So will this work?

Alright everyone, im making a memento battle tower team, please critique it at will. My overall goal with this team is to at least reach 50.

Jumpluff @ widelens chloropyll
Jolly 252 spd 252 hp 6 def
Sleep powder
Memento
Cotten spore
Bounce

My lead, I figure my jumpluff is fast enough to get the sleep powder in, then hit em with the memento to stack swords dance. The last two moves were pretty much filler.

Scizor @ lum berry/metal coat tech.
Adament 252 atk 252 sp. Def 6 hp
Bullet punch
Superpower
Bug bite
Swords dance

Well I figure to at least get two turns off the sleep powder,and be durable enough to survive a fire attack. Then just sweep everyone.

Arcanine @ life orb flash fire
hardy 252 atk 252 sp. Atk 6 hp
Extremespeed
Flareblitz
Thunderfang
Dragon pulse

If anything were to survive that I believe my arcanine can take out whatever may remain on the field.

michael

m as in mancy
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Jumpluff @ widelens chloropyll
Jolly 252 spd 252 hp 6 def
Sleep powder
Memento
Cotton spore
Bounce

I would replace this with a standard SubSeed set for Jumpluff. Memento is not really that viable a strategy unless your Jumpluff can remove an opponent first, leaving you 2-1 up. A better moveset would therefore be Sleep Powder / Substitute / Leech Seed / Memento or Encore. With Encore Jumpluff can give an easier opportunity to switch in for Scizor multiple times, while Memento basically lets Scizor or Arcanine set up for free once.

Jumpluff (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 188 Def/252 Spd/68 SpDef
Timid nature (+Spd,-Atk)
- Encore or Memento
- Leech Seed
- Sleep Powder
- Substitute

Scizor @ lum berry/metal coat tech.
Adament 252 atk 252 sp. Def 6 hp
Bullet punch
Superpower
Bug bite
Swords dance

This looks good, but I would replace Superpower with Brick Break for greater reliability over time and would use a spread of 248 HP/252 Atk/8 Spd for greater overall bulk. Breaking screens, etc. with Brick Break is also a bonus.

Scizor (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd or 248 HP/252 Atk/8 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk,-SpAtk)
- Brick Break
- Bug Bite
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance

Arcanine @ life orb flash fire
hardy 252 atk 252 sp. Atk 6 hp
Extremespeed
Flare Blitz
Thunder Fang
Dragon Pulse

Arcanine can work as a late-game sweeper, but to be honest Infernape or Gyarados would work more effectively. Infernape has greater speed and mixed attacking stats while Gyarados has excellent bulk, especially with its resistance to Fire and neutrality to Ice, as well as the ability to set up Dragon Dances easily with Memento or Encore support. Infernape would be effective with a mixed attacking set such as those given in the DPPt analyses. However, Arcanine can still function in this position with the following moveset:

Arcanine @ Life Orb
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spd
- ExtremeSpeed
- Flare Blitz
- Morning Sun
- Thunder Fang

Infernape (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk/192 Spd/64 SpAtk
Naive nature (+Spd,-SpDef)
- Close Combat
- Overheat
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

Gyarados (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 156 HP/72 Atk/96 Def/184 Spd
- Dragon Dance
- Stone Edge
- Taunt
- Waterfall
Sorry, we only rate competitive teams here. Please check out the rules before you have another go.
15. As a site dedicated to competitive battling, we request that your team is as competitive as possible within its given metagame. In-game teams and gimmick teams will be closed. Battle Tower teams are permitted. "Theme Teams" are also OK as long as they demonstrate an understanding of the competitive metagame they are to be used in.

Thanks for the suggestions and advice mikel. Bu t I am fairly annoyed that my lack of pokemon knowledge is considered gimmicky when I'm on here basically asking for advice.

Since then I have ran this set and was not all that effective so I will go back to using Scizor as my lead. That way I can manipulate the 4x effectiveness of fire and switch in arcanine. I do like the idea of break bbreak over superpower. Futhermore since Jumpluff apparently makes this a gimmicky set.. I will replace him with my suicune.

Suicune@ leftovers
nature mild (not going back to change it)
252 spd ev 252 sp. Atk 6 hp
Surf
Shadow ball
Sub
Calm mind

I have prefered running with shadow ball lately but I may have to switch back to ice beam for the dragon types.

Memento isn't gimmicky in the battle tower, in facts it's a very legit strategy. Although your better off with something like Spiritomb or Uxie as they are almost impossible to OHKO and can use trick as well.

michael

m as in mancy
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I apologise if what I said made it sound like Memento is unviable. I just said that SubSeed Jumpluff would be more useful and suggested Encore over Memento.

Suicune would probably benefit from using Ice Beam over Shadow Ball for added coverage against Grass and Dragon types. If you do use Ice Beam, bulky Water types will shrug off most of the attacks of the Pokemon on your team.

I should probably have mentioned that I am doing this on soulsilver. So I do not currently have access to a spiritomb. But I think one of my friends may an uxie that he could loan me.

The bulky water types have in fact been a problem. Most notiably empoleon.. I sometimes stall him out long enough to stack calm minds in a sub.. But he has been a team killer for me. Scizor would definately hhelp but every time empoleon has entered the field my scizor has fainted already.

As for my memento I had been attempting..
Turn 1 I would almost always sleep powder then memento. Unless a pokemon may be faster than me than I would memento first turn. Then I would attempt to either stack calm minds or swords dance. Aftet.using this it would fail early on due to jumpluff either missing the sleep powder with the wide lens or my jumpluff would randomly get one shot on a critical hit which felt haxish. Then leaving in a 2 v 3 in a scenario which would ruin my memento strategy entirely.

Memento would appear to be more effective using two memento users than a sweeper. I guess ill have to catch some new pokemon or try the uxie if thats possible. I have never used uxie before amy suggested movesets?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)