Ladder STABmons (the old one)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm subbing up.
I'm curious to see which mons will be the most hyped in XY.
Some more Ursaring sweeps ;]
I'm curious if Khanite will be legal as well.

I imagine STABmons will likely start with OU's banlist. Not to mention Mega Kangaskhan would be broken as shit with PB Super Fang + Seismic Toss. Guaranteed 2HKO on literally everything every non-ghost in the game. Nevermind its proficiency as a Shell Smasher.

Monte Cristo

Banned deucer.
Lol that's true forgot about that in that case there's no chance that he's unbanned
Why would blaziken ever get touched? It's literally the best fire type and best fighting type if it dropped, and it also got knock off gen 6 to destroy some switch ins, not only that but, CC gives it a non protect blocked fighting STAB

V-Create on Darmanitan is insane
252+ Atk Choice Band Darmanitan V-create vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Giratina in Sun: 243-286 (48.2 - 56.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
Need I say more? (252/4 is OHKOed after SR + 3 Layers of Spikes)

As with last generation, I prefer the use of V-create on non-choiced priority users, as they could bypass the speed drops and ward off easy revenge kills. Entei and Arcanine were effective in this role for me, but Flareon and Infernape are also capable.

Besides, V-Create doesn't benefit from Sheer Force. This means that it really doesn't hit all that much harder than Darm's 156 BP Flare Blitz, at least not appreciably so when you are already reaching such absurb power levels. I think the biggest addition for Darm is actually Sacred Fire, as it does benefit from Sheer Force, giving him a mostly (95%) reliable 130 BP STAB without drawbacks.

Last edited:
This V-create discussion actually just makes me want to try Pyroar more. He could an absolutely devastating mixed Shell Smasher even despite his low attack, owing to Moxie, the power of V-Create, and/or STAB Extreme Speed, backed up by his powerful special STABs in Blue Flare or Boomburst.

Also, Talonflame exists as one of the better V-creators, again owing to priority access, in this case what is still among the strongest priority attacks in the game.

By god that's insane have we discussed boomburst yet on pokemon other than sylveon? If not I would like to bring up rattata porygon z this has probably already been brought up but by god adaptability boomburst is insane.

+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Adaptability Porygon-Z Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Blissey: 689-811 (96.4 - 113.5%) -- 75% chance to OHKO

+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Adaptability Porygon-Z Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 572-673 (81.2 - 95.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

He's also got Shadow Ball, which provides near perfect coverage alongside Boomburst, only missing Bisharp and Tyranitar, leaving his 4th moveslot very flexible. STAB Adaptability ExtremeSpeed off a decent 80 Attack at +2? Hidden Power Fighting / Fist Plate Judgment? Lovely Kiss? Recover?

Last edited:
I was wondering what effects Steam Eruption, Hyperspace Hole and Diamond Storm will have on the metagame once the event legends are released. Any ideas?

Pikachuun

the entire waruda machine
I was wondering what effects Steam Eruption, Hyperspace Hole and Diamond Storm will have on the metagame once the event legends are released. Any ideas?
Steam Eruption: Go-to Water type STAB besides Water Spout in certain cases. It's a better Hydro Pump with a juicy chance to burn. Pretty good overall.
Hyperspace Hole: I don't see this being used that much, especially if it's a 2-turn move like rumors say it could be. It has the niche of going through Protective moves and having Perfect Accuracy, but tbh I don't see this thing getting used over Psystrike except in very specific cases.
Diamond Storm: Go-to Rock type STAB. It's a Stone Miss with more Accuracy that can also raise the user's defense stat. Pretty good overall.

Hyperspace Hole seems just like an Aura Sphere that can go through protect. not exactly very useful imo

But yeah, the other two are pretty gold, especially for Steam Eruption. It's basically a scald upgrade lmao

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
God knows, if there's one move that desperately needs upgrading, it's Scald.

Have we discussed Topsy-Turvy and/or Parting shot yet? They both make Sableye an absolute pain to deal with (not that it was easy to defeat before).
Geomancy turns Togekiss, Clefable and Sylveon into absolute monsters.
Freeze Dry might be decent, but I don't think there are any good Ice types to abuse it. Maybe Cloyster? That thing always has trouble with Water-types.
Spiky Shield and King's Shield could be good for Grass and Steel types respectively.
And Sticky Web would be fantastic for Scizor, especially since it already gets Defog.

Don't know I how I missed this one til now, was inspired by Shell Smash Slurpuff in Alphabet Cup, but Slurpuff + Unburden + Power Herb + Geomancy. Modest nature hits an absurd Speed stat of 972 after one Geomancy, meaning there is literally nothing in the game that can outrun it without their own crazy setup or priority. Even Timid Scarf Deoxys-S only hits 756. Priority is very common in this meta however and Slurpuff is Bullet Punch weak, and it's power may be somewhat underwhelming compared to many of the other setup sweepers in the meta (can't beat the blobs for example). Also has some 4MSS, as it needs Geomancy and a Fairy STAB (Dazzling Gleam or Draining Kiss), meaning you can't carry all three of Flamethrower, Surf and Psychic, which are needed to get passed Fairy resists.

But damn is it fast.

EDIT: Hell, even without any Speed investment Slurpuff hits 720, still faster than everything ever (watch out for them Scarf Deoxys lol). This allows you to relocate ALL of its Speed EVs into Defense to protect against priority, unless you are concerned about outspeeding certain targets unboosted.

Last edited:
That seems like a pretty absurd setup to me.
Its not too absurd, you would just do it with intent to outspeed Slurpuff and counter if you switch in on a Geomancy.

+2 252+ SpA Slurpuff Moonblast vs. 188 HP / 252 SpD Floatzel: 303-357 (84.6 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
56+ Atk Floatzel Aqua Tail vs. 4 HP / 252 Def Slurpuff in Rain: 153-181 (50 - 59.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Floatzel's EVs are 188 HP/56 Atk/252 SpD/12 Spe, with an Adamant nature, to get a 100% chance of a 2HKO while having only a not being OHKOed against Modest 4 HP/252 Def/252SpA Slurpuff, so you can switch in on the Geomancy, then use Aqua Tail as it attacks and win (unless you miss two consecutive aqua tails or Slurpuff gets a crit).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)