboard. Heck I actually expect this to be a pretty fluent Metagame with a lot of Leader switching. I do know that Curselax has the bulk to come in on any Special sweeper and pose a threat though.

The belly drum and Choice sets look a little risky to me given that your primary STAB is widely resisted and you only have one chance to attack if you mispredict, thanks to your low speed. The Belly Drum/Cutsap set seems interesting, especially with a move like Heavy Bomber or Crunch that will deal damage even if resisted, but is it much more than a one-for-one KO? With no lefties, no Immunity or Thick Fat, abysmal speed, and 50+% health shaved off, it will be hard surviving after your one kill.

My favorite set in DPPT was Offensive Lax: Lefties and Body Slam/EQ/Crunch/Selfdestruct. Spread paralysis, wall, and hit hard with flexibility. It might fail against Nattorei now.

There's also good old sub-punch Snorlax. Sub on special attacks and beat most of your conventional counters. The main problem is that you lack recovery, but I'll just put it out there.

Snorlax @ leftovers
Thick Fat, Adamant
4 Hp / 252 Atk / 252 Sp.D
-Substitute
-Body Slam
-Crunch
-Focus Punch

You slam Nattorei and Lucario, Burungeru can't touch you from behind a sub, and Body Slam / Focus Punch scares a lot of enemies with potential paralysis and high power, respectively.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)