Spriting Contest - Contest #8: Spriter of the Month: Ice-cold Claws - NEXT CONTEST COMING SOON

Reisen

Translations Project Creator
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Voting Period
All the participants have finished their works, it's time to nominate the best sprites ! During 3 days, everybody on smogon could be able to vote, here are the rules to follow:
  • You will have to vote for 2 sprites, if you vote two times for the same participant, he will earn 2 points.
  • You will have to vote for one trainer sprite & one pokemon sprite only
  • The participants can also vote
  • Give a brief explanation of why you have chosen these 2 sprites
  • Once you have voted, you can't edit it, so make sure to choose the right sprites.
End of the votes: 04/11/2015

The Revamp sprites:

Nightmare Serum
Trainer Sprite:

Pokemon Sprite:

Cynthia612
Trainer sprite:

Pokemon sprite:

Exeggutor
Trainer sprite:

Pokemon sprite:

Kasumi♥

Awu
Trainer sprite:

Pokemon sprite:

Sunfished
Trainer Sprite:

Pokemon Sprite:

Twerkerella
Trainer Sprite:

Pokemon Sprite:

Obliviate
Trainer Sprite:

Pokemon Sprite:

VuvuzelaBzz
Trainer Sprite:

Pokemon Sprite:

sirDonovan
Trainer sprite:

Pokemon sprite:

Valiancy
Pokémon Sprite:

Trainer Sprite:

Participant out: Rhythms - Reason: Technical issue

bobochan

slow mo my bobo
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Looks like another fantastic week for our talented artists here at Smeargle’s :3
My vote for trainer sprite goes to Exeguttor, overall the revamp was done near perfectly.
Not only that, he combined features from both gens (replacing the hair but retaining the Poke Balls).

On the other hand, Twerkerella’s Pokemon sprite was an instant winner for me (cuteness overload).
When I first saw this I thought the revamped sprite was actually the new sprite because it looked amazingly fluffy @_@

Amaluna

Somewhere between relatable and psychotic
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Trainer sprites:
#1 VuvuzelaBzz:
This is a really well done sprite, the shading and recoloring makes this sprite a lot better and you sure made it look 'modern'. You did a wonderful job on this.

#2 Exeggutor:
I really like how you revamped this sprite. The fire from his mouth is really well done and very detailed. I also like how you combined his hat from both sprites. The only issue I have with this, is the arm in the back. It could have been more detailed, but this is definitely a nice sprite. Great job.

Pokémon sprite:

#1 VuvuzelaBzz:
I LOVE this sprite. I love how you revamped it, and even though it looks relatively simple, the pay off is amazing. I also like the pose in general, so that kinda weighs in with my judgement, but I like this one a lot. I also like how you redid the tail. Great job, it's a lovely sprite.

#2 Nightmare Serum:
Again, a really awesome sprite revamp. The recoloring made the sprite look so much better already and you also detailed the beak and legs from it a bit. The shading is a lot more subtle than the original sprite. You were also the first person to submit their art, so props for that. Great job!

HotFuzzBall

fuzzy-chan \(ㆁヮㆁ✿)
is an Artist
I voted for Exeggutor's trainer sprite because the revamp is done really nicely and how this sprite combines aspects from both the old and new sprite (the clothes and hair). I also he liked the detail is the shirt as well as the flames, my only complaint (similarly to Kasumi's) was the back right arm since it could have been more detailed. Overall, amazing job with this one!~

As for the Pokemon sprite, I had to go with Obliviate's Nidoqueen sprite. I really enjoyed the shading and also I generally like that Nidoqueen pose since it gives Nidoqueen a some sort of cuteness appeal. My only complaint would be the eyes, I think it would have been better if you made the eye slightly bigger, but other than that, I really enjoyed this sprite.

Trainer Sprite:
(Exeggutor)

The entire outfit has been revamped nicely and the flames were done very well. My only criticism would be that the shape and colour of the pokeballs on the hat appears a bit off to me.

Pokemon Sprite:
(Kasumi♥)

The reshading here has been done well and the end result could pass as a modern sprite quite easily. Overall this category had quite a few strong submissions that were comparable in quality.

Reisen

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Trainer sprite: sirDonovan

The revamp is very well done and I just love the fact that you resized the sprite by extending it. That's a really nice job

Pokemon sprite: Twerkerella

Great revamp with nice color palette, the shading has perfectly done. That's also a really cute pokemon so nice work and nice choice !

Trainer Sprite: Twerkerella
spriting_contest_2__karen_revamp_by_porkbunyay-d9eulxc.png

The revamp looks pretty damn good. I just like how the sprite looks in general. The pose really suits Karen.The shadings also really good. Plus, Karen is da best elite 4 member :]

Pokemon Sprite VuvuzelaBzz
Fqm6jEL.png

Man, the shading on this... It just looks amazing. It looks like it would be a legit sprite in a Pokemon game.And I like how you changed the position of the pupil to make it look like the tauros is looking upwards instead of down. The only word I can use to describe the revamp is SMASHING.

I like how my descriptions for why I like the sprites are the shortest of any description :]

Reisen

Hello guys,

This is the end of the voting period ! Thank you to all the contestants, it was a very interesting contest and I hope you all enjoyed it. We can nominate the winner now !

Spriters of the Week - 1st place: Exeggutor, Twerkerella & VuvuzelaBzz - 3 votes in total

As you can see, there isn't only one winner but 3 winners for this week congratulations to them and thank you again to all the participants.

The next contest will start the 08/11/2015 !

Reisen

Have you ever wanted to make your own villainous team ? Well this contest will be focused on your creativity and imagination. Indeed you will have to make 3 sprites concerning a villainous team. You will have to make 2 grunt sprites (male and female) and the sprite of Leader of the villainous team.
Here are the rules that the contestants will have to follow:
  • You only have to make 3 sprites, not more
  • You can create your own sprite, cut it from other sprites or just make a recolorization in your villainous team's theme
  • Your villainous team leader sprite will have to be different than the grunts sprites (more badass).
  • You will have to make a description of the villainous team; its goal, the pokemons and favorite types that are used by this team and eventually the team of the Leader.
As you see, the description of the villainous team will also count in the vote, this contest will not be only about the spriting !

Good luck to all the participants !

Deadline: 15/11/2015 GMT + 2
If the participants don't post their sprites before that date, their participation will not be considered.

Participants:

Awu
Cynthia612
Nightmare Serum
Jellal Fernnandes
Kasumi♥
Valiancy
Sunfished
SiTuM'parleT'mort
Twerkerella
VuvuzelaBzz

The villainous teams:

Awu
TEAM STELLAR
I called that team Team Stellar, it is composed by people who are rich. Their goal isn't about stealing pokemons, they just want to dominate the world and their main goal is to kill Jirachi. Their leader has a Deoxys and Team Stellar venerates this pokemon.

Their main types are
types and they use stellar pokemons (basically pokemons that learn cosmic power). I wanted to do something related to space and stars for the Team Stellar. Here are the respective male and female grunts:

Their leader is called Leader Callisto which is a moon of Jupiter planet; here is her sprite:

Her team:

Jellal Fernnandes
Team Sygna

I named the team "Team Sygna". It is composed of people who people who wanted to change the way humanity thinks. Once upon a time, their goal was to help the poor and needy. The leader, Daniel, was a spoiled brat. But, one day, his perspective on wealth had changed.It was all because of his visit to the third world countries with his father. He saw that people worked harder than his father but they still got payed less. He felt that he needed to donate most of his wealth to the poor. So he did. But those who he gave his wealth to, they came back for more and more. They started fighting amongst one another so that they could steal each others money. Daniel was shocked to see greed. He thought that instead of money, he should've given them land so they wouldn't fight as much. But he figured that their greed was never ending. He felt that all humans share this greed. So he vowed to kill all of them. You decide who is right and who is wrong.

Team Sygna mostly use steel and bug types.

Here are the male and female grunts:

The leader, Daniel, is based off a stage of my life, when I had lost hope in humanity. Here he is:

Daniel uses:-

Kasumi♥
Team Mandry

I decided to go with the name Team Mandry. Mandry means 'freeze' in Malagasy, which apparently is a language. Their master typing is Ice. And try to catch all all Ice type Pokémon they come across. Their ultimate goal is to cover the entire globe beneath a layer of snow and ice. In order to reach this goal, they need to have the legendary Pokémon; Kyurem. Their team consists of 2 grunts and 1 leader. Let me introduce you to the team!

On the left we have the ♂ grunt; Roberto.
Roberto is the headstrong grunt in the pack. He always thinks what he does it right and does not care about other people their opinions. What he wants, will happen. And if not, he will make it happen.

In the middle we have the ♀ grunt; Hailey.
Hailey is comparable to that 1 kid in class that always reports stuff to the teacher. Whenever a team member misbehaves or makes a mistake, she will make sure the team leader knows this. As annoying as it might sound, what she does comes in handy quite often. She complements the tier leader immaculately!

And on the far right we have the ♂ leader; Francesco.
Francesco is the most mature member in the team. He keeps his head cool and always makes the correct decisions. Even with the biggest set-back, he solves the issue single-handedly to make sure their mission doesn't fail.

The team members:

The leaders team:

Will they ever be victorious? Will their goal keep the distance? Or will their entire plan backfire?
I honestly doubt it, because let's be real, what does one have for a well-played Beartic?

Cynthia612
TEAM ALPHA

I gave my team epithet "Team Alpha". This team is composed of people from different regions who gathered together to quell their sufferings by using the power of The Alpha Pokemon, Arceus to change the World as they think God is the one responsible for the sufferings they experienced and they wish to exact revenge for it. They have dug into Team Plasma's research after its disbandment and now with this information and some other Intelligence they can summon the Legendary Pokemon. Can they change their Fate? Will they be able to alleviate their suffering? The team prefers using Normal, Psychic and Dark type Pokemon.

Team Alpha Grunt ♂ Simon :
He is from Kanto. He is the laid back member of group who only speaks when needed. One day he was returning to his home after winning first prize for Painting only to see his Parents and Elder Sister murdered by some robbers. Those red walls and pale bodies of his family made him distance out and grow a cocoon around himself. His dependability and calmness is his biggest asset.

Team Alpha Grunt ♀ Violet :

Violet is from Unova. She is a very blunt and outspoken member and makes up for Simon's quietness. She is very clever outwitting people with her razor sharp wits. But her serrated tongue is the real deal. She was cheated by her lover whom she considered her soulmate. He turned her life into that of a prostitute. She still sees him in her nightmares tormenting her. Her wits and her street genius is her best asset.

Team Alpha Leader Yuri :
Yuri is from Sinnoh. She is a prodigy who possesses psychic powers. She is very level headed member who loves her comrades very deeply. She wants to re-animate the world to remove suffering while only thing she wants is to ask her mother why she left her alone in the Woods the moment she was born. Her love and caring side while still being level headed and calculating nature which keeps her two steps ahead her enemies, making her a formidable member.

Leader's Team :

VuvuzelaBzz
TEAM ORGY

This team's aim is to win teambats and collect all the phallically-shaped Pokémon. Commonly used pokemon include Honedge's evolution line for obvious reasons.

Team ORGY Grunt ♂ Django
(now ginger-free!)

Django is the team scapegoat. He is the butt of most jokes and the one who takes all the blame whenever something goes wrong.

Team ORGY Grunt ♀ Hikari

Hikari is the team tsundere. She uses a lot of sarcasm and never bothers to fix her watch that's always 30 minutes behind.

Team ORGY Grand Dragon Vuvu

He is slim and petite too, and he plays cello.

Vuvu's Team:

SiTuM'parleT'mort
TEAM ORIGIN

Team Origin Grunt Male and Female
and
Team Origin Leader Johnson

The purpose of the team is to bring back to life the mother of Johnson who is dead when he was 8 years old. Her mother was killed by a Bisharp. Since this time, he devotes all his time to this. He recrutes people who had no work and help him to the ultime operation: MOTHER-Z. His powerful Porygon-Z help him for the researches. (He get back the body of her mom by destroying an hospital with his Tyranitar.) Finally Johnson sometimes take the control of a entire city to develop his researches.

Valiancy
My team is called Team Genesis. They are commanded by Ciro, whose goal is to gain control of the world by altering the genetic material of Pokémon, thus making them stronger.

Team Genesis Grunt (Female):

Team Genesis Grunt (Male):

Team Genesis Boss Ciro:

Although no-one knows his exact age, Ciro is over a hundred years old, and his body has been maintained for so long by harnessing the life energy of Pokémon, but this has left his body physically weak.

Participants out: Sunfished , Nightmare Serum & Twerkerella - Reason: IRL issues.

WINNER OF THE VILLAINOUS TEAM CONTEST:

1st place: Kasumi♥ - 3 votes in total

TEAM MANDRY

Last edited:

Amaluna

Somewhere between relatable and psychotic
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
I'll try something. But when is a villain considered a villain? What do they need?

Reisen

Here is my work:

TEAM STELLAR
I called that team Team Stellar, it is composed by people who are rich. Their goal isn't about stealing pokemons, they just want to dominate the world and their main goal is to kill Jirachi. Their leader has a Deoxys and Team Stellar venerates this pokemon.

Their main types are
types and they use stellar pokemons (basically pokemons that learn cosmic power). I wanted to do something related to space and stars for the Team Stellar. Here are the respective male and female grunts:

Their leader is called Leader Callisto which is a moon of Jupiter planet; here is her sprite:

Her team:

Team Sygna

I named the team "Team Sygna". It is composed of people who people who wanted to change the way humanity thinks. Once upon a time, their goal was to help the poor and needy. The leader, Daniel, was a spoiled brat. But, one day, his perspective on wealth had changed.It was all because of his visit to the third world countries with his father. He saw that people worked harder than his father but they still got payed less. He felt that he needed to donate most of his wealth to the poor. So he did. But those who he gave his wealth to, they came back for more and more. They started fighting amongst one another so that they could steal each others money. Daniel was shocked to see greed. He thought that instead of money, he should've given them land so they wouldn't fight as much. But he figured that their greed was never ending. He felt that all humans share this greed. So he vowed to kill all of them. You decide who is right and who is wrong.

Team Sygna mostly use steel and bug types.

Here are the male and female grunts:
Team Sygna mal.png
Team Sygna fem.png

The leader, Daniel, is based off a stage of my life, when I had lost hope in humanity. Here he is:
Team Sygna ldr.png

Daniel uses:-

212-mega.gif
571.gif
625.gif
637.gif
348.gif
376.gif

Thank you to Awu for showing me how to compose the contest post :)

durn, sorry but it seems that i'm not able to enter this time. aside from not having a fixed design concept yet, mia familia will be going out this weekend to a place with no internet. good luck to all anyways

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)