Ladder STABmons (the old one)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EV

Banned deucer.
Approved by Arcticblast.

Art by Arhops

Welcome to the all new generation of STABmons! X & Y and then ORAS introduced us to many new Pokémon, moves, abilities, and even a new type, and all of it is sure to make a splash in the new and improved STABmons metagame. This time around, I've streamlined the rules to make it easier to play. Otherwise, it's basically the same old metagame you remember from before. Let's take a look around!

+RULES
  • Pokémon can use all moves of the same type as their own typing. For example, Eevee is a Normal-type and now gains access to every Normal move along with its usual movepool that it learns via level up, breeding, TMs, HMs, and the move tutors.
  • Pokémon that evolve into a new type carry their old typing with them. For example, Espeon is a Psychic-type that evolves from Eevee so it now gains all Psychic moves and Normal moves.
  • Pokémon that change forme outside of battle may also transfer moves this way. For example, Shaymin is a Grass-type that changes forme with the Gracidea outside of battle into a Grass- and Flying-type. Since Shaymin-Sky can transform back into regular Shaymin, it can transfer its Flying moves to that forme.
  • For a complete list of evolution and forme type changes, see below.
  • Megas do not grant their new STABs to their base Pokemon! This is because Mega Evolution only takes place during battle when a Pokemon is unable to learn any moves. This is the same logic behind why Castform can't learn all Ice, Fire, and Water moves.

+CLAUSES & BANS
  • Standard OU banlist, except:
  • Bans:
    • Sylveon
    • Porygon-Z
    • Mega Altaria
    • Mega Metagross
    • Mega Lopunny
    • Mega Slowbro
    • Keldeo
    • Diggersby
    • Mega Aerodactyl
    • Kyurem-Black
    • Items: King's Rock, Razor Fang
  • Unbans:
    • Darkrai
    • Deoxys-Speed
    • Deoxys-Defense
    • Aegislash
  • Move restrictions:
    • Sketch is limited to Smeargle only
    • Chatter is limited to Chatot only
  • Sleep, OHKO, Species, Evasion, Moody, Swagger, Endless Battle, and Baton Pass clauses are in effect
  • No Gen jumping types (An example would be Togekiss keeping access to its Normal typing from Gen 5.)
+EXTRA
Pokémon that change typing or lose a type during evolution:
->
Grass & Poison
->
Ground, Steel, & Rock
->
Bug, Steel, & Flying
->
Corresponding type & Normal
->
Water, Fairy, & Normal
->
Rock, Dark, & Ground
->
Bug, Flying, & Water
->
Psychic, Fighting & Fairy
->
Bug, Flying, & Ground or
Bug, Ghost, & Ground
->
Dragon, Flying, & Normal
->
Dark, Poison, & Bug
->
Fire, Flying, & Normal

->
Water, Poison, & Dragon

Pokémon that change typing or lose a type during forme change:
->
Grass & Flying are interchangeable since forme change happens outside battle via the Gracidea.
Although Rotom can change forme outside battle, it isn't allowed to transfer types between formes, except Ghost, because it forgets moves it can't learn when it returns to normal Rotom. For example, under normal circumstances, Rotom-Wash forgets Hydro Pump when it reverts back to Rotom.
Kyurem can also change formes outside of battle, but it stays the same type when it changes, thus it can't carry over Fire and Electric moves from Reshiram and Zekrom respectively. And similar to Rotom, when the Kyurem formes separate with the DNA splicer, they forget their signature moves.

The following Pokémon change only during battle and thus don't transfer types according to the rules of STABmons:
Castform, Meloetta, Darmanitan, all Mega formes.

+VIABILITY RANKING

+CREATIVE & UNDERRATED SETS

+SPEED TIERS

+STABMONS+

EDIT: Arcticblast was here, Birkal sux

Last edited:

EV

Banned deucer.
Council:
Current Suspects: N/A

~*~*~
Welcome to the new version of our frontier! Things are a bit different this time around, but the overall concept it pretty much the same.
  • Each Brain will specialize in a particular STABmons format and you must battle them with a team of your choice in that format.
  • Brains cannot decline a challenge but are allowed to pick a time to schedule one if they aren't available at the time of the challenge.
  • The battle timer must be turned ON during the match if requested by the challenger.
  • Save the replay and post it in this thread after your battle.
  • If you lose against a Brain, you must wait at least 24 hours before challenging the frontier again from the beginning.
  • If you beat all 5 Brains consecutively (in any order), you will become a Champion and join the frontier. You do not have to wait 24 hours to challenge the next brain if you win.
  • There will be a maximum of 2 Champions at any give time, one Senior and one Junior. They will specialize in standard STABmons only.
  • Champions must be challenged in order of Junior -> Senior. Only Senior Champions can be replaced. Once a Senior Champion is defeated by a challenger, the Junior Champion takes his/her place and the challenger takes the place of the former Junior Champion.
    • Champions may choose their own avatars. :3

Brain Eevee General
Format:
STABmons+Monotype
Specific bans: Regular STABmons banlist, No Normal teams

Brain Ellipse
Format:
STABmons Gen 5 (Gen 5 custom game)
Specific bans: Follow Gen 5 STABmon's rules
Record:

Brain Pagoose
Format:
STABmons LC
Specific bans: No new Normal moves for Normal-types

Brain Lcass4919
Format:
STABmons NU (Smogon NU tier)
Specific bans: Archeops, No new Normal moves for Normal-types

Brain insanelegend
Format:
STABmons UU (See this thread for cutoffs)
Specific bans: Belly Drum

Junior Champion ?
Format: Standard STABmons
Archive:

Senior Champion ?
Format: Standard STABmons
Archive:

Dome Ace The Eevee General (Eevee General)

[6-6]

Pike Queen unfixable (Unfixable)

[3-4]

Salon Maiden Pikachuun (Pikachuun)

[4-2]

Palace Maven The Reptile (DreMZ)

[4-3]
W: Ellipse
W: gym leader alan
L: Scarfnaut
L: pocemon mastar
W: Kit Kasai
W: insanelegend
L: insanelegend

Arena Tycoon Seraph's Fire

[3-1]
W: Flame Emblem
W: FishInABox
W: Anttya

Factory Head DinaIsha (DinaIsha)

[2-3]
L: Anttya
W: El-Soldier
W: bluetn
L: Pagoose

Pyramid King w0rd (word) - RETIRED

[5-4]

Champion Scarfnaut (Scarf Wynaut)

Last edited:

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
Meleotta @ Fist plate / spooky plate
Nature: Timid
Evs: 252 satk / 252 spe / 4 hp
- Shell Smash
- Boomburst
- Psystrike / judgement
- Judgement / aura sphere

Can't think of a better shell smash sweeper. Either Dual STAB with the ability to punch through stronger special walls, and a stronger fighting move, or perfect coverage that beats up on ghosts between aura sphere and ghost judgement

Pikachuun

the entire waruda machine
Don't forget to put the rotom-forme exception in the OP (The one which Rotom-Wash can only learn electric, ghost, and water moves).

Gonna shamelessly steal this set from the gen 5 thread now...
Sylveon @ Earth Plate
Ability: Pixillate
Nature: Modest | Timid
Evs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
- Shell Smash
- Boomburst
- Judgment
- Psyshock

This set does one thing well. Use Shell Smash, spam Pixillate-boosted STAB Boomburst, wreck face. Earth Plate Judgment is very good coverage, dealing with both of Sylveon's weaknesses. Psyshock is for anything really specially defensive.

I think Huge Power Azumarill could be quite good with access to all Water, Fairy and Normal moves. Huge variety of attacking moves, Belly Drum ExtremeSpeed, a lot of different options.

Haven't used this yet but holy shit
Talonflame @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Gale Wings
Nature: Adamant
Evs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
- Belly Drum
- Acrobatics
- V-Create/Flare Blitz
- Roost/Steel Wing

Automatic Acrobatics activation with Belly Drum, spamming a 110 BP Priority move at +6. This thing is insane. Thank you Fletchling, for taking a top-tier threat and turning it into a 1-turn death machine.

+6 252+ Atk Talonflame Acrobatics vs. 244 HP / 252+ Def Gliscor: 378-445 (107.38 - 126.42%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+6 252+ Atk Talonflame Acrobatics vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Thundurus-T: 410-483 (113.25 - 133.42%) -- guaranteed OHKO

The rest of its "counters" are obliterated by Flare Blitz and Steel Wing.

Last edited:
What about for pokemon like Ampharos who gain a type when they Mega Evolve?

EDIT: Don't forget that kirlia evolves into Gallade, so Gallade can use all Fairy-type moves.

Captian Awesome, I would assume that because mega evolutions only happen in battle, like Melo-P, that they would not get MEvo moves.

EV

Banned deucer.
I added Gallade. Going to add the formes too.
TheBurgerKing99 , I decided not to Gen jump Togekiss's Normal typing. I want to keep it simple and avoid confusion with past gen type changes (this would affect the Clefable and Granbull lines, too, so they stay just Fairy, they don't get Fairy/Normal.) I feel like it's already enough to let pre-evolution types carry forward. Had Togepi been Normal/Fairy...

Aww, gona miss my SS toge set. On the other hand we have

Kangas

Who can finally abuse his ability to the fullest. With moves like fake out, extreme speed, he's good. But he's better than that, as he gets two terrifying moves. with access to the moves Super Fang and Seismic Toss, he's capable of 2hkoing any non-ghost in the game. All of them. Along with this, he gets both crunch and sucker punch to handle ghosts, and ends up being the most terrifying wallbreaker ever, only coming close to being stopped by sableye.

SpartanMalice

Y'all jokers must be crazy
Uhm, Super Fang doesn't work like that. It first reduces your health to half of said health, and the second time it would do the same thing in theory (even then not KO'ing it, but bringing it to 25), but I tested it with either Adrian or ChampionSteve (I don't remember), and it didn't work with Parental Bond.

And by the way, I thought Meloetta's form change was restricted to in-battle ?

That's what I said, lol (about Melo). Also, it does bring it does bring it down to 25%, where seismic toss kills everything. It does 200 damage, which is more than 25% of every pokemon in the game, which lets it get a 2hko on every pokemon that's not a ghost type, through burn, through defense boosts (maybe cosmic power or bulk up), and almost anything else.

Edit: I feel like you thought I meant that because parental bond works twice, that it's a 2hko on one turn. I meant two turns, as in, it uses super fang, and then seismic toss, which kills everything.

canno

formerly The Reptile
BEEP BEEP BIG THREAT COMING TROUGH

Talonflame @ Life Orb / Sharp Beak
EVs: 192 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 60 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash / Sword Dance
- Brave Bird
- Sacred Fire / V-Create / Flare Blitz
- Extreme Speed / Roost

This is is pretty simple. Smash and kill everything. What separates Talonflame from other Shell Smasher is Gale Wing. Gale Wing lets Talonflame bypass other priority except for ESpeed, which can be bypass by its own ESpeed. Because of Gale Wings, Sableye has troubles dealing with him. If Talonflame gets a Smash off, Sableye dies to Sharp Beak / LO Brave Bird (+2 252+ Atk Sharp Beak Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Sableye: 322-379 (105.92 - 124.67%) -- guaranteed OHKO). Sableye's best hope is to switch in on a +0 Brave Bird and bank on a really slim chance to live a 2HKO (252+ Atk Sharp Beak (custom) Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Sableye: 160-190 (52.63 - 62.5%) -- 99.61% chance to 2HKO - Life Orb just 2HKO's straight up). Shell Smash isn't even necessary - Sword Dance is perfectly fine by itself. Sacred Fire is there as a reliable base 100 STAB with 50% chance to burn, which makes Talonflame bulkier than it looks along with the HP investment. V-Create at that speed, however, should be illegal. Also, unlike other Fire V-Create spammers, Talonflame has priority STAB to bypass the -1 Speed. Flare Blitz is stronger than Sacred Fire and doesn't drop your speed, but the recoil isn't good when your main STAB also gives you recoil. Extreme Speed is there to hurt other ESpeeders before they try and get cheeky and ESpeed you. However, if you don't mind that, you can use Roost instead. If Flying STAB isn't the reason why you want to use Talonflame, then you can run Max Atk / Max Spe instead to abuse the fact that holy shit that's a fast V-Create. The current EV spread lets you smack Jolly Excadrill with Fire STAB. Everything else you'd probably want to smash with a Brave Bird.

Talonflame, however, has a terrible 4x SR weakness. Thankfully, Defog and better Rapid Spinners allowed make hazards have less of an impact in this gen, which is great for Talonflame.

BEEP BEEP BIG THREAT COMING TROUGH

Talonflame @ Life Orb / Sharp Beak
EVs: 192 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 60 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash / Sword Dance
- Brave Bird
- Sacred Fire / V-Create / Flare Blitz
- Extreme Speed / Roost

This is is pretty simple. Smash and kill everything. What separates Talonflame from other Shell Smasher is Gale Wing. Gale Wing lets Talonflame bypass other priority except for ESpeed, which can be bypass by its own ESpeed. Because of Gale Wings, Sableye has troubles dealing with him. If Talonflame gets a Smash off, Sableye dies to Sharp Beak / LO Brave Bird (+2 252+ Atk Sharp Beak Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Sableye: 322-379 (105.92 - 124.67%) -- guaranteed OHKO). Sableye's best hope is to switch in on a +0 Brave Bird and bank on a really slim chance to live a 2HKO (252+ Atk Sharp Beak (custom) Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Sableye: 160-190 (52.63 - 62.5%) -- 99.61% chance to 2HKO - Life Orb just 2HKO's straight up). Shell Smash isn't even necessary - Sword Dance is perfectly fine by itself. Sacred Fire is there as a reliable base 100 STAB with 50% chance to burn, which makes Talonflame bulkier than it looks along with the HP investment. V-Create at that speed, however, should be illegal. Also, unlike other Fire V-Create spammers, Talonflame has priority STAB to bypass the -1 Speed. Flare Blitz is stronger than Sacred Fire and doesn't drop your speed, but the recoil isn't good when your main STAB also gives you recoil. Extreme Speed is there to hurt other ESpeeders before they try and get cheeky and ESpeed you. However, if you don't mind that, you can use Roost instead. If Flying STAB isn't the reason why you want to use Talonflame, then you can run Max Atk / Max Spe instead to abuse the fact that holy shit that's a fast V-Create. The current EV spread lets you smack Jolly Excadrill with Fire STAB. Everything else you'd probably want to smash with a Brave Bird.

Talonflame, however, has a terrible 4x SR weakness. Thankfully, Defog and better Rapid Spinners allowed make hazards have less of an impact in this gen, which is great for Talonflame.
This Talonflame set is very similar to the one I posted, but considering that mine gets you to +6 with 75% HP and no recoil, I'd like to hear what advantages your set has besides being slightly easier to set up. (Also, thanks for reminding me to put other Fire-type options >_<)

canno

formerly The Reptile
This Talonflame set is very similar to the one I posted, but considering that mine gets you to +6 with 75% HP and no recoil, I'd like to hear what advantages your set has besides being slightly easier to set up. (Also, thanks for reminding me to put other Fire-type options >_<)
I think the main difference between the SD/Smash set I posted and the Belly set you posted is that the BellyDrum set is a lot more riskier than a simple Smash set and has to BD to use its main STAB. Also, you're set definitely needs Extreme Speed, since +6 makes lack of STAB not that big of an issue. Meanwhile, it lets you beat other ESpeeders, since ESpeed has +2 priority thus out prioritizing anything by Gale Wings. This does mean you can't run Steel Wing, which helps vs Rock-types, but I think it's worth it. Another advantage is that if the SD / Smash set fails to sweep, it can switch out and try again. I won't say that one is better than the other (+6 Talonflame is VERY scary, and those calcs on Gliscor / Landorous-T is very impressive), but SD is much safer and reliable. It really just come downs to preference imo.

EDIT: Also, while both are very weak to SR, BD is much more weaker to SR since SR eats up your berry at best and prevents you from setting up at all at worst

Uhm, Super Fang doesn't work like that. It first reduces your health to half of said health, and the second time it would do the same thing in theory (even then not KO'ing it, but bringing it to 25), but I tested it with either Adrian or ChampionSteve (I don't remember), and it didn't work with Parental Bond.

And by the way, I thought Meloetta's form change was restricted to in-battle ?
Super Fang actually works with Parental Bond now, so Mega Kanghaskhan is potentially broken since it destroys ghosts with Crunch and defeats the rest with Super Fang and Seismic Toss (Unless you count Sableye/Spiritomb.) I honestly think Boomburst Sylveon is unhealthy for the metagame, nothing truly walls it consistently.

Sableye is so much better now, Parting Shot is what makes Sableye such a dangerous threat, just spam Parting Shot for all you care and watch offense crumble! Even in Balanced Hackmons, Parting Shot is very powerful, some offensive players had to change the way they play just to cope with Parting Shot. Topsy Turvy is better known, but Substitute may be problematic for it. I use a set of:

Sableye @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Topsy-turvy
- Parting Shot
- Destiny Bond
- Recover

This set is pretty standard in BH (Except that it has all the ways of dealing with threats mashed into one.) Sableye doesn't even need sleep now, it's actually a really good lead with Parting Shot and can stop sweepers in their tracks with Topsy Turvy. One can truly abuse Sableye by using Volt-Turn to constantly stay ahead of offense. Volt-Turn-Parting-Baton Stall actually works really well in BH, it also works amazingly in here.

EV

Banned deucer.
Going back to last gen's discussion about Rotom, do you think it's still necessary to prohibit the formes transferring STABs? What consequences would this have? Would it make any of the formes too powerful? (More powerful than already huge threats like Sylveon, Talonflame, etc?)

I'm thinking Rotom-W is probably the happiest with stuff like Hydro Pump/Surf, Thunderbolt/Volt Switch, Ice Beam, Hurricane, Spore, potentially Roost, too. If we can allow out of battle forme changes like Shaymin to pass its STABs, why not Rotom?

EV

Banned deucer.
But that still doesn't give it any good setup moves. It's still just a somewhat bulky special attacker now with a much larger movepool. I mean, Shell Smash Espeon is insane. Boomburst Sylveon is insane. Adaptability Porygon-Z with Boomburst is insane. I guess I don't see Rotom breaking the metagame anytime soon if it had access to its other formes' STABs.

Pikachuun

the entire waruda machine
If we can allow out of battle forme changes like Shaymin to pass its STABs, why not Rotom?
Get a Hydro Pump Rotom-Fan in X/Y legit then come back to me on that.
It's not possible. The second you convert the forme back to another forme, the moves that it and only it got were deleted, which is why you don't see things like scarf Rotom-W running Overheat for coverage. My personal opinion is no for that reason, but do whatever you feel like.

So I know that STABmons is a very offensive metagame, and that's ok, but I think some bans should happen because some pokemon are ridiculous. Mega Kangashkhan is likely to go uber soon, and if you give it extremespeed and power up punch it should have gone there when it was released in January. That's it for now but it should definitely go, right now.

EV

Banned deucer.
I'd like to see some more evidence honestly. Has anyone tested MegaKhan in STABmons yet? Any reliable counters or checks? I'm not saying I don't believe you Asterat, but I'm just hesitant to start banning so quickly. I mean, there isn't even a Gen 6 ladder yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)