1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Spelling and Grammar Standards

Discussion in 'Sixth Generation Contributions' started by GatoDelFuego, Oct 24, 2013.

1. GatoDelFuego

GatoDelFuego This is what is technically known as a Firecat
    is a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributor
    Mentor

Implemented with zystral's latest suggestion.
  2. V0x

V0x I stay out too late
    is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

We are still missing the "while" vs "and" discussion, which I will illustrate with a small example.

Move 1: Flamethrower / Hidden Power Ice

Flamethrower hits Steel-types hard, while Hidden Power Ice deals with those pesky 4x weak Dragons.

• Notice here there is an option: both moves are not used on the same set.

While Sunny Day is on the field, Flamethrower deals more damage.

• Here "while" indicates "at the same time that Sunny Day is on the field".

Move 1: Flamethrower
    Move 2: Hidden Power Ice

Flamethrower hits Steel-types hard, and Hidden Power Ice deals with those pesky 4x weak Dragons.

• Using "while" here suggests you choose between Flamethrower and HP Ice, when in fact the set advises you use both moves. Therefore, you should use "and".

Only use "while" to indicate something happening at the same time or contrast. Basically, would it make sense if you replaced "while" with "whereas"? If not, don't use it.

Also, for this:
    • Do not write an analysis in a form that puts emphasis on changes by generation. This includes avoiding phrases such as "With the advent of BW," "With the newly introduced Fairy-types," and "With the new ability to Mega Evolve."
    It would make more sense for BW to be XY :>
    Calm Pokemaster likes this.
  3. Zystral

Zystral めんどくさい、な~
    is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Incorrect. Here, "while" is not the correct word choice, "whereas" is the one you're looking for. You are being presented with a choice. "while", along with "since" should strictly only be used for chronological purposes. For contrasts / differing choices, use "whereas", "although," and "but".

In short; whenever you are planning to use the word "while", replace that with the phrase "but in this period of time," and see if what you're saying still makes sense.

While on this subject; there is no difference between while and whilst. They are semantically the same and are interchangeable. Don't be a bundle of sticks.
    Calm Pokemaster likes this.
  4. V0x

V0x I stay out too late
    is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

While and whereas are interchangeable in that example though; while can also be used for contrasts / choices according do Google / Wiki / dictionary entries.
  5. melvni

melvni
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Could Kyurem-B, Kyurem-W, Meloetta-P, Landorus-T, Thundurus-T, and Tornadus-T be added to the list of formes? I've seen Kyurem-Black pop up a couple times recently.
    sandshrewz likes this.
  6. sirndpt

sirndpt
    is an Artist Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

^ and i've had to make far too many gp 3/3s correcting landorus-i and thundurus-i! as much as i like the pc++, you guys >:/
    Jukain and sandshrewz like this.
  7. GatoDelFuego

Mentor

This is something I've been wondering about: is it defensively inclined or defensively-inclined? Normally "ly" words aren't hyphenated as a result of being adverbs, but in cases like "a defensively inclined team", you would never just say "an inclined team"--defensively and inclined have to be combined. I've been changing this for a little while and wanted to know what people do about it.
  8. melvni

melvni

Going off the standards the way they're written now at least, defensively inclined team looks a lot like defensively oriented set from:
    • Do not put a hyphen between an adverb and a noun (Pichu can use a defensively oriented set or a specially based set).
    so that would seem like it means no hyphen would be the way to go (you'd never say an oriented set either). Also, I looked up the source of that rule and found this:

so I think probably no hyphen.
  9. sirndpt

sirndpt

"a defensively inclined team" is perfectly fine; an added hyphen would be unnecessary (and imo feels wrong)

in other words, it's obvious that the word 'defensively' modifies the word 'inclined', because it cannot possibly modify 'team'.

in contrast the phrase "the curly-haired dog" would have to be hyphenated because 'curly' is not an adverb and could easily (well, _grammatically_, at any rate) be modifying 'dog'

edit: asdfkjhdskcdf, melvni
  10. GatoDelFuego

Mentor

Ok, it seems the standards are right then. I don't think the rare case that sirn posted should ever come up with use of adverbs, but it's good to keep it in mind I suppose.
  11. melvni

melvni

This is from the Victini research thread. It might be good to get visual confirmation, but if this is true V-Create should be removed from

12. GatoDelFuego

Mentor

I'll trust that it's true, there's no reason to lie about it.
  13. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

Now that I actually have a victini, I can confirm that BOTH variations are used. The capital C is used by the waitress and the lowercase c is on the move itself. I can screencap both if needed.
  14. GatoDelFuego

Mentor

Jesus gamefreak what are you doing. I'll just leave it uncapitalized
  15. GatoDelFuego

Mentor

Is "volt switcher" or "u-turner" an accepted term or should it stick as "x user"?
  16. melvni

melvni

Looking back at page three of the fifth gen thread, it looks like people decided things like Volt Switcher at the very least sounded worse than Volt Switch user, and you should use the latter. Makes sense to me.

Unrelated note: I don't know if they're formes, but could the correct names for the Gourgeist sizes be added somewhere.
  17. Jukain

Jukain .leaf
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributor

Well there's 4 Gourgeist: Small, Average, Large, and Super.

Probably do: Gourgeist-Sm, Gourgeist-A, Gourgeist-L, Gourgeist-Su

Or we could have Gourgeist-Small and Gourgeist-Super. Personally I prefer the first version.

Don't forget this also applies to Pumpkaboo!

The other alternative is having Small Gourgeist, Average Gourgeist, Large Gourgeist, Super Gourgeist, like [type] Arceus.
  18. melvni

melvni

I think I've seen Gourgeist-S, Gourgest-A (maybe, I don't think I've actually ever seen this one tbh), Gourgeist-L, and Gourgeist-H. Whatever it is, it would be good to standardize it; at least the super size one is going to be popping up a lot in analyses I'm sure.
  19. Jukain

Jukain .leaf
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributor

Gourgeist-H is not based off any official size name and should not be used IMO
  20. melvni

melvni

I was just suggesting that because that was what was used in the previews. I personally don't mind what they're called.
  21. sandshrewz

sandshrewz
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

S M L XL? haha jk :p

Gourgeist-Average should be just written as Gourgeist imo. http://pokemonshowdown.com/dex/ then Gourgeist-A can be use to cover all formes besides Average like the case for Rotom? Or would that be too confusing lol. Spelling them fully sounds good with me since we already do that with Arceus. Sm and Su is so weird :c
  22. Jukain

Jukain .leaf

what sandz said is cool, full support
  23. sirndpt

sirndpt

ok

this is something that actually needs to be standardized and i'm not sure why it isn't: 100/100/100 defenses - spaces or n between the stats? i would go with no - i'd always had the impression it wasn't, the old damage calc format (iirc) had it written as, say, "252/252+ Blissey" - but, yeah, as i can't find them anymore, if everyone would rather swap to spaces idm that either.

incidentally, could we standardize that too and put it in the OP: Volcarona's Fire Blast OHKOes 252/252+ Parasect - i don't see much of a need to write out the stats (hp, relevant defense, effect of nature) as they should be implied really

unrelated - for anyone who knows how to scms (open)
    http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/milotic and http://www.smogon.com/bw/pokemon/volcarona - could someone who knows how to scms anymore do me a huge favor and ctrl+f "base" and fix just about every other instance there KTHNX ily
  24. Redew

Redew :O :D
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributor

Iirc Ogles once said that the spaces are only used when you list out the EVs, so anything else is not spaced.
  25. GatoDelFuego

Mentor

Spaces are used in typings, though, and a lot of the examples here have spaces.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)