Solid Sand Storm Team

So this is my first post on Smogon and my first RMT. I have made several teams and this is by far my best. Despite being the "best" team I've made, I'm sure there are plenty of flaws that I am blind to. So please, sit back, relax, and critique to your hearts content.

A Quick Look:

So my first thought in creating this team was what route would I take. So after much thought I decided upon a balanced sandstorm team. Which then led me to my next big choice. Who to use; Hippowdon or Tyranitar?

Hippowdon (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SpD
Nature: Impish
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off

...I chose Hippowdon. One reason I chose him was because he isn't used as much as his rival Sand Stream user Ttar, and I'm a fan of underdogs and black horses, he also has better physical bulk, which I felt would be more useful. Hippowdon is responsible for providing eternal Sandstorm and setting up Stealth Rock. Besides support he also serves as my check to many physical attackers, namely Excadrill and Gliscor.

After choosing a lead, I needed someone who could provide some offensive power to my team. But who? There are a plethora of pokemon who can effectively abuse Sandstorm and rip through opponents teams. But in my mind, one pokemon stood out among the rest...

Terrakion (-) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
EV's: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Nature: Jolly
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- X-Scissor

I can't lie, ever since I saw this guy in the 5th generation Pokedex on Serebii he became a Pokemon I just had to use. I mean, his Pokedex entry says he can break through castle walls, so its simple to think that he shouldn't have any issue ripping through enemy teams. His attack is phenomonal, and out of the 3 musketeers he is by far the most well rounded. Not to mention he gets a Special Defense boost while in the sand. He is my revenge killer and sweeper. Close Combat and Stone Edge do ridiculous amounts of damage. The last two moves are just kinda fillers, but they have their merrits in certain, albeit uncommon, situations.

Well having a blazing fast sweeper is always appreciated. Yet at times I found myself yearning for more power. Even at the cost of speed. But what pokemon could take the role of powerhouse who doesn't need speed to smash through enemies?

Scizor (F) @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP/252 Atk/8 Spd
Nature: Adamant
- Bug Bite
- Bullet Punch
- Pursuit
- Superpower

Ahhhh Scizor. There is so many things she can be tailored to do. But for me, I wanted her to be able to smash through enemies like they were wet toilet paper. The choice between Bug Bite and U-turn was difficult, but in the end, I felt the substansial difference in power was more than enough to justify using Bug Bite. She also serves as my Reuniclus counter, a Pokemon who would otherwise plague this team.

So now I had my Physically offensive core and a physical wall. But what about the special side of the spectrum? Who could possibly fill the gap between those worlds and complete my offensive core?

Heatran (F) @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
EV's: 4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spd
Nature: Modest
- Fire Blast
- HP Grass
- Earth Power
- Dark Pulse

Heatran, the fiery female on the team. She seemed to be an obvious choice for a special attacker on a sand storm team. Her Fire Blast incinerates anything that doesn't resist it. Earth Power is there for obvious reasons. Now the last to moves are where things get a little different. I found the HP Grass proved to be far more useful than HP Ice has been. But that leaves me totally walled by the Lati twins. But wait! My team already has Stealth Rock covered, so why double up on a move? Perfect, I'll put Dark Pulse on and smash the Lati twins for a surprise attack! I chose Modest nature for the power boost. Heatran has excellent synergy with with Scizor and helps to cover some of Hippowdon and Terrakion's weaknesses.

Now that I have a core, I felt I needed a surprise Pokemon. Someone who most teams aren't ready for. But they still needed to not be hindered by sand storm. But then a thought dawned upon: Why not have the pokemon not affected by ANY residual damage. With that two pokemon came to mind. Reuinclus and Sigilyph. Reuniclus was the Magic Gaurd Pokemon most ppl think of, and thus many teams have a counter prepared for it... But Sigilyph... now there is a rather uncommon sight...

Sigilyph (M) @ Flame Orb
Ability: Magic Gaurd
EV's: 252 HP/200 Def/56 Spd
Nature: Timid
- Roost
- Cosmic Power
- Stored Power
- Psycho Shift

... And that uncommon sight found a spot onto my team. Sigilyph serves as not only a surprise sweeper, but also a wall (esp to fighting types), and a status inflicter. Magic Gaurd ensures Sigilyph will only be hurt by attacks, and Cosmic Power ensures those attacks wont be doing much. And it isn't uncommon for my Sigilyph to nab 4+ Cosmic Powers in a game. Psycho shift crippled all enemy physical attacker (bar guts abusers), and Stored Power just makes for a riduclously powerful attack after 6 Cosmic Powers. And even if facing a Dark-type Pokemon, if Sigilyph has 6 CP and burns the opponent (not an uncommon scenerio), its easy to roost off the damage and watch as the burn slowly whittles away their HP.

And now, with 5 pokemon on my team, I took a step back. But what I saw didn't please me. I had 3 water weaknesses and no way to stop them. So right away the thought of a Storm Drain abuser came about. Now the two Storm Drain users were Cradily and Gastrodon. In the sand Cradily had superior bulk... but i gave me another nasty fighting weakness. So with that, I chose gastrodon as the Pokemon of the hour.

Gastrodon (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EV's: 252 HP/4 SpA/252 SpD
Nature: Calm
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Toxic
- Recover

And here the sea slug is now!! East Sea was the obvious choice because it just looks so much better. But enough about asthetics. Gastrodon serves as my special wall. Capable of taking even a choice specs Draco Meteor from a Latios. He also is my only water immunity on the team. Once he gets a SpA boost he hits for decent damage. And toxic is there to cripple any walls who switch in.

Though I have many weaknesses covered, some pokemon still stand out amongst those who cause me grief. They are as follows:
Excadrill, Conkledurr, Gliscor, Any Drizzle teams, Skarmory, Blissey, Support Mew, and Jellicent.

So there you have it. My 6 shining stars. I know this team has some major issues, and that's why I have come to you to help me. So please, rip it apart and put it back together if you must. But any help is good help in this case. So really, thanks to whoever is reading this and I look forward to hearing what you have to say.

Hi DEMo, nice team. However, I think I can help you make a few improvements.

First and foremost, is there a reason you aren't using Excadrill? It's one of the best pokemon in the game, and is one of the main reasons to use Sandstorm teams. He's standard, but his raw sweeping potential is really too good to resist. Scizor already serves you well as a revenge killer, so why not try him over Terrakion:

Excadrill@Air Balloon
Sand Rush
Jolly/Adamant Nature, 252Att/4SpD/252Spe
Earthquake
Swords Dance
Stone Edge
X-Scissor/Rapid Spin

Come in either on something you force out or a ground attack; you're immune thanks to Air Balloon. Then, Swords Dance up and sweep your opponent. The last moveslot is up to you; X-Scissor hits Lati@s and Bronzong harder than anything else, though Rapid Spin can be useful against stall should you find time to use it. Very little can stand up to Excadrill; Bronzong and Conkeldurr are basically it. With his freedom to change moves (in addition to more Speed and Power), he outclasses your Terrakion.

Many of your other problematic pokemon are deftly handled by Tyranitar; thanks to its mammoth Special defense stat, it can come in and change the weather against Rain Teams multiple times, and also can Pursuit trap Mew and Jellicent. Many Tyranitars carry Ice Beam to handle Gliscor as well. I know he's bog standard, but he is so for a reason, and shores up many problems on this team. Here's the standard set:

Tyranitar@Leftovers
Sassy Nature, 252HP, 180 SpA, 76 SpD
Stealth Rock
Fire Blast
Ice Beam
Crunch/Pursuit

Stealth Rocks are for hazards, obviously. Fire Blast destroys Scizor and Ferrothorn, both of whom otherwise cause you problems. Ice Beam nails Gliscor and Dragons. Crunch is the normal option in the last slot, but I slashed Pursuit since it can help against Mew and
Jellicent.

The last pokemon on your threatlist who isn't covered is Conkeldurr. Conk is one of the big reasons Gliscor is so common. You could give him a try. However, if you don't want yet another bog standard on your team, you could use a more unorthodox method; giving Siglyph Air Slash over Psycho Shift and changing the item to Leftovers. This lets him come in on a 4X resisted fighting move and threaten immediately without the need to set up. Be warned however that this really makes him a niche counter to Conk, and he will fare less well against other pokemon. If you really want to use an uncommon pokemon, Pain Split Spiritomb is one of the best Conkeldurr counters out there.

Heatran really wants a Timid nature so she can Speed tie with other Heatran.

On a more general note, just because you're using a Sandstorm team doesn't mean every member needs to be immune to Sandstorm; if you try to do that, it can leave your team very unbalanced. For example, Rotom-W is a common choice on teams like this; its ability to handle Rain teams makes up for the passive damage it takes from the weather. In fact, Rotom-W could potentially be used here if you can find room for it (perhaps test a Scarf variant over Scizor).

I hope that helped. Good luck.

I have to agree with Sly about adding Exadrill. It's basically what makes up Sandstorm teams bringing up to 550 Speed with an Adamant Nature with Sand Rush iirc. Anyways, on Scizor U-turn > Bug Bite for scouting. Timid over Modest on Heatran.

Excadrill@Air Balloon
Sand Rush
Jolly/Adamant Nature, 252Att/4SpD/252Spe
Earthquake
Swords Dance
Stone Edge
X-Scissor/Rapid Spin
Excadrill doesn't actually learn Stone Edge so you will have to use Rock Slide. Other than that I recommend Life Orb over Air Balloon as it is a revenge killer and will want extra power. On the last slot I think Frustration works over X-Scissor or Rapid Spin as it gives you a neutral hit on Gliscor and Rotom-W. I do agree it works better as a revenge killer than Terrakion since it is faster in the sand and can switch up its moves.

This team as a lot of problems with Excadrill and Conkeldurr and in fact Skamory. To solve this I suggest a Gliscor over your Sigilyph who can deal with all three. The new set would look like:

Gliscor (M) @ Toxic Orb Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 176 Def / 88 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Taunt
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang

Taunt deals with Skarmory and other Pokemon like Ferrothorn. Ice fang can hurt other Gliscor who decide to switch in and the extra speed investment out speeds most standard Gliscor. This set destroys Excadrill while taunt stops Conkeldurr from setting up while Swords Dance and Earthquake will finish it off.

Hope this helped and good luck!

New World Order

Licks Toads
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Even though Bug Bite is more powerful than U-Turn. The ability to hit the opposing switchin hard, then switching to a favorable matchup is much more valuable than the 30 extra power you get.

Running a Gliscor over Sigilyph would leave you with 4 water weaks!!!!!!!!

If you want to hit the Latii twins harder, why settle for Dark Pulse? Straight up use Dragon Pulse.

May I suggest using a Slowbro? It checks pretty much everything Sigilyph checks, plus Conkeldurr (with a neutral nature, it is still slower than min speed Conkeldurr) plus DD dragons, plus Gliscor, and to and extent Exadrill and rain teams. The extra water resist is always helpful since Hippo, Heatran, and Terrakion don't enjoy taking random surfs and waterfalls at all. Pick Fire Blast to hit Skarmory and steel switchins, Ice Beam to hit dragons (and Gliscor a little harder). Your choice.

Slowbro @ Leftovers
Regenerator
Bold
252 Hp/ 252 Def/ 4 SpD
Scald
Psychic
Fire Blast/ Ice Beam
Slack Off

EDIT:
FACEPALM I just realized what I did left you with no ground resistance besides your Balloon. I would consider a Choice Scarf Landorus over Terrakion. Brings pretty much the same to the table (besides CC and EQ), but means your opponent can't just spam EQs once Hippowdon goes down. You can do a double U-Turn spam combo between Landorus and Scizor. This also means Slowbro is free to run Fire Blast since this guy already deals with DD Dragons and Gliscor for you.

Landorus @ Choice Scarf
Sand Force
Naive
252 Atk/ 252 Spe/ 4 SpA
Earthquake
Stone Edge
U-Turn
Hidden Power Ice

"Exacdrill doesn't actually learn Stone Edge so you will have to use Rock Slide."

Yeah, don't know why I put SE. Thanks for the correction.

Thanks for all the help guys. I sure do appreciate it. So, based off all the critiques this is my idea for the upgraded version of the team. This is going to be short and sweet, but if there are any more problems please don't hold back.

Tyranitar (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
Nature: Sassy
EV's: 252 HP/180 SpA/76 SpD
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Beam
- Fire Blast
- Crunch

Slowbro (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
Nature: Bold (Or should I do Relaxed? Also, Should it have 0 Spe IVs?)
EV's: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SpA
- Scald
- Psychic
- Fire Blast
- Slack Off

Landlorous (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Force
Nature: Hasty (I feel most attacks will be hitting him from the special side)
EV's: 252 Atk/4 SpA/252 Spd
- Earth Quake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- HP Ice

Scizor (F) @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
Nature: Adamant
EV's: 248 HP/252 Atk/8 Spd
- U-Turn (Does this still OHKO Reuniclus?)
- Bullet Punch
- Pursuit
- Superpower

Heatran (F) @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
Nature: Modest? (Besides opposing Heatran, does Timid outspeed anything significant?)
EV's: 4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spd
- Fire Blast
- HP Grass
- Earth Power
- Dragon Pulse

Gastrodon (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
Nature: Calm
EV's: 252 HP/4 SpA/252 SpD
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Toxic
- Recover
This final slot seems like a weak link to me. That may just be me, but any comments on it would be greatly appreciated.

And as a side note, I dont want to use Excadrill because it's just SOOO broken, and it gives me a third fighting weakness/priority weakness. Oh, and I just remember another threat. Volcarona has causes me several issues in the past.

Volcarona shouldn't be giving you that much troubles. It takes 50% damage from Stealth Rock and Heatran should be taking care it of.

Possibly change Slowbro to Tentacruel.

Tentarcruel @ Leftovers -- Liquid Ooze
252 HP / 120 Defense / 136 Special Defense
- Rapid Spin
- Surf
- Sludge Bomb
- Toxic Spikes / Hidden Power [Electric]

Tentacruel can take all of his Volcarona's hits pretty easily while giving you a Spinner and Toxic Spiker at the same time. Surf for STAB, Sludge Bomb for STAB as well. Toxic Spikes if you want more entry hazards, if not, HP Electric is the way to go. Tentacruel is wicked bulky too so he should fit in well with your team. Hope I helped and good luck!

New World Order

Licks Toads
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Slowbro should just stick to the Bold 31 Speed IVs. A Brave 0 Speed IV Conkeldurr hits 87 Speed. A Bold 31 Speed IV 0 Speed EV Slowbro hits 86 Speed. Its almost as if GF gave Conkeldurr that speed for it to be countered by Slowbro.

Volcorona should be no problem for you. Heatran walls any non HP Ground version, and Landorus outspeeds +1 max speed and OHKOs Volcorona like twice with Stone Edge.

If you feel Gastrodon is the weak link of your team, lets see its main assignments: water resist, Thundurus, Rotom-W, Heatran, Starmie. Starmie can generally be taken out by Ttar, so you need something to take Thundurus, Rotom-W and resist water. Something you can try out is Lanturn. Similar roles, but I guess you can test both to and test their effectivness.

Lanturn @ Leftovers
Volt Absorb this is critical for checking Thundurus
Calm
252 Hp/ 252 SpD/ 4 Def (have some1 edit the EVs to fit the OU metagame)
Scald
Ice Beam
Discharge
Heal Bell (you don't really need T-Wave support since all your pokes bar Heatran are either slow as fuck or blistering fast)

@ Shining Latios: I've tested my team above, and I'm hesitant to take Slowbro off cause he is really the only way to take on Conkledurr, Plus he handles Gliscors pretty well as well. Though I could swap Gastrodon for Tentacruel and see how that goes.

@ New World Order: I'll give Lanturn a try as well, though most often Thundrus hasnt given me trouble since Gastrodon can either Toxic it while surviving a hit or use Ice Beam, and then Scizor can finish it off. But The Rotom-W counter could be extremely helpful.

And I just wanted to say thanks again, all these critiques have really helped improve this team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)