Ladder STABmons (the old one)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lcass4919

The Xatu Warrior
lol i meant sucked in comparason to ou standards, in this meta it has too much revenge killers for it to be "broken" its good, but not nearly in the level that it is in OU

Has Kyurem-White ever been considered for unbanning? Kyurem-Black is surprisingly bad in STABmons (I should know: I use it anyway), and Kyurem-White... I think the biggest thing it gets out of this meta is Freeze Dry?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ghoul King said:
has Kyurem-White ever been considered for unbanning? Kyurem-Black is surprisingly bad in STABmons (I should know: I use it anyway), and Kyurem-White... I think the biggest thing it gets out of this meta is Freeze Dry?
Kyurem-Black is exceptional in STABmons, dunno what you mean here. Kyurem-White has no counters because Ice Beam / Freeze Dry / Earth Power rips up the metagame. Probably not.

Lcass4919

The Xatu Warrior
On an unrelated note: has Kyurem-White ever been considered for unbanning? Kyurem-Black is surprisingly bad in STABmons (I should know: I use it anyway), and Kyurem-White... I think the biggest thing it gets out of this meta is Freeze Dry?
its because unlike kyublack kyurem white (along with black) has way more diversity on the special side then the physical side. getting stuff like draco, earth power, ice beam, fusion flare, and whatnot. the problem isnt that "it doesnt get anything new barring spacial rend" its that "it already HAS what makes it good" and adding more to it wont help its destructiveness. of course kyub black gets the famed bolt beam, but draco bolt beam pales in comparason to dragon/ice/fire/ground coverage with turbo(let alone freeze dry included), walled only by the blob herself. its wallbreaking power would just be insane, it even does ~37% to chansey with draco meteor, which allthough pathetic, is very very powerful on chanseys special bulk for a neutral hit.

EV

Banned deucer.
There is no more council. I speak for myself. End of story. I'm editing/deleting posts that continue to discuss the topic.

Ghoul King I don't think Kyurem-B is bad at all. It may have an unfortunate weakness to a common attack type (Steel) and struggle in beating said types (Scizor, Aegislash namely) but thanks to setup, which it didn't have before, and Mold Breaker, which ignores stuff like Unaware, it is very potent under the right circumstances. It tends to require a little more support than other setup, but it can even stomach Diggersby FakeSpeed and hit back with SE Ice STAB. Big threat imo.

... Mold Breaker ignores Unaware? That's not what's happened when I've been playing. I stopped running Dragon Dance months ago because I needed priority more and the damage did not go up against Quagsire and Clefable, even if I had 2 or more Dragon Dances.

EV

Banned deucer.
... Mold Breaker ignores Unaware? That's not what's happened when I've been playing. I stopped running Dragon Dance months ago because I needed priority more and the damage did not go up against Quagsire and Clefable, even if I had 2 or more Dragon Dances.
Yes. http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Mold_Breaker_(Ability)

I have a replay I can post showing me breaking through a Quagsire with Sub+DD+Icicle Crash. I think it's in the sample teams thread.

I'm very sure it does. I remember beating Quagsire with a Mold Breaker Excadrill in ABC. But I haven't tried KyuB in STABmons too much. Maybe someone can play a bluff match and compare the damage calculations.

Defensive Fire-types are pretty rare. All I can think of is Heatran and Arcanine, and the latter is only because of Intimidate. I guess Volcarona can somewhat be considered defensive. Fire-types generally just aren't suited for defense.
What About Torkoal?
Torkoal @ Leftovers
Ability: Shell Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
- Searing Shot
- Yawn

What About Torkoal?
Torkoal @ Leftovers
Ability: Shell Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
- Searing Shot
- Yawn
Torkoal suffers from aggron syndrome in being unable to heal itself. this is only compounded by being unviable as a tank or restalker

I'd like to call for a suspect testing of Kyurem-Black. Kyurem-B is a Pokemon that doesn't necessarily scream "metagame defining" in its title, but I've really started to notice how insanely strong it is. With an incredibly high Attack stat of 170 and solid bulk of 125 / 100 / 90, it's a force to be reckoned with. The only problem holding it back was its lack of physical Ice-type STAB moves, which it now gets. But what makes Kyurem a defining force? Firstly, it has a myriad of sets which range from DD + 3 Attacks, SubDD, Choice Band, Mixed, and some lesser used sets like AV (which is pretty unique!) and StallRem (another unique set, needs more testing). I brought this up in convo with council, and I got some feedback from DinaIsha which I will address here:

It's not.

- Weak to Rocks.
This isn't a very valid argument anymore; Thundurus is also Stealth Rock weak but was put on suspect. Kyurem-Black has Roost for bulky DD sets if it wants to, so it's not as valid. It's got the bulk to pull this off, unlike Thundurus, so I don't see how this holds it back from being too strong.

- Checked by Scizor on first turn switch.
Not really. Bullet Punch will never OHKO, and a +1 Fusion Bolt has a likely chance to OHKO uninvested Scizor after Stealth Rock. Invested are always 2HKOed by it, so the point is moot. Scizor can hurt it hard with Gear Grind, but it will still be smacked by Fusion Bolt. Uninvested Scizor is 2HKOed by an unboosted Fusion Bolt, so Kyurem-B has a likely chance to beat it. There's also the point that Magnezone is an exceptional partner for Kyurem-Black, so Scizor will have to be wary.

- Quagsire can Toxic it in first turn switch and try to stall it.
SubDD uses Quagsire as set up fodder and walks all over it, and special sets will blast through with Freeze-Dry. Quagsire is not a check at all, and it really will not ever win versus Kyurem-Black unless played badly. Also, Lum Berry is a common item, so Toxic isn't even guaranteed.

- If it still fails, Kyu-B is left at lower HP which is vulnerable to FakeSpeeding.
Well, since SubDD is beating Quagsire, then not really. Substitute blocks Fake Out and then Diggersby or any other Normal-type is blasted by Icicle Spear. The strongest Extreme Speed, Diggersby's, will not OHKO even after Stealth Rock / Substitute damage either.

- Sableye with WillOWisp and TTurvy can check it to some extent.
I'm going to refrain back to the trusty SubDD once again. Substitute blocks both and doesn't care. Wisp is also blocked by Lum Berry variants. Sableye can't switch into any of its moves, hell, even Ice Shard 2HKOes Sableye at +1. That's what makes it so good!

It's exactly like Digger. If it had 6 Moves, it'd be unstoppable. But stuck with 4, it can be checked easily.
I don't agree with this. Substitute / Dragon Dance / Icicle Spear / [Ice Shard / Fusion Bolt] walks over a large portion of the metagame. Kyurem-B forces out so many Pokemon it's not even funny. The perfect coverage in just two moves is excellent and it is able to set up on a large variety of the metagame.

Here's a Kyurem-Black team if anyone would like to try it out:
Aerodactyl @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 100 HP / 252 Atk / 20 SpD / 136 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Ascent
- Diamond Storm
- Roost
- Crunch

Diggersby @ Focus Sash
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Lovely Kiss
- Spikes
- Shell Smash
- Explosion

Magnezone @ Iron Plate
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Doom Desire
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- King's Shield

Kyurem-Black @ Lum Berry
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Icicle Spear
- Fusion Bolt
- Ice Shard

Togekiss @ Power Herb
Ability: Super Luck
EVs: 88 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 164 Spe
Modest Nature
- Geomancy
- Oblivion Wing
- Aura Sphere
- Fire Blast

Stoutland @ Silk Scarf
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Extreme Speed
- Rapid Spin
- Superpower
This team illustrates how great Kyurem-Black is when in use. Please test this team a bit or even make your own variations, but here's just a sample team to demonstrate it's power. This team illustrates DD + 3 Attacks, which is quite difficult to stop. I like SubDD a lot, but this variation fits better on this team,

Some questions to think about:
  1. Is Kyurem-Black too strong for STABmons?
  2. Does Kyurem-Black have a solid counter out there?
  3. Does Kyurem-Black make the metagame too centralized?
  4. Is Kyurem-Black too hard to set up with?
  5. Does Stealth Rock hinder Kyurem-Blacks' effectiveness in the metagame?
:heart:.

Last edited:
Most Mega Scizors run 252 HP since it already gets Shift Gear to fix the Speed. At 252 HP, Scizor-M is 3HKOed by Fusion Bolt. But no matter how much KyuB invests, it is always 0HKOed by Gear Grind.

I can always agree that a well built team can help eliminate KyuB's checks and allow it to wreck face, but that doesn't make KyuB too powerful individually.

It suffers from 4MSS as well. The set you gave gets wrecked by Heatran and Aegislash. Earth Power can fix this, but then you'd lose out of checking some other Pokemon. It's not OP, but damn near OP.

Most Mega Scizors run 252 HP since it already gets Shift Gear to fix the Speed. At 252 HP, Scizor-M is 3HKOed by Fusion Bolt. But no matter how much KyuB invests, it is always 0HKOed by Gear Grind.

I can always agree that a well built team can help eliminate KyuB's checks and allow it to wreck face, but that doesn't make KyuB too powerful individually.

It suffers from 4MSS as well. The set you gave gets wrecked by Heatran and Aegislash. Earth Power can fix this, but then you'd lose out of checking some other Pokemon. It's not OP, but damn near OP.
It doesn't get "wrecked" by either of those. Aegislash is 2HKOed by +1 Fusion Bolt, so it will take a large dent if it comes into a boosted attack. If Kyurem-B decides to Substitute, and then Dragon Dance, then Aegislash is left in Blade form and is easily taken out by Fusion Bolt. King's Shield, sure, but then there's the mind game of setting up more DD / Substitutes. Heatran is also 2HKOed by a boosted Fusion Bolt and will require Doom Desire to take effect in two turns to effectively beat it. They can take a hit from it, but both are 2HKOed and neither can immediately OHKO. Though, Aegislash can break Kyurem-B's Substitute with Gear Grind, but it won't KO after a Substitute, Kyurem-B will have very low health but will not be KOed.

You do bring up Mega Scizor as a valid check, and I didn't think of it tbh! Was tired when wrote above post. Regular Scizor, though, is checked. I did mention that Scizor KOes with Gear Grind in my post though, but that's just one Pokemon. And, Magnezone KOes both forms, and it's a great partner as I've said, so Scizor has to be careful. Also, why would you set up Kyurem-B with Scizor on the field anyways lol?

About your second comment, that's not the point. Not every single Pokemon needs to be broken individually to be broken. Kyurem-B requires very little support, which is basically just Stealth Rock removal and possibly trapping, which is definitely not too much to provide for it. Kyurem's bulk, typing, and little team support, all give it the opportunity to set up, which is why it's too strong.

Scenario 1 (Substitute): 252 Atk Teravolt Kyurem-B Fusion Bolt vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Aegislash-Shield: 94-111 (29 - 34.2%). So, twice ~ 58 - 68.4%

Scenario 2 (Dragon Dance): +1 252 Atk Teravolt Kyurem-B Fusion Bolt vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Aegislash-Shield: 141-166 (43.5 - 51.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

+1 (Shift Gear after tanking either of the above hits) 252+ Atk Aegislash-Blade Gear Grind (2 hits) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Kyurem-B: 600-708 (153.4 - 181%) -- guaranteed OHKO (Break Sub, if any, and kills in a pinch. Guaranteed kill with Stealth Rocks damage + Substitute)

I don't know why you keep assuming that Shift Gear users do not run HP.

Edit: I'm very sure your set had Jolly before (Now it says Adamant). Regardless, the Sub scenario is handled well by Aegislash. Not to mention KS prediction (Where you assume that KyuB will always predict right).

Mega Scizor is the best answer to KyuB, but depending on moveset, things like Skarmory, Heatran or Aegislash check it.

Last edited:
Sorry for the double post but a programming error came to my attention today. In STABmons pokemon that have incompatibilities with a STAB move don't have those incompatibilities removed. For example, Clefable cannot use Moonblast with Softboiled. If Slayer95 or someone else could fix this that would be great

You are probably right Pagoose

Last edited:
Sorry for the double post but a programming error came to my attention today. In STABmons pokemon that have incompatibilities with a STAB move don't have those incompatibilities removed. For example, Clefable cannot use Moonblast with Softboiled. If Slayer95 or someone else could fix this that would be great
I have used defog poison heal gliscor, a set that is normally illegal in ou. Are you sure that your clefable set isn't just incompatible because of unaware and softboiled not being compatible?

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
Remember that clefable no longer gets normal type moves, since its entire line is mono-fairy as of gen 6.

Has anyone tried Reckless High Jump Kick Emboar out yet? It might be a good wallbreaker, although it's a bit slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)