Sons of Suns.

(20:30:08) *** Your rank in Standard OU is 113/21007 [1320 points / 904 battles]!

Heatran (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Magma Storm
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Earth Power

So Dugtrio just became too damn obvious and it was getting hard to trap TTar, who I struggle more with than Politoed thanks to kingdra. Hence the strange Heatran set, but trust me, it works! (On specially defensive sets only, but chocie sets get worn down easily anyway.) The plan is to Magma Storm while they SR, WoW while they crunch and then Earth Power till they die. Magma Storm prevents them from switching and Earth Power can 3HKO so TTar is usually almost dead or is dead. Works a charm. HP Ice was chosen becuase of stupid MS DDnite, seeing as how Heatran is usually a good counter :|.

Lilligant (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Growth
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Rock]
- Sleep Powder

So a water resist really comes in useful in this current metagame, so I intrroduced Lilligant. He also abuses Chlorophyll, which is sweet. I went with giga drain/HP rock WITH sleep powder, because here grass and rock gets fantastic coverage and if there is something I struggle against I can just sleep powder it. Giga Drain for healing and countering Life Orb. HP Rock really helps against my massive MS DDNite weakness :X. I chose Growth > QD because I want that immediate power on Lilligant, considering how fragile she is.

Kingdra (M) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Swift Swim
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Surf
- Hydro Pump
- Dragon Pulse
- Draco Meteor

There's no doubt that this team does have it's problems with Rain. So decided to add SPecsDra. I went with specs instead of DD becuase I already have too many Pokemon setting up (volc and lilligant). Standard set, two STABs one strong one stronger. When rain teams see kingdra they tend to be more preservative with Politoed, not offering me free rain. It gives me a chance to better play my strategy, so I'm cool with it. Timid because I've noticed a lot of other Kingdra's wondering around now a days and really helps when there isn't rain up, so he isn't all together useless.

Hitmontop (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Rest
- Foresight
- Rapid Spin
- Close Combat

Hitmontop has one job and that is to stay around as long as possible to ensure there are no rocks or hazards up. He really serves no other purpose. Hitmontop was chosen because of Foresight, having the ability to overcome Jellicent, a common spin blocker nowadays. Rapid SPin is self explanitory. Close Combat is Hitmontops only attack to prevent him being Taunt bait. Rest raps it up giving him the role of status absorber.

Volcarona (M) @ Lum Berry
Trait: Flame Body
- Quiver Dance
- Morning Sun
- Flamethrower
- Bug Buzz

Works best late game. Quiver Dance on Scald from the likes of Vappy, Gastrodon etc. in the sun. Not only can't he get burnt, he also takes it like a champ thanks to the sun. Morning Sun really helps him get those QD easily. Flamethrower and Bug Buzz are STAB. Flamethrower > Fiery Dance because I prefer the power than the boost, especially because this guy is jst so easy to set up with.

Ninetales (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Drought
EVs: 216 SAtk / 76 SDef / 216 Spd
- Protect
- Will-O-Wisp
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Sun bringer. Really just giving tales the best chance he has ou in the big world. Protect offers a way to scout Pokemon. WoW helps against physical attackers and TTar, Pursuit won't do as much. Fire Blast to do some major damage and HP Ground solely for Heatran, who would otherwise wall this set. Specially defensive means he can take a few hits, but it really does wear him out.

Heatran (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Magma Storm
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Earth Power

Hitmontop (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
- Rest
- Foresight
- Rapid Spin
- Close Combat

Kingdra (M) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Swift Swim
- Surf
- Hydro Pump
- Dragon Pulse
- Draco Meteor

Lilligant (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Chlorophyll
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Growth
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Rock]
- Sleep Powder

Ninetales (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Drought
EVs: 216 SAtk / 76 SDef / 216 Spd
- Protect
- Will-O-Wisp
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Volcarona (M) @ Lum Berry
Trait: Flame Body
- Quiver Dance
- Morning Sun
- Flamethrower
- Bug Buzz

I think Growth Venusaur could be great on this team, preferrably over Shedinja. It counters Water types (which is sweet for a Sun team), revenge kills stuff and also sweeps.

I agree with blue star.
Charizard with Sun Power is also a good choise over Shedinjia or Volcarona: with Fire Blast or Heat stamp can threaten many pkmns and a powerful solarbeam in the sun can hit water types.
one side note: what's that glitch on PO???

this is a really good team, congrats on using dugtrio, i ain't seem him in a while
i don't really know what to suggest other than not using shedninja, with all the sand teams running around these days it can be taken down so easily.

Jirachee

phoenix reborn
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Hey there,

I think that your team would really appreciate Scizor. It's an awesome partner for Volcarona : slow U-Turns ensure you can get in without getting hit, which is very useful for a Pokémon that is x4 weak to Stealth Rock, even if you have a spinner. Even if they share a same counter, Heatran, Scizor can lure it in and pummel it with a powerful Superpower, opening a sweep for your Volcarona. Even if Shedinja can take Latios' Draco Meteor, spinning is not always possible, and you could end up losing something important when Latios uses Draco Meteor, which is far from an ideal situation. Scizor can take those Draco Meteor and dispatch Latios with the appropriate attack, either Bullet Punch, U-Turn or Pursuit. Your team is also extremely dependent on Hitmontop's Rapid Spin, so a misplay can cost you the match. Scizor isn't weak to Stealth Rock, which can be cool considering all those weaknesses you have. Furthermore, Scizor is able to revenge kill Terrakion, another pokemon your team will struggle with. Overall, I think Scizor would be a great addition to your team instead of Shedinja. Here's the set you should use :

Scizor @ Choice Band
Adamant
Technician
EVs : 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
-Bullet Punch
-Pursuit
-U-Turn
-Superpower

Basic Choice Band set, always great. This is the dude you want, SD Scizor can't do what I stated before (Well it DOES check Latios).

Good luck

Blue_Star is right, your team struggles to get through bulky Waters, and Drizzle spam is going to murk you because you have zero Water resists. The combination of SR user + Ghost or Ttar + bulky Water is going to murk you completely because it shuts down Shedinja, which is your only immunity to so many different types. Venusaur is good option over Shedinja as mentioned, but you might also want to consider Sawsbuck. You have no Ground resists which is also crazy considering Earthquake is the best attack in the game, so something that won't get raped by some weak EQ like Gliscor's would be useful.

Still three Fires is kinda crazy. Air Balloon is a good option on Ninetales because of your crazy Ground weakness. Even though it can be broken, you're so weak to Ground that it's a much better choice over Leftovers.

Your team lacks SR so I'd go with Stealth Rock / Substitute / Reversal / Earthquake on Dugtrio à la Focus Sash. This lets you beat Blissey with Substitute, but also get two Earthquakes off on Politoed and of course smack around Tyranitar.

Shoutouts to FolgorioTehKickass, Bluewind, Snype and ENZ0.

BTzz

spams overhand rights
is a Contributor Alumnus
Hey, cool sun team you have here. First off, I agree with Jirachi's suggestion of Scizor>Shedenja. I'd also like to recommend using Mixed Shiftry over Dugtrio. You say Dugtrio is for taking out opposing weather inducers, with Shiftry you now a powerful sun sweeper that can out-speed and OHKO most variants of weather inducers. Shiftry also bennifits from the sun, where as Dugtrio will end up a dead weight half you games. Shiftry also deals with Volcarona's common checks, mainly Heatran and bulky waters.

I also recommend using Sunny Day over Rest on Hitmontop. Since Hitmontop can switch into Tyranitar so freely, you'll be taking a lot of pressure off Ninetales (who won't have to switch into Tar to get sun up). You don't need Heat Rock since weather changes a lot, besides 5 turns is plenty.

Personally, I think 3 Fire-types is pretty overkill (especially 3 Rock weak ones) so I recommend using Scarf Landorus over Victini. Landorus gives you a very useful ground immunity as well as an answer to Heatran, Thundurus and opposing Volcarona.

Shiftry @ Life Orb
Trait: Chlororphyll
EVs: 44 Atk / 252 SAtk / 212 Spe
Lonely nature (+Atk, -Def)
- Low Kick
- Leaf Storm
- HP Ice/Fire
- Sucker Punch

Landorus @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Sand Force
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Naive nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- HP Ice/Fire
- U-Turn

gl! And congrats on the peak!

Thanks for all the replies guys.

Growth Venusaur has been tried before, but I found that it lacked the bulk to take repeated EQ. I have tried a NP Celebi and that worked pretty well. I will certainly try Scizor, because that sounds like a nice idea, as does SUnny Day on Hitmontop. Sawsbuck is a really cool suggestion, and can really pressure all the other weather starters. Mixed Shiftry sounds alright, but over Dugtrio I am not certain. Scarf Landorus will be tried for sure. Also really cool Dugtrio set :D.

made some pretty big ass changes! Please rate!

Just to let you know I am considering Lilligant over Venusaur to cover up my massive Ground weakness. Let me know what you think!

Hey there.

First off, change your Heatran's EV spread to 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Speed with a Modest Nature[/b]. Your Heatran seems like more of a sweeper than a wall as it is, so this EV Spread allows you to maximize it's offensive prowess. This Heatran can also decimate Jellicent, making it and it's spinblocking less of a worry for your team. Also, an interesting change would be to replace Will-O-Wisp with Solarbeam. Solarbeam would let you destroy bulky waters such as Gastrodon that try to switch-in (Magma Storm can be used on the switch in order to stop Scarf Politoed from coming in and killing Heatran while it's stuck on Solar Beam). Also, run Life Orb over Leftovers. With Rapid Spin support, Heatran won't go down too quickly, and Life Orb lets it hit much harder. One major improvement is that it can get a guaranteed 2HKO on Blissey with Magma Storm and Stealth Rock Support (assuming you hit both Magma Storms). Heatran can still easily beat non-Earthquake versions of Venusaur and Volcarona, so the loss in bulk isn't a huge problem.

Since Heatran can destroy Jellicent; who is a common switch-in, Hitmontop isn't as useful for Foresight. Seeing as you have no entry hazards, replace Hitmontop with a Donphan.

Rapid Spin Donphan
Donphan (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
- Stealth Rock
- Roar
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake

Stealth Rock support will be a major benefit to your team, and you don't have to give up Rapid Spin to use it either. Roar stops pokemon like Gyarados from using you as setup fodder, and can be very helpful in tandem with Sturdy.

Overall, nice team :] Hope I helped, and good luck!

San_Pellegrino

the eternal dreamer
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Hi,

The biggest problem I see with your team is a weakness to opposing sun teams, especially those with Dugtrio. Once Dugtrio traps Heatran and removes it from play, nothing is stopping variants of Volcarona with HP Rock from sweeping your team straight out. Tyranitar is much less of an issue because you have a great pivot in Hitmontop to force weather changers out and keep your own momentum up. In addition, as TMO mentioned above, Stealth Rocks is necessary on your team to prevent Multiscale from going up and crippling Gyarados / Salamence's health 25% per switch in. A more defensive moveset on Heatran will really help you out with this. With Stealth Rock | Roar | Toxic | Lava Plume, Tyranitar is still crippled with burn. An EV spread of 252 HP / 248 SpDef / 8 Spe will suffice. However, this change will lower your offensive coverage, which I think is outweighed by the importance of Heatran as a defensive presence on your team.

Rotom-w, Gyarados, Terrakion and stall based Rain teams can also be a big problem for your team, since they hit you hard with STAB water attacks and in Terrakion's case, can slowly weaken your Hitmontop until it goes into KO range. Something like Jellicent can actually help a lot here, who can prevent spinning by things like Excadrill and Donphan, while threatening them back. It is also a great water resist with its ability Water Absorb. With a Bold nature, EVs of 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe and a moveset of Scald | Energy Ball | Taunt | Recover, it should be able to cover most threats, including Gastrodon, who can actually be a very serious threat to your team, walling everything bar Lilligant. This would preferrable go over Kingdra, since the two pokemon fill similar roles.

As a last note, you can consider using Sunny Day on Ninetails over HP Ground or Protect, as a quick momentum gainer in matches. It is extremely helpful, and with SR up, it can quickly take a toll on your opponent's late game plans. Good luck!

hey! I battled you! (and swept with trio >_>) - anyway

I seriously suggest swapping Liligant out for Venusaur - Venusaur is much better than Liligant in every way, and can use almost the exact same stuff (it can't use Giga drain though >_>) - I dunno who else has said it, but it's true... I dunno what set you want to use because I use a custom set, but it really is superior...

uh, I can't say much more atm, but I'll give a better rate soon (sorry im a little short on time)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)