Some Like it Hot... - OU RMT

Meet my newest primary team, and one that I consider simply fun to use. While its members for the most part are standard, the sets they’re running certainly aren’t! I’m rather centered around Heatran coming out a causing upright mayhem, but it isn’t necessary. It covers most all threats decently, besides 3 crits in a row, of course, which I found out the hard way… I’m using this team as the Steel typed gym leader for another couple forums. I didn’t mean for it to have three Steel types when I made it – it just happened. Then the Gym system began, so I threw in my hat with this team, and am in the process of narrowing down all the applicants to 8 with a “super tournament”. I figured I might as well post this team up for fun and see what kind of comments it gets, having had a couple other RMT’s that fell through the cracks completely. Overall, I have fun with this team, which is something that not many people get to say because they use ugly, boring, standard sets and Pokémon on their teams. Enjoy the team, all!

The Glance:
|
|
|
|
|

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Into the Fiery Depths:

MetaKnight (Metagross) @ Lum Berry

Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 236 HP/228 Atk/20 Def/24 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Iron Head/Stealth Rock
- Explosion
- Bullet Punch
---
Meet the Anti-Lead Metagross that’s in the works in Smogon. The EV’s allow it to survive Jolly Lead Mamoswine’s Earthquake and Ice Shard, and a boatload of other attack that the lead metagame faces, like Azelf’s Fire Blast, Aerodactyl’s Earthquakes, and one of Empoleon’s Hydro Pumps. This set invests a good few EV’s more than others in Speed, simply to edge above that fought over number of 178 Speed. I outspeed standard Metagross and Empoleon leads and kill them off with Earthquakes, which will 2HKO both. Iron Head gets the same kills in the lead spot that Meteor Mash would, without the stupid side effects of Meteor Miss. While this does detract from Metagross’ possible power later in the game, I usually would just use it as a nuke anyway, exploding on threats like Gyarados, Vaporeon, or freakin’ Suicune. Lum Berry is used to let me kill off sleep leads like Roserade, Smeargle, and the rare Scarf Breloom with an Iron Head/EQ followed by BP.

My lead has a Shedinja weakness…

Synergy wise, I use this Metagross so I start off the game with a simple 5-6 advantage, perhaps having the opponent not set up their Rocks/hazards in cases like Azelf, Aerodactyl, and the sleepers, and have the possibility of killing something later with a powerful Explosion. I also use it as a Fire lure in some cases for Heatran. It all depends on the situation at hand.
~~~
Strategy vs Top 10 leads (March 2010):
Azelf: Iron Head and Bullet Punch to kill it off. I survive any Fire Blast funny business, so it’s down. Its turn of Taunt is useless as well.

Swampert: Two routes here. Either just explode on the mudfish, or switch to Rotom-C to mess with their head. You’ll see…

Metagross: Earthquake twice. I outspeed standards, and people also trying to outspeed the standard ones by a point.

Aerodactyl: Iron Head and Bullet Punch. They usually Taunt first turn, so that means they wasted their lead to no avail. I love headgames

Jirachi: Little trickster. Literally. I Earthquake the little pixie for a 2HKO. Usually they decide to Trick a Scarf onto me, or switch out. If they Trick, I have a fast Exploder for later in the game. >=)

Infernape: Get the heck outta dodge, since this is the one lead I can’t mess with without dying myself. I go to Latias, Gyarados, or Rotom-C.

Roserade: Take the Sleep Powder, cure it like a boss with Lum Berry, EQ, then BP into oblivion.

Tyranitar: Iron head this sucker till it cries. I can take what it throws at me and live to tell about it – its EQ does 45.6% - 53.9% to Metagross.

Ninjask: As “common” as it is… I haven’t seen one, but if I did, I’d Bullet Punch and try to kill it quick. Perhaps predict a Baton Pass and Explode on/attack the incomer as well, if needed.

Gliscor: Boom. Or switch. Much like Swampert.
~~~
I usually go with the full Anti Lead set that’s in development. To make some people happy, however, I sometimes run Stealth Rock over Iron Head, because otherwise I’m without entry hazards. While I know deep in my head I’m probably wrong, I think personally that entry hazards and freaking Rocks are overrated, and nothing you say will convince me otherwise. I win often without the silly things, so it proves they’re not necessary. Call me a n00b; I don’t care. I’ve been doing this for years. Ha.

I originally had this spot taken up by a standard Lead Empoleon. The problem I found with that, though, was that after I killed off the original lead, the opponent would switch in a Bulky Water like freakin’ CroCune, and start setting up. I couldn’t keep momentum very well. This seems to have partially solved that problem. Also, Empoleon isn’t something I can use to attract fire moves. Without Stealth Rock, I usually need for Heatran to get a Flash Fire boost to kill off threats that Stealth Rock would have helped with.
This nickname is easy to figure out… It’s the best I could come up with.

Type Synergy
Ground: Latias, Gyarados, Rotom
Fire: Heatran, Latias, Gyarados
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Zephyr (Latias) (F) @ Life Orb

Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Recover
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Thunderbolt
---
A team of 3 Steel types has got to have its Dragon, and this is one of the coolest things I’ve used. It is an awesome attacker that’s usually forgone for something like a Scarf or CM set, but this Latias has proven to be a great addition to this team that can hit a bunch of threats hard (I’m looking at you Zapdos and Swampert! And Bulky Waters as well!). The nearly-perfect coverage of Dragon and Water is a threat by itself. Thunderbolt completes this coverage by hitting Empoleon, and frying Gyarados. I still can’t hit Shedinja, though. Pity…

Despite being a Latias, she can with great risk keep Scizor and Tyranitar at bay (barring ScarfTar). Most people have some Choice item on Latias, and Draco Meteor something right off the bat. I instead Surf on the first turn it’s out unless something dire is happening so I can hit the inevitable Scizor/Tyranitar hard, almost 2HKOing both (vs Scizor: 42% - 49.6%; vs ScarfTar: 69.6% - 82.5%).

This spot used to be taken up by a Defensive Calm Mind Latias. All the teams I make tend to have a huge CroCune weakness, so I added that Latias to keep the dog at bay. It worked like a charm! That is, if the opponent had a CroCune. I found that often, Latias was neglected during the battle and never got to set up its Calm Minds before Scizor, Tyranitar and friends cam in to ruin Latias’ day. It didn’t help that I carried Refresh over Reflect, either. Before I tried Reflect, I went with this set to give myself a bit of extra kick, and it worked better.
Latias and the name “Zephyr” just seem to fit together. If I get a pet bird, that’s what I’m naming it! Also, three of these Pokemon pictures have white backgrounds. Deal with it. They looked the coolest. =3

Type Synergy:
Dragon: Scizor, Metagross, Heatran
Ice: Scizor, Metagross, Heatran
Dark: Scizor, Metagross, Heatran, Gyarados (Intimidate and such, not a resistance)
Ghost: Scizor, Heatran
Bug: Scizor, Heatran, Gyarados, Rotom-C

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lightning (Scizor) (M) @ Life Orb

Ability: Technician
EVs: 232 HP/96 Atk/20 Spd/160 SDef
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Brick Break
---
Choice Band Scizor is so boring… I wanted something different to use that would strike fear into the hearts of opposing teams. This Swords Dance Scizor set does the trick, letting me kill off opponent’s teams lategame with super Bullet Punches, God’s gift to the mantis. There are many games where after one setup turn, I’ve picked off the last 3 members of a weakened team. The EV’s are interesting, but extremely effective. 232 HP is a good number for Life Orb on this sucker, and allows for huge bulk. 96 Attack hits a bonus point for a total of 352 Attack. 20 Speed puts me well ahead of other boring Banded Scizor’s so I can smack them with Brick Break before they Superpower me. 160 Special Defense allows me to set up on a bunch of weaker special attackers, such as Rapid Spin Starmie, Standard Vaporeons, and Latias sets. I usually end up with 2 Swords Dances, and begin unleashing my Bullet Punch fury. Brick Break is for covering anything that takes Bullet Punch. Do I see a Magnezone coming in after I Swords Dance on a MusticGar? Brick Break it to the face (faces?) for a OHKO. It also nails Waters and Steel/Psychics for neutral damage. Roost is for healing off damage from entry hazards and weaker attacks while I set up a fabulous Dance or three.

Oh. This Scizor can’t even touch Shedinja.

On a side note, Scizor’s Defense IV is only 30 instead of 31, making his Defense stat 235, while his Special Defense is 236. This is to ensure that if I was to somehow come across a rare Download Porygon-Z, it would get an Attack boost instead of a dangerous Special Attack boost. While this threat is extremely rare, I might as well be prepared. In fact, the only thing that a Download Porygon-Z would nab a Special Attack boost from is Metagross, which won’t be around for too long anyway in most cases.

While a huge threat, I use this Scizor as a superb lure for Fire attacks as well. After something faints to some odd Fire move (it’s been Flare Blitz from Scarf Blaziken, Overheats from Scarf Rotom-H, Will-O-Wisps from Ghosts… whatever works), I’ve blatantly switched in Scizor and made it seem like an accident. They shoot out another Fire move, only to have it eaten by Heatran. Then they’re in trouble…
In the anime, which I don’t watch, a girl had a Scizor that terrorized a town. Its name was Red Lightning. That whole name doesn’t fit the 10 character in-game nickname limit, but simply “Lightning” does.

Type Synergy:
Fire: HEATRAN, Gyarados, Latias
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Gaston (Gyarados) (M) @ Choice Band

Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 72 HP/252 Atk/184 Spd
- Stone Edge
- Payback
- Earthquake
- Aqua Tail
---
I fell in love with Gyarados a long time ago. This set has magnified that love for the Atrocious sea serpent. Tell me rhetorically – what are the most common switch-ins to Gyarados? As Gyarados does the Dance of Dragons, in comes Latias, Rotom-A, Gengar, Starmie, or Celebi to either fry it with an Electric move, or just be a jerk and ruin its sweep. I was getting tired of my custom Bulky Gyarados having its sweeps ruined before they even started. What do all those threats listed have in common? A Dark-type weakness. Enter Payback and the power of Choice Band, which one or two-hit KO’s all of those listed threats. Choice Banded Aqua Tail has frightful power, sometimes even when resisted! Just to show, it does 42.2% - 49.7% to the standard Spiker Skarmory, which, while not a 2HKO since I’m without Stealth Rock, still hurts the steel buzzard. Earthquake and Stone Edge give the great Rock/Ground coverage only resisted by Levitate Bronzong, Claydol, Torterra, Flygon, and Breloom (who resists this whole set…). Of those, only Breloom is “common,” and even it much watch out; the Spore Puncher set on the analysis takes 51.6% - 61.2% from Aqua Tail (mind you, the popular SubSeed takes only 30.6% - 36.3%...). This Gyarados’s ability to take out Rotom-A and Latias help Scizor and Heatran greatly, respectively.
In Disney’s Beauty and the Beast, there is a line that Gaston sings that says, “As a specimen, yes, I’m Intimidating!”. Hence the name.

Type Synergy:
Electric: Latias, Rotom-C
Rock: Metagross
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sprout (Rotom-c) @ Leftovers

Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP/188 Spd/64 SAtk/4 SDef
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Will-o-wisp
---
Another cool set, and, in my opinion, the coolest looking of the Rotom possessed appliances. I picked Rotom-C over the others for one reason – to scare the bejesus out of Swampert, who I have a bit of trouble with otherwise. The nickname also helps that fear for the Swampert-user. I’m sneaky. As Swampert flees for its life, I set up a Substitute, and wreak havoc with offensive moves or Will-O-Wisp. No longer is that Tyranitar or Scizor as big a threat, cause they’re nursing their burns instead. You thought BoltBeam was good? Thunderbolt and Shadow Ball provide two great STAB moves with great side effects, and coverage only resisted by Magnezone in OU (where no one has the guts to use Cacturne, Shiftry, or Steelix, and Dialga is banned). Rotom-C is immune to two of the types that my beloved Heatran is weak to, and has the STAB moves and power to scare off those using Water moves. I kill what I can, protected by a Substitute, and burn what I can’t reasonably damage. Rotom-C has another point in Special Defense to make it Download Porygon-Z proof.
It’s Rotom-C the lawnmower, associated with Grass. It’s also to add more fear to Swampert I switch in to, making them really think I have Leaf Storm.

Type Synergy:
Ghost: Scizor, Heatran
Dark: Scizor, Heatran, Gyarados (see Latias)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Flare (Heatran) (F) @ Choice Specs

Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 32 HP/220 Spd/252 SAtk/4 SDef
Modest nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Earth Power
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Dragon Pulse
---
The star of the show, and my current favorite set, is the wicked power that is SpecsTran. This monster’s Fire Blasts hit like a nuclear bomb. Just to demonstrate its power, here are some calculations. Some will have a Flash Fire boost (shown as FF’d) alongside regular calculations:

Vs. Suicune: 35.4% - 41.6%
FF’d vs Suicune: 52.7% - 62.4%
Vs. Vaporeon: 36.2% - 42.7%
FF’d vs Vapoeron: 54.3% - 64%
Vs. Bulky Gyarados: 43.5% - 51.4%
FF’d vs. Bulky Gyarados: 65.4% - 77%
Vs. Salamence: 65.3% - 77%
FF’d vs Salamence: 97.9% - 115.1%
Vs. Scarf Latias: 42.7% - 50.3%
FF’d vs. Scarf Latias: 63.6% - 75.2%
Vs. Swampert: 43.6% - 51.2%
FF’d vs. Swampert: 65.1% - 76.7%

That’s power. If I’m Fired up, I can always 2HKO Vaporeon, Suicune, and Swampert, since Surf does 64% - 76.1% or 54.4% - 64% from them, respectively, and a Swampert switched in is easily outpaced. Earth Power is so I can nail incoming Heatran, or just have an accurate move for grounded threats later on in the game. Hidden Power Grass hits Water types that like to come in on Heatran (hi Swampert!), especially if I’m lacking a Flash Fire boost, which usually only happens once or twice per game, since people learn from their mistakes. Dragon Pulse gives me the perfect coverage given by Fire, Dragon, and Ground, and gives me another move to hit oncoming Latias and Kingdra with, doing 85.4% - 100.7% to Latias, and always killing the common Kingdra switch-in. This team, in a way, revolves around Heatran causing fireworks for the opponent, but can function if Heatran somehow faints. The EV’s are slightly different than standard for 2 reasons. I ran one more point in Speed to outpace other SpecsTran should I meet one, and put one more point into Special Defense for the rare case I meet a Download Porygon-Z, as said before.
I think the name here is rather obvious

Type Synergy:
Water: Latias, Gyarados
Ground: Gyarados, Latias, Rotom
Fighting: Rotom-C, Latias, Gyarados

Overall points:
-One Stealth Rock Weakness
-NO Stealth Rock/Entry Hazard user
-No Toxic Spike vulnerability (Outside of Gravity, then it’s 3)
-No “Status Absorber”
-2 Choice users, none with Trick
-2 Life Orbs, violating Item Clause (if playing under that, I’ll just switch one.)
-1 Ghost to absorb Explosions
-2 Fire weak/Fire bait

Obvious Threats (may update later with others):
-Suicune: I have a fear of this thing in general. With Latias and Rotom-C’s Thunderbolts, I may have it handled. I also have HP Grass on Heatran, and the sheer power of Fire Blast to 2HKO if it has no Clam Minds. CB Gyarados does a good bit of damage with Earthquakes for a chance to 3HKO. Then there’s always my ticking time bomb that is Metagross, if it’s still alive. For once, I kind of have it covered.

Again, hope you like it, if you read it all the way through! Please don't give me too much business on not being on the Stealth Rock bandwagon, though. I don't want that to be the only thing I get comments on.

Haha, how fitting that I make the first comment on this team...
(For everyone else viewing this, I am the host for one of these gym leader tornaments on another site)

Anyway, thi seems like a very well-thought out team. A while ago, I used the anti-lead Metagross also, with a spread of 252 Atk, 228 HP, and 28 Spe, with occa berry, adamant nature, and knowing iron head, bullet punch, earthquake, and explosion. I agree, this Metagross can usually beat a lot of leads. It is also expendible, since it doesn't set up anything.
I can see Scarf-tar causing some problems, but they can easily be dealt with via Scizor and possibly Gyarados. Other than that, this team looks fairly solid.

I am looking forward to battling you.

Now that you have a fair advantage of knowing me inside and out. Lol! I'm looking forward to our battle as well, fellow Steel user. Should be interesting...

ScarfTar does pose issues for me on occasions, as well as scaring me a bit early on in a game. Depending on the move it locked itself into, though, I can send in the right counter/check to it. If it makes one wrong move, it's toast, be that from Heatran's Earth Power/Hidden Power, Scizor in general, or Gyarados' Aqua Tail/Earthquake. If I predict right, I can also burn the sucker with Rotom-C, and maim it badly with Latias' Surf, potentially sacrificing her to revenge with Scizor or something. Whatever works...

Here is my one and only bump.... Hopefully something happens. Lol!

EDIT:
Another hard-worked RMT slips through the cracks... I love my life/luck...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)