Soaking Up The Sun(OU Sun Team)

Introduction

With the introduction of drought Ninetales, and the addition of some new Chlorophyl users, sun teams became way more viable. So I just had to make one. At first I wanted to do sort of a sun stall, but it just wasn't working...like at all. So I went on the offensive side and my luck turned around:) I wanted to focus on a fast pace team with a little bit of bulk and ways to take out major threats in OU like thundurus, garchomp, ferrothorn, etc. The team has a problem. It either wins fast, or it loses REALLY fast. So I like to get some help on here and see ya'll think. This is my first RMT on here, so without further ado, here we go!

Team building Process:​

What's a sun team without Ninetales? I mean really, if I have to explain this, you need help.​

I love Heatran. And with the sun out, he's a complete beast, and with the set I'm using, he's just epic.​

Needed a good chlorophyl mon with good sweeping capabilities. Venasaur was the obvious choice since it carries some bulk and resists the shit out of water.​

I wanted a resistence to fighting to help out Heatran since he's sort of the star of the team. Victini was my first choice and it's super deadly in the sun.​

Needed a gound ground/water resistence and with the use of Dragonite going up, I thought I'd give him a whirl. Works well with tales/tini/tran with their ice resistence.​

I Needed something to absorb special moves like abeast and set up SR, so blissey was my first choice.
I Haven't had HUGE success with Bliss sadly.

...The Team...

The Lead

Nintales @ Leftovers
Nature: Timid Ability: Drought
EVs: 200 HP / 56 Sp.Atk / 252 Spe
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roar
- Fire Blast
- Substitute

I went with a bulky set this time. I had been using the nasty plot set because it was unexpected, but I usually got fucked after 2 turns. Main goal is to try to burn-shuffle at the start.
I do 200 HP evs to add on a good amount of bulk and max spe is crucial to me since we are in a fast paced metagame. The last 56 EVs were dropped into Sp.Atk so he would be able to do something in the way of attacking, and with the sun out flamethrower gets a nice healthy 50% boost wich is always nice. Matching up against ferro it's normally a OHKO-2HKO, Virizion get the same if they don't CM.
I use sub incase they switch, that way I have a free turn to WoW, or roar depending on their switch.

Heatran @ Petaya Berry
Nature: Timid Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Sp.Atk / 252 Spe
- Earthpower
- Fire Blast
-Flame Charge
-Substitute

I absolutly freakin adore chargetran! Main idea, bring him in on ice/bug/dark/fire/poison(lol)/grass moves, and sub on the switch. From there I can get a free flame chagre off and with that I go to 417 spe, or I can get in a free FB/EP if it's something I know I can't take on. If I have the flame charge up I can continue to sub til I activate my petaya berry and get up to 585 Sp.Atk. That combined with STAB and sun makes for a mean FB.
I went with earthpower over D-pulse/HP ice because I didn't want to be completely walled by Tyranitar. Earthpower does a decent chunk without petaya boost, and after I get the boost, I'm just whoopin ass with him:D

Venusaur @ LEftovers
Nature: Mild Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 40 Atk / 252 Sp.Atk / 216 Spe
- Growth
- Solarbeam
- Hidden Power(Ice)
- Earthquake

Mixed Venusaur in the sun is my new favorite thing!
After one growth I become a sweeping power house, and can potentialy sweep whole teams.
EQ/SB/HP Ice makes fro good coverage. I can easily outspeed thundurus and OHKO with a growth boosted HP ice after rocks(also without)
Solaerbeam just wrecks shit so easily it's not funny. It can even OHKO 4 HP/0 Def / 0 Sp.Def Latios after growth aswell as HP ice.
EQ destroys fire, ground, steel(without ballon) and does moderate damage to Ferro. With Chlorophyll my spe goes to 498 making me faster than just about everything, minus deoxy-s form, and I'm easily OHKOing with SE moves or things that can't resist. He takes the water moves Heatran can't take and tran takes the ice moves saur can't take.

Victini @ Choice Band
Nature: Jolly Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
- V-Create
- Brick Break
- Fusion Bolt
- U-Turn

My 2nd favorite sweeper in the sun, and probably the best wallbreaker for a sun team. Banded STAB V-Create in the sun tears through everything. Fusion Bolt for those bulky waters who think they are all that, and zen headbutt for things like conkeldurr and such. I ran U-turn for scouting but it seems useless without scarf IMO.
I run jolly so I can have some speed for this fast paced OU metagame.
236 Def/Sp.def coupled with 342 HP gives him some nice bluk so it's easy to take those ice/fire moves going for saur. Brick break covers slower dark types and the CB just makes it all better.

I will post damage calcs for V-Create soon.

Dragonite @ Leftovers
Nature: Adamant Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
- Dragon Claw
- Earthwquake
- Roost
- Thunderwave

I love what dreamworld did for Dragonite! Multiscale is such a broken ability IMO.
Come in on a water/fire/ground/grass move and t-wave on the switch. From there I can roost until they get the para hax and then fuck them up with D-Claw or EQ.
I used to run Fire Punch to capatlize on the sun power and to take on ferro and others. But I found I kept getting completely walled by balloon tran, eventhough most carry D-pulse over HP ice these days. When played right this can mess with alot of teams.
Takes most of the nasty water moves torwards tales/tini/tran and gives good defense and even dish out offense.

Blissey @ Leftovers
Nature: Bold Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / Sp.Def
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Flamethrower
- Softboiled

The final member of the team...
Blissey was a last minute addition because I needed a special absorber and a SR set up She did both so I went with it.
I originaly went with T-wave, but changed to toxic because I already had D-nite paralyzing. Seismic toss is there to wear down special users who can do jack
while they suffer from toxic. I can come in on just about every special move and set up rocks safely and then softboiled all the damage.
Unfotunatly is losses out to a good portion of new physical sweepers.
She was a last minute addition and I've had a few problems wirth her.
When it comes to fixing up the team she would be the first to go.

Threat List
Coming soon​

Annnnnd that's the team. Thanks for all the fixes in advance.

i'm using a sun team now, and i used a ninetails with the eject button, mostly because of the item clause. i make my heatran carry the air balloon. i also use wish and protect on blissey. you may also want to consider using a spinner and a spiker. im not skilled myself, so sorry if this is bad advice.

I'd suggest shifting more EVs towards Attack on Venusaur and replacing Solarbeam with Power Whip (this is legal in DW with Chlorophyll) because it means you can crush Politoed and Tyranitar easily.

252 Spe is unnecessary on Ninetales, especially a burn-shuffling one - I recommend running 160 to reach 303 Speed, allowing you to revenge Excadrill, and dumping the rest into HP / SpA. You should also consider Fire Blast over Flamethrower, because Ninetales' SpA is mediocre even with the sun boost.

I would also recommend U-Turn over Zen Headbutt on Victini, which allows you to retain momentum while doing a decent chunk of a damage. You're not hitting anything harder with Zen Headbutt than V-create, especially in the sun, except for Keldeo, which gets killed by Fusion Bolt anyway.

I'll consider power whip. but if I'm running two physical attacks I'll go with a +atk nature insteand +special.

I really' dont like u-turn without scarf. He seems too slow to be scouting. But I'll give it a go because zen really isn't doing much.

My only worries are with the huge amounts of weather use in gen V the sun will probably be cancelled out, and I can't see a reliable way of getting it back up. Ninetales is too physically flimsy to risk coming back out, and you don't have a backup sunny day user. It might be something to consider, though only Venusaur appears to truly rely on the sun for usability.

Try running dragon tail on D-nite. Then try putting some special attacks on that blissey, otherwise you should be using chansey. Take off that toxic and seismic toss, and put on something like flamethrower, which would go well on this team.
Afterwards, try making heatran more defensive, like put a balloon on it and take off nitro charge. With D-nite parashuffling, you should be able to outpace everything afterwards.
Then take off that roar-WoW set on Ninetails. Its a fire type; they dont exactly get too many resistances, so even with all that bulk, it takes extraordinary effort to keep it alive and shuffling. Try running an offensive set. Maybe not Nasty Plot, but something else that would work, Like Sub Disable. Technically, Ninetales could run sub disable; maybe not like gengar can, but with it you could counter Polytoed and certain T-tar variants (aswell as all abomasnows, but you have flamethrower anyway.

So with my revisions, I recommend these sets:

Ninetales@Leftovers
Timid
200 hp, 56 spatk, 252 spe
-Substitute
-Disable
-Flamethrower
-Wilowisp/Energy ball

Heatran@Balloon
Timid
4hp, 252spatk, 252spe
-Fire blast
-Earth power
-Dragon Pulse
-Substitute

Blissey@leftovers
Bold
252hp, 252 def, 4spdef
-SR
-Softboil
-Icebeam/Shadowball
-Flamethrower/Focus Blast

Yeah I would put flamethrower on blissey over toxic or toss because blissey's special attack is the only real reason to be using it over evolite chansey. Flamethrower also hits ferrothorn/scizor coming in for extreme damage and can probably 1HKO with sun up.

I will deffinatly try disable(it raped me in a battle earlier) and flamethrower on bliss, but I'm gonna keep using flame charge tran because he's kinda the main star of the team.

Since you're running more Fire-type mons, Ninetales should be kept defensive. Let the other Fire mons do their job and focus Tales on switch 'n' survival. But the last thing you need is for it to be staying for long, since it's "get the Sun up and get out quickly". So, if you decide to keep the current set, run Overheat over Fire Blast. Stronger and more reliable.

Disable on it only works realistically against Sandstormers(more specifically T-Tar) in a weather war, because once Rain switches in, Politoed also won't be staying for long and Blissey will wall its attack anyway. Your team visibly has far more trouble switching into T-Tar, but I'm not sure it's enough of a reason to run Disable.

You also don't have any U-turners to bring weather back safely and/or keep offensive momentum so, please, consider that greatly. Scarf Darmanitan is a good choice. Personally, I use Genesect in my Sun team, but it's built much differently than yours.

On Heatran, Balloon and Dragon Pulse(over Subs), please.

Finally, Venusaur could use Lum Berry. The last thing you need is your sweeper paralyzed by some troll tank. SunSaur is meant to get in, set-up and sweep mercilessly. Leftovers won't do you any good if you do your job correctly. And since you don't have Heal Bell, someone should be able to soak up status.

Other than that, your team desperately needs a spinner. You run ScaleNite and a Fire-based team, I shouldn't need to say more. If you decide to invest in one, consider Donphan. Resists SRocks and tanks Sandstormers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)