SS OU SS Goodra OU Team

SS Goodra OU Team

This is a Sword and Shield OU Team that I built around my namesake Goodra. It's a pretty basic team with a few less popular choices among the meta but I like to be different sometimes as stupid as that sounds.

The Team

Goodra.png

Fleur (Goodra) (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
Dragon Pulse
Flamethrower
Sludge Wave
Thunderbolt

Who this team is built around and my personal favorite Pokemon. Goodra's bulk is pretty useful in this meta who can actually eat a Draco Meteor from Dragapult and OHKO back with Dragon Pulse. Flamethrower covers threats like Ferrothorn and Excadrill. Sludge wave for annoying fairy types like Hatterene who it can usually take on 1v1 if it hasn't boosted too many Calm Minds. Thunderbolt is for hitting Pokemon Gyarados and Barraskewda who can be threats to the team especially if the former starts boosting.

Alwyn (Sylveon) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 SpD
Calm Nature
Hyper Voice
Mystical Fire
Protect
Wish

The teams healer and premier check to Dragapult who can struggle to even 3 hit KO Sylveon at times and is 1 hit KO'd in return by Hyper Voice. Wish helps keep Goodra and Seimistoad healthy with the former having no recovery options with Assault Vest and latter getting worn down from the tanking. Protect lets Sylveon scout incoming attacks as well as help pass Wishes to itself to heal. Since it can't access Heal Bell in this game I substituted with Mystical Fire to hit threats like Ferrothorn and G. Darmanitan on switch.

Cinderace.png

Rhys (Cinderace) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
Pyro Ball
Sucker Punch
U-turn
High Jump Kick

The revenge killer. Pyro Ball is of course it's STAB of choice threatening leads like Galvantula and Ribombee. Sucker Punch gives Cinderace priority to pick off revenge killers and faster threats.. U-Turn to scout and form a VoltTurn combo with Toxtricity. High Jump Kick gives it coverage for Tyranitar and the rare Obstagoon.

Toxtricity.png

Rai (Toxtricity) (M) @ Throat Spray
Ability: Punk Rock
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Rash Nature
Overdrive
Boomburst
Shift Gear
Fire Punch

Late game sweeper for the team. Shift Gear allows it to boost it's speed on something it threats out or does minimal damage too and starts sweeping. Overdrive is of course it's main STAB boosted by Punk Rock hitting threats like Corviknight and Gyarados hard. Boomburst is fantastic neutral coverage with the boost from Punk Rock hitting even resistant Pokemon hard with the boost from Throat Spray after used. Fire Punch to hit annoying threats like Ferrothorn who would otherwise setup or force Toxtricity out.[/hide]

Fang (Obstagoon) (M) @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
Obstruct
Knock Off
Facade
Close Combat

Physical wallbreaker and status absorber thanks to Guts+Flame Orb. It also completely stops a Polteageist sweep if it lacks Giga Drain. Obstruct is a fantastic scouting tool that can cripple physical walls and allows Guts to activate with Flame Orb. Knock Off is it's dark STAB and can let me cripple Pokemon heavily reliant on their held item. Facade hits extremely hard with Guts+STAB+Double Damage from status being it's best neutral coverage. Close Combat to deal with Steel types that resist Facade and don't take much damage from Knock Off.

Sei.png

Bubbles (Seismitoad) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
Stealth Rock
Scald
Earthquake
Toxic
Added to the team to help with threats like Dracovish and give some SR support. Liquidation over Scald because I don't like mixing status when I have Toxic already. Scald makes opponents think twice about switching in with the burn chance crippling physical threats. Earthquake to hit Pokemon like Ttar, Excadrill, Toxapex and Toxtricity. Toxic to cripple setup sweepers and walls. Stealth Rock to weaken threats that don't wear Heavy Duty Boots.

Corviknight.png

Jet (Corviknight) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 80 Def / 180 SpD
Impish Nature
Defog
Brave Bird
Roost
U-Turn

Hazard Control and checks to threats like Excadrill. Defog removes hazards and gets rid of screens from pesky teams. Roost to heal off damage it takes while boosting in the face of weaker opponents. U-Turn to let it pivot into checks like Cinderace. Brave Bird is it's best attack hitting hard on even some resisted types.

Conclusion

This is the current team which has done pretty decent so far though definitely could use some tweaks. I'm considering replacing Toxtricity with Galvantula or Orbeetle to give some sticky web support since the team is on the slower side while still having a VoltTurn/U-Turn partner for Cinderace. Let me know what you folks think of the team and any advice on improving the team. I'm open to suggestions outside of replacing Goodra for obvious reasons haha.

Goodra (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 Spe
Modest Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Flamethrower
- Sludge Wave
- Thunderbolt

Sylveon (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 SpD
Calm Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Mystical Fire
- Protect
- Wish

Cinderace (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Pyro Ball
- Sucker Punch
- U-turn
- High Jump Kick

Toxtricity (M) @ Throat Spray
Ability: Punk Rock
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Rash Nature
- Overdrive
- Boomburst
- Shift Gear
- Fire Punch

Seismitoad (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Toxic

Corviknight (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 80 SpD / 180 Spe
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- U-turn

Last edited:
i'm testing this on the ladder, will go back to you if any changes need to be made :p good team on theory tho

Your team needs speed control, Darmanitan-G and Dragapult can take a lot of kills if u dont predict the move.

Also, Dracovish can destroy your team, so I would put Toxapex instead of Sylveon.

Your team needs speed control, Darmanitan-G and Dragapult can take a lot of kills if u dont predict the move.

Also, Dracovish can destroy your team, so I would put Toxapex instead of Sylveon.
I don't see how Toxapex would solve the Dracovish issue when it rips right through it. Both get 2HKO'd by it but at least Sylveon can 1HKO it or force it out if locked into Outrage.

Seismatoad shits on dracovish
As long as it's not a banded Outrage. That said if Seismitoad were to be used Sylveon is still a partner I'd want to keep then since it can provide Seismitoad needed Wish support and a check to Hydreigon/Dragapult.

I'm dumb

Last edited:
What can Sylveon do that Clef doesn't? Being more offensive while still holding the cleric role? Being able to hit Hydra through subs?

Also yeah i'd recommend seis so draco doesn't smash you. You can keep the sylveon tho, maybe obsta is the most expendable?

Would it be more beneficial for you to run sucker punch on cinderace instead of high jump kick, as it could help with your speed weakness and could get you some revenge kills safely. Also it can OHKO SPD aegislash, a common pokemon that could cause some trouble for your team and cinderace can still keep its jolly nature. Hope this was some what helpful. Also it would OHKO dragapult.

Last edited:
Would it be more beneficial for you to run sucker punch on cinderace instead of high jump kick, as it could help with your speed weakness and could get you some revenge kills safely. Also it can OHKO SPD aegislash a common pokemon that could cause some trouble for your team, and cinderace can still keep its jolly nature. Hope this was some what helpful.
Yeah I use that tek a lot too, prolly solid

What can Sylveon do that Clef doesn't? Being more offensive while still holding the cleric role? Being able to hit Hydra through subs?

Also yeah i'd recommend seis so draco doesn't smash you. You can keep the sylveon tho, maybe obsta is the most expendable?
Basically outside of silly aesthetics I prefer it being able to hit through subs and having some guaranteed OHKOs with Hyper Voice. I could use Seismitoad but not sure if it'd benefit more removing Obstagoon or Toxtricity.

As long as it's not a banded Outrage. That said if Seismitoad were to be used Sylveon is still a partner I'd want to keep then since it can provide Seismitoad needed Wish support and a check to Hydreigon/Dragapult.
Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 6 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Baneful Bunker
- Haze

Seismitoad works too tho

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 6 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Baneful Bunker
- Haze

Seismitoad works too tho
No to Toxapex. Seismitoad is a better fit and brings SR which I am missing.

Last edited:

Alstone

Banned deucer.
I know there is a test for Dynamax, but if for ever reason it is not banned from singles competitive, I would use Corvinknight-Gmax version, you would at least help with it's special move G-Max flying something to clear away screens from Reflect/Light Screen/Auruoa Veil Pokemon so it doesn't stop you from beating entire teams (I think it's called sweeping?) if you ever have that advantage with the steel bird

I know there is a test for Dynamax, but if for ever reason it is not banned from singles competitive, I would use Corvinknight-Gmax version, you would at least help with it's special move G-Max flying something to clear away screens from Reflect/Light Screen/Auruoa Veil Pokemon so it doesn't stop you from beating entire teams (I think it's called sweeping?) if you ever have that advantage with the steel bird
Court Change steals those for myself.

Updated the team adding Seismitoad in place of Obstagoon. Team has been doing well though a tad slow. Debating on replacing Toxtricity with a Sticky Web user but not sure which Pokemon I want to use to setup Sticky Web if I did or if that'd be a bad choice with the lose of power from removing Toxtricity.

Edit: Replaced Toxtricity with Galvantula for Webs support.

Last edited:
Would you still want Court Change with the 2 new changes??
It's still good to have if I can't get hazards out or if mine have been removed but their hazards are still out. It still also works well with screwing over teams that abuse screens.

I really like your team and it's main theme, is it okay if I modify it for my own team? I'd just change a few of the moves and I'd replace seismitoad and galvantula but keep your main theme of goodra (because I love goodra too). Cool team!

Tried it a few times... has signfiicant trouble dealing with Galar-Darmanitan... which OHKOs everything with the exception of corkiknight which it leaves with ~10-15.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)